• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait. Did someone just compare Haruhiko Mikimoto's DYRL character designs to KEY art? /dead

Hahahaha. I wasn't comparing the actual designs, per say. I was mainly comparing the experience people had with them at first glance to mine. I just needed to get used to it, which I did.

PuPiPo! 15

S5PVlDsl.jpg

I didn't expect ponpo to bring on such feels but what a great series.

Like how in Yami when Hazumi was willing to strangle Eve to death because if she couldn't live with her then she was better off murdering her because they couldn't be together but they could but they couldn't and that's just true love for you

Hot diggity that's true love right he'a

World Conquest Zvesda 12: End

I loved the scene where everybody is attacking all badass like and Dva runs around screaming like a little bitch hitting people with a fly swatter. What a man I'd follow him to hell and back I would.

Also
the fact Goro and his sister-in-law are now in love and get married and act all lovey dovey is a bit messed up considering how she was a high schooler when he was married to his sister. Also Shikabane now has her aunt has her step mom... weird family all around

We also found out
blonde ojou-sama is in love with eyebrows girl. Good thing eyebrows girl still loves our her Asuta

If there really is a next season, I'm looking forward to it since it'd take place
in America. I can't help but laugh at the thought of engrish villains who play baseball and basketball

Zvezda had issues. My main issue is Asuta's worth as a protagonist. I didn't care for it. It worked at first but in a world full of badass fighters you don't make Waver-kun the protagonist.

World Conquest Zvezda gets a 7.5/10

Pupipo 15

What a bittersweet ending.
So Po-chan was their unborn child who came back to his mama in this form to help her stop the suffering. Now they live in a world where they don't have that spiritual energy, so they can get together fall in love and have Po-chan as their actual child.

What a great series. Pupipo gets an 8/10

Nafe

duckroll, or any other fans of Yuyushiki, have you seen these?

I'm not on twitter but I found out the Yuyushiki website put up apparently 327 twitter avatars/icons, certainly no lack of choice, if you're interested.

I'm not on twitter but I found out the Yuyushiki website put up apparently 327 twitter avatars/icons, certainly no lack of choice, if you're interested.
I saw these last night, they're pretty great and occasionally lewd. I forgot about all the good butts Yuyushiki had.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I figured as such. It really does succeed on the strength of its visuals on the big screen.
As an actual movie though I felt like it really had a lot of problems. Storywise it was pretty stupid, and lots of things seemed to happen so incredibly conveniently. I just wasnt feeling it.
Oh yeah, it's my favourite movie based on how it reinvents the possibility of film and representing images on a flat screen more than anything else. I really think it will be the pinnacle of film making in my lifetime. Other people might improve on the "formula", but the only possible thing that they could do to improve it would be to have completely digital actors that looked and acted lifelike. But at that point, I'm sure we'll be in holodecks or the Matrix, so it won't even matter.

Saturday morning! Time to watch Space Brothers and... Log... Horizon...

;_;
I really want to see how they do the inevitable joint Russian-US mission to the moon so that the two brothers can go up together. Maybe in a couple of years...

Aria
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain
Kino's Journey
Yamato 2199
The Tatami Galaxy
The Eccentric Family
Mushishi
Spice and Wolf
Sword of the Stranger

Haibane Renmei, Lain and Kino are just a bit over 10 years but you should watch them anyway, of course.
It's funny, because while Aria is my favourite anime but I don't know who I would recommend it to nowadays. There really isn't much of a comparable, because it does something that is so uniquely special that it carves its own niche.

Certainly it's the one that stands out in that list, for example. lol

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
What does it say about Yami's message when the only two successful relationships in the entire series are heterosexual?

No wonder SDBurton hated it!

LOL
===========================================

Samurai Flamenco - 19

This show is going off the deep end. What the hell?

It's funny, because while Aria is my favourite anime but I don't know who I would recommend it to nowadays. There really isn't much of a comparable, because it does something that is so uniquely special that it carves its own niche.

Certainly it's the one that stands out in that list, for example. lol
It's the one show in that pretty big realm of "slice of life" that I'd recommend to almost anyone. While Hidamari Sketch is my favorite anime, the chance that someone is one of those "HIGH SCHOOL SETTING GIRLS, UGH" people is pretty high, at least (especially?) for someone who doesn't frequent the thread. Like you said, it does something so different from whatever else in that genre that it's at least worth a try for anyone not used to such things.

JoeFu

Banned
I really enjoyed Zvezda. The last episode was pretty freaking good.

I hope there is going to be a season 2. America would be pretty sweet.

jman2050

Oh yeah, it's my favourite movie based on how it reinvents the possibility of film and representing images on a flat screen more than anything else. I really think it will be the pinnacle of film making in my lifetime. Other people might improve on the "formula", but the only possible thing that they could do to improve it would be to have completely digital actors that looked and acted lifelike. But at that point, I'm sure we'll be in holodecks or the Matrix, so it won't even matter.

Concerns about its viability on the small screen aside, it has downright some of the best camerawork I've ever seen in a film, period. Maybe even the best, I can't say for sure. It's probably the first time that portrayal of a true 3D space has felt so convincing to me.

Additionally the entire thing is basically a primer on how to properly use sound to enhance your story, something that's still lacking in all audiovisual mediums.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
There's no way Zvezda isn't getting a second season. They wouldn't have gotten so specific with
the teasing of new villains, including one who seems like Kate's antithesis, complete with different-looking Galaktika
if it wasn't. They've very obviously
already designed characters for the second season
, and they probably wouldn't have wasted their time doing so if it wasn't going to happen.

Now someone go ahead and point out several instances where something like this happened and the show still didn't get a second season. :lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Are those all from screencaps of the show?

There's no way Zvezda isn't getting a second season. They wouldn't have gotten so specific with
the teasing of new villains, including one who seems like Kate's antithesis, complete with different-looking Galaktika
, and they probably wouldn't have wasted their time doing so if it wasn't going to happen.

Now someone go ahead and point out several instances where something like this happened and the show still didn't get a second season. :lol

I'd laugh and say Incredibles.

But then again that recently got a sequel announced.

Man i wanna watch that movie again.

EDIT: in other news I'mma go have lunch, watch some South Park, then watch the Steins;Gate movie.

Yonafunu

So I just finished Noragami.

All in all; meh. It's way too short to get me emotionally invested in it's characters. Dammit BONES.

Star Driver's better.

duckroll

On the Japanese broadcast, they announced that the final volume of the DVD/BDs will have an OVA episode 13 - "New Zvezda Major Operation". So don't be too happy yet. :p

JoeFu

Banned

I really hope it's a thing. When anime goes to america we always get freaking sweet engrish. Engrish is one of my favorite things about anime.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
On the Japanese broadcast, they announced that the final volume of the DVD/BDs will have an OVA episode 13 - "New Zvezda Major Operation". So don't be too happy yet. :p

Hey, whatever. As long as the story ends in a satisfying way, I don't care if it's an OVA or a second season. I just hate open endings that never get resolved.

duckroll

Hey, whatever. As long as the story ends in a satisfying way, I don't care if it's an OVA or a second season. I just hate open endings that never get resolved.

Knowing the show though, I don't think resolving stuff is really high on the list of the writers. It's just as likely that they'll do something stupid in the OVAs, and then leave it open for more stuff if anyone wants to pay for it in future. It's a pretty silly show that doesn't really seem to take much of anything seriously at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's the one show in that pretty big realm of "slice of life" that I'd recommend to almost anyone. While Hidamari Sketch is my favorite anime, the chance that someone is one of those "HIGH SCHOOL SETTING GIRLS, UGH" people is pretty high, at least (especially?) for someone who doesn't frequent the thread. Like you said, it does something so different from whatever else in that genre that it's at least worth a try for anyone not used to such things.
That's true. It's why even though I like Tamayura, somehow Aria ends up being the more accessible show because of its setting and its characters.
I think it's probably because it's such an interesting mashup of genres that it becomes something that is almost undefinable. Science fiction? Slice of Life? Magic Realism? Mono no aware? All of the above!

Concerns about its viability on the small screen aside, it has downright some of the best camerawork I've ever seen in a film, period. Maybe even the best, I can't say for sure. It's probably the first time that portrayal of a true 3D space has felt so convincing to me.
This is why I also consider it the greatest animated film ever made. It is an animator's camera but applied to a setting that looks convincingly real. It's why one reviewer said he hated it, because it broke his expectations of cinematography, but that's why I find the film to be a magical experience that redefines the possibility of films.

It also helps that cost is not an issue. On the special features, it is revealed that the idea to have the camera be upside down in the opening shot and then slowly rotate until we get the "right side up" shot was a last minute change made right before the movie was going to be locked. Cauron and his editor basically flipped their monitor around and he realized that he wanted the movie to open with the upside down shot. Making that one change forced them to delay the movie by at least 3 months because that's how long it took to re-render that sequence. And if you watch the film, that sequence is maybe only 2-3 minutes of the entire opening long take.

I feel like that one change that Cauron made could have probably funded an entire season of an anime. lol

So how long until everyone here switches to one just for shiggles?

ys_91.png

ys_303.png

:Theonik
ys_173.png

:Chet

Oh. I've not watched any of these things.

You haven't watched Clannad and Clannad After Story?! Corvo dude..

Mormon to Mormon. FF fan to FF fan. Anime watcher to anime watcher.... You need to watch it. Clannad has a huge hump in the beginning (I personally liked the beginning but recognize it can drag on) but once you get to the end of Clannad and watch After Story you'll be happy you did.

Just watch these two seasons and you never have to take another recommendation from me if you don't want to. :)

Don't take my post as a slight, dude. Totally wasn't. Just caught me a bit off-guard is all. :lol

It was meant to. ;P

Was more taken aback by Firehawks comment to be honest.

But it was more to highlight how much Corvo and I have in common so I would think he may like the show. Was trying to exemplify that with three "blank to blank" comparisons. :)

CorvoSol

You haven't watched Clannad and Clannad After Story?! Corvo dude..

Mormon to Mormon. FF fan to FF fan. Anime watcher to anime watcher.... You need to watch it. Clannad has a huge hump in the beginning (I personally liked the beginning but recognize it can drag on) but once you get to the end of Clannad and watch After Story you'll be happy you did.

Just watch these two seasons and you never have to take another recommendation from me if you don't want to. :)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but doesn't KEY have like, those really ugly faces going on? I hate myself for judging a show on its looks, but I'm gonna need to see a shot. Cuz if the faces are like what I'm expecting, I dunno if I can do it.

Sister-wife to sister-wife.

Y'all just jelly that you can't ever live the harem dream.
I'll be lucky to get one woman, plz.

Pocket Monsters X/Y 20

qswjXmGl.jpg

I didn't expect them to make Zakuro so fabulous in the anime.

The Battle Chateau was pretty cool. I'm glad it's not as such a big thing in the game otherwise grinding there would have been pretty annoying. The fight between Viola and Zakuro was pretty awesome too.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but doesn't KEY have like, those really ugly faces going on? I hate myself for judging a show on its looks, but I'm gonna need to see a shot. Cuz if the faces are like what I'm expecting, I dunno if I can do it.

Y'all just jelly that you can't ever live the harem dream.
I'll be lucky to get one woman, plz.

This was a show where at first I didn't want to watch it because of the art style and moe-ness. But once I actually watched it I loved the art style. It gets even better in After Story.

Gazoinks

Hey, I thought the first Clannad was okay.

The After Story is beautiful. It sits on the throne over all high-school romance anime in my book for a reason.

I didn't like the first Clannad at all, but After Story is really good definitely. It's just kind of a shame it's such a slog to get to the best bits.

That being said, I don't know if it's really Corvo's kind of thing?

You've summoned KEY Public Relations Manager Pshyconinja with this comment

edit: man that was fast

Pft. If only. I think I would make a pretty good one too huh?

And only way I know how. ;P

I didn't like the first Clannad at all, but After Story is really good definitely. It's just kind of a shame it's such a slog to get to the best bits.

That being said, I don't know if it's really Corvo's kind of thing?

There's been times where people didn't recommend me some shows because they thought I wouldn't like it. When they came around and actually showed me some I loved them. Examples being Kenichi, Gai-Rai Zero etc etc.

Id like to give him a chance to try something he may end up enjoying a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom