• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Kemono Friends 08

Today's Kemono Friends is on the idol group with an imposter syndrome.

C52cB5WWAAAQiLI.jpg

what

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Maid Dragon 08
Elma doesn't add much to the cast but the design and VA are nice so that's fine I guess. Pacing, comedic timing, and general direction seemed totally off for most of this episode though, and the dramatic pitch flies wide of the strike zone. There's not really been any new developments that warrant the joyless tone of self-reflection here, so it's just repetitive and boring.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Kemono Friends 08

Today's Kemono Friends is on the idol group with an imposter syndrome.
C52cB5WWAAAQiLI.jpg

what

This picture bothers me like it came from one of those take a game or movie cover and make each side symmetrical threads.

Cornbread78

Konosuba S2 ep.8
OK, I can't watch this at my desk anymore, I cracked up laughing too many times again. Between Darkness being tossed around like a rag doll to the scenes with the villagers spitting at her Exis worship, this was too damn funny. Oh, YunYun got some screen time again, lolololololol.

blurr

Konosuba S2 ep.8
OK, I can't watch this at my desk anymore, I cracked up laughing too many times again. Between Darkness being tossed around like a rag doll to the scenes with the villagers spitting at her Exis worship, this was too damn funny. Oh, YunYun got some screen time again, lolololololol.

I'm amazed you get to watch entire episodes at work.

PK Gaming

Maid Dragon 8

KyoAni continues to do work with this adaption. The cooking competition was entirely anime original, along with the final scene in the episode. Compare the resolution to this chapter in the manga:

To the anime:

At this point, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that anime!Tohru & anime!Kobayashi are essentially different characters from their manga counterpart. I really appreciate the development of Kobayashi's relationship with Tohru, especially since it's going to build to
Kobayashi's confrontation with XXX
<----- hot manga spoilers. As for Elma... well, I didn't like her in the manga all that much (too "Yell and point!" in a series that already has too much of that), but she's better in the manga. Mostly because her design is A+++ tier and her VA is great.

Ignore this garbage ass post

JulianImp

Caught up with MaiDragon on a whim, and I'd say it's mostly good outside of the fanservice scenes such as Kanna x Riko (god, I hate the latter's overused moe reaction) and almost anything related to Quetzalcoatl (haha, boob jokes... how about no). Those one-shot short scenes that look like they were lifted from 4komas stand out as pretty odd at times as well, but aren't all that bad outside of often being big-lipped alligator moments at best. I do like how comfy the show feels most of the time, though.

You excited for something without mechs? Shock! :p

Contrary to popular belief, not everything I enjoy has to do with a giant robot in some form.

Majin Bone for instance, is not a mecha anime.

On my top ten favorite shows of all time, I'd say that there are only six mecha shows there.

Yes it's a majority, but it's not 100%. :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Konosuba Season 2, Episode 8:

Who knew the way to get the Church of Scientology to back off was to tell them you were a Jehovah's Witness?

jonjonaug

Maid Dragon 8

KyoAni continues to do work with this adaption. The cooking competition was entirely anime original, along with the final scene in the episode. Compare the resolution to this chapter in the manga:

To the anime:

At this point, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that anime!Tohru & anime!Kobayashi are essentially different characters from their manga counterpart. I really appreciate the development of Kobayashi's relationship with Tohru, especially since it's going to build to
Kobayashi's confrontation with XXX
<----- hot manga spoilers. As for Elma... well, I didn't like her in the manga all that much (too "Yell and point!" in a series that already has too much of that), but she's better in the manga. Mostly because her design is A+++ tier and her VA is great.

Maid Dragon is doing pretty great. I'm confident that it can stick the landing.
Haven't watched the episode yet, but both of those things in your post that you said weren't in the manga are in the manga. Head pat is chapter 26, cooking is 23.
Caught up with MaiDragon on a whim, and I'd say it's mostly good outside of the fanservice scenes such as Kanna x Riko (god, I hate the latter's overused moe reaction) and almost anything related to Quetzalcoatl (haha, boob jokes... how about no). Those one-shot short scenes that look like they were lifted from 4komas stand out as pretty odd at times as well, but aren't all that bad outside of often being big-lipped alligator moments at best. I do like how comfy the show feels most of the time, though.
Most of the boob joke stuff is anime original, which is kinda weird because most of the other original stuff is quite good. There actually is a Shota/Luccoa chapter in the manga that isn't just "small boy cannot handle boobs" jokes, but it's very recent so it probably won't be in the anime.

Logan

It's a good movie to end Hugh Jackmans run as Wolverine and Patrick Stewart as Xavier, and it's mostly successful with balancing the action, drama and the more comedic moments. Definitively worth a watch.

HeroAca gets the same day dub treatment for 6 episodes of s2

The new season of My Hero Academia premieres April 1st, and we're bringing it to you in the most epic way possible&#8212;the first 6 episodes will be same-day sub and dub! Yeah, you heard us. The dub will air the same day as the sub, and you'll only find both on FunimationNow Check out this all-new trailer!

https://funimation.com/myheroclass/...eroAcademia-S2&utm_content=MHA+Learn+More+CTA

The new season of My Hero Academia premieres April 1st, and we're bringing it to you in the most epic way possible—the first 6 episodes will be same-day sub and dub! Yeah, you heard us. The dub will air the same day as the sub, and you'll only find both on FunimationNow Check out this all-new trailer!

https://funimation.com/myheroclass/...eroAcademia-S2&utm_content=MHA+Learn+More+CTA
Thats really cool! I love the dub sooooo much! But that seems to mean that MHA won't be shared for the CR/funi collab.

This show is fucking incredible.

How fitting it is that the followers of Aqua's church are actually just crazy cultists obsessed with getting new members. Darkness shunned for being an Eris follower was perfect and the entire ending was genius.

e_i

The new season of My Hero Academia premieres April 1st, and we're bringing it to you in the most epic way possible—the first 6 episodes will be same-day sub and dub! Yeah, you heard us. The dub will air the same day as the sub, and you'll only find both on FunimationNow Check out this all-new trailer!

They did that for Akiba's Strip, which lasted a two weeks, then Funi moved the dub back a week.

Pundere

I'm a bit more mixed on this one than I was on other arcs this season. There's a lot of great stuff in it, but it's somewhat hampered by the higher-than-usual amount of lolicon shit.

Shinobu's whole flashback is great. The art is gorgeous and it gives a ton of insight into how she's lived her life til now. Ononoki is pretty fun as well. She's like a mini Crab with even flatter delivery. Gaen is one of the more interesting exposition dump characters I've seen, with a large part of that due to her relatively unique looking design and her personality.

That leaves Hachikuji as the weak link. A lot of the emotional weight in the story is undercut by the inherent creepiness of her relationship with Araragi. The 'Goodbye' scene is made way more awkward by her essentially confessing. Isn't she like 10? Why you having a 10 year old confess to a high schooler? Stop that.

I hope Ononoki meets Senjyogahara at some point so we can finally reach the deadpan tsundere singularity and the universe collapses.

JulianImp

Most of the boob joke stuff is anime original, which is kinda weird because most of the other original stuff is quite good. There actually is a Shota/Luccoa chapter in the manga that isn't just "small boy cannot handle boobs" jokes, but it's very recent so it probably won't be in the anime.

Sasuga Kyoani/whoever writes the anime adaptation, then? Weren't all those awful Phantom World fanservice episodes AOs as well?

I'm kind of surprised that the jokes are originals, since those mini-skits totally look like they were pulled straight out of 4komas.

I'm a bit more mixed on this one than I was on other arcs this season. There's a lot of great stuff in it, but it's somewhat hampered by the higher-than-usual amount of lolicon shit.

Shinobu's whole flashback is great. The art is gorgeous and it gives a ton of insight into how she's lived her life til now. Ononoki is pretty fun as well. She's like a mini Crab with even flatter delivery. Gaen is one of the more interesting exposition dump characters I've seen, with a large part of that due to her relatively unique looking design and her personality.

That leaves Hachikuji as the weak link. A lot of the emotional weight in the story is undercut by the inherent creepiness of her relationship with Araragi. The 'Goodbye' scene is made way more awkward by her essentially confessing. Isn't she like 10? Why you having a 10 year old confess to a high schooler? Stop that.

I hope Ononoki meets Senjyogahara at some point so we can finally reach the deadpan tsundere singularity and the universe collapses.

Well, Hachikuji died when she was 10/11 and has been dead for 11/10 years as well, making her a 21 year-old loli. apparition Not that it makes things any better, though, but if she hadn't died then she'd supposedly look like she did during the time travel arc.

As for that Hachikuji scene, I actually liked it because it was a better interaction between Koyomi and Mayoi than having the former grope the latter every single time they happened to come across each other.

I always forget the arc order in second season... next up is Hitagi End, right? You'd better prepare for one of my favorite arcs by far.
And not because it has Kaiki in it, but rather because this arc is what actually sold me on him as a character.

Szadek

If you count the time the spend as a ghost, she is actually older than him.

Anyway, the next arc is pretty awesome.

Cornbread78

DxD ep.8-11
That battle was pretty intense, but that ending with Phoenix was meh. Would have liked to see a difinitive victory rather than that "demonized" victory.

Even without the loli shit Shinobu Time is pretty middle of the road for Monogatari arcs but the episode about Kiss-Shot's past is awesome, even though its a literal sideshow (the art is great, though.)

I really like how Kiss-Shot's power is portrayed in this universe in that she's SSS tier in power and the runner-ups to her would be at D tier. You'd have to Joseph Joestar her the way only Oshino Meme and maybe Gaen and Kaiki could do. She's like an MMO boss from the seventh expansion down the line wandering around at launch.

Just the Greek God-esque stories of leaping from Antarctica to Japan and making a lake from the impact and then being worshiped by villagers and deciding to hang out there for a while is hilarious.

So I finished the second (and a half) series of Gintama today. My binge of Gintama has been a pretty fun ride overall so far.

Gintama' was definitely a solid continuation of the series. Four Devas ended up being my favorite arc of the bunch and my favorite arc of the franchise so far. Shinpachi getting a 2D Girlfriend, the Shogon trying to join the gang at the pool, and the Harem-two parters were the funniest episodes of the bunch IMHO. If I have a criticism, it's that the two other "serious" arcs, Renho and Thorny, weren't as good the Four Devas and dragged.

Gintama' Enchosen was pretty dense, but excellent. I ended up only watching the new episodes rather than watch the reruns as well. Kintama was probably the feel good arc, of the trio. I really like Tama as a character so her being prominent in the arc was a treat. Courtesan of a Nation was really good; diving into more of Gintoki's background while exploring the actual politics of this world. School of Beam Saber was the weak link, if only because the characters were so on the nose with what the theme of the arc was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom