• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's not what I said at all. Why don't you try reading it again? I did not make any judgement on inherent quality. I was explaining why one show has an advantage over the other when people tend to think of how good an overall series is. Since "best" of anything is really a matter of taste and the feeling people get from what they enjoy, understanding viewer psychology is important to knowing why certain conclusions would be drawn.

I guess I read your post wrong.

I do agree, but I'm not sure the shows should be compared in anything other than execution and consistency. They set out to accomplish very different things. Really, the only significant common thread is Bones.

Shergal

One thing that strikes me about the art is the background work. It looks like some sort of pastel element to it and I'm wondering if that'll carry through to the show.

I also like the tone of the visual.

It looks like Clannad. Maybe the art director will be the Clannad guy. I'd hope not, I don't really like the art direction in his shows. They should put up Shuhei Okude (Hyouka) on the task again, he did a bang-up job as a first timer and probably the best out of any Background artist in Kyoani.

jgminto

Kill la Kill 24 END

That was a pretty good end to a fairly average show. The action was never satisfying and Ryuko was a fairly bland protagonist, though I didn't hate her, but the sidecast kept the show enjoyable for the most part. My expectations were definitely too high for Trigger's first TV outing, though I doubt they would have met my lowest animation expectations. If they want to make the credit sequence from the final episode into a second season I would probably enjoy that more than this one, it would remove most of my problems with it. I also don't appreciate these ridiculous hintings that Ryuko x Mako could be a thing. Everyone knows that Mako x Gamagoori is OTP.

Also it turns out everyone was a barbie doll, a shocking twist that nobody saw coming.

duckroll

I guess I read your post wrong.

I do agree, but I'm not sure the shows should be compared in anything other than execution and consistency. They set out to accomplish very different things. Really, the only significant common thread is Bones.

That's the only thing people are comparing here though. They say Noragami is the better BONES show of the season because it's the one they prefer. The only reason it's even a comparison is because the same studio made both shows.

As for why people would compare BONES shows, it's probably because BONES is the greatest anime studio in the industry today, and the one worth over-analyzing and obsessing over the most. Why do I say that? Because I'm an unashamed hardcore BONES fanboy, that's why. :)

I'm an Ufotable fanboy. Though BONES and MADHOUSE are a close second. But for me Ufotable has been more consistent with shit I liked, mainly cause of type moon works.

Coyote Ragtime Show doesn't exist. You shut your lying mouth.

duckroll

I'm an Ufotable fanboy. Though BONES and MADHOUSE are a close second. But for me Ufotable has been more consistent with shit I liked, mainly cause of type moon works.

Coyote Ragtime Show doesn't exist. You shut your lying mouth.

I'm a Ufotable fan too, but only since Fate/Zero. But that can't really compare to how I've been following the work of people who are now at BONES for about 16 years now.

Now what do we have to look forward too? Shitty Kyoani shows because they won't greenlight Hyouka Season 2 or adapt more KEY material. Spring will suck. Anime is dead.

I just want more FMP, K-ON, and Haruhi.

More of it all. Key, K-On, Haruhi.

YAMI TO BOBOBO BO BOBOBO BO BO TO PANKEIKI NO SEIKAI DE PANQUECAS 13

Hm... Interest in adding to backlog increasing...

Kill la Kill 24 - Finale

Super Saiyan Ryuko! Another series I'm glad to have started at the beginning. Very good animation, action sequences were nice, even if they had that dbz feel to them
Everyone give me your energy!

Soundtrack was golden, they somehow managed to fit both openings and endings into one episode which was simply delightful.

Loved short hair you know who at the end :)

Real quick thought, also posted to twitter. Before this season, I'd been out of anime for a very long time. When did 24 episode series become the thing? is 24 the new 26?

_hekk05

Banned
Hmm. It appears the first 15 minutes of Kanajo ga Flag wo Oraretara has been leaked. Female lead speaks in the olde tongue and is a massive turnoff in my opinion. She doesn't even wear old school yukatas or kimonos to fit the image.

Edit: Wait a second .... She's European. I forgot. Why the olde tongue?

Articalys

Samurai Flamenco ep.22

And so our grand adventure finally reaches its conclusion.

That was bizarre but also rather underwhelming.
After dealing with Sawada, it just kind of... ended. No final supernatural twist of any sort, just life goes on as normal. Though I guess that might have been the point.

Still:
DTL is gonna have a field day with this episode.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Well they weren't exactly that subtle about it.

Disappointed they didn't end it with some fireworks after that shot.

if you know what I mean.

Oh I know what you mean.

V9rKhF6.jpg

fertygo

Kuroko's Basketball - 49

Goddamn, that's really spectacular episode.. I'll say this is the best episode from the series also beat all other episode from all sport show that starting in fall, just simply outstanding.

Shame I can't make .gif right now, but dat Himuro/Kagami's dribble sakuga.. once again goddamn.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Did you just rewrite my post? o_O

"What the hell is Felix talking about? I didn't rewrite his po-"

*checks*

...well fuck me, I did.

The only explanation I can think of is that I haven't been feeling super good these past few days, I'm basically running on empty here. I guess I...just couldn't be fucked to think of something substantial to say and subconsciously regurgitated a post I read previously? I dunno...my apologies though, in any case.

I really feel like this is just another sign that I need a nice long break away from anime. If it's getting to the point where I can't even think of anything to say about the stuff I'm watching on my own...I guess I really *am* burned out.

Yeah, this settles it I think. Not watching anything this upcoming season besides Puchimas (because that's like three minutes a day, so whatever). I need a break.

kapowza

Silver Spoon - End

That was fucking beautiful. I don't know whether to read the manga now or hold out in hope of a third season.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
"What the hell is Felix talking about? I didn't rewrite his po-"

*checks*

...well fuck me, I did.

The only explanation I can think of is that I haven't been feeling super good these past few days, I'm basically running on empty here. I guess I...just couldn't be fucked to think of something substantial to say and subconsciously regurgitated a post I read previously? I dunno...my apologies though, in any case.

I really feel like this is just another sign that I need a nice long break away from anime. If it's getting to the point where I can't even think of anything to say about the stuff I'm watching on my own...I guess I really *am* burned out.

Yeah, this settles it I think. Not watching anything this upcoming season besides Puchimas (because that's like three minutes a day, so whatever). I need a break.

Ah don't take it bad man, I just thought it was funny, if anything. If you think you need a break, that's up to you and you should probably take one. We'll be looking forward to your return.

Fellow BONES loyalists! It is time to say goodbye to Winter:

And say hello to Spring:

I guess I missed the memo on how many bones shows there were this fall, was already planning to watch Soul Eater Not (in some back handed prayer we'll get a Soul Eater Ultimate/Brotherhood/Final Act) guess I'll check out the other shows too

Pooya

kill la kill end
fun last episode, still a bad series overall that I can't recommend to anybody. Maybe if they make a trimmed down version someday in form of movies and such. You could cut this in half and nothing of value would be lost.

Noragami end
I become a fan since the first episode, kinda dozed off after the anime original thing kicked in over the last 2-3 episodes, dunno why, it's not like I've ever read the manga or anything, it did feel worse though but not much. Cool series which I really want to see more mainly because of the characters which I liked a lot, hopefully without BONES inserted content next time around, not holding my breath for it to happen anytime soon or probably ever. It felt like this anime barely scratched the surface of the source material and it was just an introduction in the end, you have all these support characters and their stories been hinted at but nothing happens, to be continued in the manga of course... which is a shame because the anime is very well made I'd rather watch all of that :|

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Man, I haven't watched Golden Boy since it was on VHS. I clicked that link and haven't been able to stop watching (except for replying here ;P)

Still my favorite dub ever I'd have to say.

It really is so good. I don't know how many times I've watched it but I did the same thing you did: I had to watch that episode one more time and I still have the biggest, goofiest grin on my face. Life truly is study.

Tatsuya Egawa finished publishing the Golden Boy II manga in 2011. I know it's a really, really long shot but I would absolutely adore another episode of Golden Boy, especially if you can get Doug Smith back to do the dub. It's never gonna happen, but good god, if it ever got announced my hype meter would be broken so hard.

jgminto

Samurai Flamenco 22 END

Ok, that was a great episode. Goto's flashback was actually pretty emotional surprisingly and
Naked
Flamenco had me in a fit.
If Goto x Hazama actually became a legit thing that would have made this best ending of the season by a mile.
The episode would have fit with pre-Guillotine Gorilla Samumenco too for the most part. I still wish the show remained that way but as it went on all I can do is sit down, laugh my head off and go along with the ride.

Tenchi Muyo! OVA 2

Princess was gonna marry her brother? Gross. Stupid royals.

Best part of the episode was Ryoko's face as the ship was plumetting toward Earth. Maybe she is evil.

I like the dancing snowmen in the ED.

Well the reasonning is simple .... all their power ( political , economical , military ) comes from their ship-trees and the stronger your bloodline is , the stronger ships you have.
Many in the royal familly actually said "no" but the princess liked her brother too much.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 35

Not to put too fine a point on it, but TK's VA really kinda sucks.

Digimon Adventures 02 - 36

Arukenimon and Mummymon take time out of villainy to go get some Chinese food and stumble across the digidestined. A *wacky* episode, i.e. not very entertaining.

Digimon Adventures 02 - 37

Azulongmon pops around to dump some expository lore and explain some stuff about the crests and digieggs. But still kinda doesn't really end up saying anything beyond "Don't worry about the Destiny Stones" and "Your job's not done yet". Oh well.

cnet128

Banned
*catches up with thread* Wow, reactions to the Kill la Kill finale seem to be running the whole gamut. Not that KlK being divisive is anything new.

Sadly thanks to a number of factors including the release of Project Diva F 2nd and an extremely untimely headache, I barely got through any anime last night and so there are like six series finales that I should have watched but haven't. Kill la Kill is one of those. I am going to have so much to power through this evening >.>

every season theres a show nobody expected to be great. Mikakunin joins this beloved group.

I think you mean "nobody expected except for cnet". I put Mikakunin in top tier before this season began, and prepared a "secret best show of the season" tier especially for Non Non Biyori before that season began. I'm pretty much on a roll here.

(Let's ignore the fact that I also put Kyoukai no Kanata in top tier in one of those posts >.>)

Engaged to the Unidentified 12

That was rather pleasant. Didn't expect that at all. No real drama, just a sweet and happy ending.

I like the way you can claim "no real drama" when the episode involved
the main character almost freezing to death in a snowstorm and then actually falling off a cliff
. And yet I can't argue with your evaluation.

Does that ichikasomething LN anime from BONES already have comfirmed airing season?

If you mean Hitsugi no Chaika, it's starting in less than two weeks. If you don't, then, uh...I'm not sure what else you could mean.

Samurai Flamenco 22

The whole
Naked Flamenco
scene was hilarious looooooooooooooooool. It was a nice finale.

Very entertaining series. Glad I watched it.

Crocodile

If there's some sort of "best episode" discussion, Space Dandy will probably show up more than Noragami. But as far as a "best show" discussion goes for the season, I think many people who watched all the Noragami and all of Space Dandy will agree that Noragami is a more consistent show, and has stronger characters and relationships. The action in Noragami is often also more meaningful because there's more weight behind it, as opposed to random stuff for the sake of animation.

I've enjoyed Space Dandy a lot since episode 4, but I find that I still don't really care about any of the characters. That's part of what the show requires though, since any given episode needs to be able to kill off any or all characters for the lulz if whoever is writing or directing it feels like doing that. It's a super creative episodic show, but as a comedy it isn't that funny, and the dramatic beats are hit or miss. It's very well produced, but most of the time it does feel like more of a technical show off.

Consistency only "really" means something when it refers to the "mean quality" (consistently good-great) of a show as opposed to the standard deviation of the episodes. For example, the production of Samurai Flamenco is also pretty consistent........consistently awful. The standard deviation of Dandy episodes is certainly higher than for Noragami episodes but the best Dandy episodes BLOW Noragami away and the mean quality of Dandy episodes, when you average out the meh and the excellent episodes, is still much higher than the mean quality of Noragami episodes.

As for characters and their relationships, I don't agree that Noragami has the advantage here. How the characters related and the character humor in Noragami is still full of anime tropes so it’s not going to win points there (something even Samurai Flamenco of all shows manages time to time). Over the course of the show they became better friends but I don’t think the characters themselves really changed or improved that much. Nothing about the characters really struck me as strong or that their interplay was especially good. Yato was cool enough but he was pretty much the same dude he was in episode 1 as he was in episode 12. I quite like Hiyori for her spunk and proactive attitude but I never felt I learned much more about her as the show went on nor did I felt like I grew to like her more. My opinion of her stayed decently high but it never changed. Similarly, I thought Yukine was SHIT from day one and he only grew shittier as the show went. "HERP DERP I HAVE NO FRIENDS!" FUCK OFF kid you’re a dumbshit and after the show HAMMERED IN that stupid point for like a zillion episodes, episode 9 wasn't nearly enough to redeem him – he merely went from total shitface to just merely tolerable/ignorable/somewhat less shitty. Stay shitty, shitface. In fact the show would have been better if he never existed – given how the first episode was set up I assumed Hiyori would become Yato’s Regalia. The two of them were enough for the show, no need to shit it up with Yukine.

I also suppose I was supposed to feel something deep & emotional during the Rabo arc? I mean I don’t think it was executed poorly at all but it was certainly by the numbers and predictable. Aside from reaffirming that Hiyori is kind of cool and some sweet fight scenes, I didn’t really care about what happened :/

As for the Dandy crew, despite the fact that there is little continuity between episodes, I definitely feel they have become stronger as a crew and that they interact more naturally and play off each other better as the show has progressed. Just by watching them "live", interact and be themselves, as well as the deeper glimpses that have popped up (episodes 5, 10, etc.) I've grown to like them more and more. It also helps that Space Dandy, both the show and how the crew interacts, is actually funny more often than not whereas the humor in Noragami very rarely worked.

Dandy is a knuckle-head but his perversion has stayed within tolerable levels and his charisma, confidence and straight-forward attitude have won me over. I think someone said the character reminded them of a Jojo protagonist and honestly I think that's a fair analogy. No, he's no Joesph Joestar but I think he's a quality, likeable protagonist. Meow started as a lazy doofus and while he's still lazy and doofy, Meow’s character arc (episode 10 mostly but there were bits and pieces elsewhere) did more to endure me to that character than anything that happened in Noragami. I think there were real concerns that Dandy and Meow were too similar to play off each other well but I feel that has become less and less of an issue as the season has passed. QT seemed to start off in the nagging nanny/crew conscience role but has developed a stronger personality as the season has progressed - QT has had increasingly well-defined and distinct wants, opinions, preferences and beliefs. The character has grown into his/her own recently and based on online impressions, Episode 13 should only further prove that point. I feel the show overall has a very "show, not tell" approach and I very much appreciate that.

TLDR:
Noragami is respectable but very by-the-numbers and nothing groundbreaking. Space Dandy is brimming with creativity (though it falls into the tried and true from time to time) and has characters I enjoy more seeing them interact and I feel have changed more (or I’ve learned more about them) over the course of the show than Noragami. Also I don’t hate any of the main cast in Space Dandy whereas Yukine in Noragami is forever shit tier.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 38

Creepy real life creepy dude finally turns irl to creep on TK and Matt's mum. And he's suppppppppppppper creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Tai demonstrates his maturity by basically giving up on Sora because I HATE YOU DIGIMON ADVENTURES 02 YOU BASTARRDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Matt plays a kickass jam and Davis suggests strip poker, but fortunately for all our young minds Digimon invade the real world on Christmas Day. Everyone digivolves in one badass sequence. All fun as we start the 'banish dudes back to the digital world' arc.

Man, lip flaps really screwed the dub over back in the day. The voice spacing is completely fucked up.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 38

Oh yeah! Starting up Digimon World Tour! The parents and family show up at the last second to wish them off. I love anything to do with the kid's families, cos they're all so cool with this rad shit going down.

Imperialdramon moves at lightspeed.

cajunator

Banned
Is this the general anime gaf thread? I don't really catch up on the new animes but I've started High school DxD and Haganai recently. The former being pretty... well you know.
BOOBIES
I like the concept to Haganai so far (and I guess I just enjoy pointless animes in general).

Yup this is the one!
Haganai was pretty fun. I think youll enjoy that series a lot.

I have a confession to make
I actually kinda liked Yami's OP

Its really catchy. Reminds me of other early 00's era anime themes.

When I was about to start the series I asked Hito and Madp what it was about and all they'd say was stuff like "Lesbians and pancakes." and "It was too yuri for SDBurton."

I should've paid attention to the signs.

You experienced a landmark in anime history Corvy. Wasnt it an incredible watch?

The List is -not- a list of bad anime.

Otherwise Code Geass should be removed from that list. Either make it a list for bad anime or keep it for what its original purpose was.

edit: Geass never belonged on the list in its first place. Its inclusion has always been fucking ridiculous.

I disagree. Code Geass is pretty special in how it trolls people and passes off ludicrous things as normal. The List itself isnt all bad shows or all good shows, but shows that should have a noticeable impact on a person (positively or negatively) and that they wont soon forget. Weve all witnessed how shows on this list effect people and that speaks for itself.

Thoraxes

The List is -not- a list of bad anime.

Otherwise Code Geass should be removed from that list. Either make it a list for bad anime or keep it for what its original purpose was.

edit: Geass never belonged on the list in its first place. Its inclusion has always been fucking ridiculous.
It's partially just a list to troll people and the things they like now. When it was pure it used to be good.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 40

I never really appreciated how crazy fanservicey this episode is. Davis, Matt and Ken meet Michael and his dad, who turns out to be a crazy Hollywood Movie Star who funds their transport costs. A bunch of American digidestined turn up and converge at Central Park and shit is rad as a bunch of Digimon fight their way through Manhattan. (One kid is super native american or something, I think, but it's not toooooooooo bad).

Meanwhile, in Hong Kong, some chinese bros have a bunch of clams and a massive crush on Kari. But then suddenly CHINESE-INDIAN BOUNDARY DISPUTES! The digimon want to fight their way through, but Kari turns out to be a god-tier diplomat and negotiates passage to HK. The Party won't be happy about this. (Some cute international-tier digidestined designs here)

I'm going to assume having Digivices just gives you autotranslate powers cos that makes everything easier.

Meanwhile, in Japan, Arukenimon and Mummymon start their suspicious white van business.

cajunator

Banned
Last anime on my Clannad Challenge anime list is Haibane Renmei. Please be gentle. And for the love of God please be halfway decent.

Ooooh such a great series!

Haibane Renmei is an excellent show. You'll probably hate it though.

I hope not. It is the best anime series.

Kids love Cinnamon Toast because they know damn well to stay the Hell away from the Devil's Breakfast.

I love you Corvy kun.

If I made the OP the title would be a joke about Cajunator outposting everyone and the OP would be an unfunny gif from a show nobody wanted to remember anyway. Season previews would be a link to the front page of Wikipedia with a .bmp of the words "Do it yourself" hastily scribbled in.

I'd probably deserve to be banned for the OP alone.

about that..

Guys, Corvo is turning into a Hidamari Sketch character.

This is a great thing!

jgminto

Samumenco belongs on the list, and I'm loving it.
Ehhh I don't really feel like Samumenco is list material. Sure, the initial twist is pretty crazy and it has a couple of insanely hilarious moments throughout but, for me at least, once I got used to it the show felt fairly normal in its own weird way. Mostly because of how all the characters interact with each other, I think.

duckroll

TLDR:[/B] Noragami is respectable but very by-the-numbers and nothing groundbreaking. Space Dandy is brimming with creativity (though it falls into the tried and true from time to time) and has characters I enjoy more seeing them interact and I feel have changed more (or I’ve learned more about them) over the course of the show than Noragami. Also I don’t hate any of the main cast in Space Dandy whereas Yukine in Noragami is forever shit tier.

It's fine if you feel this way. I just don't agree. Dandy characters are just a bunch of stock dumbasses who are only fun to watch when played against other one-off supporting characters who are far more interesting. Noragami on the other hand has characters I care about and sympathize with. Yes, even Yukine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom