• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo G 17

Don't mind me. I'm just gonna sit here and cry my eyes out about an episode in which demons force the heroes to kill dogs and in which a little boy almost loses his puppy.

Right in the goddamn feels here.

CorvoSol

Right from the title of the episode you knew it was going to be amazing. I mean, only in Samurai Flamenco does the hero interpret
you need to use love as a weapon!
to mean
you need to get naked and make love to people. That is how you save the world. Get naked right now. Have sex. Right now. Do it.

Truly the most Menco means of interpreting that ever.

CorvoSol

Great Mazinger 17

Now hold the damn phone. Dr. Hell's Mechanical Beasts and now the Mycenaean War Beasts have laid waste to Tokyo and the whole of Japan ON A WEEKLY BASIS FOR OVER ONE HUNDRED WEEKS. and you mean to tell me that Haruna's shrewish mother has no idea what a War Beast is!?

I mean, that's not just a matter of not watching the news. That's not a matter of living away from the action. This is a matter of her never going outside. For over one hundred weeks. In order for her to have know idea what a War Beast is, no inkling that humanity is currently locked in a struggle with gigantic, mechanized weapon-intelligence symbiotes in the service of a band of renegade interstellar pre-Grecian Gods, this woman would have to have entered a bomb shelter during the last week of World War II and then not come out of it until today.

Like, seriously. How fucking dumb is this woman that she doesn't know about the giant monsters that have been leveling cities across the country for damn well near three years now?

What in the fuck is she smoking?

Holy shit, no wonder kids in Gundam are always going on about how useless adults are. I mean shit lady, on the way TO the Science Fortress Lab you MUST have passed NUMEROUS buildings under reconstruction after the nigh infinite number of battles that have been going on. Did you not even stop to ask what had caused so much damage to the nation's infrastructure?

Did you even bother to wonder why a demilitarized Japan under the iron fist of expansionist American rule was permitted to build a fortress and multiple gigantic mechanical weapons in the name of national defense?

Bombless

I still win because Mister Justice and Alien Flamenco existed. But they should've ended the show on the high note.

Clearly you aren't Flamenco enough for this show. Episode 22 was quite the apotheosis.

Samurai Flamenco END

The show that saved Anime. Even though Anime didn't ask for it. If there is one show everyone should see, Samurai Flamenco is it.

Kill la Kill END

Great ending (though a bit predictable) to a great show. It did suffer from a slow start, the first half is definitely less interesting as a whole (it does have it's moments however). It's also odd that the support cast was more interesting than the main character, to me at least.

Golden Time END

All the
good
feels man, all of them! I've gone through the entire emotions spectrum with this show, proof that I cared for it's characters. All of them too, which is rare enough to mention. Hell, even freaking
Ghost Banri turned out allright
in the end!

Just finished the Great Teacher Onizuka anime and manga run. I have tears in my eyes. Fucking masterpiece. I don't think a slice of life has made me feel this much before. I'll be writing a proper tribute to Onizuka sensei later. Just need to stop the tears and calm down

We've known it would be continuous for a bit now (the new ClariS song announced to be released in April, and then the BD/DVD solicitations a week ago confirming the 20 episode count).

I guess it was something I was wasn't paying too much attention to. :p

The last I remember was knowing it was 2 cours, just not if SHAFT will be double teaming in the Spring or if it'll be their Summer show.

Mr.Jeff

Tomorrow I need to do a write-up about Great Teacher Onizuka. I haven't outright obsessed over a franchise as much as this one in a while. Everything as been amazing. Jesus Christ.
If you liked the anime be sure to check out the manga as well. The anime got fobbed off with an unfortunate anime original ending as is often the case.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just finished the Great Teacher Onizuka anime and manga run. I have tears in my eyes. Fucking masterpiece. I don't think a slice of life has made me feel this much before. I'll be writing a proper tribute to Onizuka sensei later. Just need to stop the tears and calm down
Haha, glad you liked it.

Articalys

I guess it was something I was wasn't paying too much attention to. :p

The last I remember was knowing it was 2 cours, just not if SHAFT will be double teaming in the Spring or if it'll be their Summer show.
To be fair, it was kind of up in the air until the ClariS song details late last month, and actually the final confirmation came from a news bit in Jump stating outright it would be 20 episodes and end in May.

CorvoSol

Yeah, Onizuka is a great show. Got a lot of heart. There's no chivalrous pervert in anime who can get on Onizuka's level.

I think one of my favorite scenes from the show is when he sits down at the park to play dolls with Tomo. It's just such a completely heart-warming moment for me.

Articalys

Wait, did you just watch the GTO anime and read the whole manga in two days?

Right from the title of the episode you knew it was going to be amazing. I mean, only in Samurai Flamenco does the hero interpret
you need to use love as a weapon!
to mean
you need to get naked and make love to people. That is how you save the world. Get naked right now. Have sex. Right now. Do it.

Truly the most Menco means of interpreting that ever.

I could have sworn I'd read a manga before that uses this plot.

Having sex to save the world seems common in hentai.

If you liked the anime be sure to check out the manga as well. The anime got fobbed off with an unfortunate anime original ending as is often the case.

Yeah I read somewhere about the anime original ending, so I didnt watch the last two episodes and just went to the closest spot in the manga that continued the story.

Haha, glad you liked it.

Thanks for the recommendation man. I had been planning to watch it, but the reminder was the final push and hoo doggie that was an emotional rollercoaster of laughs and tears.

Yeah, Onizuka is a great show. Got a lot of heart. There's no chivalrous pervert in anime who can get on Onizuka's level.

I think one of my favorite scenes from the show is when he sits down at the park to play dolls with Tomo. It's just such a completely heart-warming moment for me.

I love that scene. But I basically loved the whole show/manga in general. I mean I'm sure the premise of 'good heart character changes a group' has been done before, but I don't think it can compare to this. Where they have that premise, and it's amazing, but also the humor. Who voiced Onizuka in the anime? I swear I've heard that voice before.

Wait, did you just watch the GTO anime and read the whole manga in two days?
Like MikeHatssu pointed out, I obsessed over it. When I wasn't playing Infamous I was watching/reading this. No other show took priority. Plus spring break and this last weekend I was sociable as fuck, being an introvert at heart I needed to recharge. No better way than staying in my room watching animu.

edit: to clarify I didn't read the whole manga. Just the correct volume where to begin with (I believe after the summer field trip) to continue the story. Which means I still read like 100 chapters or so yes.

#smokeweedeveryday #yolo

QQ, is the witch craft works ending different to the manga?

The manga is nowhere near finished. In fact the anime ended only a few chapters behind the manga. This'll suffer from Attack on Titan syndrome where if people ever want a new season they'll have to wait like a year or two from the point the anime ended.

nawz

Banned
The manga is nowhere near finished. In fact the anime ended only a few chapters behind the manga. This'll suffer from Attack on Titan syndrome where if people ever want a new season they'll have to wait like a year or two from the point the anime ended.

Ah right, I thought I read that the ending to this season was a tad different to the manga. Thanks for clarifying.

Samurai Flamenco 22
Well that was an ending.
The beginning was a bit drawn out and kind of unnecessary. And then Hazama went silly and got naked and proposed to Goto. First, gay pairing that I didn't feel was too awkward. Surprised that they continued the messages from Goto's girlfriend but didn't show her existing.

Nordicus

Golden Time 21-23

GOD DAMNIT KOKO!

Golden Time 24

That was actually a rather fun ending. STILL PISSED!

And it isn't even the Ghost Banri or amnesia shenanigans that occurred that's pissing me off. They cause drama, sure, but in ways that I expected.

Okay, you guys remember many episodes ago when Koko spent all that time in her room after the car accident and how Banri had to fight tooth&nail to get her perk up again? Remember all that stuff Koko said about feeling insecure and being afraid that Banri would leave her behind?

Did she forget the "Stay in the car Koko!" moment this easily??? I was so certain that that moment would eventually lead into Koko making Banri remember her, even if by force, that she wouldn't let herself be left behind so easily. I was so certain that she'd return the favor from that day!

Koko didn't "stay in the car". She waited on road until a taxi came a long and picked her up. Lucky for her, in this case, the taxi driver was the Bro To End All Bros, 2D-kun, who then breaks the speedlimit multiple times over and then rams to the side of Banri's car.

GRRRR

Samurai Flamenco 22 -END

Ahahahahahah. They went there. They actually went there.

I couldn't believe what I was watching the moment Hazama stripped and grabbed Sawada. Like seriously. I knew this show was :DTL, but not to THAT degree! Yeesh, all Hazama needs to do now to fully seal the :DTL deal is to propose to Goto-OH HE DID THAT TOO! AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

So, happy end all around.

What a fun ride this has been. I'm so glad that I watched this. This is one of the best parodies I've ever seen. This show manages to be funny without trying to be. The show just does it's own thing, and wants us to laugh at it. It knows what its trying to be and goes all the way.

This is the real AOTY right here.

CorvoSol

Samurai Flamenco 22
Well that was an ending.
The beginning was a bit drawn out and kind of unnecessary. And then Hazama went silly and got naked and proposed to Goto. First, gay pairing that I didn't feel was too awkward. Surprised that they continued the messages from Goto's girlfriend but didn't show her existing.

The best part for me was that after that huge tease they
decide to go back on it and show the cellphone as the winning girl at the end. At the very last second. Just to screw with anyone who had invested in that emotionally.

The best part for me was that after that huge tease they
decide to go back on it and show the cellphone as the winning girl at the end. At the very last second. Just to screw with anyone who had invested in that emotionally.

Didn't mention this, but that was one of the
most hilarious trolls I've ever seen in an anime. They make you think he got over his girlfriend's death (I assume Goto was the one who sent that "journey" message), but they're all like "NOPE. I'm still going at it! Right at the last second. LOL.

No-Rin - 12

peMmrQq.gif

What's up with this week and Sailor Moon parodies?

In the end No-rin was pretty good. I wouldn't mind a second season if Kousaka hadn't jinxed it.

jgminto

Do they tell the same story as the series? Cause I wouldn't mind watching both if they don't.
The first season is a completely different story. The OVAs are the same part as the second season, but only a handful of moments. They're a pretty nice visual treat but it's a poor way to experience Stardust Crusaders for the first time so I'd say watch them after the hopefully more faithful and complete adaption this season.

CorvoSol

Didn't mention this, but that was one of the
most hilarious trolls I've ever seen in an anime. They make you think he got over his girlfriend's death (I assume Goto was the one who sent that "journey" message), but they're all like "NOPE. I'm still going at it! Right at the last second. LOL.

It's like
"Oh, did you think we were going to end this by having Gotoh not be crazy and have Masayoshi and Gotoh in love? FUCK YOU THIS IS MENCO."

Bombless

It's like
"Oh, did you think we were going to end this by having Gotoh not be crazy and have Masayoshi and Gotoh in love? FUCK YOU THIS IS MENCO."

I also like the fact they did not explain
Masayoshi's parents' murder, or Gotoh's girl dissapearance
. That and the return of the
crotch kicking DING

This upcoming season has a couple of shows that might end up winning my heart. Well, besides Jojo goodness. I feel like I'm the only one here who one of the most anticipated shows of the seasons is that 50 First Dates: The High School animu.

So in Infamous Second Son there's a semi-DLC side mission called Paper Trails. In this you combine your computer skills and the game to solve a mystery. So far they've only released I believe 1 or 2 of the parts. But that's not why I mention it.

In this side mission, the main character involved is a japanese school girl, in a japanese school girl outfit, with a bunny mask made out of paper who travels around by transforming into origami doves and wants you to follow her. To notice her.

btEEgcc.jpg

All she wants is for Delsin-senpai to notice her.

fvaskcY.png

But Delsin-senpai is too busy to notice her.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Noragami 7-12 END

Fairly solid. As mentioned by others, most of what you find in this show is done in other shows, but it's not put together quite as well elsewhere unless you're talking about something like Mushishi.

As for characters and their relationships, I don't agree that Noragami has the advantage here. How the characters related and the character humor in Noragami is still full of anime tropes so it’s not going to win points there (something even Samurai Flamenco of all shows manages time to time). Over the course of the show they became better friends but I don’t think the characters themselves really changed or improved that much. Nothing about the characters really struck me as strong or that their interplay was especially good. Yato was cool enough but he was pretty much the same dude he was in episode 1 as he was in episode 12. I quite like Hiyori for her spunk and proactive attitude but I never felt I learned much more about her as the show went on nor did I felt like I grew to like her more. My opinion of her stayed decently high but it never changed. Similarly, I thought Yukine was SHIT from day one and he only grew shittier as the show went. "HERP DERP I HAVE NO FRIENDS!" FUCK OFF kid you’re a dumbshit and after the show HAMMERED IN that stupid point for like a zillion episodes, episode 9 wasn't nearly enough to redeem him – he merely went from total shitface to just merely tolerable/ignorable/somewhat less shitty. Stay shitty, shitface. In fact the show would have been better if he never existed – given how the first episode was set up I assumed Hiyori would become Yato’s Regalia. The two of them were enough for the show, no need to shit it up with Yukine.
First, characterization doesn't need to occur in chronological order. You can have a character who then turns out to be more than he appears, and development then revolves around how he continues to overcome a past or adopt yet another change in his life. Second, in order to have drama you need flawed characters. It's like the fundamental different between Star Trek TNG and Star Trek DS9. Everyone was smiles and happy times much of the time in TNG, and so the show had to feed off more of the episodic scifi stories. In DS9 you had characters that actually produced conflict with each other. As for Yukine, he was a lost teenager who didn't truly understand his own situation and acted the part fairly well. You might not find this cool, heroic, clever, or upstanding, but you should at least be able to empathize with his position. At first he thinks of ways to use his condition to a material advantage as he doesn't like being without money, doesn't like wearing hand-me-downs, and doesn't like being forced around. He also doesn't consider the impact his own actions have on others. Again, like a teenager. Eventually he comes to understand that none of that actually matters anymore and comes to accept what he is now.

That's growth.

cnet128

Banned
This upcoming season has a couple of shows that might end up winning my heart. Well, besides Jojo goodness. I feel like I'm the only one here who one of the most anticipated shows of the seasons is that 50 First Dates: The High School animu.

You're not alone, Isshuukan Friends is one of the shows I'm really looking forward to as well.

nawz

Banned
Can anyone recommend a show like Kimi ni todoke but where the people get together(ish).

Quite enjoyed that and Nisekoi.

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco 22 END

The beginning of this episode was actually pretty dark. Then Samurai Flamenco happened.
giphyoekjr.gif

Oh man,
Masayoshi stripping and jumping on Haiji and then PROPOSING TO GOTO. I know this is the yaoi shipping show, but I did not expect it to go that far! And it was amazing!

And then they finished it all off with a ridiculous troll. "Oh you thought Goto was over his girlfriend? WELL SCREW YOU."

I don't know what to say about this show. From it's humble beginnings it managed to constantly surprise, be completely hilarious, strangely engaging, and stick to its themes the whole time. Shame the production values were so low. I legitimately didn't expect to enjoy this show as much as I did, but here we are!

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 17

So here, I think, is a good episode that really exemplifies the split feelings I have on Zeta Gundam. As a way of reference, this is the first Hong Kong episode in which we meet Four Murasame and the Psycho Gundam.

On the one hand, everything related to what's actually going on in this episode is fairly good. Kamille is coming into his own both as a man and as a Newtype. This arc is where he really grows up, so to speak. Four is technically the third of the long list of women who are tragic mecha prodigies in Gundam (being preceded by Rosammia and Lalah), but while she is not the inventor she is certainly the codifier of the archetype in Gundam. And it's not hard to see why. For a female antagonist she's acceptably written, and the fact that her brain is all scrambled is a decent cover up for Tomino's inability to keep characters consistent between episodes and arcs.

Furthermore, Amuro's reunion with Mirai is fairly touching, actually. Honestly one of the biggest disappointments of Zeta Gundam is that Amuro doesn't stick around when he should have. Because seeing the cast of MSG interact is actually a pretty good point in Zeta. There's this sort of unspoken sweetness at Amuro's reunion with Mirai, and their dialogue actually reflects two dear friends who haven't seen one another in years trying to catch up. It's surprisingly human for Tomino.

Likewise, at this point in UC history the whole "grabbity is eeeeebul" shit hasn't come into full swing yet. The AEUG doesn't want to abandon Earth because it's irrelevant. They want to evacuate the Earth because they love it and that whole OYW thing really did a number on it. Earth isn't a prison that weighs down souls. It's the birthplace of humankind and humankind's souls, and protecting it is a precious goal of the AEUG. It's an infinitely more moderate and more believable view that is completely at odds with that height of absurdity they call CCA.

So what's the problem with Zeta, then?

Well, for one, the character of Beltorchika Irma is horrible. That's not as much of a surprise anymore, I know, since Tomino women usually are, but Beltorchika's problems extend far beyond the problems of your average Tomino woman. She isn't JUST trying to fuck a man and willing to sacrifice all her morals for that like say, Reccoa. She crosses some seriously weird lines in this episode. First she goes to Kamille and is like "You should give Amuro the Gundam because he's Amuro Ray and Amuro Ray and Gundams go together." Which is a bitchy thing to say to Kamille, who kinda sorta lost his parents in the wackiness that gave him this Gundam, more than earning his right to it. I suppose you could say that the point here is specifically to rebuke fans like me, who think Amuro should've returned to the action, except that everything after this makes no sense. She's like "I'm trying to save Amuro! Do you hate Amuro?" and Kamille's like "Hold the phone. Your pity is gonna get him killed." But Beltorchika persists, like she's right or something.

If that scene wasn't enough, she later winds up with Mirai and spends the whole scene judging Mirai and spitting in her face because she's not currently physically with Bright. Tomino makes Beltorchika say shit like "That sounds like the excuse of a parent!" when Mirai is pointing out that while Bright is away because of work, his presence is something she strives to make felt to her children. A part of me cannot help but figure that Tomino had a TERRIBLE childhood since he makes a point of fucking up Hathaway later on. But I mean, what was Mirai supposed to do? What was Bright supposed to do? The Earth Federation kept them apart. You know, that hilariously powerful government that essentially rules all humanity from Earth to Jupiter and back again? The Earth Federation moved Bright into space and held his wife on Earth. And now Mirai and Bright are making efforts to reunite but that's not exactly EASY. But noooo time to judge 'em I guess.

So really, I guess what I'm saying is that my problem with Zeta isn't so much conceptual as it is with some very horrible characters. When it isn't Beltorchika and disappointing Amuro, it's Katz, Reccoa, and occasionally disappointing Char. My hatred of UC concepts I think stems more from CCA, which poisoned and tainted UC forever, but Zeta is mostly just weighed down by several really, truly awful characters who make it hard to remember the good characters and good plotlines.

This could be another one of those "Corvo is fixated on inconsequential shit" moments, except that so much attention and time is devoted to bad characters who do not improve that it's hard to really overlook them.

You're not alone, Isshuukan Friends is one of the shows I'm really looking forward to as well.
:')
4tWAQaG.gif

Can anyone recommend a show like Kimi ni todoke but where the people get together(ish).

Quite enjoyed that and Nisekoi.

Kimi ni Todoke has cute faces and reaction shots. Off the top of my head in no particular order:

Kaichou Wa Maid Sama
Kare Kano*
Lovely Complex*
Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun
Sukitte Ii Na Yo
Aishiteruze Baby* **
Nodame Cantabile*
Toradora*
Toshokan Sensou+ movie*
Kokoro Connect* ***
Nazo No Kanojo X*
Acchi Kochi*
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia*
Karin (manga)*

* Highly recommended
** While romance is not main focus at first, it becomes very big later on and it ended up becoming one of the better romances I've seen in a story.
*** Kokoro Connect has a lot of drama but best girl wins, so it's forgivable.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Samurai Flamenco: END

Jesus fuck what an underwhelming ending. This show peaked with Alien Flamenco.

But at least we have something to celebrate: HAHAHAHAHA FUCK YOU MARI YOU DIDNT WIN.

Samurai Flamenco during Alien Flamenco arc: 9/10

Samurai Flamenco post Alien Flamenco arc: 7.5/10

Over-all: 8.25/10

Well, I guess Mari won in the sense that she hooked up with the other MMM members it looks like.

Tenumi

Banned
Pretty Cure Splash Star: (END)

It's actually been kind of fun going through this series backwards. It's shown when plotlines have been recycled and ideas reused. But knowing all that, Splash Star feels... different.

Having two Precure
for 48/49ths of the show
was definitely a different feel, and even though I know that the original does it, needing both together to transform is a good touch for drama purposes. What really stuck out for me, however, was
Michiru and Kaoru. Having two characters around the same age as the Precure opposing them was genius. Unwillingness to attack them once they began to befriend them was great drama, and their sacrifice and subsequent revival near the end combined with their turn to aiding the Precure helped round out and complete the plot.
I'd almost say that twists and turns were what made Splash Star good, but truthfully, it was just good, consistent quality that did that.

Frankly, I've been watching the Precure series since September of 2012. I'm burnt out of watching it as part of my backlog. So for now, I'm giving it a good long break, a season at least, before I pick back up where the series began.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom