• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wake Up, Girls! 12 + Final Thoughts (Movie Included)

I know Yamakan has been known for his grandiose statements, and combining idols and the earthquake into a series isn't the first combination anybody would think of. I realized just how serious he was about this when the final WUG episode dropped a direct reference to 9/11. I was invested in the stories of these girls, and then I get that. Not out of nowhere, but it wasn't foreseen.

It's a unique idol series, and while it can't overtake the greats, I'll call it an admirable effort.
I'd want to know how they use 9/11 in an anime.

I still think the show sounds interesting given the idol craze at the moment, but I also have no real desire to watch it. Anime is saved?

nawz

Banned
:')
4tWAQaG.gif

Kimi ni Todoke has cute faces and reaction shots. Off the top of my head in no particular order:

Kaichou Wa Maid Sama
Kare Kano*
Lovely Complex*
Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun
Sukitte Ii Na Yo
Aishiteruze Baby* **
Nodame Cantabile*
Toradora*
Toshokan Sensou+ movie*
Kokoro Connect* ***
Nazo No Kanojo X*
Acchi Kochi*
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia*
Karin (manga)*

* Highly recommended
** While romance is not main focus at first, it becomes very big later on and it ended up becoming one of the better romances I've seen in a story.
*** Kokoro Connect has a lot of drama but best girl wins, so it's forgivable.

Thank you!

cajunator

Banned
For some reason I really feel like starting Oreimo as soon as possible. I guess I'll get to it this weekend along with Season 1 of JoJo to get ready for the WORLD

Watch season one. Season two never happened.

We can all agree that SamFlam belongs on The List in the best way, right?

It probably does but the list is pretty full already. Maybe an optional addendum.

No-Rin - 12

peMmrQq.gif

What's up with this week and Sailor Moon parodies?

In the end No-rin was pretty good. I wouldn't mind a second season if Kousaka hadn't jinxed it.

Thats a really well done parody. any larger version of that?

:')
4tWAQaG.gif

Kimi ni Todoke has cute faces and reaction shots. Off the top of my head in no particular order:

Kaichou Wa Maid Sama
Kare Kano*
Lovely Complex*
Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun
Sukitte Ii Na Yo
Aishiteruze Baby* **
Nodame Cantabile*
Toradora*
Toshokan Sensou+ movie*
Kokoro Connect* ***
Nazo No Kanojo X*
Acchi Kochi*
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia*
Karin (manga)*

* Highly recommended
** While romance is not main focus at first, it becomes very big later on and it ended up becoming one of the better romances I've seen in a story.

Ai Yori aoshi cause nobody besides Aoi has a legitimate chance to begin with.

Articalys

*does quick count of prelim Spring watchlist*

So that's five shows I'll watch all the way through for sure, plus fifteen others that I'll probably try at least one episode, with 5-6 of those as the first potential drops.

Too much anime.

So in Infamous Second Son there's a semi-DLC side mission called Paper Trails. In this you combine your computer skills and the game to solve a mystery. So far they've only released I believe 1 or 2 of the parts. But that's not why I mention it.

In this side mission, the main character involved is a japanese school girl, in a japanese school girl outfit, with a bunny mask made out of paper who travels around by transforming into origami doves and wants you to follow her. To notice her.

btEEgcc.jpg

All she wants is for Delsin-senpai to notice her.

fvaskcY.png

But Delsin-senpai is too busy to notice her.
All i thought when playing paper trail is how i could be like yomiko readman and that i can't help but expect paper dlc powers at some point ...

Pretty Cure Splash Star: (END)

It's actually been kind of fun going through this series backwards. It's shown when plotlines have been recycled and ideas reused. But knowing all that, Splash Star feels... different.

Having two Precure
for 48/49ths of the show
was definitely a different feel, and even though I know that the original does it, needing both together to transform is a good touch for drama purposes. What really stuck out for me, however, was
Michiru and Kaoru. Having two characters around the same age as the Precure opposing them was genius. Unwillingness to attack them once they began to befriend them was great drama, and their sacrifice and subsequent revival near the end combined with their turn to aiding the Precure helped round out and complete the plot.
I'd almost say that twists and turns were what made Splash Star good, but truthfully, it was just good, consistent quality that did that.

Frankly, I've been watching the Precure series since September of 2012. I'm burnt out of watching it as part of my backlog. So for now, I'm giving it a good long break, a season at least, before I pick back up where the series began.

Well i'm saying that splash star is one of the best season precure had.The drama was not overdone and the ending quite satisfactory.
Also the last spur of episodes were masterfully animated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Silver Spork end
iOluxeil.jpg

Heh. I still think self-aware metatextual commentators are bullshit though.

CoSdn2Hl.png

I suppose if you were going to sum up the show in a final scene, there isn't a better way to do it.

I don't really have much to say. Almost like Space Brothers, it feels like they just needed to end the show at some place and chose a decent stopping point for the story to end by returning to his family. And, for the most part, I find the show interesting to watch when it's about him struggling with finding his place in the world. I think I'm just at a point where I'd be more interested in a different perspective, since this type of protagonist inevitably has the same arc. It's just compounded by the fact that he's essentially not willing or able to communicate with anyone in his life in order to solve his problems, even when he's told to do so by all the various people in his life. Heck, even his brother comes off as a more interesting character because he's a man who was able to just decide and make his own way in the world, as strange as it might be.

It feels strange to be positive yet ambivalent about a lot of shows this season. It'd really be weird if a straight up comedy ended up being my favourite show of the season anyway.

Mature

a Read Or Die game should have been made.
Would have been so epic. Why in the hell has that not gotten a revival? It was one of the best things ever.

On an unrelated note, I took a picture of my rooms new Moe defense force
Because Hideyuki Kurata was too busy writing Samurai Flamenco. But now...

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kill la Kill 24 END

That was a pretty good end to a fairly average show. The action was never satisfying and Ryuko was a fairly bland protagonist, though I didn't hate her, but the sidecast kept the show enjoyable for the most part. My expectations were definitely too high for Trigger's first TV outing, though I doubt they would have met my lowest animation expectations. If they want to make the credit sequence from the final episode into a second season I would probably enjoy that more than this one, it would remove most of my problems with it. I also don't appreciate these ridiculous hintings that Ryuko x Mako could be a thing. Everyone knows that Mako x Gamagoori is OTP.

Also it turns out everyone was a barbie doll, a shocking twist that nobody saw coming.

Ryuko x Mako OTP! Deal with it. :p

CorvoSol

Ryuko x Mako OTP! Deal with it. :p

Ryuko x Mako got more consummation than SAMFLAM
Masayoshi x Gotoh
, but we all know Mako x Gamagoori is a thing.

The real surprise is that both shows did not end with
a character hooking up with an inanimate object. Just SamFlam.

Macross 7

Max and Milia hate each other.
The villains in this show are basically Macross II's villain levels of incomprehensible nonsense bullshit.
Can only watch Basara fuck up a battle and pitch a fit after nobody listens to his dumb song about dancing planets so many times.

So when does Macross get good again?

a Read Or Die game should have been made.
Would have been so epic. Why in the hell has that not gotten a revival? It was one of the best things ever.

On an unrelated note, I took a picture of my rooms new Moe defense force

There was a pretty good arcade action game, fan made but still very fun and impressive.
Ele paper action

i spent 2 weeks playing the hell of this.
Ps: the real game is faster than in the video.

SDBurton

Ryuko x Mako got more consummation than SAMFLAM
Masayoshi x Gotoh
, but we all know Mako x Gamagoori is a thing.

The real surprise is that both shows did not end with
a character hooking up with an inanimate object. Just SamFlam.

Pfffft! At least there's always Ryuko x Satsuki to fall back on. Though in a perfect world it would be Mako x Ryuko and Satsuki x Nonon.

Not really. 24 episode series have been around a long itme. I have two in my collection from early 2000s that I can think of right away. Stellvia and Kiddy Grade. I know this because companies used to package them weird. For 26 episode series there were usually 7 volume DVDs. For 24 episode ones there were 8!! So more volumes for less episodes. companies used to get away with so much stuff (and I was enabling them to cause I needed my fix)

Yeah, there's always been weird episode counts, I've just been noticing tons of them on CR, as I'm actually watching more stuff now xD

Thanks buddy <3

CorvoSol

Pfffft! At least there's always Ryuko x Satsuki to fall back on. Though in a perfect world it would be Mako x Ryuko and Satsuki x Nonon.

1. No, Burton, I don't like Lesbincest, thank you very much.

2. Nonon has Cindy's voice from Arjuna. Even if she's a band geek I can never love her knowing that, nor wish her any sort of happiness.

Now if you'll excuse me, I will return to crying that Ryuuko x Senketsu sunk.

SDBurton

1. No, Burton, I don't like Lesbincest, thank you very much.

2. Nonon has Cindy's voice from Arjuna. Even if she's a band geek I can never love her knowing that, nor wish her any sort of happiness.

Now if you'll excuse me, I will return to crying that Ryuuko x Senketsu sunk.

1.) Ryuko and Satsuki have that chemistry though! Come on!

2.) How dare you!

Lolololol RIP Senketsu

CorvoSol

1.) Ryuko and Satsuki have that chemistry though! Come on!

2.) How dare you!

Lolololol RIP Senketsu

Look man. I saw Yami. Sister on sister action is not a thing I want to see.

She talks and all I hear is "why does it feel so good?"

RIP IN PIECES SENKETSU. IF YOU'D BEEN MADE OF GUNDANIUM THIS WOULDA NEVER HAPPED

OceanBlue

This upcoming season has a couple of shows that might end up winning my heart. Well, besides Jojo goodness. I feel like I'm the only one here who one of the most anticipated shows of the seasons is that 50 First Dates: The High School animu.

I'm looking forward to it too. I love the premise, and hopefully the execution turns out well!

Silver Spoon S2 11

Amazing finale to an amazing season. We saw how far Hachiken has grown through 2 season and we still see that he has a ways to go but the ride will be worth it. Hope we get a season 3 next year.

Sam Flam Thank You Ma'am 22

I was dying when
Naked Flamenco was proposing to Goto
. Actually a strangely fitting finale to a series as crazy as this. Managed to bring things back around full circle and Haiji was actually a great final villain for Masayoshi.

This was definitely one of the strongest season noitaminA has had in a while.

Midonin

Tears to Tiara 24-26 + Final Thoughts

These completionist tendencies can overtake my backlog at times, but I find that there's always more out there that I didn't know of. T3 was overall above average, solid, with nothing out of place. It's not going to be standout, but as far as takes on the legends of King Arthur go, this one was entertaining. The choice of protagonist was actually one of the more interesting twists. Riannon spent the entire series worshipping the Morning Star, Lucifer, Arawann, and, in Christian texts, Satan. This was a series about Satan falling from heaven, and that being a good thing for the world.

That's not something that I haven't seen very often in Western literature (though a few examples come to mind), and that concept rises it up a few notches for me. I stand by my statement of Morgan and Octavia being the best. Sisters for life, and enough to tick my yuri goggles, though not very much. Arthur did come across as a little too headstrong at the start, but the story was about his maturation to earn the title of King, so I can accept it. It felt like Llyr never did a whole lot during the story, but the rest of the cast all felt used, even if there were some odd twists like
Taliesin being saved by the dragons.
Nothing that destroys the core of the series, it was hardly bad.

Solid, enjoyable, and it has some concepts behind it that I can say "That was a neat idea." Which I say about most anime, but that's why I'm posting in this thread in the first place.

The backlog continues.

cnet128

Banned
Oh god, so like, as I think I mentioned earlier today, thanks to my massive animewatching fail yesterday I have eight season finales to watch this evening (yep, count 'em, eight, though admittedly one of them is Pupa so really that's more like 7.1). And so I was all like "imma start watching at 8PM to make sure I have plenty of time to get through them all and maybe even watch some Mushishi too".

Fast forward through a whole lot of distractions to now (thanks again, Project Diva F 2nd), and it's past midnight and I still haven't started watching yet. Why do I do this to myself.

Ah well, better late than never. *gets watching SamFlam*

Kaichou Wa Maid Sama
Kare Kano*
Lovely Complex*
Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun
Sukitte Ii Na Yo
Aishiteruze Baby* **
Nodame Cantabile*
Toradora*
Toshokan Sensou+ movie*
Kokoro Connect* ***
Nazo No Kanojo X*
Acchi Kochi*
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia*
Karin (manga)*

* Highly recommended

lol, you didn't feel the need to include a caveat about Nazo no Kanojo X's, er, trademark fetish? =p

Not that I can argue with trying to get people to watch that series instead of scaring them off.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The CGI characters in this children's battle cards anime look much better than 009's!

That or the animation is so stiff I've assumed it's CGI.

Quasar

Silver Spoon S2 11

Amazing finale to an amazing season. We saw how far Hachiken has grown through 2 season and we still see that he has a ways to go but the ride will be worth it. Hope we get a season 3 next year.

I wonder. Trying to work out where to start reading the manga I found that the anime finale is in chapter 75, and according to baka-updates the last chapter (translated at least) is 96. So it might be a while before there is enough material for more show.

Btoom End

So-Good-James-Franco-In-Spider-Man-3.gif

This anime was pretty great, the thing that I liked was the way it conveyed that you can't trust nobody even if they look innocent. The concept of people stranded in the middle of nowhere playing a game with bombs that are deadly makes the story intense and it did have few good character development in it. Ryouta and Himiko the main characters were great with Himiko's character developing and especially Ryouta who was actually a great MC who wasn't shitty unlike a few I can name (Kirito SAO). The romance was also good as it wasn't forced with Ryouta and Himiko and I also have to shout for Ryouta again as this dude is really great especially at the end when very few men can resist that kind of temptation, he has a strong will. The only problem I had was the cliffhanger at the end especially when it was leaving off some loose ends, I hope for a second season and know it won't suck like SAO but it'll probably won't happen which kills me damn it.

CorvoSol

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 13

DUDE.

DUDE

DUDEDUDEDUDE

We just had a finale that leveled a goddamn city.

And I'm not even half way through the show yet!

sogoodsogoodsogoodsogoooooooooood

lol, you didn't feel the need to include a caveat about Nazo no Kanojo X's, er, trademark fetish? =p

Not that I can argue with trying to get people to watch that series instead of scaring them off.

I forgot to mention it in the asterisks. Either ways, besides that weird/kinda gross fetish, it's a sweet story.

cajunator

Banned
There was a pretty good arcade action game, fan made but still very fun and impressive.
Ele paper action

i spent 2 weeks playing the hell of this.
Ps: the real game is faster than in the video.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee! *hugglesqueaks

Yeah, there's always been weird episode counts, I've just been noticing tons of them on CR, as I'm actually watching more stuff now xD

Thanks buddy <3

anytime :)

We need a 'shows CR doesn't pickup' bingo game.

Hyouka..uhm..Neptunia...Unbreakable machine dolls..

They finally dubbed two more cfvanguard episodes!

Future Card Buddyfight! Episode 13: Powers Unite! Dragonic Punisher! (engDub)
tumblr_n368ivR3xF1qbxqfpo2_500.png
tumblr_n368ivR3xF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Aibo cup is going good in terms of duel results I love this Tatsuyo fight
sure he lost as he was my second favorite pick to win it, but at least theres Noboru next episode. No way he will lose

The other world stuff was interesting. Hope they kind of dont go too far into it, though it is good to keep giving Tasuku the tragic backstory for a card game.

Tatsuyo's lines, best: boom chicka wow wow yo yo, asmodai is legit youll see its true, one sec hes there, hey whats he up too

Tears to Tiara 24-26 + Final Thoughts

These completionist tendencies can overtake my backlog at times, but I find that there's always more out there that I didn't know of. T3 was overall above average, solid, with nothing out of place. It's not going to be standout, but as far as takes on the legends of King Arthur go, this one was entertaining. The choice of protagonist was actually one of the more interesting twists. Riannon spent the entire series worshipping the Morning Star, Lucifer, Arawann, and, in Christian texts, Satan. This was a series about Satan falling from heaven, and that being a good thing for the world.

That's not something that I haven't seen very often in Western literature (though a few examples come to mind), and that concept rises it up a few notches for me. I stand by my statement of Morgan and Octavia being the best. Sisters for life, and enough to tick my yuri goggles, though not very much. Arthur did come across as a little too headstrong at the start, but the story was about his maturation to earn the title of King, so I can accept it. It felt like Llyr never did a whole lot during the story, but the rest of the cast all felt used, even if there were some odd twists like
Taliesin being saved by the dragons.
Nothing that destroys the core of the series, it was hardly bad.

Solid, enjoyable, and it has some concepts behind it that I can say "That was a neat idea." Which I say about most anime, but that's why I'm posting in this thread in the first place.

The backlog continues.
Morgan + octavia is the best combo indeed , they aren't best characters but they are the best when together.
Anime wasn't a bad adaptation, in fact they did a pretty good job with it. the ps3 game is the best version of the game no doubt.

Narag

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 13

DUDE.

DUDE

DUDEDUDEDUDE

We just had a finale that leveled a goddamn city.

And I'm not even half way through the show yet!

sogoodsogoodsogoodsogoooooooooood

First OVA takes place between this arc and the next if you're curious. It's friggin' awesome but not so sure it'd fit well in a fresh tv viewing.

CorvoSol

First OVA takes place between this arc and the next if you're curious. It's friggin' awesome but not so sure it'd fit well in a fresh tv viewing.

Yeah for now I'm just gonna watch the series and then I'll think about going back to see the OVAs.

Taruranto

I stopped watch Samumenco long ago, but I'm so glad I kept reading people comments around the internet.

Btoom End

So-Good-James-Franco-In-Spider-Man-3.gif

This anime was pretty great, the thing that I liked was the way it conveyed that you can't trust nobody even if they look innocent. The concept of people stranded in the middle of nowhere playing a game with bombs that are deadly makes the story intense and it did have few good character development in it. Ryouta and Himiko the main characters were great with Himiko's character developing and especially Ryouta who was actually a great MC who wasn't shitty unlike a few I can name (Kirito SAO). The romance was also good as it wasn't forced with Ryouta and Himiko and I also have to shout for Ryouta again as this dude is really great especially at the end when very few men can resist that kind of temptation, he has a strong will. The only problem I had was the cliffhanger at the end especially when it was leaving off some loose ends, I hope for a second season and know it won't suck like SAO but it'll probably won't happen which kills me damn it.

Wasn't this the anime with the girl who bounced grenades with her tits?

Narag

Kill La Kill 24

This was so bad it somehow retroactively made me feel I wasted time on the previous 23 episodes. Not even Fujiko Mine managed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom