• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

If you mean in general, probably because the art style/simplistic animation might've turned them away from it at first. The show gives off the appearance of being forgettable, but it ended up being the surprise show of the past 2 seasons.

If you meant in GAF, I think a lot of folks here watch it.

Yeah. Was my #2 in last years vote.

didn't SHAFT do all the ovas and movies? Those had some great (but short) fights.

Shaft did everything else after the mess Xebec left us.

I won't lie the stuff staff outputted ( aside from negima? ) was alright ...but i cannot help but think that negima needed a real anime untainted by shaft influence it was Sooo different than the manga when it didn't need to be.
Furthermore , outside the magic world oavs we have missed All the fun events ( kotarou meeting , the festival , the chao plan ) and even in the area they adapted , in the magical world , the 2 biggest highlights have either been skipped ( negi vs rakan ) or so trimmed i can't believe my eyes ( negi vs tertium )

Shaft wasn't the studio for the job...They made stuff that was kinda fanservicy but a large portion of the fanbase wanted to see the plot animated , we got a mess.

People high in the production chain wanted to turn negima into a goodie factory and they wanted a mainstream comedy anime when akamatsu itself wanted to do something else.and let's face it nobody wanted to see only the fanservice. Fanservice isn't bad but it should have been something added , not the main thing they wanted to show us. In that sense i don't mind Negima? but i really wanted to see the great parts of Negima! in motion ( mars attack , kiss-terminator , mahora fight tournament , great magic fight tournament). The only thing i wanted to see they adapted was yue side adventure and it was great but damn if we lost so many. What wouldn't have done do see crazy maniac stalker shimeryu animated ?
What wouldn't have paid to see Setsuna Vs evangeline animated ?

ALL OF MY RAGE
So many missed opportunities , all because xebec messed up

cajunator

Banned
FMA starts following the manga then goes into fillers and then ORIGINAL ANIME ENDING
FMA : brotherhood sticks to the manga

In short if you want the normal story/experience , just watch brotherhood.

Xebec sin is great indeed
Because of this , we never had a full kyoto arc ( worthy of being animated ) , nor a full mundo magicus arc or the festival arc ( All of my rage )

I never really watched FMA but youre saying I can skip all of it and just watch Brotherhood?

iW7X9njGpPXhP.gif

You're working hard to earn a spot on my list tonight.

You should work on that rage. Youll just keep hitting your head.

I enjoyed it when I was like in my awkward teens when it came out. Give me a break, if it actually was bad then I wouldn't know.

I bet all of you loved Space Jam when you were kids as well. TRY WATCHING IT AGAIN.

I still love Space Jam

Shaft did everything else after the mess Xebec left us.

I won't lie the stuff staff outputted ( aside from negima? ) was alright ...but i cannot help but think that negima needed a real anime untainted by shaft influence it was Sooo different than the manga when it didn't need to be.
Furthermore , outside the magic world oavs we have missed All the fun events ( kotarou meeting , the festival , the chao plan ) and even in the area they adapted , in teh magical world , the 2 biggest highlight have either been skipped ( negi vs rakan ) or so trimmed i can't believe my eyes ( negi vs tertium )

Shaft wasn't the studio for the job...They made stuff that was kinda fanservicy but a large portion of the fanbase wanted to see the plot animated , we got a mess.

People high in the production chain wanted to turn negima into a goodie factory and they wanted a mainstream comedy anime when akamatsu itself wanted to do something else.and let's face it nobody wanted to see only the fanservice. Fanservice isn't bad but it should have been something added , not the main thing they wanted to show us. in that sense i don't mind Negima? but i really wanted to see the great parts of Negima! in motion ( mars attack , kiss-terminator , mahora fight tournament , great magic fight tournament). The only thing i wanted to see they adapted was yue side adventure and it was great but damn if we lost so many. What wouldn't have done do see crazy maniac stalker shimeryu animated ?
What wouldn't have paid to see Setsuna Vs evangeline animated ?

ALL OF MY RAGE
So many missed opportunities , all because xebec messed up

Its even more annoying how they keep on teasing that there might be a proper anime adaption :/

I never really watched FMA but youre saying I can skip all of it and just watch Brotherhood?

Brotherhood is the manga.. the first half of brotherhood is fast paced but only because they were re-telling the evens they already treated in the original FMA anime.

So if you have to watch only one, watch Brotherhood.

You should work on that rage. Youll just keep hitting your head.

I still love Space Jam

Yes, it's like hellsing to hellsing ultimate or hunter x hunter 1999 vs hunter x hunter 2011. You do not need to see one version to be able to understand/enjoy the other. In all cases though the second version is always superior and the original versions are just novelty.

Lovely Complex 5
Fxqr0jG.jpg

Oh hey a moe love interest. She seems pretty cool.

I wonder why they don't continue d-

LElcueC.gif

OH SHIT ABORT. ABORT. ABANDON SHIP.

I THOUGHT YOU KNEW. I THOUGHT YOU KNEW

Dead

well not really...yet
Just found out the Ah! My Goddess manga is finally ending. I havent read it in years but that still makes me sad for a reason :( Felt like it would go on forever.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
all of the recommendations for brotherhood over the original fma explain so much about what these threads have become.

You could, but you shouldn't. Brotherhood's early episodes are vastly inferior to the original, and the first series really was great for pretty much the whole run. FMA is just a very well put together show on every level, whereas Brotherhood leaves a lot more to be desired.

It's only the ending of the movie that really sours things.

Guys... I.....

... It doesn't.....

...Whoever came up with this plot.... is sick in the head.

I expected the revel to be dark but........ HOLY [redacted]!!!!!

You could easily watch the first few episodes showing how they came to be and when they join the military. Afterwards it's fine to move on to Brotherhood.

Then you'd miss on all of the great moments from the second half of the series. I mean, who cares about which version is sticking closer to the manga (and it took like what, three minutes for Brotherhood to start adding anime only material, anyway?). The main question should be if the show is a quality show worth watching, and FMA is one. The story is different, but it's executed on pretty well, and really is something I think anyone into anime should check out.

You shouldn't think about 'moving on' to Brotherhood. You watch FMA, which is its own thing, and then you watch Brotherhood, which is its own thing. The shows should be evaluated on their individual merits rather than simply being considered as something to 'move on' from and get to 'the real version' or whatever.

If you look at an earlier page I agree with you over FMA being definitely worth a watch and pretty good. I still prefer FMAB. But the person asking specifically decided to go with FMAB

Crocodile

Original show is clearly better

all of the recommendations for brotherhood over the original fma explain so much about what these threads have become.

You could, but you shouldn't. Brotherhood's early episodes are vastly inferior to the original, and the first series really was great for pretty much the whole run. FMA is just a very well put together show on every level, whereas Brotherhood leaves a lot more to be desired.

You guys mind actually explaining yourselves because aside from the better pacing at the beginning, Lust's character and perhaps the music I don't see how FMA 2003 beats out Brotherhood (and I've never read the manga so I never had a "close to the manga = automatically better" mentality). You guys don't seem to be the type that fawn over something just because its extra "edgy" or what not.

If you're just going to go with Brotherhood, then make that bed and lie in it. Brotherhood completely botches the Nina story compared to the original series, but it's not like you're going to know that if you're watching Brotherhood without having seen the original.

If someone wants to skip over the superior title and go straight to Brotherhood, I'm sure they can manage just fine. Doing otherwise will just make them confused (and probably disappointed in how much less effective the same episodes are in Brotherhood).

Articalys

The only thing I have to say in this debate is that buying the Shamballa movie was a terrible mistake, and I enjoyed getting a chance to see Milos in theaters.

Nina story line in the manga was completely effective with only 1 chapter without any filler padding that the 03 anime added. Its also doesn't get extended with that stupid shit of
tucker surviving and trying to revive his daughter
fuck that shit

Dead

well not really...yet
You guys mind actually explaining yourselves because aside from the better pacing at the beginning, Lust's character and perhaps the music I don't see how FMA 2003 beats out Brotherhood (and I've never read the manga so I never had a "close to the manga = automatically better" mentality). You guys don't seem to be the type that fawn over something just because its extra "edgy" or what not.
The direction, sense of pacing, action, and the way emotions were expressed were far stronger than in Brotherhood. The shows final episode imo was really, really good too. Bittersweet, yet hopeful. The movie isn't even necessary, the shows final episode alone was good enough.

Brotherhood also didn't convince me that the manga storyline was really all that better than the original show, so that aspect didn't even make a big difference to me.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Brotherhood well enough, it had some really strong episodes, but as a whole, the original show is just a lot more satisfying as a complete work.

also, dat rewrite.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Sakura Trick 8

This was basically the cutest fucking thing I've seen in a while.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 21

Poor Yabu, but don't really feel that bad for you.

Wow
what a way to kill off Ito. That came out of nowhere.

They should've left that twist for this episode and not show in previous episodes. Would've been a glorious revel.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 11

Hey guys it's Poptarts Sriracha! Guess what he has in his toaster~!
It's his magic penis.

Hey guys it's Fa Yuiry! She has emotions.

Oh hey guys look at how Emma Sheen forgets momentarily that she's a competent soldier and cocks up a vital mission because [Tomino]!

At least there's a reentry battle, which is hands down always the 2nd coolest kind of fight in Gundam after "Fights that star Ramba Ral/a Gouf."

Hey guys Kacricon is a member of an elite soldier class! Watch as a hilariously rookie mistake gets him killed!

Hey guys remember how Emma spent several episodes on probation as a defector from the EF/Titans forces? NOT BRIGHT NOA. He just got here and you better believe he already has the authority to slap teenage girls upside the head!

Not a bad episode, but the problem is we're going to Earth and Zeta Gundam never recovers from this trip to Earth, since it introduces us to KATZ.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Please do expound on your theory, since it seems so well-developed.
Brotherhood is pretty much Fullmetal Alchemist for babies. That's totally fine, Saturday morning cartoons can be fun sometimes, but the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime elevates the material by leveraging the relationship between the two main characters. Brotherhood is the ideal choice for people who want something hot blooded and dimwitted,
but the dour spin of the original FMA puts a greater emphasis on the emotions of the characters that really pays off.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 11

Hey guys it's Poptarts Sriracha! Guess what he has in his toaster~!
It's his magic penis.

Hey guys it's Fa Yuiry! She has emotions.

Oh hey guys look at how Emma Sheen forgets momentarily that she's a competent soldier and cocks up a vital mission because [Tomino]!

At least there's a reentry battle, which is hands down always the 2nd coolest kind of fight in Gundam after "Fights that star Ramba Ral/a Gouf."

Hey guys Kacricon is a member of an elite soldier class! Watch as a hilariously rookie mistake gets him killed!

Hey guys remember how Emma spent several episodes on probation as a defector from the EF/Titans forces? NOT BRIGHT NOA. He just got here and you better believe he already has the authority to slap teenage girls upside the head!

Not a bad episode, but the problem is we're going to Earth and Zeta Gundam never recovers from this trip to Earth, since it introduces us to KATZ.
Didn't you just watch this like a month or two ago or am I going nuts?

Zeppeli

Banned
Sakura Trick 8

This was basically the cutest fucking thing I've seen in a while.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 21

Poor Yabu, but don't really feel that bad for you.

Wow
what a way to kill off Ito. That came out of nowhere.

They should've left that twist for this episode and not show in previous episodes. Would've been a glorious revel.

8 is the
wedding episode
, right?

It's going to start getting less cute and more uncomfortably drawn out and lewd from here on in.

Nina story line in the manga was completely effective with only 1 chapter without any filler padding that the 03 anime added. Its also doesn't get extended with that stupid shit of
tucker surviving and trying to revive his daughter
fuck that shit

Personally, I found the version from the anime to have a far bigger impact. They expanded on the storyline in ways which made the whole situation even more tragic, and the characters really lived in a more vivid way. The original anime treats the situation by giving a slow buildup and letting the characters experience some happiness, only to take everyone to a place of truly raw pain and creating a very real sense of anger and hurt in the eyes of the viewer. It's far more effective at this than either the manga or Brotherhood, where the whole situation just feels like some quick little tragedy that is promptly forgotten.

There's a lot that goes into it. The pacing and music certainly, but also the overall direction is just worlds beyond Brotherhoodl. FMA was a very nice looking series that just outclass the production of Brotherhood on every level. The storyline also felt more nuanced when it came to the politics and reality of the world, and especially the development of all of the characters. There's a lot of great drama between the characters in the series, and the entire team did a really good job at putting everyone through the ringer. Fullmetal Alchemist was great at taking its main cast and putting them up against one another and seeing where that could take them.

Brotherhood is pretty much Fullmetal Alchemist for babies. That's totally fine, Saturday morning cartoons can be fun sometimes, but the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime elevates the material by leveraging the relationship between the two main characters. Brotherhood is the ideal choice for people who want something hot blooded and dimwitted,
but the dour spin of the original FMA puts a greater emphasis on the emotions of the characters that really pays off.
You've really outdone yourself with this one. Lol.

CorvoSol

Didn't you just watch this like a month or two ago or am I going nuts?

I saw Zeta like, this time last year. I was watching Mobile Suit Gundam a month or so back, though. I'm now watching Zeta in Japanese to see if I can't change my opinion of the show. Currently it's the weak link of the UC Trilogy, and is only better than the filth that is CCA, but I'm giving it a second chance to see if I can't change my opinion of it.

duckroll

I can't speak for them, but personally I felt that the original FMA series captured the tone of the manga a lot better than Brotherhood. It's not just the pacing, but the entire package. The direction, the small ways the characters would react to stuff, etc. I know people aren't fond of the anime original plot line, but Brotherhood's writing isn't exactly a ton better even if it is more faithful to the manga. The entire final arc felt really drawn out, and regardless of what someone might think of the parallel world stuff, I think the original anime nailed the conclusion to Mustang's character in a much better way. It also made the administration under King Bradley much more frightening and had a much stronger impact.

I love the manga, I love the original anime, and I like Brotherhood for what it is, but I think in terms of directing a TV series, the original anime showed much more finesse and creativity than Brotherhood. There was just more energy and a better understanding of how to use the themes and characterizations in the manga in an animated show. Brotherhood felt for the most part as something being done for the sake of pleasing the manga audience with a "faithful" adaptation, with pacing and direction which just isn't as sharp, and writing which is on point when it lifts directly from the manga, but feels weaker immediately when there are any changes made whenever they had to alter things.

cajunator

Banned
Brotherhood is the manga.. the first half of brotherhood is fast paced but only because they were re-telling the evens they already treated in the original FMA anime.

So if you have to watch only one, watch Brotherhood.

Im getting conflicting opinions here so I guess Ill check out a few eps of S1 and see from there.

Articalys

As always, I don't have a ton of confidence when offering my opinion in discussion like these, but...

Maybe another factor is, since FMA 2003 branches off relatively early in the plot, it doesn't grow the larger cast size that the manga/Brotherhood eventually has to deal with, so as a result things stay more focused and on a smaller scale? Or something along those lines...

I can't speak for them, but personally I felt that the original FMA series captured the tone of the manga a lot better than Brotherhood. It's not just the pacing, but the entire package. The direction, the small ways the characters would react to stuff, etc. I know people aren't fond of the anime original plot line, but Brotherhood's writing isn't exactly a ton better even if it is more faithful to the manga. The entire final arc felt really drawn out, and regardless of what someone might think of the parallel world stuff, I think the original anime nailed the conclusion to Mustang's character in a much better way.

What, I'm sorry how was Mustangs character handled better in the end of fma 03? He ends up
running away to hide in a cabin and angst about killing winry's parents, then comes back for the final battle like "meh I got over that" without any satisfying conclusion at all to his arc

And before anyone says to ignore the movie, sorry its part of the total package that is fma 03 and its story.

Syrinx

Magic Knight Rayearth 16

Lafarga's gonna go fuck some shit up, isn't he? That'll be fun Gotta wonder why Hikaru saying "Emeraude-hime" triggered his mentally coming back, but actually seeing her didn't. I'll chalk that up to being right next to Zagato so magic strength and all that.

duckroll

What, I'm sorry how was Mustangs character handled better in the end of fma 03? He ends up
running away to hide in a cabin and angst about killing winry's parents, then comes back for the final battle like "meh I got over that" without any satisfying conclusion at all to his arc

And before anyone says to ignore the movie, sorry its part of the total package that is fma 03 and its story.

But that's not the conclusion of the his character arc. That's how the movie was written so he didn't have to play a large part in it, and he only showed up for fanservice at the end. His character arc was developed and ended in the TV series. I'm not sure why you would argue that.

It's not about ignoring the movie, so much as seeing that the movie really had nothing to do with Mustang. It's not a big deal. I found the way the series handled Mustang to be a more mature form of storytelling about a soldier, and it was more believable and less idealistic than what Brotherhood did. Hence it was more satisfying for me. The fact that the supporting characters don't really have much of a role in the movie doesn't change that at all.

From the New World 22

Is this how the show is gonna be? With every other episode being great while the others are meh?

It's hard to follow up with what Episode 21 did. While that's a plot twist I did not see coming but was in plain view it was well executed. It also made me feel sick to my stomach and it was also hard to accept certain truths about certain characters. Episode 22 was very subdued maybe to let people digest a little longer what happened with episode 21.

Episode 21 is shocking and I am still not sure what I think about it. On one hand it was a brilliant twist. On the other I didn't like the outcome. Which is the point I am sure. The show will leave a lasting impression. The single plot twist can't make up for the episodes upon episodes of aggressive mediocrity but it helps make me feel I didn't waste my time.

Depending on several factors this anime will end with either having a sour taste in my mouth or leaving me only satisfied. At this point I can't see myself being pleased/happy with the outcome.

Anyways, this episodes only purpose was to
start the group on finding the Psycho Breaker (nice name :p)
. Don't know how exciting you can make that but the studio didn't go out of its way to make it exciting. I expect they were focused on probably the next few episodes where I hope crap hits the fan.

But that's not the conclusion of the his character arc. That's how the movie was written so he didn't have to play a large part in it, and he only showed up for fanservice at the end. His character arc was developed and ended in the TV series. I'm not sure why you would argue that.

It's not about ignoring the movie, so much as seeing that the movie really had nothing to do with Mustang. It's not a big deal. I found the way the series handled Mustang to be a more mature form of storytelling about a soldier, and it was more believable and less idealistic than what Brotherhood did. Hence it was more satisfying for me. The fact that the supporting characters don't really have much of a role in the movie doesn't change that at all.

Except I didn't see that at all, the movie seemed to undo any development Mustang had in the series which really isn't much at all. He never once had that conversation with Winry I kept waiting for partially because she too was basically thrown out the window in favor or Rose which was mind numbingly stupid. Mustang is by far the most inconsistent character in fma 03 because he has to balance between how he's written in the stuff they adapt from the manga and the stuff they come up with. One episode he'a super angst the next he serious "im your commander trust me" it gave me huge tonal whip lash as a viewer.

Branduil

The original FMA was really good until we got BONES'd at the end.

duckroll

Except I didn't see that at all, the movie seemed to undo any development Mustang had in the series which really isn't much at all. He never once had that conversation with Winry I kept waiting for partially because she too was basically thrown out the window in favor or Rose which was mind numbingly stupid. Mustang is by far the most inconsistent character in fma 03 because he has to balance between how he's written in the stuff they adapt from the manga and the stuff they come up with. One episode he'a super angst the next he serious "im your commander trust me" it gave me huge tonal whip lash as a viewer.

That's not how I see it at all. Mustang in the original anime was a soldier doing his job who also struggled with his emotions and his responsibilities. We're not really talking about top notch character development here, given how it's a mainstream Saturday afternoon shounen action anime, but I found it compelling enough. Mustang in the manga and in Brotherhood is a little similar on the surface but most of the time is really just the typical responsible adult in a shounen story who is sometimes misunderstood by the main characters. The entire DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY stuff at the end of his character arc was pretty laughable.

CorvoSol

Macross +4

Don't get me wrong, the fight was amazing to watch, but I can't help but feel like it would've been better if

1) This entire scenario wasn't happening because Isamu is being a complete jackass

2) It hadn't been preceded by the impossible scenario of one jackass getting past the most heavily guarded planet in the known reaches of space.

3) Guld had done more things wrong than rip open a shirt. I mean sure, that's jacked up, but for the last 3 episodes Guld has been pretty much the guy who was right, so having to drop this on him to make him look bad comes across as a fairly shallow attempt to somehow mitigate that Isamu is just another awful Macross protagonist.

4)That awkward cable rape wasn't happening at the same time.

As it stands now the only really compelling character is the computer and unless she hijacks the plane (and how are the writers going to resist that?) ain't nothing going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom