• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Ehhh I don't really feel like Samumenco is list material. Sure, the initial twist is pretty crazy and it has a couple of insanely hilarious moments throughout but, for me at least, once I got used to it the show felt fairly normal in its own weird way. Mostly because of how all the characters interact with each other, I think.

I don't know, even after all the stupid bullshit I still wasn't expecting
NANOMACHINES, SON

Impossible
The last time I read comic before sleep, I ended up reading all the volume in one go.

ib2Arrm2558vKk.jpg

Strange+ 11-12
It was a silly little series but it was entertaining a number of times. The finale was a pretty funny parody of sailor moon

cajunator

Banned
Fuck, DaL II starts in two weeks?

I AM SO READY

C'mon man, I need more people to watch shows like this with me.

I can't be the only one.

Youre not. Im intrigued by it too.

New Kill la Kill box quote: "Better than Yami!"

NO way possible.

Is it wrong when seeing someone suffering from watching Yami brings me intense joy?

The List effect is very strong. Schadenfreude is a side effect.

Spring Anime 2014 |OT| The Tampire Returns

Tampire was so cute! I forget who drew it.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 41

Joe and Kody are in Australia, and while the rest of the world freaks out about Digimon turning up, Australians don't give a shit about dangerous monsters turning up suddenly. Santa turns up and directs them to the Barrier Reef, but it turns out to be Hogan, who is Jeni except with a hilariously terrible Aussie accent. Jesus christ. Actually, every digidestined in Australia has an incredibly bad accent.

Apparently in this episode, you can destroy Control Spires in Sydney and just motorboat your way to the Great Barrier Reef. Oh well. At least these Aussies are environmentalists... but apparently the best way to avoid damage to the reef is to fight... underwater... you might not have thought this through, Joe.

Meanwhile, in France... Tai and TK meet up with TK's hilariously french and badass Grandpa who gets worked up when he sees Versailles Palace is open. Probably my favourite 3 digimon enemy introductions as Mamemon, BigMameMon, and MetalMameMon turn up. They beat the tar out of them and flirt with the French girls until they take out a control spire down by the Seanne. How romantic.

Theonik

Good thing this season is pretty much done already. (Except for episode 13 of Hozuki no Reitetsu - hurray!)
Don't forget the last episode of Sekai Seifuku.

DIO IS COMING BACK!?

This year just gets better and better.
Didn't you watch the after credits sequence of JoJo?

Do you remember how many spoilers you have posted in your life.
Is that your final Dandy?

Area 88 or whatever 1

also CG, but not as extensive as Ape Escape. Still made me want to die on the inside. Nevermind it being boring and not filled with many females out of this pink hair girl WHO MIGHT AS WELL BE CALLED SAKURA! I mean if she isn't, that's either a relief or one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

I forgot everything else.

Oh right
For this it's the OVA that's worth seeing.

Anyone that earned it.
Oh my.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 41

As a 9-year-old macks on Ken in Mexico, Yolei and Sora suffer communication problems in Moscow - and after solving them are banished to Siberia for their pains! Everyone's home in time for Christmas morning, but Mummymon and Arukenimon's unmarked white van services are doing a roaring trade in kidnapped children. Oh dear...

fertygo

Hajime no Ippo : Rising - 22

Mamoru Miyano as Young Kamogawa's VA are... intriguing. Young Nekota casting is pretty spot on though, Hiroyuki Yoshino are perfect fit.

Yay we finally get the flashback arc, after they just skip it in 2nd season.. and this start isn't disappointing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Samurai Flamenco Episode 22:

Wow, okay, I'll give it you Samurai Flamenco, I didn't think you would actually end with
the innermost thoughts and desires of the one known as Dedication Through Light. Also, I didn't hate Mari here, mainly because she dropped most of the selfish bitch gimmick for a spell and was kept to a minimum. Honestly Flamranger Pink was more annoying, which is impressive since I can barely remember anything about her or the other Flamrangers. Anyway, that would have been a nice bit of the closure for the series had they, I dunno, is Goto still talking to his spirit girlfriend? Was she actually not dead and is in Nicaragua? Why would you do that? Why did you undermine the entire fucking episode with this shit? Anyway, Goto's flashback was, well, really redundant since we had already established all of this in episodes previous.Also, Hadji is so not the Joker, more like The Cluemaster on the rouge's gallery scale. Honestly, I would have preferred this to have ended with the Alien Flamenco saga.

cajunator

Banned
You also have not seen Samurai Seven, god damn that was pointless shitburger.

Nope I havent. By the sounds of it I dont want to.
I remember looking at the artbox at Best Buy back when they pretended to care about anime.

Shows from this season alone that have had better action sequences than Kill la Kill:
Magi
Space Dandy
Witch Craft Works
Zvezda
Noragami
Wizard Barristers
Gundam Build Fighters
Robot Girls Z
Sakura Trick

Damn. thats harsh.

Tomorrow I need to do a write-up about Great Teacher Onizuka. I haven't outright obsessed over a franchise as much as this one in a while. Everything as been amazing. Jesus Christ.

It is pretty good. I wouldnt have taken up vlauable real estate in my room for it otherwise.

I'm an Ufotable fanboy. Though BONES and MADHOUSE are a close second. But for me Ufotable has been more consistent with shit I liked, mainly cause of type moon works.

Coyote Ragtime Show doesn't exist. You shut your lying mouth.

Oh yes it does. Its right here on my shelf! It definitely exists.

More of it all. Key, K-On, Haruhi.

Hm... Interest in adding to backlog increasing...

Dooooo it!

Kill la Kill 24 - Finale

Super Saiyan Ryuko! Another series I'm glad to have started at the beginning. Very good animation, action sequences were nice, even if they had that dbz feel to them
Everyone give me your energy!

Soundtrack was golden, they somehow managed to fit both openings and endings into one episode which was simply delightful.

Loved short hair you know who at the end :)

Real quick thought, also posted to twitter. Before this season, I'd been out of anime for a very long time. When did 24 episode series become the thing? is 24 the new 26?

Not really. 24 episode series have been around a long itme. I have two in my collection from early 2000s that I can think of right away. Stellvia and Kiddy Grade. I know this because companies used to package them weird. For 26 episode series there were usually 7 volume DVDs. For 24 episode ones there were 8!! So more volumes for less episodes. companies used to get away with so much stuff (and I was enabling them to cause I needed my fix)

See also: Paranoia Agent episode 10

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Noragami 1-6

So basically, this is Shakugan no Shana if it were actually good. Get a bit of that FMA feel, though, where it's like it can't seem to part with particular anime gags that hold it back.

sonicmj1

THE IDOLM@STER MOVIE: 輝きの向こう側へ!

Let's lead off with the most important thing of all.

The fake 765Pro movie trailer in this installment is the best movie trailer to date in the series. The trailer for "眠り姫" (Sleeping Beauty), with its
mix of magical action, horror elements, and a Maria-sama ga Miteru-esque all-girls school setting (!!)
, is an absolute delight. I felt I had gotten my money's worth in the first ten minutes.

The rest of the film is about the girls preparing for a grand arena live show. Many of the characters' careers have advanced since we last saw them, and there are some potential temporary separations in the future, but the meat of the film is about Haruka, the 'leader' of the team, trying to manage a difficult situation.

There are some parallels between the storyline here and the final arc of the TV series, but the differences give everything a lot more weight. Most of the conflict revolves around a group of rookie backup dancers, a crew that I guess I'd know if I followed Cinderella Girls. They have a lot of trouble keeping up with the pace of these top idols, and they don't have the effortless chemistry that binds the main crew together. On top of that, the producer stays out of things, putting the bulk of the responsibility for solving the problem on Haruka. And as much as the film shows how she's grown, exerting leadership doesn't always come naturally to her when things don't break her way.

iAvBYIhjSgVVS.jpg

Theatergoers were also rewarded with this autograph board from the new characters in the movie.

Ultimately, it plays out like a much-longer version of a TV episode, which is really exactly what I wanted. There aren't a lot of surprises, everyone gets a little moment in the sun, and there's lots of well-animated 2D dancing. The final concert relies on CG for wide shots, and switches to 2D whenever characters get in close. It usually works pretty seamlessly.

I feel like the second half drags when the tone starts to get heavier, and more people are standing around sharing their feelings, but I still had a very good time and felt well-rewarded by the end. The animation team's enthusiasm for the series shows through in their work, and I relish every chance I get to spend time following these ambitious girls on their road to stardom.

Look forward to it.

Samurai Flamenco Episode 22: Samurai Flamenco, Naked [END]

First portion of the final episode was a bit dull
as we already went down that whole Goto san route with the missing girlfriend and much of it did feel a bit on the fake or maybe overdone side of things working with that to make him go all out for Heiji in anger
tumblr_n34dqqVpTB1rfxptlo2_250.gif

But after that it was just simply fantastic and almost an entire fanfic come true even.
The nekkid proposal was amazing first with Heiji as like their adopted son of sorts to keep over watching him as he goes on with life, and then with Masayoshi confessing and proclaiming love to Goto, and Goto not even denying or anything and going with it. Truly theyll have many happy days together, it just needed them holding hands (and not arms) at the final scene to be effect

So overall a wonderful series that did struggle part of the way and had wonky production values at times that kept it from ever reaching masterpiece tier. Concluding two arcs were its best moments since its beginning. I think the other flamengers could have had a bit more development and focus though. DateTime was an incredible ending song as well. 9/10.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Winter season over? Nice! Let's get those uncensored BDs of Maken-Ki Two on the presses so I can finally watch them!!!!

So what was GAF's AOTS? Aside from KLK.

KLK
Silver Spoon S2
GBF
Golden Time
Ace of the Diamond
Nisekoi
Sakura Trick
SamFlam
Seki-kun
Noragami
Chuu 2 2
D-Frag
Space Dandy
Inari

KLK, Silver Spoon, GBF and Golden Time are definitely my favorites out of the bunch. Only show I actually regret watching was Inari. Totally bleh.

OceanBlue

THE IDOLM@STER MOVIE: 輝きの向こう側へ!

Ultimately, it plays out like a much-longer version of a TV episode, which is really exactly what I wanted. There aren't a lot of surprises, everyone gets a little moment in the sun, and there's lots of well-animated 2D dancing. The final concert relies on CG for wide shots, and switches to 2D whenever characters get in close. It usually works pretty seamlessly.

I feel like the second half drags when the tone starts to get heavier, and more people are standing around sharing their feelings, but I still had a very good time and felt well-rewarded by the end. The animation team's enthusiasm for the series shows through in their work, and I relish every chance I get to spend time following these ambitious girls on their road to stardom.

Look forward to it.

Glad to hear the positive reception. I can't wait!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Winter season over? Nice! Let's get those uncensored BDs of Maken-Ki Two on the presses so I can finally watch them!!!!

Kill la Kill, Log Horizon and Gundam Build Fighter are kind of cheating since they are fall shows left over so I vote for Hozuki no Reitetsu.

cajunator

Banned
Space Heater PS3! That thing looks kinda dusty :(

Also nice nendo. They should be facing towards each other though.

those two hugging each other might set off a nuclear moe reaction.

edit: holy fuck it does. Oh my god thats the cutest fucking thing I have ever seen. Im leaving them like that.

Midonin

Samurai Flamenco 22 + Final Thoughts

I picked this up because of the toku elements - that's always been my home fandom, and because of that, my favorite stretch of episodes was from 8-14, the King Torture/From Beyond arcs, when things felt most like a toku show. The stuff around that wasn't bad, and in the end, it did have things to say about heroism, especially the kind of heroism that tokusatsu provides. Haiji had a point - a lot of heroes have a tragic past, but, just as Masayoshi subconcsiously drew people towards danger, so was he trying to force the world to his ideals.

When the show was poking fun at toku tropes, that's when it was at its best. Where else can I say that Sailor Moon and Zaborger were on screen at the same time? The last episode was very :DTL, more than I usually see in anime. I'm glad that MineMira got a chance to do something. I even liked Mari a bit. It's a combination of her voice actor and her magical girl affections. She was a spoiled princess, but she had her moments of weakness - enough to make me sympathetic towards her.

In the end, a completely unpredictable show, and one of the few explorations of toku I've seen in anime form. The second point alone would make it memorable for me. It was a fun ride, and even with the behind the scenes rush to get things like the second OP ready, it produced something that largely holds together. I call that a win.

Kill La Kill 24

Final Death Count:
FW Precure to GoGo/HC/Doki
>
Fresh
= Kill La Kill >
Remaining Precure seasons

No one told me there was a massive orgy in this.
That rush to save Ryuko by Satsuki. Gawd damn

fertygo

Witch Craft Works, still need to catching up for Silver Soon/Dandy though.

If we counting carriage from fall, GBF and Kuroko's Basketball seem gonna delivering strong finish.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Brief Chuunibyou Ren post-series thoughts

So the more I think about it, the more I feel like Chuunibyou S2 is a thing that didn't need to exist. While the first season wasn't the best thing KyoAni's ever done, far from it, it at least told a story. Sure, that story was basically a generic romcom story with the extra added gimmick of chuunibyou, but it was (mostly) competently told, and felt like it had a purpose. Whereas it felt like S2's purpose was "Hey otaku, give us more of your money". It didn't feel like it had any meaningful story to tell. Yes, the Shichimiya thing was the main dramatic plot point, but
it was poorly handled and never generated any real drama anyway. Never were we made to feel like she was a legitimate threat to Yuuta and Rikka's relationship. There was no real drama there at all.
So all we're really left with is seeing how Yuuta and Rikka's relationship evolves. And the answer to that is...it basically doesn't. They still keep up their weird father/daughter relationship, with Yuuta never really viewing Rikka as an equal, instead constantly treating her like a child. It's weird, often boring, and they rarely if ever feel like a couple you can cheer for, unlike say, Koko and Banri from Golden Time.

In short, Chuuni S2 is a thing that shouldn't have been made, and it's clear that nobody at KyoAni ever stopped and said "We better not".

Gbraga

For some reason I really feel like starting Oreimo as soon as possible. I guess I'll get to it this weekend along with Season 1 of JoJo to get ready for the WORLD

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
For some reason I really feel like starting Oreimo as soon as possible. I guess I'll get to it this weekend along with Season 1 of JoJo to get ready for the WORLD

You really shouldn't.

Watch the JoJo OVAs if you haven't. Way better than the series.

And don't watch OreImo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom