• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

First OVA takes place between this arc and the next if you're curious. It's friggin' awesome but not so sure it'd fit well in a fresh tv viewing.
That OVA features characters and references situations that won't be introduced till at least the late second arc.

Articalys

Sakura Trick ep.12

SDBurton's probably gonna kill me for this, but
for me this episode made me decide that Haruka and Yuu are just elements in the show for the yuri pandering, while everyone else actually has some sort of characterization... if that makes any sense.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, I guess...

Anyway, fluff ending to a fluff show. Next season on the yuri watch we have Akuma no Riddle for action and Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san for comedy.

cnet128

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 22 END

That was perfect. This whole show was perfect, and I can't imagine any better way it could have ended.

I recall reading some people's impressions claiming that the Flamenco Alien arc was the peak of the show and it should have ended there, but honestly I couldn't disagree more. Certainly the alien arc was the peak of the show's wild spiral of escalation, but I don't think escalation was really what this show was about, or what it was best at. The escalation and crossing of genre boundaries worked as a way of bringing surprise after surprise and keeping the series crazy, but the crazy wasn't there to fuel the escalation, the escalation was there to fuel the crazy and thus make sure the series felt constantly fresh.

I honestly think stopping at the peak of that escalation would have been the worst thing the show could have done, because it would have meant the show ended at the point it had become furthest removed from the grounded characterisation and the characters' actual lives - which are the core of this series just as much as the craziness is. Some godlike being essentially hitting the reset button after a bizarre piece of exposition would not have been a satisfying ending, it would have been the bad kind of asspull and it would have left us wanting more. That scene worked specifically because it wasn't the end of the series - because it both provided a fabulous wut moment in itself and also left us once more with no idea what to expect next.

And so it set the stage for this final arc, which I feel was one of the strongest the series has had. But perhaps more importantly than how subjectively enjoyable the final arc was, it was the perfect way to tie the series up thematically. It allowed us to once again focus on the characters' day-to-day lives, laying the groundwork that a solid ending needs by showing how these characters are going to carry on after everything has happened. It allowed for plenty of callbacks to the show's beginnings, so that everything could come full circle. It allowed for the characters themselves to take centre stage and their arcs to be fully resolved (especially Gotou, who had been repeatedly sidelined whenever the show got too crazy for him to really be a part of). By positioning it right after an arc where the stakes were cosmic, it managed to make the mundane feel fresh and unusual once more, while also feeling comfortingly familiar.

And perhaps most important of all, it allowed Hazama to face his greatest human enemy and in the process finally confront the series' central question of what it means to be a hero. Which the show answered by bringing the craziness on a very personal level, hearkening back to the very beginnings of the show when Masayoshi himself was the crazy one rather than just trying to keep up with all the crazy going on around him. And that's why I think this was the perfect way to end the series, because it brought our two main and strongest characters back to centre stage and let Masayoshi's sheer naïve yet earnest audacity be the key to saving the day once and for all in a way that was at once ridiculous, hilarious and yet meaningful, emotional and thematically relevant.

This show has been a wild ride, and it's been a joy to follow from beginning to end.

Oh, and I think between Samurai Flamenco and Silver Spoon, this has been easily the best season for the noitaminA block out of those seasons that I've followed it in, possibly its best season ever.

Gbraga

Kill la Kill Finale

HOLY FUCK WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT

AND NOT THE GOOD KIND

HOLY SHIT THIS WAS SO FUCKING AWFUL.

Only good thing about it was Satsuki at the end, I think I like her better with long hair, but the way she was dressed, HGGGNNN

Other than that, holy shit, so fucking AWFUL. It's like they decided for some reason that all the underdeveloped crap that happened in this episode would work just fine with the same amount of time they gave to fucking tennis club. If only they didn't waste so much time in the first half, it wouldn't feel like rushed garbage. Jesus, that was awful.

And this second part was so damn good too, WHY, Imaishi, WHY? The animation wasn't even good, if they didn't have the budget for 24 episodes, why make it 24 when half of it was pretty much filler?

I hope Samumenco doesn't disappoint me now.

Satsuki-sama is still Ms Hometown, she's super great, but fuck this finale.

daveo42

Banned
I was actually ok with the ending of KLK, I just felt that there was a lot of wasted time during the entire season and
the death of senketsu was way too rushed at the end.

Editing, better pacing, and a bigger animation budget would have done wonders for this show, but still pretty good overall.

Tenumi

Banned
Well... I certainly seem to retain my position as the Captain of the Unpopular Opinion...

My watching list feels so bare right now. Only have Log Horizon currently as a "backlog" show (Considering I started it late last week or so). Gonna have to find some fun stuff to watch before the new season starts.

True Tears 1-13 END

The show looked interesting so I gave it a watch. Overall it was ok. It tried to be drama heavy but there wasn't a good reason for the drama. The mom hating on Hiromi was kind of odd, and how the dad noticed it but didn't say anything. The best thing about this show was Noe, and it sucks that she had to be a tragic character. Nothing good came to her in this show. Nothing at all. But she was undoubtedly the best thing in this show. Also, I did not understand why Noe even liked the main character. There was no reason for her to.

Now to move on to another romance, drama, comedy I can find. I don't know what's left but here's what I've seen.

Oh My Goddess!
Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy
Ah! My Goddess: Everyone Has Wings
Love Hina
Love Hina Again
Ai Yori Aoshi
Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi
Rumbling Hearts
True Tears
Toradora!
Golden Time
White Album
White Album 2
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions - Heart Throb -
Kotoura-san
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
Myself; Yourself
Haganai Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Oreshura
Nagi no Asu Kara
School Days
If I See You in My Dreams
Please Teacher
Please Twins
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Kimi ni Todoke
Lovely Complex
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi in Tokyo
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
Inari, Kon Kon Koi, Iroha
Sankarea
Kokoro Connect
Suzuka
Kimi no Iru Machi
Fruits Baskets

From that list my top five are White Album 2, Ano Natsu, Love Hina, Toradora!, and Golden Time.

Are there any others worth watching? Also I hated Clannad and Air. So no Key shit. Don't consider Angel Beats to be Key.

Jintor

I still think Tonari no Kaibutsu kun is worth a watch, but ya'll got to know it doesn't go anywhere because only covers half the manga :<

Jarmel

Banned
I was actually ok with the ending of KLK, I just felt that there was a lot of wasted time during the entire season and
the death of senketsu was way too rushed at the end.

Editing, better pacing, and a bigger animation budget would have done wonders for this show, but still pretty good overall.

Nakashima giving something approaching a fuck, would have done wonders for the show.

Strike the blood - 24

Strike the blood ends with filler ( but not really ) and the same thing as every arc .....i really wonder how many times the writter will copy-paste each arc
How many times did i hear "sempai" during those 24 episodes ? How many times "Regulus aurum " ? How many " no sempai , this is our fight !" How many fake death scenes ?
Strike%20the%20Blood%20-%2024.jpg

The curse of copycat writting at his finnest .
Strike the blood is not that bad of a anime but problem is that toaru majustsu no index does everything strike blood does but better + way more stuff ..while index change settings , point of views and situations quite often , strike the blood stay in the same area and doesn't move much.. Index also handle the harems much better as characters.Aside from the main character of index some of them got their spin-off that are just as polished as the main serie and i really doubt that could happen in strike the blood because kojou is a shortcut for everything ...shortcut for instant victory , shortcut for instant revival , shortcut for sudden out of place comic routines you name it , kojou can do it.

And it's a shame because the girls in strike the blood aren't bad ... hacker-chan is capable and skilled , tsundere archer-chan still need work but has a real place in the story , natsuki does her job very well despite the nerfs she got.and the list goes on... problem is that everyone value goes down when they are ALWAYS repeating the same mistake arc after arc , scene after scene and you have no impression that things are moving in either direction... index has a large amount of this stuff too BUT in index you also have significant events in each arc making things advancing ..none of this is in strike the bood.

Vatler is a character quite under-used
I have no problem with ultra strong characters but i want to see them fight too . Vatler is strong , this work master fully as a character but on the screen you need nothing of it....We get it he is neither an ally nor a foe , but please show him fight !!! The poor guy is dying for a fight where he is having fun , and So are we !
Godamit show this stuff ! expand on the characters ! Do something !

As it stand Strike the blood is no more than a glorified 6/10. so many good ideas but the execution of said ideas is poor , and undermine what could have been great arcs .. the most intresting part was without a doubt everything that was related to natsuki and her prison..i'm sick of seeing deus ex machina for instant solving situations

Final strike the blood rankings

1) La Folia Rihavein
2) Natsuki Minamiya
3) Asagi Aiba
4) Dimitrie Vatler
5) Astarte
6) Reina Akatsuki
6) Moegi Akatsuki
This 6th place for both is because both girls won so i'm alright with this
8) Sayaka Kirasaka ( she must work harder )
9) Kanon Kanase ( must work harder next time )
10) Mimori Akatsuki ( not enough on screen time )
11) Yuuma Tokoyogi
12 ) Nina Adelard
13 )Nagisa Akatsuki
14 ) SEMPAI SEMPAI SEMPA- ahem i mean Yukina Himeragi

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
No-Rin - 12 [END]

bCQ8h03.png

TREMBLE BEFORE MY GAIA

Pretty meh for a finale. They should've had the remaining three episodes take place at school with their usual antics at play instead of trying to change the tone somewhat in the last two episodes with Kou's backstory and Minori's
family issues/scheme
. That aside, the series was quite enjoyable overall.

Becky is the best Christmas Cake. No exceptions.

Quasar

Now to move on to another romance, drama, comedy I can find. I don't know what's left but here's what I've seen.

From that list my top five are White Album 2, Ano Natsu, Love Hina, Toradora!, and Golden Time.

Are there any others worth watching? Also I hated Clannad and Air. So no Key shit. Don't consider Angel Beats to be Key.

I think Say I Love you is worth seeing, as is Amagami if you are fine with anthologies.

Looking at your list you have plenty of Tenchi so I might say try War on Geminar, I liked that but that was my first tenchi related thing.

You might like is this a zombie?

Defuser

Samurai Flamenco ep 22 FINAL

Hazama stripping naked,try to get all touchy feely on Haiji not to mention proposing Goto san is hilarious but......

BULLSHIT

What a fucking troll Goto-san is. In the end he never change which nearly render his backstory pointless. Poor Mari, lost to a fucking cellphone.

But overall I do enjoy the whole show. From Japanese kickass to Kamen Rider to Super Sentai to MG Revengence to Ultraman and then lastly to The Dark Knight Fight Club version. This is one hell of a crazy ride.

fallagin

Samflam 22

That was just about the best ending I could hope for. Hazama turning exhibitionist hero was truly a sight to see. Everything else turned out ok as well.

Midonin

Sakura Trick 12 + Final Thoughts

It's a tie between SoniAni and this for my top two of the season. As a yuri anime, and the first Manga Time Kirara representative of the year, it had some advantages from the start, and it delivered on what I'd expect from a Kirara work, and a little more. Kissing was the central point, and on that, it delivered splendidly. All the main characters were adorable in their own ways, the opening and ending were adorable, even the love triangle was adorable.

And even with all this cuteness, this is still one of the most boob-tastic yuri shows I've seen. Haruka's breasts felt like they had as much screentime as the kissing, same for Mitsuki's. All the major holidays were covered, as were many of the beats of a relationship. And it's the second time this season I got to hear a Haruka Tomatsu character make out with another.

It always left me in a good mood, and delivered exactly what it promised. Comedy, romance and girls kissing girls. There's not much to talk about, but I'm content with what I got.

Hamatora 12

That was some cliffhanger ending. Yeah, give us season 2 already!

I liked it. It was pretty fun and I liked how quickly the show subverted some things I thought would happen but actually didn't like that whole message scene.

The ending fight was pretty awesome as well. It was a pretty good show. Really enjoyed how stylish it is and looking forward to seeing more of it.

Part 2 of Thursday night Animoo

Dragon Quest Daibentomakiharadari malaria 1

I loved that violent slaughter of monsters by the fake heroes. I think the weirdest part was when we were like "Is he going to rape that priest girl?" and then it really gave that vibe as it kept going. The ant eater and hoarde of slimes didn't help. ...Granted it was feet tickling, but considering her pants was removed just to do that.... how suggestive. (this actually made it despite it's 46 ep length.)

Bomberman Jetters

Why is everyone White
Bomber?
And Supposedly it becomes more like Casshern Sins. I think White Bomber is a girl, no matter what they say to me.

I think Say I Love you is worth seeing, as is Amagami if you are fine with anthologies.

Looking at your list you have plenty of Tenchi so I might say try War on Geminar, I liked that but that was my first tenchi related thing.

I tried watching and while I thought the female lead was interesting at first -- her tune changed a bit too fast and I hated the male lead even more than the guy in My Little Monster.

Amagami sounds ok. Will try an ep or two,

Narag

Space Dandy 13

omg.

===

Hope the second cour continues like this one ended. Show has really grown on me in the second half. Think it's also somewhat amusing the better episodes are the ones that focus on a single character too.

War of Gemini maybe. But I like to pretend that anything made after Tenchi in Tokyo doesn't really exist. I didn't like Tenchi in Tokyo, but I really disliked the Tenchi revival attempts. As far as Tenchi, OVA series 1 and 2, plus Tenchi Universe is what's really good. The third OVA series was such a disappointment.

Is this a zombie sounds like it can be interesting. I liked Sankarea. Will try it out.

cajunator

Banned
True Tears 1-13 END

The show looked interesting so I gave it a watch. Overall it was ok. It tried to be drama heavy but there wasn't a good reason for the drama. The mom hating on Hiromi was kind of odd, and how the dad noticed it but didn't say anything. The best thing about this show was Noe, and it sucks that she had to be a tragic character. Nothing good came to her in this show. Nothing at all. But she was undoubtedly the best thing in this show. Also, I did not understand why Noe even liked the main character. There was no reason for her to.

Oh My Goddess!
Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy
Ah! My Goddess: Everyone Has Wings
Love Hina
Love Hina Again
Ai Yori Aoshi
Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi
Rumbling Hearts
True Tears
Toradora!
Golden Time
White Album
White Album 2
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions - Heart Throb -
Kotoura-san
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
Myself; Yourself
Haganai Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Oreshura
Nagi no Asu Kara
School Days
If I See You in My Dreams
Please Teacher
Please Twins
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Kimi ni Todoke
Lovely Complex
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi in Tokyo
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
Inari, Kon Kon Koi, Iroha
Sankarea

Have you seen Full Moon O Sagashite? Its a romance at heart but theres some heavt drama at times and others its a lighthearted show about Mitsuki becoming a singer. I feel like it has one of the most beautiful and satisfying ends and some memorable pop music. Just a really enjoyable and special series. It is 52 episodes but worth your time.

Have you seen Full Moon O Sagashite? Its a romance at heart but theres some heavt drama at times and others its a lighthearted show about Mitsuki becoming a singer. I feel like it has one of the most beautiful and satisfying ends and some memorable pop music. Just a really enjoyable and special series. It is 52 episodes but worth your time.

That title was talked about and recommended to me a long time ago but I never got around to it. I guess cause it's Shojo, and I prefer more Shonen stuff. I will check it out though. Maybe not right away but I know it's a highly praised show. Thanks. I totally forgot about this show.

CorvoSol

Mari was a sociopath and all but I won't deny I actually kinda wanted her to hook up with Gotoh.
The nuttier he got the more perfect they were for each other.

cnet128

Banned
Mari was a sociopath and all but I won't deny I actually kinda wanted her to hook up with Gotoh.
The nuttier he got the more perfect they were for each other.

Yeah, Mari was a sociopath, but she was a cute and lovable sociopath. I couldn't hate her. And I felt like there was the makings of a real bond between her and Gotou. Would've been kind of nice to see something come of that.

Or she could just have lots of love-hate-friendship-sex with Moe. That would also work.

Mahou Sensou 12 END

What.

That's...that's not how you end a series. That setup was way more interesting than literally anything that has happened in the series so far. They just ended the series at the start of an arc that looked like it might be going somewhere worthwhile for the first time in this show's miserable history. Goddammit.

Gbraga

Samumenco 22

What the fuck? HAHAHAHAHA

Kinda bummed in the end everything was the same, Goto's backstory was really strong imo, not just this episode, the moment it was revealed he was texting himself I got that sense of pre-gorilla Samumenco, and they went some dark places with Goto's character. Not saying that he had to be cured and married Masayoshi (wtf was that anyway? hahaha), but I don't think that just making a lighthearted moment about him staying the same was the best way to approach it. It's still fucked up in a way, I guess.

What a crazy ride this show was, every time outdoing itself, when you thought it couldn't get anymore stupid, there it was to prove you wrong. The final arc was more pre-Torture Flamenco, coming full circle and all that, but it was still very interesting even so, they didn't had to fight for the sake of the universe to go even further, just going deeper into the characters' minds was enough to keep pushing forward when they couldn't get more over the top.

Haiji was a weak ass adversary, though. I feel like it would be a better final arc if
it was much more grounded with just Masayoshi having to face personal issues, find love and help Goto
instead of finding a new villain.

Still wish Masayoshi x Ishihara was a thing, but I'd take Masayoshi x Goto too.

I'll miss that opening song.

I guess I'll leave Sakura Trick, Mikakunin and No-rin for tomorrow, the best shows will have to wait. Though I gotta say No-rin gave me very strong first impressions with the first three episodes or so, but it wasn't able to keep up. After the first two, I claimed it as my favorite this season, but now without a doubt it's up to Sakura Trick and Mikakunin to get that title. Those two never cease to amuse me, and I hope I get that aaaawwwww feeling at the end like I did with Non Non Biyori. I loved that anime so much.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 125 (engDub)
Bj233ioCEAApEI7.png

Leon Soryuu's fight with some of my favorite cards (like Tear Knight Theo!) was fun. Kind of got on the magical side of things with his opponent but still done in a way that didnt feel too unrealistic. It did get me thinking and wondering of when we would see why this season is called Link Joker.

Downstairs, pretty funny Takuto getting Kourin all flustered.

Gbraga

Mahou Sensou 12 END

What.

That's...that's not how you end a series. That setup was way more interesting than literally anything that has happened in the series so far. They just ended the series at the start of an arc that looked like it might be going somewhere worthwhile for the first time in this show's miserable history. Goddammit.

I think Mahou Sensou was the first anime I dropped after the first episode. I went in thinking "ok, I'll try to apply the rules of nature of three episodes for this one", but I just couldn't, as soon as the first one ended, I was out. Fuck this.

Still trying to find strength to go back to Dandy, it wasn't actually bad, but after 4 episodes I just decided it wasn't worth my time. Maybe now that everything's ending I'll get back to it.

Can't wait to catch up to Tokyo Ravens too, I think I'm about 4 episodes late. It actually got surprisingly decent at being a battle anime too instead of the battles just getting in the way of the Persona thing. Suzu-tan is best girl to the end, I imagine.

Mr.Jeff

</snip>
Mahoraba-Heartful Days and Nodame Cantabile both spring to mind. There's probably Fruits Basket as well but it's been so long since I've seen it I'm not sure I could recommend it.

cnet128

Banned
Can't wait to catch up to Tokyo Ravens too, I think I'm about 4 episodes late. It actually got surprisingly decent at being a battle anime too instead of the battles just getting in the way of the Persona thing. Suzu-tan is best girl to the end, I imagine.

I'm sure you mean Suzuka (who is definitely very cute and really grew on me over the series as she became less of a bitch), but I'm going to pretend you mean the Tokyo Ravens character who is actually called Suzu.

I think I would get on quite well with Saotome Suzu. She is, after all, a fan of the real best girl in the series. And I'm sure she will support me in vehemently opposing
said best girl's transformation
in the final episode.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - 43

Suddenly a third faction shows up as a trio of devimon turn up and wreck shop in Tokyo. The original digidestined need to return home, but not before giving Imperialdramon a boost to get out of a stasis trap and transform to fighter mode. A dark Dreimon turns up to threaten the Digidestined, but Arukenimon and Mummymon turn up and swipe Ken by showing him a van full of brainwashed kids.

Digimon Adventures 02 - 44

LadyDevimon and Angewoman clash in the skies as Yukio reveals himself and creeps the shit out of Ken. I remember this being a really freaky episode - the brainwashed kids and all the scenes in the back of the van are creepy as fuck. Yukio reveals the theory of the dark spores that have accelerated Ken's growth and attempts to extract some with a... barcode scanner. Well, it is data...

Multiple battles play out across the city as Davis tracks Ken and Yukio back to Heightonview Terrace - the location of a portal back to the Digital World. Yolei and Cody struggle for half a second about having to murder LadyDevimon and MarineDevimon to save lives, but it turns out to be okay. Probably. TK and Kari don't give a shit tho

Magical Warfare - 12

WHAT

W
H
A
T

Magical%20Warfare%20-%2012.jpg

Except you are.

i don't have many words for this episode , for this ending for this ciffanger for this episode ....everything was : WHAT ?

-> The transition between ep 11 & 12 is shaddy at BEST , not well planned

-> The whole discussion was full of WHAT it was 80% bullshit 20% crazyness ..the only upside of this episode is that they gave a little bit more justification for the vilain but dammit DAMMIT

-> the whole battle was nonsense ... why stop towa ? was it over confidence ? if so why not bring her back afterward once the tides were changing

-> the bit army fight as so badly done it's not even funny , thankfully there was no QUALITY but a general lack of direction ... i'm stunned how bad it was

-> the music didn't fit for a climax battle

-> climax battle should have lasted longer and be better animated all they did was flashy moves to try to make the viewer forgot that nothing was on the screen

-> QUALITY

-> Omg the dialog THE DIALOG , THE DIALOG , how can this be ?

-> This final part of the episode ...

WHAT THE HECK ?? Just WHAT

This is NOT how you end an anime kadokawa , who THE HECK thought this was a good idea ? What the heck was this mess ? i don't even know the point of this .... If several characters knew this was going to happen , why didn't they do anything ? what was the point of those fights ?
Was the point of this season just one big kadokawa troll ?
Did they thought hey let's everything stop so that people will buy our books to know the rest?

NO , just NO this isn't how this works .... this UNACCEPTABLE : 2/10
I cannot even count the number of wasted oportunities or the number of suplot just left hanging , there was no pay-off , no resolution , nothing ....NOTHING not even a big fight..... BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME of WINTER 2014

Gbraga

I'm sure you mean Suzuka (who is definitely very cute and really grew on me over the series as she became less of a bitch), but I'm going to pretend you mean the Tokyo Ravens character who is actually called Suzu.

I think I would get on quite well with Saotome Suzu. She is, after all, a fan of the real best girl in the series. And I'm sure she will support me in vehemently opposing
said best girl's transformation
in the final episode.

Yes, I mean Suzuka, she's super best, shut up. DAAAAARLING~

And I accidentaly read your spoiler, but don't worry, just got me even more excited. I hope some girl wins Bakatora's heart, even if not my girl, tired of the EVERYBODY WINS/LOSES ending, have some balls, directors/writers. You'll piss some people off but the ones that get it their way will really enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom