• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phantom World 12

OMG. This show not only isn't trash anymore, but this was one of the better episodes of an anime this season. While the twist wasn't really unexpected, and the show didn't treat it like that anyway, they did a fantastic job for the climax. Jaw dropping stuff. The rest of the episode was also great and it actually connects neatly to the last episode. I really loved Haruhiko's mother. The finale is close and it's going to deliver. Oh, and I've said that again but the action in this is just too good, easily the best from what I've watched this season.

I'll not be the one who points out that Haruhiko was kissing his mother.

Looking forward to watching this later today. What a shame that they just decided to turn this into something decent right at the end. For episode 11 alone it was worth it for me, but I could easily see someone just totally dropping the show in the beginning. And a show isn't made up of just one or two good episodes, quality should remain consistent.

Qurupeke

Looking forward to watching this later today. What a shame that they just decided to turn this into something decent right at the end. For episode 11 alone it was worth it for me, but I could easily see someone just totally dropping the show in the beginning. And a show isn't made up of just one or two good episodes, quality should remain consistent.

“When you set sail for Ithaca,
wish for the road to be long,
full of adventures, full of knowledge,
full of fan service, full of Mai.”

Cornbread78

Phantom World ep.12
p8WdqVH.gif

jSqxwkd.jpg

OK, we have some plot going on here and a pretty damn good episode overall. Surprised they went the route they did with this one, btu they have been trying to push some emotional moments into the series for each of the characters, so why not him, right? I love how they jumped on the non-harem harem in front of mama as well; that was hilarious, especially for Mai and Reina, who you know both like him.

Phantom World 12

It's like what would happen if one of those dolls from Symphogear was also a MILF.

Finally I'm getting pandered to, I had to wait but this show really covers it all.

Mailbox

Was listening to podcasts on my commute to university today. Was listening to Lore when I noticed that in the latest episode the music at the beginning was a slightly altered version of the main theme in Elfen Lied.

I wonder if anyone else noticed, or if the creator of the podcast had any idea.

HaruChika 12 [END]

Well they did at least somewhat animate the orchestra performance which was nice and sounded like a pleasant song.

Good payoff for a down to Earth nice pleasant wednesday anime. Characters were lovely, the mysteries each week were intriguing, and the exploits of Haruta were wonderful.

8/10.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 97

Jack Atlus getting the 4000 ATK, wow. I wish the duel finished this episode. But I assume it finishes next episode. The friendship, fighting with everyone lines, and even the appearance of Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon implies its going to be a glorious end.

I wonder if Roger ran or if he is still there.

Hunter x Hunter - 26

Yeh, I really enjoyed that episode in 2011 as well, or at least the sequence where all remaining candidates have to voice their reason for participating and thoughts on who they're most interested and who'd they like to avoid fighting.

I do like HxH the most when there's a decently (not hugely!) sized array of characters with different strength levels, unique abilities and interests create a certain dynamic where a lot can happen. The first 3 exercises of the exam were actual fairly boring but served well enough as setup for the characters (something were 1999 exceeds 2011 easily btw), so that by exercise 4, where they start going up against one another for real it gets much more interesting.

If you wonder why I don't like HxH beyond the Yorknew City arc more, well, that's because I think the world building is flat out bad in HxH, which hurts the more the longer a show runs, and I dislike premise and execution of the greedo island arc. Chimera arc and onwards was simply bogged down by having way too many characters, major pacing issues and some other parts.

Though it might be for the better that I lost interest anyways, seeing how asking for manga progression is asking for pain and I might as well never find out what happens to
Hisoka, my by far favorite characters, and those he's interested in (Gon, Killua, The Spiders, Zoldyck family)

Arakawa Under the Bridge was such a weird show for me. I found the humor really hit or miss, and the humor to serious story ratio was 15 parts funny to 1 part serious but I was SO INVESTED in those serious moments. It made it a hard watch because the point of the show is the humor and I sorta wished they kept all the serious stuff out because you never got enough of the serious and it was often way too far between serious parts for you to maintain the feeling.

When I found it funny though I found it damn funny.

phaze

Arakawa Under the Bridge 09

Somehow this show manages to constantly top its previous peak. It has been long time since I watched S1 of SZS so my memory of it is certainly fuzzy but at this point, after so many great eps, I'd risk saying Arakawa is the superior comedy show. And thus, the best anime comedy I've seen.

Cornbread78

Special A ep. 19-20
yPHnURX.gif

Good stuff with these episodes as they start to finalize everyone's relationships, except, (shockingly enough) Kei and Hikari, our MC and Heroine. It's a shame they really wond push their relationship along, but at least we are getting good stuff out of the rest of the cast right now. I'm sure they will get to it in the last 5 mins of the final episode, but it's all good since everything else is pretty fun to watch.

Arakawa Under the Bridge was such a weird show for me. I found the humor really hit or miss, and the humor to serious story ratio was 15 parts funny to 1 part serious but I was SO INVESTED in those serious moments. It made it a hard watch because the point of the show is the humor and I sorta wished they kept all the serious stuff out because you never got enough of the serious and it was often way too far between serious parts for you to maintain the feeling.

When I found it funny though I found it damn funny.

The mistake I made when watching Arakawa was I was in it for the ship, which was a huge mistake because like Phaze said, it's a much better comedy than anything else. The ship was just awkward and weird the entire time...

Clov

On Twitter he said that he figured Miyamoto was more important based on the style of Miyamoto's other shows being closer to SZS than the style of Tatsuwa's other shows. But we both agreed that Shaft is such an opaque studio it's hard to really know what's going on in there.

Guess there's no telling then. In that case, they're both my favorite! Still, a bit frustrating that we can't even determine who the actual director of the show was. Damn you, Shinbo!

Phantom World 12

See this is what I mean, I like that the series is a little (a lot) better now, but why did that have to wait this long to do it. They could have told a pretty damn cool story from start to finish.

TUSR

Banned
Phantom World 12

See this is what I mean, I like that the series is a little (a lot) better now, but why did that have to wait this long to do it. They could have told a pretty damn cool story from start to finish.
There are 3 LNs out right now, they could have spent 4 episodes per LN (which would have changed the overall tone of the show) but the elected to add anime original scenes and whole episodes instead.

Not sure if they expected more sale for the way they did it, or if they are stretching this into another season. Or neither.

I binge watched endless eight...
pretty sure I almost died doing that...

I did, too. I just kinda high fived insanity and did it.

I didn't actually know what that arc would entitle. Even 5 episodes in I was like "holy shit, another go? That's hilarious." It was about then that I actually looked at the title.

Dresden

Princess Kaguya -

I liked the ending a lot. The cruelty of it, I guess. The way that attendant drapes the robe over her right after--or was it in the middle?-- of her monologue about her love for the human world, the grief and joy of it. Like that was cold, man. There is no existence better from their pov than their jingle jangle existence on the moon and the disregard shown for both Kaguya's suffering and that of her parents really got to me, the lack of understanding, or empathy, over her plight and her desire to stay longer.

I also liked the father. The way it--as in fatherhood--was portrayed here is particularly affecting. That there's love is undeniable, yet the ugly proprietary side of it, which grows to a point where his ascension in court is more important than her happiness, just felt really flawed, really human, in that immediately identifiable way. He's by turns amusing, contemptible, subservient, greedy, triumphant. Next to Kaguya herself his character felt the most vivid. And going back to the cruelty of the ending, that his last cry for forgiveness can no longer be heard by the one it is owed to was particularly gutting.

Dunno, there's a bunch of things I liked. The movie did feel a little loose, where a bulk of the events feel loosely linked until it coheres near the end, but perhaps that's just a symptom of telling the story of a life, one that's wasted and truncated and rushed but a life nonetheless. The tragedy of it is less the parting than that it never had a chance to flourish at all, and the regret that it can never be fixed. The bitterness of it is what remained with me through the writing of this post.

Needed more smug attendant girl.

Ascheroth

Phantom World 11-12

So I haven't watched 7-10, but who cares.
These two episodes were pretty good, especially 12. 12 was great.
That moment were Mayonaise-sama was on the phone with the teacher, realisation kicked in and Enigma was standing creepily right behind her was awesome.

I binge watched endless eight...
pretty sure I almost died doing that...

So this, the subtle differences each time round don't unfold as an interesting exercise but rather an innovative form of torture as you try and assign meaning to different coloured shirts and hats.

kewlmyc

Come on, that's just Naruto and Bleach, and those two series have a vested interest in keeping them going as long as feasible due to being popular series from Shounen Jump (see also: One Piece). While Pierrot is used to doing long-running daytime shows, it's not as if they do nothing but them, and the length of a series is going to be determined by the funding companies, which for adaptations is usually not the animation studio. What I'm trying to say is, if Pierrot was really a "run everything to the ground" studio, they would have given me another season of Yona of the Dawn already!

But anyway, Osomatsu-san is wildly commercially successful, and producers not wanting to exploit that by ordering more of the series is unheard of.
It's more of a crack at Naruto still producing episodes despite the manga already having ended. Instead of ending it shortly after the manga ended since they no longer have to worry about keeping a certain pace behind the manga, they're just dragging the series out for more money. That's some DBGT levels of nonsense, but at least GT had the decency to end DBZ first.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 97

Jack Atlus getting the 4000 ATK, wow. I wish the duel finished this episode. But I assume it finishes next episode. The friendship, fighting with everyone lines, and even the appearance of Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon implies its going to be a glorious end.

I wonder if Roger ran or if he is still there.
i mean I'm fairly confident the duel will end on the same turn that this episode ended on. And I even have a detailed rundown in the dedicated OT to exactly how Yuuya will pull it off

There are 3 LNs out right now, they could have spent 4 episodes per LN (which would have changed the overall tone of the show) but the elected to add anime original scenes and whole episodes instead.

Not sure if they expected more sale for the way they did it, or if they are stretching this into another season. Or neither.

They should have stuck to the LN material. And I honestly don't think this will be getting a sequel, but who knows. KyoAni still has me on their side, and I will check out all of their shows, but I'm still waiting for another show to drop and astound me as much as Hyouka did in 2012. Euphonium almost did it, and it also has the fact that it has a second season going for it.

Sorry Corn, but I'm on team Hyouka too.

I don't have a problem with Hyouka being on the top of that list, as it's a genuinely fantastic show that deserves it.

But the sheer lack of Full Metal Panic being on the list at all hurts my mecha soul. :(

pbayne

Free! got 2 places on that list so they do have some taste. No FMP though wtf?

Heroman 5

Thats a cliffhanger and a half right there. So good.

Stan Lee cameos=2.

Exalted

Does there exist anything similar to Full Metal Panic Fumoffu ? A comedy series with a similar MC (serious, awkward, bad ass), and same style of comedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom