• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best boy in Divine Gate? Sign me up.
CeNppvtWwAAABi2.jpg

Yeah, Mr. Tsurumaki (not "Sudamaki-san") himself did.

It is a nice opportunity to point-out that GAiNAX, probably as a remnant of their bigger international projection days during the GENERAL PRODUCTS 'American branch' era, had in the figure of former AnimEigo's Tokyo office employee Michael House an in-house translator during great part of the 90s until the early-00s. He not only made the first script translations for English subtitles on the Japanese domestic digital-disc releases of FLCL, but also handled a lot of content translation for both products and the English version of their own website too (anything related to the studio's news, staff columns, game division products and more... except the diaries of Mr. Takeda & Co.)!

All this greatly appreciated by the foreign fandom, something I remember fondly from my beginning steps onto it. :'-)

That's neat to know.

Just T

Gintama: 315

Bittersweet but great episode.
That scene in the forest was intense when they thought Kondo was gone, luckily they got motivated again quick. The Nobume and Isaburo scenes were really sad but I did laugh when Tetsunosuke's face came into the frame haha. Same with the Vagina suggestion in the flashback, it was a sweet scene though in addition to the last dialogue. Sucks Katsura didn't see Utsuro though.

I think it sells moderately well, but they announced it at the end of the last season. 3rei actually takes a more serious tone compared to the earlier seasons so there should be less loli fanservice stuff.

Please, oh please, oh please! I watch this because I love to see the weirdness of the Fate universe creeping in at the edges of a sunny magical girl story, the absurd amount of loli-con shite meant I must have skipped at least 20% of the series so far.
Also I needed to see at least one Fate series where Ilya wasn't the most tragic child in the history of the universe.

Qurupeke

Gintama and Osomatsu-san are also ending next week and with Konosuba over already, I'm already feeling the lack of comedies next season. Other than Sakamoto and the TRIGGER short, there doesn't seem to be anything else.

Cornbread78

Gintama and Osomatsu-san are also ending next week and with Konosuba over already, I'm already feeling the lack of comedies next season. Other than Sakamoto and the TRIGGER short, there doesn't seem to be anything else.

well, hopefully this one delivers:

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?

Genres: Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School
Light Novel/ Studio: Project No.9

Lucien has been badly burned when he discovered that the girl he fell in love in a MMORPG was a guy and has started living in the mentality that "there are no girls on the internet". Life is up for a surprise for him when he discovers that the player of the character he has "married" ingame is a beautiful girl. The problem is that while cute she more than a little unhinged and cannot discern reality from game, so Lucien and his guild decide to work together to reeducate her and turn her into an acceptable member of society. One of the main Female leads is a yandere.

PV:
https://youtu.be/_iMzdyYRPrk

Can I also mention the disturbing amount of Megumin fan art there is online right now!! It's like Darkness and Aqua don't exist...

Samurai Flamenco - 11

Haha what! I was wondering how they were going to continue after last episode, and immediately they turn it up to eleven. That said I'm going to miss
Torture's presence, not to mention Hayami's voice!
When they dropped the "Flamengers" with everyone being Red I lost it, and 'From Beyond' hijacking electronics to air trailers for their monsters. I'm glad they're still going strong with the ridiculous monster designs.

Personal highlight of the episode [sound]

Sölf

I doubt it, but we'll see. When I read Konosuba's summary at the start of the season I dismissed it, and it turned out to be great.

Yeah, it sounded like just another LN Fantasy Parallel World adaption. Well, I watched it in 2 days after all episodes released.

Cornbread78

I doubt it, but we'll see. When I read Konosuba's summary at the start of the season I dismissed it, and it turned out to be great.

Sölf;199002290 said:
Yeah, it sounded like just another LN Fantasy Parallel World adaption. Well, I watched it in 2 days after all episodes released.

Even I wasn't expecting it to be that good; I just liked the character designs, lol. Then the show started airing and I laughed histarically the whole time.

Hopefully, this new one can be a good fun watch for the spring.

I'm skeptical of the Sakamoto anime. I'm more interested in the other Studio DEEN comedy show, Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou, because Akitaro Daichi is a good, highly experienced comedy director. Daichi's last show at DEEN, Maido! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku, was quite good.

well, hopefully this one delivers:

Can I also mention the disturbing amount of Megumin fan art there is online right now!! It's like Darkness and Aqua don't exist...

It's too bad, cause Dustiness da gawd.

Netoge's pretty good, at least from the manga. It's different than the other shows lately - although it's definitely more school harem than fantasy RPG.

In fairness, Gintama hasn't really been a comedy these last few episodes

Sölf;199005392 said:
And with "these last few episodes" we mean like 16 episodes. So the whole season. Like, fuck. Newest epsiode isn't any better. Still serious arc. And I love it.
I meant especially the last few, since early episodes in the arcs did still have a lot of jokes relative to now. But Gintama is amazing serious or comedy, and I'd really be interested in seeing Sorachi make a more traditional action shonen when Gintama is done (though it should still have a ton of his trademark humor of course)

JulianImp

Eureka Seven #22-26
Nice. Renton embarks on a journey to find what he wants to do and he meets lots of different people that were decently handled. Ray and Charles were especially nice since they weren't handled like generic antagonists that'd turn on Renton as soon as they realized he was with Holland. Seeing them react to that and deciding to support him no matter what was really nice.

Then there's the fact that Eureka did regain her agency, and actually set out on her own to go and find Renton. Power of love and all that, but it's still a nice development since it forced Holland to admit she chose to side with Renton instead of him.

There're still lots of questions left unanswered, like why Charles refered to Eureka as a doll (I do remember some other character mentioning something about vessels several episodes back) and what the heck was up with the tea-drinking man that'd pop up out of nowhere. The most conspicuous appearance was when Talho peered inside Renton's room and when the camera switched back to showing the walkway the guy had already set his rug and other stuff up right behind where Talho was standing.

Things have definitely picked up after the drought that was the previous arc, so I'm definitely excited to see where things go from here.

Even I wasn't expecting it to be that good; I just liked the character designs, lol. Then the show started airing and I laughed histarically the whole time.

Hopefully, this new one can be a good fun watch for the spring.

I saw what looked like an Asuna expy and didn't think I'd like it, but hey, it was good!

The cast tends to rely on their single relevant character trait (Megumin being useless after a single explosion spell, Darkness being a masochist, Aqua being a selfish jerk and Kazuma being the straight man to the girl's boke acts), but it was still fun to watch due to how it never took itself seriously in neither its plot or setting.

is sakamoto really a comedy, I dont know how it will remain interesting for 22 minutes each week.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I kind of ended up liking Grimgar after a cold start. I liked the weirdly awkward take of "slice of life" in a trapped in RPG show.

Cornbread78

Eureka Seven #22-26
Nice. Renton embarks on a journey to find what he wants to do and he meets lots of different people that were decently handled. Ray and Charles were especially nice since they weren't handled like generic antagonists that'd turn on Renton as soon as they realized he was with Holland. Seeing them react to that and deciding to support him no matter what was really nice.

Then there's the fact that Eureka did regain her agency, and actually set out on her own to go and find Renton. Power of love and all that, but it's still a nice development since it forced Holland to admit she chose to side with Renton instead of him.

There're still lots of questions left unanswered, like why Charles refered to Eureka as a doll (I do remember some other character mentioning something about vessels several episodes back) and what the heck was up with the tea-drinking man that'd pop up out of nowhere. The most conspicuous appearance was when Talho peered inside Renton's room and when the camera switched back to showing the walkway the guy had already set his rug and other stuff up right behind where Talho was standing.

Things have definitely picked up after the drought that was the previous arc, so I'm definitely excited to see where things go from here.

I saw what looked like an Asuna expy and didn't think I'd like it, but hey, it was good!

The cast tends to rely on their single relevant character trait (Megumin being useless after a single explosion spell, Darkness being a masochist, Aqua being a selfish jerk and Kazuma being the straight man to the girl's boke acts), but it was still fun to watch due to how it never took itself seriously in neither its plot or setting.

All I can say is keep watching. The show tends to dump a ton of information at you coming up the rest of the way, but those questions will all be answered in time.

kewlmyc

What are the odds of Osomatsu-san getting another season?

Considering the amount of cash they're making on BD/DVD and merchandicing, and the fact that Studio "Run It Straight Into the Ground" Pierrot is behind the show, I'd say it's pretty likely.

Also, started reading the Konosuba light novels. They skipped on some pretty major plot points that will make a return in the second season. I guess they'll just do a 20 second "recap" like they did with the introduction of Wiz. They also skipped Kazuma switching parties with Dust for a day. That was hilarious.

pbayne

I still remember the teaser at the end of the show hinting at a Season 2 lol.

I get why it wouldn't air on Toonami (it's not really a popular show or an engaging one, even though it had the potential to be) but it is a little surprising that it was never licensed on Disney XD or some other kid network. It seemed like it could've fit there even if it wasn't all that great. I guess it just another behined the scenes stuff that made it a mess.

Man, Heroman ... what it could've been.

Oh no don't tell me that. Just watched episode 2 and im so into atm. Its like being a kid again and getting wrapped up in that kind of wanting to see the good guys beat the baddies mood. Like there's no bullshit, no cynicism, no "I don't want to have a cool mecha" just a kid you want to root for saving people.

Like when Heroman was punching the lights out of some alien dude I was giddy with how awesome it was. Give me that for 24 more episodes of that hopefully.

JulianImp

All I can say is keep watching. The show tends to dump a ton of information at you coming up the rest of the way, but it will all be answered as you go through these episodes.

The old man out of nowhere scenes kind of reminded me of the whole "random hobo is actually God" trope. Both him and the bald guy with glasses haven't done anything at all so far, which is kind of weird since everyone else aboard the Gekko-go has already been introduced and we're well into the show's midgame.

Cornbread78

The old man out of nowhere scenes kind of reminded me of the whole "random hobo is actually God" trope. Both him and the bald guy with glasses haven't done anything at all so far, which is kind of weird since everyone else aboard the Gekko-go has already been introduced and we're well into the show's midgame.

B0tIkU9.png

LOL, this guy right? Yeah, you'll meet him (again) and I'll leave it at that.

What are the odds of Osomatsu-san getting another season?
As Kewl said it's been ludicrously successful, so very high. I believe the actual stories told are also all anime original (I know it's based on an older series though) so it isn't like they have to worry about running out of source material either.

Considering the amount of cash they're making on BD/DVD and merchandicing, and the fact that Studio "Run It Straight Into the Ground" Pierrot is behind the show, I'd say it's pretty likely.

Come on, that's just Naruto and Bleach, and those two series have a vested interest in keeping them going as long as feasible due to being popular series from Shounen Jump (see also: One Piece). While Pierrot is used to doing long-running daytime shows, it's not as if they do nothing but them, and the length of a series is going to be determined by the funding companies, which for adaptations is usually not the animation studio. What I'm trying to say is, if Pierrot was really a "run everything to the ground" studio, they would have given me another season of Yona of the Dawn already!

But anyway, Osomatsu-san is wildly commercially successful, and producers not wanting to exploit that by ordering more of the series is unheard of.

Come on, that's just Naruto and Bleach, and those two series have a vested interest in keeping them going as long as feasible due to being popular series from Shounen Jump (see also: One Piece). While Pierrot is used to doing long-running daytime shows, it's not as if they do nothing but them, and the length of a series is going to be determined by the funding companies, which for adaptations is usually not the animation studio. What I'm trying to say is, if Pierrot was really a "run everything to the ground" studio, they would have given me another season of Yona of the Dawn already!

But anyway, Osomatsu-san is wildly commercially successful, and producers not wanting to exploit that by ordering more of the series is unheard of.

Because running something into the ground is something you only do with wildly popular franchises anyways.

Qurupeke

I'm skeptical of the Sakamoto anime. I'm more interested in the other Studio DEEN comedy show, Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou, because Akitaro Daichi is a good, highly experienced comedy director. Daichi's last show at DEEN, Maido! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku, was quite good.

is sakamoto really a comedy, I dont know how it will remain interesting for 22 minutes each week.

Yeah, I can't say I'm very confident about its success but I doubt it will be this season's Dagashi Kashi. Chapters are pretty long , so I hope they'll follow a format of 2 chapters per episode. It's not ideal but at least it will have a faster pace and it will not be monotonous. There are other issues too, like how well the jokes will translate, but I liked what I saw on the PV.

Because running something into the ground is something you only do with wildly popular franchises anyways.

Sure, but that's not something that's specific to Pierrot, that's true of all long-running shows no matter what studio is producing them: Doraemon (Shin-Ei), Conan (TMS), Pokemon/Youkai Watch and all Level-5 anime (OLM), etc. etc.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 58

Now things are really heating up. I liked the scene of Kurapika dealing with the aftermath of his killing of Uvogin better than the killing itself. There was some pretty good tension in the trailing scenes. It'll be interesting to see where the narrative goes from here now that our protagonists are coming into increasingly direct conflict with the Spiders.

The music can be good when it's slow, soft, and atmospheric, but when it tries to go loud and high-energy it really doesn't work.

Qurupeke

Phantom World 12

OMG. This show not only isn't trash anymore, but this was one of the better episodes of an anime this season. While the twist wasn't really unexpected, and the show didn't treat it like that anyway, they did a fantastic job for the climax. Jaw dropping stuff. The rest of the episode was also great and it actually connects neatly to the last episode. I really loved Haruhiko's mother. The finale is close and it's going to deliver. Oh, and I've said that again but the action in this is just too good, easily the best from what I've watched this season.

I'll not be the one who points out that Haruhiko was kissing his mother.

Black Bullet
The first episode of this was spent fearing that I'd started watching a show that was everything that I'd feared Gunslinger Girls would be but wasn't. In the end it was nowhere near as well written as GG and only glanced off issues GG went to town on but it wasn't exploitation trash either. The central relationship between Rentaro (17 year old 'Promoter' who is in command and fires guns) and Enju (10 year old 'Cursed Children' who have become 'Initiators' aka magical girls) is well handled, subsequent episodes make it clear he's actually a decent bloke with the odd hint there's more to his backstory. Unusually he doesn't act with perfect care towards every Cursed Child he meets and just straight up ignores some abuses he witnesses.

It felt in places like the show wanted to try and combo the thoughtfulness of GG with a more action based format and it only sort of works, I really enjoyed the attempts to look at what it means to be an Initiator and the outcast status but the show never really commits. It brings up that the girls are on a clock and know it but never really has that have any effect on the Initiator until it runs out (none of the regret and longing for a life you can't have that defined GG). Enju has problems fitting into school and incidents such as the
bombing
pepper the show but there's monsters to bash so we never get any pay off beyond pathos for these moments.
another example is a Cursed Child beggar that blinded herself who shows up twice for no apparent reason apart from I) providing a horrific tale of self-harm and II) so Rentaro can shoo away bullies
. A consistent point the show tries to make is that the residents of Tokyo are wholly dependent on Promoter/Initiator pairings for defence but hate and fear Cursed Children yet never attempt to do anything with this beyond 'hey this sucks'.

Of course the show went and dropped it's most interesting potential plot development right at the end just to piss me off
as the hitherto rather bland teenage company president/love interest starts to develop a serious blood lust in her quest for revenge
as I haven't seen any mention of a S2 as far as I can tell online.

I think I may be a sucker for melodramas that involve big brothers.

Cornbread78

Undefeated Bahamut ep. 10-11
2jo7YmQ.png

xNxBkXs.png

Tropes, tropes, tropes, generic trash, yay! Alright, this went all-out harem the past couple episodes, but the three dates in one day was kind of fun. Really, all three girls are pretty good, but you have to route for the childhood friend that has no shot, lol. The action segments are pretty good, but I really hate the super-stereotypical and annoying antagonist of this show, uuggh. Oh well, it looks like next week should give a few nice actions scenes to close out the season, so that is something to look forward to at least.

Dynedom

RahXephon is a fantastic show and one of my favorites. The comparisons to Evangelion are pretty superficial, and honestly it represents more of a specific subgenre of mecha (which Evangelion might have popularized but did not invent) than anything else. That's not to say RahXephon is original though, because it is essentially an unbranded remake of Raideen, and a way better one than the actual REIDEEN remake that IG shat out years later. :)

Yeah but would you love it a little less if it wasn't BONES

=D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom