• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finished Barakamon recently and liked it (I'd rate it ~7/10) but I don't see the appeal of a spin-off taking place during Handa's high school year. While he's a solid character I thought the interaction with his friend (who's also an art dealer) was a bit on the weaker side and the short glimpse of their high school life looked hardly enticing. I'll watch an episode and see how it goes.

It's funny that a lot of the manga Crunchyroll has licensed have had anime adaptations announced in the past several months. ReLIFE, The Morose Mononokean, Sweetness and Lightning, Orange, Kiss Him Not Me, now Scum's Wish. Not that I think there's any direct connection, but it's an interesting coincidence.

Majin Bone 52 END

That was great. The show continues to impress to the very end by having the final resolution in the final episode not be about a punch, but a personal plea. Between the steady escalation of intensity and complexity, the commitment to having the characterization drive and motivate the action, and the resolve to keep character arcs going at all times, this has some of the strongest writing I've seen in a long-running anime. Except for the one recap episode, there are no throwaway episodes; every episode has a purpose in furthering the character drama and the overall narrative. It's incredible how this show takes a mobile card game and the basic structure of a battle shounen and turns them into an interesting and meaningful tale about humans, and their ability to change.

CdwtgG_VIAABod6.jpg

I have to give high praise to Konosuke Uda for overseeing this. A 52 episode Toei show isn't going to have great resources to work with, but Uda did his best with what he had, ensuring generally solid direction and effective storytelling. I really liked Ryo Onishi's adaptations of Murata's designs (except that Liebert's Nepos outfit was rather goofy, but whatever); despite being vastly inferior in production values there was more character in these designs than the adaptation of Murata designs used for the One Punch Man anime. Using the CG work of Dimps for a large portion of the show paid off as well, as it made for exciting action scenes that were great to look at, with strong camera work and some neat effects.

A real gem.

zulux21

i'll make a new thread in a bit (not having pied pipper in the tittle) but I wanted to mention that skip beat north american localization has moved to kickstarter

and I hope everyone in NA will think about pledging even at a low amount just to help even if you aren't interested in skip beat as there are still two good reasons to pledge even if you don't want skip beat.

1. they are going to do a in depth following of what it takes to localize and dub a series which could be fun to follow.

2. if this is successful the next show they do might be one that you want, if it isn't then they might not do any more.

note: in order to reduce the initial goal blu ray was pushed to a stretch goal.
Note: The $100 and $150 tiers will be upgraded to DVD/Blu-ray combo set upon reaching the $185K stretch goal to produce the Blu-ray.

animenewsnetwork article about it.

So I know I'm supposed to joke about how Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress still looks a lot like AOT with trains based on the latest trailer....

...but that preview had a ninja girl, fighting with two double barrel shotguns in each hand, blowing zombies off the top of a train.

That's awesome to me.

I really don't like exclusivity stuff like this. It's enough that I have to subscribe to both Funimation and Crunchyroll to watch airing shows legally. I don't want to add another one to the list.

I understand and agree as a customer, but it makes sense that streaming services want to give people a reason to subscribe to their service over others.

duckroll

So I know I'm supposed to joke about how Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress still looks a lot like AOT with trains based on the latest trailer....

...but that preview had a ninja girl, fighting with two double barrel shotguns in each hand, blowing zombies off the top of a train.

That's awesome to me.

Araki is an awesome director. He directs awesome stuff, Even potato chips are awesome,

blurr

That's awesome to me.

Do you have a link for that?

JKTrix

It's funny that a lot of the manga Crunchyroll has licensed have had anime adaptations announced in the past several months. ReLIFE, The Morose Mononokean, Sweetness and Lightning, Orange, Kiss Him Not Me, now Scum's Wish. Not that I think there's any direct connection, but it's an interesting coincidence.
Probably less coincidence. It's not Crunchyroll, but Vertical has said (in a panel that I was present at a few years ago) that they are much more likely to release a manga series if they know an anime is coming for it. Sometimes they would know long before a public announcement that one is coming.

I imagine CR has similar insight and strategy.

zulux21

I hope it finds more success on KS. Show definitely deserves it(If fallen off it cause im busy with wedding stuff atm but it's definitely a show worth backing and ive thoroughly enjoyed what ive seen so far)

Still salty they can't get an EU edition though.

yeah they only got NA rights sadly.
though since the launch of the indiegogo they have gotten some rights to make some merch thus they have add ons this time
ADD-ONS

Add these Kickstarter Exclusive Skip Beat items to your reward by increasing your pledge.

T-shirt - $35 US/$40 Canada (incl. shipping)
Swag Set - $25 US/$30 Canada (incl. shipping) - includes Embroidered patch, Can badge and Stationery

but yeah the only thing that might be of real interest for non NA people is the $15 tier.
LME CALL BACK
includes $10 tier, so you get Special thank you message from the Skip Beat! production team, Official Backer Badge download, Weekly behind-the-scenes updates, Name on Skip Beat! Backer Wall, and Wallpaper download PLUS Exclusive access to monthly video "sneak peeks" into the dub process!

as updates about behind the scenes and video previews of the dub process could be fun to follow (I know I am looking forward to it)

ideally if this is successful some other company will release it in EU. I mean worst case you could try to find a kind gaffer that would back the project and ship to the EU.

Cornbread78

Planetes ep.17:
OK, the tone of the show is starting to change again; now more in line with 5CM. Hachi is going at the end for Jupiter, isn't he? This is gonna suck..

Probably less coincidence. It's not Crunchyroll, but Vertical has said (in a panel that I was present at a few years ago) that they are much more likely to release a manga series if they know an anime is coming for it. Sometimes they would know long before a public announcement that one is coming.

I imagine CR has similar insight and strategy.

Ah, that would make sense. An anime adaptation can increase awareness and sales for manga worldwide, so I can see why publishers would want to get in on that as soon as they can.

Thanks. I'll wait for impressions.

That ninja girl fighting on top of the train - wasn't feeling it personally. Not sure why but I guess I like it more when action sequences implicitly or explicitly give a sense of scale of the event. It was a bit obscure with this one.

Poor camera movement and the character feels weightless.

Crocodile

Meh

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So guessing that Amazon starts funding their own anime shows. Should be interesting with both Amazon and Netflix getting into the business.

I'd be done for it. It won't guarantee quality but it should at least increase the likelyhood of interesting material/subject matter. Or at the very least I can be confident shows funded by those outlets won't be LN trash or full of common LN tropes.

zulux21

I'd be done for it. It won't guarantee quality but it should at least increase the likelyhood of interesting material/subject matter. Or at the very least I can be confident shows funded by those outlets won't be LN trash or full of common LN tropes.

i'm hoping amazon's first backed series is LN trash so that I can get a second season of the devil is a part timer :p

wheeplash

Kabaneri's facial artstyle is very reminiscent of this particularly famous nurse-themed ehmm ... adult series.
*Cough cough* what was that?

sonicmj1

Araki is an awesome director. He directs awesome stuff, Even potato chips are awesome,
Whatever Araki does, he's always trying to grab your attention, no matter what's taking place.

His episodes of Aoi Bungaku ("In the Forest, Under Cherries in Full Bloom") are certainly some sort of adventure.

Kabaneri's facial artstyle is very reminiscent of this particularly famous nurse-themed ehmm ... adult series.
*Cough cough* what was that?

I don't know what you're referring to, but Kabaneri's original character designs are by the character designer of the original Macross.

Whatever Araki does, he's always trying to grab your attention, no matter what's taking place.

His episodes of Aoi Bungaku ("In the Forest, Under Cherries in Full Bloom") are certainly some sort of adventure.

That's one way of putting it...

JCG

I am sure Kabaneri will be popular, because the production values seem slick and the Araki/Sawano duo can provide plenty of inherent blockbuster appeal, but it doesn't really look too interesting to me. Evidently, Tetsuro Araki has plenty of visual polish and technical skill, yet I still think most of his projects tend to feel rather empty and /or nihilistic at their core, beneath all the bombast and loudness. Even when it comes to adaptations of existing source material, I think he overly emphasizes the more superficially shocking and cynical aspects of each work.

This time around they're obviously going to be following the Attack on Titan formula in almost everything except setting. Beyond that, all these trailers just give me the impression of an ultra-violent 1980s OVA with lots of gore, fanservice, zombies, samurai/ninja action and so on, where increasingly horrible things will happen to keep the story moving.

Qurupeke

Phantom World 11

That was legitimately good. There have been episodes that were funny, dramatic, action or just fanservice but this episode hit every goal, and it did everything right. Looking forward to the next and final episode. Chances for a second season are probably pretty slim, but I ended up liking this show. Sure, it may be a bit trashy with all that fan service and there have been episodes that are really underwhelming and/or boring, but all in all , it was a rather enjoyable watch.

I am sure Kabaneri will be popular, because the production values seem slick and the Araki/Sawano duo can provide plenty of inherent blockbuster appeal, but it doesn't really look too interesting to me. Evidently, Tetsuro Araki has plenty of visual polish and technical skill, yet I still think most of his projects tend to feel rather empty and /or nihilistic at their core, beneath all the bombast and loudness. Even when it comes to adaptations of existing source material, I think he overly emphasizes the more superficially shocking and cynical aspects of each work.

This time around they're obviously going to be following the Attack on Titan formula in almost everything except setting. Beyond that, all these trailers just give me the impression of an ultra-violent 1980s OVA with lots of gore, fanservice, zombies, samurai/ninja action and so on, where increasingly horrible things will happen to keep the story moving.

Sounds like the Anime Savior people want.

Phantom World 11

That was legitimately good. There have been episodes that were funny, dramatic, action or just fanservice but this episode hit every goal, and it did everything right. Looking forward to the next and final episode. Chances for a second season are probably pretty slim, but I ended up liking this show. Sure, it may be a bit trashy with all that fan service and there have been episodes that are really underwhelming and/or boring, but all in all , it was a rather enjoyable watch.

Either a second season or a movie seem likely, actually, since KyoAni has been doing one or the other for all their TV properties since Chuunibyou.

Quasar

Instead we'll get trash like fuller house.

And I guess new voltron is the anime equivalent.

zulux21

Wake me up when Amazon/Netflix/etc start funding anime like Rakugo Shinjuu.

you likely will never wake.

the best hope you have will be something like Dimension W (funimation funded) because the only things that really sell in english are action and boobs.

you aren't likely to get a show that isn't packed with one of those as the companies just care about sales/ratings.

otherwise instead of hoping for a devil is a part timer 2 (which has a very slightly chance but not much of one) to skip beat season 2 (which has no chance unless pied piper gets the dub on netflix and it against all odds does crazy viewings)

Wake me up when Amazon/Netflix/etc start funding anime like Rakugo Shinjuu.

Sleep long and tight then.

One can only imagine they'll do their best to cater to the largest possible audiences until a larger market it established. Until then...well, we could always be lucky and there happens to be a creative producer or so that manages to pitch a different sort of project after all...

you likely will never wake.

the best hope you have will be something like Dimension W (funimation funded) because the only things that really sell in english are action and boobs.

you aren't likely to get a show that isn't packed with one of those as the companies just care about sales/ratings.

otherwise instead of hoping for a devil is a part timer 2 (which has a very slightly chance but not much of one) to skip beat season 2 (which has no chance unless pied piper gets the dub on netflix and it against all odds does crazy viewings)

Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. Thinking that Western companies funding anime will "increase the likelihood of interesting material/subject matter" seems misguided, unless you just want more of the type of show Toonami airs.

Quasar

Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. Thinking that Western companies funding anime will "increase the likelihood of interesting material/subject matter" seems misguided, unless you just want more of the type of show Toonami airs.

Certainly given my disinterest in what netflix funds with us tv I'm not holding out hope they would produce any animation I'd like. Though they did at least license sidonia, which I did like.

And one the amazon side, nothing outside man in the high castle has been of interest.

Jarmel

Banned
Please tell me that Kabaneri trailer didn't spoil the major twist or whatever of the opening episode? In that the main character gets killed.

lol watch then that the Yuki Kaiji character becomes the lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom