• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyouka is #1 so this could be much worse.

It should be:
  1. Hyouka
  2. Hibike! Euphonium
  3. Nichijou (fight me fish!)

That's pretty respectable. If we're restricting ourselves to KyoAni TV series, the only other show at that level is K-ON!!

They should have stuck to the LN material. And I honestly don't think this will be getting a sequel, but who knows. KyoAni still has me on their side, and I will check out all of their shows, but I'm still waiting for another show to drop and astound me as much as Hyouka did in 2012. Euphonium almost did it, and it also has the fact that it has a second season going for it.

KyoAni never made a show as good as Hyouka before Hyouka, so I wouldn't expect miracles. (Nichijou was very good in its own way though, and of course K-ON!! as mentioned above.)

Anyway, It's highly likely that Phantom World gets a second season and/or a movie, since KyoAni has done that for all their properties since Chuunibyou. Chuunibyou got a second season and a recap movie, Tamako Market got a movie, Free got a second season and a movie, Beyond the Boundary got a recap movie and an original movie, Sound Euphonium is getting a recap movie and a second season. Amagi, the one exception from KyoAni produced shows in that time frame, is also the only IP not owned by KyoAni but by Kadokawa. (Sound Euphonium is also owned by an external publisher, but KyoAni took the initiative in getting that novel adapted and I believe has obtained some sort of IP rights interest in at least the anime.)

Ascheroth

Gintama

Oh no, they didn't... ;_;

Yes, he did.
latest

Hataraku Maou-sama 10

The obligatory swimsuit episode. It's fitting that large breasts are compared to large greasy McDonalds hamburgers, because they are both low-quality, unhealthy meat.

I swear, if Ashiya spends the last three episodes in the bathroom as well...

pbayne

Osomatsu 24

Hey Karamatsu did something genuinely cool for once.

Totoko as Rocky lol. All it needed was Mick at the side screaming "Get him ya bum".

KyoAni never made a show as good as Hyouka before Hyouka, so I wouldn't expect miracles. (Nichijou was very good in its own way though, and of course K-ON!! as mentioned above.)

Anyway, It's highly likely that Phantom World gets a second season and/or a movie, since KyoAni has done that for all their properties since Chuunibyou. Chuunibyou got a second season and a recap movie, Tamako Market got a movie, Free got a second season and a movie, Beyond the Boundary got a recap movie and an original movie, Sound Euphonium is getting a recap movie and a second season. Amagi, the one exception from KyoAni produced shows in that time frame, is also the only IP not owned by KyoAni but by Kadokawa. (Sound Euphonium is also owned by an external publisher, but KyoAni took the initiative in getting that novel adapted and I believe has obtained some sort of IP rights interest in at least the anime.)

Putting it that way, yes you may be right and they may go for a second season. It'd be good if they took a few lessons from these last couple of episodes and made a new season with that same feel. If it's just more of the same, I don't think I'll give it more than one or two episodes before I drop it.

phaze

Arakawa Under the Bridge was such a weird show for me. I found the humor really hit or miss, and the humor to serious story ratio was 15 parts funny to 1 part serious but I was SO INVESTED in those serious moments. It made it a hard watch because the point of the show is the humor and I sorta wished they kept all the serious stuff out because you never got enough of the serious and it was often way too far between serious parts for you to maintain the feeling.

When I found it funny though I found it damn funny.

I love/like almost every skit but enjoy the more serious immmensely too. Whether it's those musings at the beginnings episodes, hinting at Nino's past or going over Ko's persona.

Arakawa Under the Bridge 10

Megumin would probably make a better job of extinguishing the fire than this band of loonies.

Speaking of serious, daddy made his move, the entire community is in danger of disappearing, which makes even Nino drop her persona a bit. In other words, there is something resembling plot in my comedy ! I'd guess it will remain here until the end of this season.

BluWacky

That news report is utterly bizarre. As they note, they've just randomly picked credits to associate with each of the staff winners (presumably because they think no-one really cares). Is it too much of an effort to try and work out why these awards were given?

For instance, Yoichi Fujita is presumably being honoured for his work on Osomatsu-san (as will be Naoyuki Asano), along with his continued successful shepherding of Gintama (which won the "fan award" this year). Chikashi Kubota, on the other hand, will be winning for the quality of One Punch Man's sakuga moments.

At least when ANN reported the lifetime achievement winners they actually picked out sensible credits for them. If anything, MAL's are misleading - Norio Hikone, for instance, is not being awarded anything for the dreadfully animated Saiyuki TV series (which he didn't work on!), but for being one of the most influential Toei/MushiPro animators and designers of the 60s/70s.

I know, I'm getting my knickers in a twist over something that barely matters, but I like to know why pointless trophies are being given out!

(also Inside Out was an excellent film, although I haven't seen Shaun The Sheep yet)

Reading the Erased manga and...some of the stuff they cut doesn't make any sense at all. Same for some of the stuff they kept. I might make a post about it later because it's kind of baffling.

Or not, I don't know if I care enough about Erased anymore to do the effort

Manga readers are never pleased with anime adaptations.

I think the Erased anime is better then the manga, easily. If anything they should have cut more, and some areas I'm confused why they didn't (Airi?????)

The presentation is leagues above the manga at least. All the best moments are better in the anime. Also, I only started reading the manga about a week ago.

Squishy3

Reading the Erased manga and...some of the stuff they cut doesn't make any sense at all. Same for some of the stuff they kept. I might make a post about it later because it's kind of baffling.

Or not, I don't know if I care enough about Erased anymore to do the effort
The bit about the stun gun you posted about on Twitter is something I'm pretty glad they cut though.

That's some silly McGuyver shit.

The bit about the stun gun you posted about on Twitter is something I'm pretty glad they cut though.

That's some silly shit.

That's kind of the stuff I'm talking about. Like if you are going to change scenes in little ways for the better here and there I dunno why more of that wasn't done.

The stun gun part is (manga)
when Satoru is going to push Kayo's mother down the stairs, in the manga he makes a stun gun out of a disposable camera. Yes, seriously. It doesn't work though.

Another example (manga) -
when the CPS catch Kayo's mother, her boyfriend is shown trying to sneak out but he gets caught. The boyfriend was in the anime for about 5 seconds with the red eyes...so why didn't they show him getting caught? Why was he there to begin with then?

Just things that make me wonder.

Cornbread78

Love Hina ep.1-3
Good opening 3 episodes as they introduce the cast of the characters. I mean, even being an older series there are aton of cliché tropes already with the nerdy MC that's useless, the ninja chick, the try-hard and the loli. The funniest is the older woman that lives there that is an original model of Manager from working down to the haircut, facials and everything. Hopefully, they can keep the comedy up there and it stays fun for the whole series, so we'll see.

Where the interactions between Satoru and Hinazuki well done in the manga or is that only the case in the anime, where those parts were mostly really good. Or is even the writing worse in the manga in that regard?

Where the interactions between Satoru and Hinazuki well done in the manga or is that only the case in the anime, where those parts were mostly really good. Or is even the writing worse in the manga in that regard?

They are still good. But like I said, polished way up in the anime. Best example I can think of is the Christmas Tree part, compare both of those. Same with the stuff with Satoru's Mom, another strong point.

I think it may be because the mangas art is pretty bland. Not bad, just average. Compared to the anime which has pretty strong visuals it stands out even more. All the notes are still there, just hit harder. In the same vein, most of the things people had problems with still exist.

Note: i've only read up to chapter 25 so I haven't seen what changes near the end.

John Blade

Love Hina ep.1-3
Good opening 3 episodes as they introduce the cast of the characters. I mean, even being an older series there are aton of cliché tropes already with the nerdy MC that's useless, the ninja chick, the try-hard and the loli. The funniest is the older woman that lives there that is an original model of Manager from working down to the haircut, facials and everything. Hopefully, they can keep the comedy up there and it stays fun for the whole series, so we'll see.

Oh wow...you watching Love Hina. I wish you luck in this show as it's a fun wacky show but don't think too much between the romance side of it (you will get disappointed). Wish you luck.

You mean it's not worth it?
It depend on what you expect for the show. For me, it's an interesting show to watch if you can keep up with the dialogue of the characters. If not, then you will get confuse and get bored quite quickly as they isn't much action scene in the entire show. Also, give yourself some time with this show. This show isn't something you can rush through it. Still, give the show a try if you need something to watch as it's an interesting show for me.

They are still good. But like I said, polished way up in the anime. Best example I can think of is the Christmas Tree part, compare both of those. Same with the stuff with Satoru's Mom, another strong point.

I think it may be because the mangas art is pretty bland. Not bad, just average. Compared to the anime which has pretty strong visuals it stands out even more. All the notes are still there, just hit harder. In the same vein, most of the things people had problems with still exist.

Note: i've only read up to chapter 25 so I haven't seen what changes near the end.

So, I suppose good direction helped making some of the good content great but in order for the thriller aspects to work that would've required major rewriting. I mean some stuff like the laughable symbolism with crows or last supper painting can be put on our SAO director but in all fairness, he really had nothing decent to work with here. Then again, he wanted to make the adaptation and proposed it iirc, so eh, bad choice perhaps.

Cornbread78

Oh wow...you watching Love Hina. I wish you luck in this show as it's a fun wacky show but don't think too much between the romance side of it (you will get disappointed). Wish you luck.

Definitely not watching it for the "romance" with it being a classic harem anime. It's all about the fun/comedy. I think I've watched all the "good" romance out there, so it's just scraps now, lol.

ibyea

Banned

So I guess some of the problems with the show were unavoidable due to the source material. Oh well.

John Blade

Definitely not watching it for the "romance" with it being a classic harem anime. It's all about the fun/comedy. I think I've watched all the "good" romance out there, so it's just scraps now, lol.

Well....at least you know what you expect from this show. One of my guilty show I re watch once a while and also my intro into harem anime. Do watch the special and the Love Hina Again even though you don't have to. For romance, they're still there if you can find it or get a recommend like mine one to you. I am currently watching Gunslinger Girl , Great Teacher Onizuka, and Maison Ikkoku right now. I hope to look into Little Princess Sara as it's based on recommend from MAL of Emma. Hope to get all of them done while watch some more other anime in my collection.

So I guess some of the problems with the show were unavoidable due to the source material. Oh well.

Nothing is unavoidable, at least in theory, because changes can always be made in the adaptation (and in fact changes were made, just not all the changes necessary to eliminate flaws).

Cornbread78

Planetes ep.18-19
Episode 18 was an excellent bonding episode for the clean-up crew, but that led right into doing what I thought he was planning to do in ep.19 when he
quits the company to try out for the test mission to Jupiter leaving Tanabe behind... that selfish bastard, lol
There is something to say in his decision about reaching for your dreams, but he wasn't open and honest about it, which was disappointing for sure.
He's excelling in the rests so far, so we'll see how it goes and how it affects Tanabe, but they are essentially broken up already and you can see that sloth pilot that failed training is going to try to take her for his own now... uuggh
we'll see.

Mailbox

Why would you do that all the way through??

it was just over 2 years ago and I was doing binge month (i think I watched 36 different series in 35 days or something (ranging from a few short series to normal 12 cours to even big long ones like Beelzebub)

interestingly, that was also when I started watching anime proper :S
hmm...

Considering that Funi has been marketing this as being the next big thing since Naruto (cough), I doubt that info is fully true. At least its incomplete. I expect split cours at worst. No way its 13 episodes only

I mean, even if it's true, I have no doubt it'll be getting more seasons in the future given it's a very popular shonen jump manga adaption.

ibyea

Banned
Nothing is unavoidable, at least in theory, because changes can always be made in the adaptation (and in fact changes were made, just not all the changes necessary to eliminate flaws).

True, but deviating far from source material, which is what I think should have been done, is not something people often do.

So for MHA, given 13 episodes, I'd assume they'll cover up until the first villain attack arc (so Chapters 1-21), though if they want to intensify the pace they could probably manage to fit in the sports festival arc as well (chapters 22-44), which might actually be a better ending point. Or they might make a filler arc after the chapter 21 stuff and end the first cour with that. Split cour is still pretty likely too, so I could see chapters 1-21 for cour 1, and up until the end of the Stain stuff for cour 2

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Square Enix's Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash has a pretty good dub at Funimation if anyone here is into good dubs from time to time. Some of these voice actors sound new to me which is refreshing. Only one character has a voice that is a bit grating on the ears, but then again her entire character is the poorly written 'aloof' type who falls and trips over when the wind blows too strong, so I guess it's to be expected. The writing isn't the best but I'm enjoying the plot and somewhat different take on people struggling to survive and learn in a world that doesn't care about them.

Another big plus is the watercolor-esque art style. Some may think it's lazy because the background isn't fully drawn with lines, but I think it works really well with the setting and in blending the colors and environments together in a natural way. There are times where I legitimately save a screenshot to use as a wallpaper because it looks really good artistically.

Edit: I feel like this show should have come out at a different time since we have so many shows about heroes stuck or living in an rpg world. It makes the show feel like a 'me too' when getting a first impression, because it starts to slowly separate itself and bring something slightly different to the table shortly afterwards.

Just T

Myriad Colors Phantom World: 12

3 good episodes in a row, I am surprised. The action scenes with Enigma were pretty great and the scenes with Haruhiko's mom were nice too, well maybe not all of them ha. Let's see how this finishes.

Cornbread78

Love Hina ep.4-5
Go figure, they both
fail the exams for Tokyo U and go in search of "themselves" seperately
but go to the same place at the same time, lol.. Of course, they aren't the
fated pair from the promise 15 yes ago either
I did get a kick out of the show trying to ship the main pair towards the end of the episode though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom