• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Golden Time: Episodes 1-24

Sorry I haven't posted in a month. Been getting ready for my move to Japan in April. Anywho, I just finished Golden Time. Someone recommended it to me recently, so I gave it a shot. I have real mixed feelings on this one. There were things I really liked about it: a group of diverse characters, with fairly decent character development. Complex relationships. And as much as I think the main protagonist was problematic (and his amnesia plot was cliche), I actually was emotionally moved by the plot. The fact that, he felt he had to cut ties with everyone back at home, because he couldn't be the person they used to know. His struggle to hold on to who he is now, and who he used to be deep down.

I dunno, I just felt it was really tragic (especially the plot with his best friend growing up). However, my issues with the show overall is that:

I. I didn't really love the protagonist (he was okay at times, but sometimes he was really wimpy/pathetic. And it would start to grind). And I also think Bandri was kind of a dick (him forcing Koko to either be in love with him, or end their friendship was pretty shitty. I actually UNDERSTAND where he was coming from, in that she was using him. And he was bugging out over the situation of his best friend not telling him who she was when they met again. But in terms of where this happened in the plot, it felt really sudden, and it kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. Then again, I think there are a lot of actions of various characters throughout, that kind of made me mad).

II. While the show had a good size group of various characters, I felt like in the end, they gave them the shaft by focusing 100% on the main couple. I really thought the other characters were more interesting, and we should have gotten more from them in the back half.

III. I found the Koko (the main girl), to be problematic. I don't know if I would go as far as to say she was annoying, but she kind of was. What stopped me from completely hating her was the fact that, I think deep down I understood why she was the way she was. That she was a messed up person. So I could kind of dig into that, and kind of excuse her obsessive behavior. And because of her relationship with Bandri, it was like the perfect storm (since he basically was going to forget her, which was her biggest fear after the last guy she was in love with). But her complete obsessive dedication to whoever she loves, I dunno. It just doesn't feel like a real person (granted this is Anime), but it kind of bugged me.

IV. I found the relationship between Koko and Bandri to be shallow. Bandri liked Koko because she was hot. And I guess over time he started to love other aspects about her or whatever. But I never really felt like either of them, had a reason to love each other. Banri basically was willing to put up with her craziness. And because she had a guy that was willing to do that, she loved him? See what I mean. I'm not saying that was the intention of the author. But it came off that way to me in the Anime at least. Not enough growth, where I truly understood why the loved each other. Whereas I felt Bandri and Linda's relationship made more sense (on that level).

ANYWAYS, all that aside - on the whole, I did appreciate this one. I thought it had a good mix of humor, complex relationships, and I really liked the overall cast of characters. But I feel like the ending kind of waffled. And I wasn't entirely satisfied with how they dealt with the main characters plot (specifically, him and best friend.) I just have a real hard time believing that she would accept what happened, that they would both accept it. But whatever. My issues were more so with how they decided to tell it (not so much where the writers decided to go with it).

cajunator

Banned
Yami 11

More bondage, now with vines!

Oh wait, this is Hazuki. Of course nothing can touch her.

Hazuki asks Lilith where she went, and Lilith answers, "Hi!" Typical Lilith.

Oh hey, this is like Gravity. Shoutout to Firehawk!

Ah, she was saved by that boy. Who immediately proposes to her. wat.

So, did that sci-fi story have any impact on the plot at all?

And now the goblins are violating Princess Mariel's personal space. Classy. Cue same stupid joke from last episode.

Ah, so the fox girl was a creation of foxy lady. Good to know.

Man, Gargantua cannot move without dancing. Is this supposed to be a parody of something?

Lilith sees Hazuki unconscious, and her mind goes dirty places. Of course.

Suddenly Eve?

Mai Waifu!

FOXY LADY REMOVES THE HAT! SHOCK!

:O

No worries, it will continue to not make any sense right up until the thrilling not-conclusion-but-kind-of-just-enough-to-make-you -go-on-a-rampage-with-Corvy

Syrinx

Tenchi Muyo! OVA 4

Hot springs episode. Ryoko doesn't give a fuck. Fine with me.

How is that Mihoshi girl a cop? She can't move two feet without causing a wreck and a disaster. They probably shouldn't let her anywhere near crime scenes.

Goddamn at that organ Kagato is rocking. How do you even fit that thing on a spaceship? Biggest organ I've seen in person was at the Music Hall at Yale, and this dwarfs the shit out of that. But being a bad dude and all, I suppose the humungous organ is fitting.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo G 18

Uh, Ryo, really? When have the bad guys NOT been hiding in volcanoes? Did the Dinosaur Empire suddenly NOT use volcano bases for 50 episodes? Sometimes I swear you'd be dead if Hitler wasn't such a shit commander.

Heh. I thought JP and EN Tomoya were done great. JP Nagisa is high pitched and made the character really moe. Luci pulled that back a little with her Nagisa and personally made me like her more. Not as high pitched and just perfect for that character.

Luci with that kind of voice will always be School Rumble Tenma to me :p

Soriku

Holy fucking shit at Kuroko episode 50. This was easily one of the best episodes of the series. Highlights:

Kagami's pass to Kuroko -> Kuroko's backhand pass to the basket -> Kagami's dunk.
Fuck yeah. Someone GIF that shit.

-Izuki's pass to Kagami's dunk.
Fuck yeah.

-Kagami's meteor jam.
Fuck yeah.

-Kuroko's block at the end, and everyone's elated faces.
Fuck yeah.

This anime is the among the GOAT. Why isn't everyone watching it?

Also, was this the final episode of the season? I was hoping to see Midorima getting his ass beat by Akashi, going by the end of this episode.

Taruranto

pc4Ktty.jpg

canon

DominoKid

Holy fucking shit at Kuroko episode 50. This was easily one of the best episodes of the series. Highlights:

Kagami's pass to Kuroko -> Kuroko's backhand pass to the basket -> Kagami's dunk.
Fuck yeah. Someone GIF that shit.

-Izuki's pass to Kagami's dunk.
Fuck yeah.

-Kagami's meteor jam.
Fuck yeah.

-Kuroko's block at the end, and everyone's elated faces.
Fuck yeah.

This anime is the among the GOAT. Why isn't everyone watching it?

Also, was this the final episode of the season? I was hoping to see Midorima getting his ass beat by Akashi, going by the end of this episode.

Yep last ep of the season. Hopefully S3 is soon.

Whole episode had me so hype.

Lurky

Sakura Trick 12

Well that's a pretty good way to end the show. I was kind of expecting them to make out a little more though. Also, I remembered today why I always skipped the ending credits...
I'm as hard as a rock right now and am frantically searching for doujins that don't exist ;-;

dVfOr18.jpg

Steins; Gate Burdened Domain of Deja Vu

What a fucking great film. At first I was wary about a movie sequel to the series considering the OVA wrapped it all up so tightly. But this did an even better job. Okabe and Kurisu are still one of my favorite anime couples out there. Their story is so fucking sweet and tragic. I really need to buy the blu-rays of the series, I hope they go on sale at some point later this year if not I'll still buy them.

The movie, to be as less spoilery as possible, is about Kurisu dealing with a certain tragedy that only she knows of. She struggles to follow her heart when her scientific mind tells her something else.

Over-all the art was fantastic, the characters were as lovable as before, and the movie had SO MANY FEELS that I cried all throughout the second half. Steins;Gate never fails to delivers, but Hoooououououououin has never failed so it makes sense.

Steins; Gate Burdened Domain of Deja Vu gets a 10 out of 10. All hail the Tsundere Queen and the Maddo Scientist

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket S2 25

The last episode was great. Hate they ended the episode right before the build up of
Haizaki vs Kise

So excited for a Season 3.

CorvoSol

Great Mazinger 18

Oh, sure I could use my giant robot to help the human race in a non-combatant way, chief, but that sounds like a girly thing to do, so I'm not gonna.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jexhius posting doujin cut outs. What is the world coming to?

Oh, there's a dark, dark side below the benign exterior of an erudite old British butler. I'll never forget the day in IRC that we suddenly started having a conversation about haruyama. Irrevocably changed the way I see him.

Oh, there's a dark, dark side below the benign exterior of an erudite old British butler. I'll never forget the day in IRC that we suddenly started having a conversation about haruyama. Irrevocably changed the way I see him.

This sounds like something I wish I was a part of.

cajunator

Banned

We should discuss Tampires again.

CorvoSol

Macross 7 5

"Hey Basara could you explain that highly formulaic yet nonsensical thing you do where you go fly into battle to sing your dumbass song every single episode to me and the audience?"
"You just don't get it!"
"No, dumbass, I don't. That's why I'm asking you to explain it."
"I SING WHEN I WANT."

Fuck Basara. And fuck this show. Like, after that happens there's this retarded moment where this bitchy preteen bike punk accosts Basara and Mylene, after her gang had chased them all this way, and after stupid wacky hijinks or whatever, nobody explains why this happened. There was no reason for these bikers to be chasing them at all.

Why can't I just find a good Macross show? Do any even exist?

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 7 5

"Hey Basara could you explain that highly formulaic yet nonsensical thing you do where you go fly into battle to sing your dumbass song every single episode to me and the audience?"
"You just don't get it!"
"No, dumbass, I don't. That's why I'm asking you to explain it."
"I SING WHEN I WANT."

Fuck Basara. And fuck this show. Like, after that happens there's this retarded moment where this bitchy preteen bike punk accosts Basara and Mylene, after her gang had chased them all this way, and after stupid wacky hijinks or whatever, nobody explains why this happened. There was no reason for these bikers to be chasing them at all.

Why can't I just find a good Macross show? Do any even exist?

Less questions and more listening.

The funny part is that you still haven't seen Zero yet.

Acosta

Log Horizon 22

It was super fun until they decided to put some drama, (I saw it coming, but anyway, blergh).

Until that part, great fun:

zDIpoOl.jpg

Awwwwww

ALguHOi.jpg

AAAAWWWWWW

hpLCnvx.jpg

hahaha

BluWacky

How anything could be bad with it is a mystery to me. Can somebody mention if it turns bad for a specific reason? Or simply it isn't an AnimeGAF favorite?

From what little I watched, its female lead is a combination of bad nime cliches (she's tsundere! she's an ojou-sama! she's a loli!) and much of the show revolves around her berating the male lead for the fact that she is entirely superior to him while ostensibly solving mysteries. If you are more tolerant of this kind of thing than I am (which would not be hard) you may enjoy it more.

I think my perceptions of it are also slightly coloured by the fact that I think it was one of the very early shows that Crunchyroll streamed legitimately (or was it Funimation?) and the quality of the stream was appalling at the time - given that I usually watch Bones shows at least in part for the eye candy, and this didn't seem to be apparent from the animation or the stream quality, that put me off too.

Everybody here hates the GOT'DANG PATRIOTIC Heroman, but I enjoyed it. I'll keep watching and give series thoughts. Well assuming I can finish it. But I'm usually easy to please.

edit: and yes it is Crunchyroll that has the 480p quality. It's a shame and all, but I'll manage.

If you guys have good detective recommendations that don't require me to watch 1000 episodes like a certain anime, be my guest I love detective stories.

Branduil

It's just that, once you think of it, you can never stop imagining how much better GOSICK would be if the main character was a triceratops.

ibn8wOEmzfYRLu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom