• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit, no wonder that Maze opening song is so rocking, it's done by Heavy Metal group Seikima-II.

Don't know who Seikima-II is?

Has anyone ever tracked down a copy of the OVA that was made for the band? I'm expecting it to be bad but I'm wondering how it actually is lol.

I know them because I watched Chrontendo and they have a Famicom game about them. They're actually doing the OP song for Terraformars Revenge next season.

I just want to say that this arc of Fairy Tail is fucking amazing. Holy shit is it good.

It's good at the moment, but after a few arcs you start asking yourself why am I watching the same shit.

Trust me you start seeing that every arc is the same in structure and formula with nothing to shake things up.

Rave Master was a shitload better than Fairy Tail and that was by the same author. At this point I keep on asking why isn't Hiro Mashima a hentai artist because the only thing he comes up with in Fairy Tail is new ways to show off fanservice lol.

Paltheos

Oh shit, no wonder that Maze opening song is so rocking, it's done by Heavy Metal group Seikima-II.

Don't know who Seikima-II is?

A lot of the band was the basis for Detroit Metal City (Besides K.I.S.S. who these guys also pay homage to).

The band was also mentioned in the anime for Yu Yu Hakusho and a character in the Fist of the North Star anime was based on the lead singer.

Here's the Maze opening. Listen to those guitar riffs!

Has anyone ever tracked down a copy of the OVA that was made for the band? I'm expecting it to be bad but I'm wondering how it actually is lol.

I used that song to torture my friend. He can't stand bad Engrish. He's normally a pretty relaxed guy, but he's reached over to my music player in the car and skipped over Daybreak's Bell because he can't stand hearing "My wishes over their airspace". "Maze in your face" and the other Engrish lyrics in that song successfully drove him nuts.

PS: I'm surprised whenever I find another human who's actually watched Maze. It's so bad.

Puruzi

Banned
I called Keijo, i'll test my abilities and see if I can call another adaptation.

Do You Like Big Girls anime fucking WHEN?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I used that song to torture my friend. He can't stand bad Engrish. He's normally a pretty relaxed guy, but he's reached over to my music player in the car and skipped over Daybreak's Bell because he can't stand hearing "My wishes over their airspace". "Maze in your face" and the other Engrish lyrics in that song successfully drove him nuts.

PS: I'm surprised whenever I find another human who's actually watched Maze. It's so bad.

I'm watching the Laser Discs lol

LASER DISCS
3iUZKct.jpg

Man, if you like this that much now you're going to go nuts during the Tower of Heaven, Edolas, and Tenrou Island arcs.

It's good at the moment, but after a few arcs you start asking yourself why am I watching the same shit.

Trust me you start seeing that every arc is the same in structure and formula with nothing to shake things up.

Rave Master was a shitload better than Fairy Tail and that was by the same author. At this point I keep on asking why isn't Hiro Mashima a hentai artist because the only thing he comes up with in Fairy Tail is new ways to show off fanservice lol.

Yeah, that's pretty much true. Though it didn't bother me because I loved the show's characters and world so much back in the day.

I remember back during the GMG arc people got super mad when (don't read Cornbread)
Natsu pushed Gajeel down the mine and proceeded to single-handedly pummel Sting and Rogue after they were hyped up as ALL POWERFUL THIRD-GENERATION DRAGON SLAYERS for months.

are you guys concerned about the exclusive animes to certain platforms? Next season Amazon, CR and Funi have shows only available on their platforms. We know that Netflix also has exclusive shows.

I don't like netflix exclusives, the service is so limited that its a pointless investment. At least with hulu I watch tv shows and its get new episodes weekly, or AMZN (but you get free two day shipping).

Yeah, that's pretty much true. Though it didn't bother me because I loved the show's characters and world so much back in the day.

I remember back during the GMG arc people got super mad when (don't read Cornbread)
Natsu pushed Gajeel down the mine and proceeded to single-handedly pummel Sting and Rogue after they were hyped up as ALL POWERFUL THIRD-GENERATION DRAGON SLAYERS for months.

Yeah that moment really did irritate me. Although the part
where Sting gave up fighting because of power of friendship gimmick pissed me off.

Fairy Tail earlier arcs were really enjoyable it's just later on it gets really repetitive.

Yeah that moment really did irritate me. Although the part
where Sting gave up fighting because of power of friendship gimmick pissed me off.

Fairy Tail earlier arcs were really enjoyable it's just later on it gets really repetitive.

Oh man, people went into a rage at that. That decision didn't even make sense considering that
Minerva specifically told him that Lector's life was riding on Sting's victory. And then he just throws victory away when it was right in front of him all because "he wouldn't be able to face Lector" or something like that.

But it all turned out okay because the cat was inside the cat-girl's pants all-along.

Yeah, it was around then when I started to realize how much the manga was practically abusing the power-of-friendship stuff at that point.

Tuck

Yona of the Dawn - END
Good show. Fun show. I really like the cast - they're all quite varied, and play off each other really well. I'm glad Soo-Wan ended up being more than just generic bad-guy - which is something that could not be said for the villain in Arslan (Who had a legitimate reason for being evil but then kinda went nuts). The scene where Soo-wan runs into Yona was really interesting.

That said, I hope we get more of this because this season felt kind of... small?

When I think of a show/manga like One Piece, the major players all came into the group after a big, long arc. Yet here, only one did (Green dragon). White Dragon came in without a fuss, Blue Dragon had a small little arc, and then Yellow Dragon showed up randomly in the last episode in what I can't help but suspect was the author deciding to skip an arc to move the story along faster.

In the grand scheme of things, not much has really happened yet. Whats here IS good. It just didn't get to the point of epicene that I hoped it would. I imagine that will come later.

Kizumonogatari Part I - Tekketsu

It's painfully obvious that this is incomplete. It feels very much like the opening act of the story, setting up the problem, laying out the course to take to get to a potential solution, and then stopping.

That said, I liked what was here very much. With the return of Tetsuya Oishi, it's clear that this is from the guy who directed Bake; Kizu's style is more in line with that show than what I've seen of succeeding Monogataris (mostly Nise). The cuts to text, the use of cartoony gag visuals, the focus on eyes - it's all here. (Didn't notice any of the famous Shaft head tilts though.) At the same time, Kizu has its own aesthetic identity, marked mainly by a striking usage of color in which black, white, and beige dominate and the use of other colors such as red leaps out at the eye, as well as a unique usage of 3D backgrounds integrated with the 2D characters. Plus there is an oppressive atmosphere that predominates, that you didn't get much even in Bake. Kizu is way more sparse in dialogue than TV Monogatari, and much more dependent on visuals to set the mood and enact the storytelling. It helps that major moments are marked by spectacular stylized animation that create a lot of energy and emotional angst filled to overflowing.

I love the way Oishi expands time here - you could say that's padding to make the material fill out three films, but it feels totally natural and beneficial to the story. My favorite scenes were the incredibly surreal, wordless opening, and Araragi's first encounter with Kiss-Shot in the subway station. Those sequences in particular, but also the general style of direction used, actually reminds me of Oshii's atmospheric moments in Patlabor or Ghost in the Shell, or the long walking scenes in Nagahama's Flowers of Evil. There's such a focus on sustained atmosphere, which is right up my alley. The subway scene especially drew me into the emotions Araragi was feeling - his fear and terror.

My least favorite scene was Araragi's meeting with Hanekawa. The lighter scenes in this film didn't tend to do it for me - though I liked some of the visual gags, particularly later on with Kiss-Shot. Also, apart from setting up the vampire rumor, Hanekawa's relationship with Araragi didn't have a payoff this film. Going from the preview, it looks like the next film will be where that comes into play more. This definitely seems like something that will benefit from being treated as a unit once all three parts are out.

I should give special mention to Satoru Kousaki's score, which was generally excellent. The music that played when Araragi was following the blood trail was especially effective.

I am looking forward to the next two parts. If they can nail the major story moments as effectively as this part did, Kizumonogatari should be something quite special in the end.

Hamst3r

Initial D First Stage - 07 - I am finding this highly watchable. The soundtrack is going to be stuck in my head for a long time, I'm sure of it.

Quasar

are you guys concerned about the exclusive animes to certain platforms? Next season Amazon, CR and Funi have shows only available on their platforms. We know that Netflix also has exclusive shows.

No more than I am about game exclusives and western tv ones. They all should die. Though at least with anime the market isnt big enough to support more than a couple.

Certainly I expect to see more with CR, funimation and netflix getting onto committees or outright funding anime. I doubt we'll see more than that though. Of course being in Australia that has less impact on me.

Speaking of funimation..anyone used the new service/app? I dont need funimation but am curious to know how its going.

No more than I am about game exclusives and western tv ones. They all should die. Though at least with anime the market isnt big enough to support more than a couple.

Certainly I expect to see more with CR, funimation and netflix getting onto committees or outright funding anime. I doubt we'll more than that though.

Speaking of funimation..anyone used the new service/app? I dont need funimation but am curious to know how its going.

You might as well try it, its free after all.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.22-28 (Phantom guild arc)
I'm on mobile so I can't really type everything but this arc was awesome, plain and simple it was awesome from the beginning to the very end. It makes you even more interested in who Mystagon is that he went and literally
destroyed all of their sub bases on his own
truly a loyal warrior to the guild. Now the other asshole member that wouldn't help, he's another story; what a douce. The battles, although get was over the top really get you pumped and are fun to watch. It's some of the stuff I really liked about SAO when the battle score kicked in background while the battles got intense, man that really helped set the tone for the moment. Oh, Lucy better lose the " Who is me" attitude also. Natsu can't do everything by himself. It doesn't help that all her celestial spirits are wackjobs, lol. I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff here, but this arc had an awesome balance of action, adventure, comedy, emotional feels and sheer energy. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

I'm watching the Laser Discs lol

LASER DISCS

How old do you feel?
don_herbert_explains_laserdisc.jpg

Nah, as I said in the other thread, I'm subbed to Crunchyroll and funimation because they're $12. Netflix is a given and I have Prime for shipping reasons, so... I'm pretty flush. I'm more worried about another site appear on Hulu getting an exclusive.

sonicmj1

Ok, with a revised strategy, can you guys help me answer the below questions for some of the upcoming shows that will be really popular:

- What kind of show it is
- Why you should watch it

Upcoming Shows:

- Mayoiga (Original)
- Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song

Mayoiga

Thirty men and women come together for a bus tour to a ghost town deep in the mountains, Nanakimura. Some speak of an urban legend that this place could be a utopia, unshackled by the outside world. But now, only a faint impression of the lives that once lived here remain.

Despair, boredom, hope... something or other has drawn these thirty individuals to this place. What truth will they find there?

Mayoiga is an original anime series written by Mari Okada (Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, Toradora, Black Rock Shooter) and directed by Tsutomu Mizushima (Shirobako, Girls und Panzer, Another). With it being an anime original, very little is known about the plot at this point, besides that it's full of mysteries, and that it's "thrilling". It's hard to tell what that'll mean, but with these two creative forces (particularly Mizushima, who has made two different grotesque horror-comedies in Another and Blood-C), there's a good chance that things will get awfully bloody eventually. Whatever happens, odds are good it'll be a crazy ride.

Concrete Revolutio: Chojin Gensou - The Last Song

In the second season of this non-linear alternate-history tale, superpowered individuals of all kind exist among us. Space aliens, magical girls, androids with hearts of gold, mischevious ghosts, and many more... their existence is protected by the Superhuman Bureau. But who will protect these protectors? And how will they know what to fight for in a nation whose basic values grow divided? As the idealistic superhuman Jiro, working in the Bureau, is forced to confront the dark truths lurking at the heart of his organization and his country, he must find something to fight for... even if it pits him against everything he's ever known.

Loaded with characters, political machinations, and confusing time jumps, the real hook to Concrete Revolutio is its setting. Taking place in an alternate Japan during the 60s and 70s, this anime uses its own versions of Japan's pop culture icons of the past to explore this turbulent period in the country's history, where the nation was divided by protests over what course it should take. Drawing from real events to move its plot (see the first season's OT for some practical examples), Concrete Revolutio is a colorful and challenging work exploring a historical era that rarely gets acknowledged elsewhere.

Prince of Stride 10

Getting hyped up for the race now that everyone seems to have sorted out their issues. That fucking insert song is great.

zulux21

amazon has one?

but no, not really concerned. it sucks as a fan of anime to have to check out shows from multiple places, but at the same time it shows that many places see value in bringing anime over, which is good for the long term.

I just want to say that this arc of Fairy Tail is fucking amazing. Holy shit is it good.

I figured you would enjoy this arc. most of the arcs from here on out are pretty good. Just make sure to skip the filler, most of it is downright horrible @_@

like i said it was about to hit its stride :p

Mailbox

Does CR work in HTML5 yet?

Their manga player is updating to HTML5 and is in Beta now.

In an AMA(can't for the life of me remember which one), someone at CR said that an HTML5 player isn't an option because of something to do with lack of security confidence on from the side of the license holders. I think they were insinuating that they have their hands tied in that department, but i feel like its BS tbh.

Instro

The scariest thing about Ghost Hound is how quickly it put me to sleep.

No kidding, what a disappointment that was.

Shiki is a good horror show. A little ridiculous, particularly the hair of course, but it plays a pretty straight vampire story.

I've been binge watching Erased on Crunchyroll. This show gives me too many feels.

I binge watched Erased a few weeks ago (around when Ep. 5 came out) and I got so fed up with the cliffhangers that I read the rest of the manga.

this is a mistake don't do it, I wish I could have that suspense again. I think the anime is just so much more interesting to follow, anyway.

Rakugo Episode 1

So Rakugo is really good, and people should watch it.
The show does a great job of showing how nerve-wracking performing can be, and how it compares the differences between a beginner and season vet.

Good stuff.

Cornbread78

I figured you would enjoy this arc. most of the arcs from here on out are pretty good. Just make sure to skip the filler, most of it is downright horrible @_@
like i said it was about to hit its stride :p

Yeah, that was pretty damn good stuff in that arc and I really hope there is more to come like that. I almost felt like a kid again watching that battle, but I guess that's what games and anime can do for ya, lol. Oh, and can I mention how awesome Master is? Dude is on point, not just with his magic, but with his guild ideals as well.

Mailbox

So what do you guys think of Funimation's new mobile and windows store apps?

Edit: okay tried it out for a few vids to see how it went on the windows store app, and oh boi does this need work.
1. all videos start at a shite resolution and take a little bit of time to adjust to the proper resolution (also, no resolution control, the fuck?!). I'd prefer not to see a pixelated mess when the company credits and beginning few seconds of the show happen.

2. audio cuts out and images freezes sometimes when switching from windowed to full screen.

3. some shows receieve errors, A Certain magical index can't be selected, but railgun can... odd...

4. The UI is a damn mess for mouse scrolling. Mouse scrolling is both going up and down when your mouse isn't in a subsection and left and right in the subsections. There is barely (I mean a few pixels at best) any space between subsections, so good luck scrolling. They could have used a drag to scroll for horizontal and scroll wheel for vertical, which would fix this problem 100%... Dumb, just dumb.

And that was all in just about a minute of using it.

ibyea

Banned
Rakugo Episode 1

So Rakugo is really good, and people should watch it.
The show does a great job of showing how nerve-wracking performing can be, and how it compares the differences between a beginner and season vet.

Good stuff.

Yup, it's my personal anime of the season. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom