• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tales of Zestiria X coming 2016 summer.
Let's see Ufotable will make the story better or will make Japanese even more mad lol.

If this is an adaptation, I hope Ufotable presents the story better than how it's presented in the game!

As much as I love Tales games, I can't say I'm too excited for this one, as I wasn't a big fan of Zestiria. I'd have preferred a Graces or Xillia adaptation.

The former would especially be fun.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Uhhh, what. That was not what I was expecting, at all. I'd always see the show on Netflix and never thought of checking it out just because (if I'm being honest) the name of the show, the character designs, and the synopsis made me think it'd be the kind of show I wouldn't enjoy. My niece was over and thought it looked interesting so I put it on expecting it to be kid friendly (she's almost 5) but goddamn, the show is savage.

Honestly the title of the show and the character designs (plus the colours) made me think it was just going to be your average cheery kids show about witches. I wasn't even paying any attention to it while it was playing, but the second the fight music started playing and I saw the design of the witches and what was actually happening on screen I was like nope. Turned it off straight away. I'll be watching the rest of it myself though because it seems quite interesting.

Going into Madoka Magica blissfully unaware is the best way to watch it, but yeesh, at least check the rating before putting an anime on if there's a child in the room! Thank goodness you stopped where you did!

Nevertheless, Madoka Magica is a fantastic show and is one of my all time favorites. You should definitely watch the whole thing through to the end, it's quite a ride.

I love the new utapri arts we get for stuff, really like this ittoki otoya.
CeKE7U_UkAE8T67.jpg:large

Uhhh, what. That was not what I was expecting, at all. I'd always see the show on Netflix and never thought of checking it out just because (if I'm being honest) the name of the show, the character designs, and the synopsis made me think it'd be the kind of show I wouldn't enjoy. My niece was over and thought it looked interesting so I put it on expecting it to be kid friendly (she's almost 5) but goddamn, the show is savage.

Yup you got out while the getting was good for your niece, head back in for yourself though that show goes places and then some. I was also scratching my head for the first while, 'sure the animation is ridiculously imaginative but is that it?', but then it started going and I wound up staying up till 4am to watch it through because I was that hooked. You have been warned :D

It's not like Berserk is that big of a deal in Japan is it ? I'm looking at the last released volume sales and it probably barely crosses 300k mark in the first 4 weeks if even that. (277 k sales after first three weeks, doesn't rank in the fourth where the last ranked position sold 23,728 ) So it has good, very good sales but ones that however pale in comparison to titles at the peak of the charts.

Or Bleach.
Does Bleach still sell over 300k volumes? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Though bleach also hasn't had an anime in a while so...

Cornbread78

Your Lie in April - Ep. 5
Kaori is pretty much dead already isn't she?
This is going to suck really hard, because she is a pretty amazing character.

Baby steps, that is the best way to go through this series, as there is a lot more to watch along the way.

Nah, I turned it off before then once I actually saw what was happening. Just the first ep and a bit of the second.

Nice save

Yup you got out while the getting was good for your niece, head back in for yourself though that show goes places and then some. I was also scratching my head for the first while, 'sure the animation is ridiculously imaginative but is that it?', but then it started going and I wound up staying up till 4am to watch it through because I was that hooked. You have been warned :D

It was one of the first shows I ever watched because these bastards here made we watch it right after TTGL and School Days (ahhh the memories of a year ago) Having said that, yeah, the show definitely goes places once you hit ep.3, lol. Neither Madoka or Yuki Yuna are innocent "Magical Girl" animes, lol.

T-Rex.

Banned
Going into Madoka Magica blissfully unaware is the best way to watch it, but yeesh, at least check the rating before putting an anime on if there's a child in the room! Thank goodness you stopped where you did!

Nevertheless, Madoka Magica is a fantastic show and is one of my all time favorites. You should definitely watch the whole thing through to the end, it's quite a ride.

I definitely should have done more research on it beforehand which was my bad. Judging from what others have said in this thread it looks like it gets even darker as it goes on so I lucked out otherwise I'd be getting chokeslammed straight to hell by my sister in law. The positive is my niece wasn't upset by what she saw, I think she didn't really realise what was going on and also I'll now be checking out an anime I wouldn't have otherwise - and what looks to be a very good one at that.

phaze

Thats it! I'll meet you in the highest place in the world in one hour!

Better be there!

---
Does Bleach still sell over 300k volumes? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Though bleach also hasn't had an anime in a while so...

Over the course of a year (and it's been getting continuously lower since then) compared to a month

Manga Sales March March 7-13

*1. 268,293 639,558 Haikyuu!! Vol.20
*2. 236,685 663,890 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Vol.18
*3. 152,092 341,900 Shokugeki no Souma Vol.17
*4. 151,330 151,330 Mahoutsukai no Yome Vol.5
*5. 145,281 343,018 Bleach Vol.71
*6. 132,621 132,621 Chihayafuru Vol.31
*7. 116,787 117,638 Yowamushi Pedal Vol.44
*8. 105,861 202,404 Prison School Vol.20
*9. 102,275 245,209 Gintama Vol.63
10. 101,198 257,631 World Trigger Vol.14

2nd week I think, already past it.

Taboo-Tattoo coming 2016 summer.
http://tabootattoo-anime.com/
EditSynopsis
Seigi, a martial arts trained middle-schooler, often feels driven to protect the weaker people around him. One day, he defends a homeless man against some punks, and the man gives him a strange tattoo on his palm in return. The tattoo is a secret weapon produced in the arms race between America and the Serinistan Kingdom.

Seigi finds himself in over his head when a powerful girl, using the same secret weapon, violently pursues him in order to retrieve it. His skill at martial arts may not be enough to keep him alive, but will he be able to learn how to trigger the power of his tattoo in time?
hhrjiUQ.jpg

It was one of the first shows I ever watched because these bastards here made we watch it right after TTGL and School Days (ahhh the memories of a year ago)

It warms my heart to see anime fans still fucking with each other the same way we used to years ago. Some traditions never die.

Nice boat.

Qurupeke

Don't forget to watch the 3rd movie. :))))))

Yeah, Taboo Tattoo is pretty baller. It's not like Citizen Kane or anything, it's just straight fun. Bet five bucks at least 3 people call it edgy or tryhard though.

It's trashy but also a lot of fun. The mangaka was the mangaka for Fate/Zero and it shows as the main character essentially becomes Kiri over the course of the manga.

Hmmm colour me interested then, a combination of lovely art and long mid battle monologues on the nature of duty and honour are my bag! Of course it means I'm going to have to put up with a few unexpected side dishes of ew but give/take I guess

Edit: Haaa!! OniBarubary fancy picking my lotto numbers this evening? :D

Jarmel

Banned
I do have some concerns in that it will take awhile before the anime really gets going. I don't know if they're going to speed up the first half a bit. They might do a split cour as there is enough material there and if they end the first cour where I think they will, it serves as a good ender.

I'm also concerned about the staff as Takashi Watanabe isn't a great director. The animation director is going to have to deal with a lot of action and so if the animation director isn't good, this could turn out to be a mess.

Prince of Stride Alternative Episode 12 [END] End of Summer and Beyond
CeKqAHOUMAAs87Q.jpg:large

Decent closing episode, I would have wished for more of the Stride than some of the stuff at the start of the episode but otherwise it redeemed itself over the course of the episode. You Got To Show Me came on just at the right time and all the feelings and emotions shared bonds and friendship was lovely. Ill definitely buy this once it comes out and will continue my rewatch though of the dub version.

Really good sports anime for 2016. 10/10

GalStan forever.

JulianImp

Eureka Seven #20-21
Plot's moving forward slowly, but surely now. Eureka's new haircut looks messy, but is to be expected after she was coated in flowstone or something. I kind of liked how Renton kept being unable to understand the adult's real intentions until someone else flat out explained them to him and kept misunderstanding things as a result. It speaks volumes about the characters that it isn't just Renton being bitchy and Holland being a jerk, but rather about both of them being unable to come to terms with something.

Now poor Renton finally realized he was actually fighting and killing people. The berserk state he went into was really brutal, and seeing the enemy pilot's severed arm drop to the ground after the Nirvash ground it to a pulp was both upsetting and provoking. Now Renton's got to come to terms with the fact he and his cool friends had been killing their opponents all this time, which torn his ideal of Gekkostate being a radical group of free (wo)men to shreds and will take him a while to process.

Meanwhile, the enemy forces are still preparing themselves for confronting Holland and co. I've got to say Anemone's sudden change of behavior as soon as the guy dropped Dewy's name into the conversation was also interesting in a twisted way. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to see what's the deal with these three characters.

Oh, and it was obviously time for them to spring the Chekov's gun they had armed when Holland received that bottle of holy water (or whatever) from that religious woman. What's really going on is still being kept under wraps for now, which makes sense since throwing lots of complicated explanations at Renton at once would be too much.

Punch Line had Squid Hoodie Dress that made you invisible. Any argument about the quality of Punch Line is invalid in the face of that.

I will pay someone $500 Big Joe American Greenbacks to make that Squoodie for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom