• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

It and Dragon Ball are the two shows I can't watch in other languages. The other shows I watched back then often had awful dubs though, so I didn't care about switching over to Japanese for Conan, for example.

Then there's Dotto Koni-chan, but that show's latin dub is on a league of its own.

BluWacky

Epic troll if true.

I don't think it's designed to troll that much, only to an English audience. The logo is highly reminiscent of Free!'s logo - plus it's "yuuri" with a double U in the original kana, which is obviously distinct from the lily/lesbian version romanised with a single u (as per the kana title of Yuri Kuma Arashi) and often used for male names.

Obviously the subtitle has led many astray, but the above, plus the staff (as ANN notes, Sayo Yamamoto did the awesome male figure skating short for Japan Animator Expo), suggests misjudged expectations on the Western fanbase's part.

From the comments...

Epic troll if true.

I don't think it's designed to troll that much, only to an English audience. The logo is highly reminiscent of Free!'s logo - plus it's "yuuri" with a double U in the original kana, which is obviously distinct from the lily/lesbian version romanised with a single u (as per the kana title of Yuri Kuma Arashi) and often used for male names.

Obviously the subtitle has led many astray, but the above, plus the staff (as ANN notes, Sayo Yamamoto did the awesome male figure skating short for Japan Animator Expo), suggests misjudged expectations on the Western fanbase's part.

Nevermind, anime is bad again.

Line_HTX

Those 90s / Early 2000s ADV dubs were legit awful. IMO the worst one had to be Initial D First Stage. I was very displeased to find that they used the localized manga script for their dialogue.

Clov

Really looking forward to Yuri on Ice, since I really enjoyed the Endless Night short. Hope it's something along those lines.

Pooya

Tales of Zestiria X coming 2016 summer.
Let's see Ufotable will make the story better or will make Japanese even more mad lol.

Has ufotable made any story better ever? I'm not sure why people expect that every time some new adaptation comes up. In case of god eater, they somehow even made it worse. lol

Cornbread78

Otome x Amnesia ep.10-END +Special
LKzUsRz.jpg

xlKkC0j.gif

wiG1k31.gif

OK, that was pretty damn good. I mean, it didn't excel in any given area, but it was entertaining throughout Yuuko's story. It also had some amazing imagery, both to represent the positives and negatives and often had a very dark filter to the show during those times (too dark at times where you could only really see the subtitles.) The show had a really good mix of comedy with the interactions between the characters, especially with Momo, because that was pretty much her only use on the show other than the small non-harem, harem aspect of the show. It also had some heartfelt drama ( ep. 12, damn.... we'll get back to that. and decent mystery aspects as they looked into Yuuko's past, however, there were some moments of confusion towards the end of episode 9 that made completely no sense, but, thankfully, it was immediately rectified in episode 10 when Teiichi
was living her memories from the past
which was an interesting way to actually walk a mile in her shoes and find a way to piece everything back together...

I forgot to talk about the romance aspect, which was quote, but was not as fleshed out as you would think, until the very end. If nothing else, it was funnier to watch Kirie's reaction to their relationship as she would constantly get flustered watching them be all cute together.

Now, that ending..... Small rant incoming...
Let me preface this by saying I love a happy ending; I almost beg for a happy ending in everything I watch because I want to feel all warm and fuzzy as well. The themes of closure and despair were portrayed well for 11 episodes and they had a really emotional moment to close things out; which was sad and well done. That had to be the case as with all ghosts, right? However, they kissed when she was already invisible and she was all but gone and that allowed her to come back due to things being "unresolved" from that kiss? Does he have to screw her for her to rest in peace now or something; she's a friggen' ghost? I get it, the shippers (like me, yes, I admit it) are happy with that and it allowed them to make that special for ep.13, (which was a typical, useless, OVA) With that being said, the show should have set it up that this was a possibility during the show because as it was presented it just felt like a complete a$$pull. This is why I don't understand why so many people give Clannad so much $hit or the way it handled it's ending, when it was done 1,000,000,000 times better than this "happy ending". That show literally forecasted it from the first episode one and continued it's themes until the very end, and was beautiful. This one, she just comes out of nowhere and says, "I'm back" immediately after a pretty damn emotional scene and makes you go, "huh?" I usually give this stuff a free pass, but she was a ghost dammit, it should have opened up the door for a threesome with Kirie and Momo (I kid, I kid), more like, Kirie allowed Yuuko's spirit to infuse with her (since they are family and all) and he could have hooked up with her,, now that would have been pretty cool actually. That way they could have had little Yuuko/Kirie babies

All in all I liked the show and its balance of tone throughout the series and was rather enjoyable to watch for Yuuko.

tuffy

Otome x Amnesia ep.10-END +Special

<snip>

Now, that ending..... Small rant incoming...
It's not really a happy ending if one thinks about it for five minutes. Her ghost is still stuck in that school so they're going to be separated again eventually once the guy graduates, so it's not like they have any real future. Thus, the whole "I'm back" thing is just a way to shoehorn in a needlessly happy ending where something more bittersweet would suffice.

Cornbread78

It's not really a happy ending if one thinks about it for five minutes. Her ghost is still stuck in that school so they're going to be separated again eventually once the guy graduates, so it's not like they have any real future. Thus, the whole "I'm back" thing is just a way to shoehorn in a needlessly happy ending where something more bittersweet would suffice.

Exactly my point! It just feels
way out of place with her coming back, when a sad or alternate ending like I mentioned could have been much more impactful. The whole happy silly thing didn't match the theme/tone from the previous 11 episodes.

Qurupeke

RahXephon [END]

Haha. Oh my god. I take back my previous statement because in this show the best girl and the worst girl win.
Because they end up as the same person.
And someone got robbed twice but whatever.

Pretty exciting anime, and it's a shame that it seems only a handful of people have watched this or consider it as anything more than a NGE clone. Despite the similarities, which are undoubtedly there, to both NGE and EoE, it's still pretty different, so calling it a rip off is just so wrong. Comparing the two, I think I liked it more than NGE, though I ought to rewatch it some time and I don't think I'm the best person to judge it. RahXephon has a better cast, while NGE has better main characters. RahXephon had a better "religious" vibe and themes, while NGE had better mechas/angels. RahXephon had a better story(and ending), but NGE had better action. All of these are just my personal opinion, obviously.

The show is a bit slow for its first half, but then it gets more and more intense, as the story unfolds. And the ending, while it was pretty good, has left me with quite a few questions, kind of expected as the anime dealt with some weird plot elements. Overall though, it was pretty good. It greatly blends religious themes and concepts from classical music, it has decent action and nice characters moments and it has great music. I definitely prefer Eureka 7, the other Bones mecha show, but both of them are pretty different so it's not really fair to compare those two. I recommend it, especially to people that watched and loved NGE, and hopefully they'll like it too, and they won't deem it a rip off...

Lala/10

animegaf help me

I'm writing a story right now, and I realized that I've been watching too much anime --

all my main characters are girls. Not to say there's anything wrong with that, it's just that I don't really know where I'd add some dudes to the roster. There's 6 main characters, all girls, and they gel really well together. I literally cannot think of how to add male characters who are not total idiots. I do feel kinda weird in hindsight having made practically a girls club idol group subconciously.

It's taking place in this sort of blend of post-Gold Rush San Francisco, and while I'm not going to write characters out of the main lineup, I am having trouble thinking of legitimate reasons why 6 young adult girls are together. Am I just getting super derivative if I just put them in the school environment? Is there any other legit reason for 6 young adults to be in one place?

Dynedom

Been putting off my re-watch of RahXehon for some time. I think I left my DVDs in Toronto.

I swear I've made this post before. =\

pbayne

Has ufotable made any story better ever? I'm not sure why people expect that every time some new adaptation comes up. In case of god eater, they somehow even made it worse. lol

They did all right with the Symphonia OVAs so eh ill give them the benefit of doubt. There's almost no story in Zesteria anyway so there's nothing to spoil and anything they add would probably be an improvement.

I actually can't watch FLCL with the Japanese voices. The English ones just ARE that show for me. They just...fit.

Completely agree it's one of the best translations and dubs ive ever heard. Didn't Gainax themselves help oversee some of the translation to help fit some jokes?

Qurupeke

RahXephon is hardly obscure. It says more about this thread than anything if not many people left have watched it.

Yeah, I wouldn't really call it obscure. It just seems that people rarely mention it here when they talk about animes with mecha or Bones. And I'd understand if this was a bad or mediocre show, but other than people that didn't like it because of NGE, the consensus is positive. I'm pretty new here though, so I've probably missed many older discussions.

If you've watched Evangelion, you've watched RaXephon.

It's taking place in this sort of blend of post-Gold Rush San Francisco, and while I'm not going to write characters out of the main lineup, I am having trouble thinking of legitimate reasons why 6 young adult girls are together. Am I just getting super derivative if I just put them in the school environment? Is there any other legit reason for 6 young adults to be in one place?

I wouldn't say that you especially need a super specific reason for 6 young adult girls to be in one place. You could just say that they're good friends and have known each other for years throughout high school, university, or whatever.

Cornbread78

animegaf help me?

What is the plot/theme/tone of the story your trying to tell and most importantly, eho is your audience? This says a lot more about the characters than anything.

If they are in SF, do you want to add that stereotypical gay guy that hangs out with all the single ladies? The office worker that tries to hang on to one of the lead ladies to meet her friends?

Jarmel

Banned
EVA and Raph are different shows despite similar storyboarding/scenes. One is a romance and the other is about Anno Shinji being as miserable as possible.

Non-Americans rejoice! Crunchyroll has Diamond is Unbreakable for streaming!

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DUWANG.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS AS I HAVE NOT READ DIAMOND IS UNBREAKABLE BUT I HEARD THAT IT'S FROM THAT PART AND I THINK IT SOUNDS COOL AND I'M SUPER HAPPY SO I'M SAYING IT ANYWAY.

YES.

What is the plot/theme/tone of the story your trying to tell and most importantly, eho is your audience? This says a lot more about the characters than anything.

If they are in SF, do you want to add that stereotypical gay guy that hangs out with all the single ladies? The office worker that tries to hang on to one of the lead ladies to meet her friends?

It's sorta like a Scooby Doo and the gang story that takes place in a fantasy not-really-San Francisco Bay Area in the 1890's before the great earthquake. The whole monster of the week episodic setup.

Oh, it's for an RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom