• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

They saved the movie (and the two previous recap movies) from being an ultimately pointless money-grabbing exercise!

Indeed, people say that this movie "didn't need to happen" but hell, if it
HAD ended with Homura getting whisked away to Yuri Valhalla then there really was no real point to the movies at all!

YYYYYUP. The idea of:
Homura opposing Madoka
was all the idea of the director Shinbo. Urobuchi had a breakthrough after being told that, and you know the rest.

So in short
Shinbo saved the movie in pre-production!

Articalys

Okay, that's it, getting the hell away from this thread until I've see it. Someone's gonna slip up and forget to spoiler something real soon, or imply too much.

Honestly,
the movie's willingness to take the themes of the original series and turn them on their head was one of the main things I liked about it.

I mean, I can appreciate the idea of doing that from the perspective of them wanting to do something unexpected rather than just resting on their laurels and making a silly fanservice movie (which would have been just as big a betrayal of the original), and I can even sort of appreciate how they came up with something that essentially
destroyed every single memory you could have of the original
, at least from a 'I can't believe they had the balls to do that' point of view. At least, I can feel this way from the same way I feel about the ending to Final Fantasy XIII-2. It's kind of hilarious if you aren't particularly invested in it.

I just don't think it resulted in a particularly good film, or a movie that made sense to have the Madoka name on it. The only way for them to win was to not play. I really can't imagine any additional Madoka project beyond the original 12 episode series that could ever hope to not just be a betrayal of what the original stood for, either in theme or in story terms. Sometimes, less is more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I actually see it as much as anything as being about the horrors of a capitalist system (this might just be the marxist in me making these connections), although that ties in somewhat with the torture that girls go through.

Kyubey shows up and offers contracts to young, unsuspecting people who are promised to be able to achieve all of their dreams and fix their lives, while also doing a job that seems to be good work, only to discover afterwards that they've (literally) sold their souls in the process and found themselves as part of a corrupt system which will consume all of their life and destroy them, turning them into the same thing they're supposed to be fighting while presumably a new generation of unsuspecting girls are drafted into the system. The ending carries such weight because Madoka goes outside of the system set up and fundamentally alters things to keep people from being abused by that system anymore. This makes the show not one about a group of people trying to rebel against a corrupt system, but a show about how you can change things by escaping the entire cycle and altering the entire relationship.

The movie basically comes along and says 'well, none of that actually mattered and
people who try to smash up the system are now the villains who will just try to create an even worse hell
'. I found it to be a betrayal of the core themes of the series; at least the themes that I personally read into it and that spoke most strongly to me.

See, to me, Homura was always the main character of the franchise, so that probably leads me to the my interpretation and reception of the film. The Incubator stuff was a side plot that allowed the conditions of the magical girl parody to exist, but the real meat was Homura and her position as an outside observer.

You might even say that the film is about a girl overcoming her crippling depression and finally setting herself free by choosing to cast it aside entirely, rather than accept it as a condition that she has to live with forever.

So in short
Shinbo saved the movie in pre-production!
Shinbo is godbo.

Kuroko no Basket 2 25

qyeVokZl.jpg

Good end to a fun show. I'll probably get around to reading the manga someday.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kuroko no Basket 2 25

http://i.imgur.com/qyeVokZl.jpg

Good end to a fun show. I'll probably get around to reading the manga someday.
Did he hook up with pink hair girl yet and crush the dreams of all the yaoi fans in Japan? (And DTL)

That's a lie. You can't possibly hold any film from last year up to the same level of regard you have for GRAVITY.
Gravity #1.
Madoka #2.

Oh yeah? Well Gravity was ok at best.

I didn't mean that
You're okay at best!

I forgive you.

jman2050

I just don't think it resulted in a particularly good film, or a movie that made sense to have the Madoka name on it. The only way for them to win was to not play. I really can't imagine any additional Madoka project beyond the original 12 episode series that could ever hope to not just be a betrayal of what the original stood for, either in theme or in story terms. Sometimes, less is more.

That's fair. Honestly one of the first things I thought when I finished watching this was "Hahahahaha GAF is going to hate this movie" so it's not like I wasn't prepared for all this.

I'm inclined not to agree with the sentiment that complete stories should be left "as is". I mean in theory it sounds like the right course but in reality there are numerous cases where an ostensibly "complete" story was extended either cause the author wanted to do more or it was popular enough that people wanted more. That has led to some exceptional (and not so exceptional to be fair) expansions of previously complete material that wouldn't exist if people just decided to leave things alone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's fair. Honestly one of the first things I thought when I finished watching this was "Hahahahaha GAF is going to hate this movie" so it's not like I wasn't prepared for all this.

I'm inclined not to agree with the sentiment that complete stories should be left "as is". I mean in theory it sounds like the right course but in reality there are numerous cases where an ostensibly "complete" story was extended either cause the author wanted to do more or it was popular enough that people wanted more. That has led to some exceptional (and not so exceptional to be fair) expansions of previously complete material that wouldn't exist if people just decided to leave things alone.

This is why I said that Rebellion is what the Evagenlion Rebuild movies wish that they could be. In fact, it makes the Rebuild movies seem like such a waste of time in comparison.

Kansoku

Finished every anime (That I was watching) form the season, so my rankings are:

1. Noragami
The surprise of the season for me. Started it when it was in the middle and didn't expect such fun and such consistency. Great balance of comedy, action, and serious stuff.
2. Inari Konkon
Really sweet and fun anime. It wasn't as great as Noragami, but I had great times with it.
3. Tonari no Seki-kun
In the beginning was thinking that it being a short it would be a detriment to it, but it really worked out pretty well. Like Inari, it's just something fun.
4. Chuunibyou Ren
Aside from the ending and Rikka, it was really fun, but I still like first season more. If only the first season had Shichimiya...
5. Hamatora
Wasted Potential: the Anime.

Over all, 3.4/10.
Just kidding, 6/10

I don't disagree with you. I'm not saying that I think that complete stories should be left as is, as a rule. I just personally think that in the specific case of Madoka and the way the series ended, there was no real way continue it without betraying those themes.

Basically, you have to either put everything in an alternate universe which has none of the appeal of the original, or you have to basically destroy the thematic integrity of the ending by allowing the crippling abuse of the magical girls to go on in some way, with the system persisting in some form. I think Madoka is a pretty specific (although not unique) example, which has less to do with the completeness of the ending, and more to do with the theme pretty much rendering any possible continuation or alternate universe version as a betrayal of the original.

In generalized terms, I have no problem with stories getting continuations, and sometimes it can even lead to something as good or better than the original.

Nisekoi 3

Onodera you are just so cute. And now she knows the truth!! And the truth will set you free. Kind of a few sweet moments between Ichijo and Chitoge. Funny as always. Really liking this show. Every moment is pretty great.

Please don't crash and burn at the end on me. Please. :)

Also I think the
ED might be a little too obvious and may be spoiling the ending
. If that's the case then I already have this ending pegged. :(

Narag

Hyouka 1

Aight, figured it was time. Kinda glad I didn't watch it as it aired under the pretense of some sort of mystery drama. Instead I'm able to approach it as something more character oriented which I'm perfectly fine with, aind, in fact, in the mood for.

Production values are stellar and I'm really liking Oreki so far. Looking forward to the next ep.

The Star Wars prequels expanded on the universe and brought forth a new audience, they are perfect examples of how making more movies can sdsmmdmmsddsdsdaenwndawnen

/stroke

firehawk12

Subete no aware
firehawk thinks the Madoka movie is better than Wolf Children or either Ghibli movie right? Am I remembering this correctly?
Of Madoka, Wind Rises, and Wolf Children, I had the most pure emphatic joy watching Madoka. And I watched all three of those movies twice!

Gotta go with the heart on this one.

The Star Wars prequels expanded on the universe and brought forth a new audience, they are perfect examples of how making more movies can sdsmmdmmsddsdsdaenwndawnen

/stroke
After JJ is done with Star Wars, you'll wish George Lucas was back in charge.

jman2050

/stroke

They expanded the universe and revived interest in the franchise, and provided a fresh platform for works of various mediums (books, video games, TV shows, etc) to spring out of, not to mention various fan works and such. The prequel movies were middling but overall they had a net positive effect on the franchise.

Bet you didn't see that coming!

Theonik

Kaiji 23
Kaiji... Kaiji listen to me. You've won. You have balls of steel. The old man can be a personification of the ultimate piece of shit, but he's right. You are no longer a man who has nothing to lose. Call it quits.
No Kaiji there are too many holes in your plan stahp.
Kaiji staaaaaaaahp.
Zawa Zawa

sonicmj1

Tonari no Seki-kun 12

I thought I'd put the nightmares of that time behind me, but this episode brought it all rushing back. RC driving tests are kind of cheating though, since you don't have to look left and right at all the right times.

Yokoi had the right idea.

They expanded the universe and revived interest in the franchise, and provided a fresh platform for works of various mediums (books, video games, TV shows, etc) to spring out of, not to mention various fan works and such. The prequel movies were middling but overall they had a net positive effect on the franchise.

Bet you didn't see that coming!

God dammit I'm going to start a list of animu enemies, we don't agree on anything. You'll be one of the first on it... right after
the one who is reading this

Kite

I'm 3 episodes behind on Sakura Trick and 5 behind on Magi, and instead of catching up I'm rewatching Cross Game. Dat first episode..

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
In the end, unless you're given the reasoning behind the number, the number itself is not very useful. So why even have a number to begin with?
a score helps people to think about the work as a comprehensive piece, and helps to remove it from a vacuum to help compare and contrast it to other works. numbers are good for thinking.
Okay, that's it, getting the hell away from this thread until I've see it. Someone's gonna slip up and forget to spoiler something real soon, or imply too much.
cakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakeycakey

Kuroko's Basketball 2 Episode 50 [END]

Thankfully the worst game in the anime is finally over. Yosen was all around the least interesting team filled with dull no names, and just action that felt largely different than what Kurobas is supposed to be about though I would be foolish for not acknowledging the glory of
Kuroko finally shooting and doing wondrous things in the game beyond misdirection and Kagami's epic Meteor Jam, that was incredibly hot and stunning

Looking forward to an eventual season 3 someday. I need a Takao Kuroko match, a Kise one as well and more. Favorite part of this season was the Aokaga game while best song is Kuroko's character song for ED 2. 10/10

Will miss Kensuke.
tumblr_n2v2uzQpbN1smj0zjo1_250.png

wonzo

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 13

tonariseki13.jpg

Well, I guess that's that 'till the DVD's come out with the rest of the eps on them. I'm gonna miss this even if I've pretty much read all of it before. :(

hey i never said it was bad , i just said that it wasn't a masterpiece i enjoyed what i read
Declaring Honey & Honey as anything less than a masterpiece is a crime against art.

jman2050

a score helps people to think about the work as a comprehensive piece, and helps to remove it from a vacuum to help compare and contrast it to other works. numbers are good for thinking.

Numbers are a useful tool but, like all tools, can either be misinterpreted or misused.

They also have don't really have a practical purpose in this particular scope if they can't be attached to a discrete measurement and point of reference. So it's good for saying "I like X better than Y" but not much more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What issues?
They ship by Fedex, which sucks. But you have to order 250 bucks at once to get free shipping, is the other.

But Ouran High School Host Club is in 4:3.

:(
Not only did I watch the anime, I watched the jdrama adaptation. lol

You'd watch it all for a puzzle ring though. Damn you, Blizzard, damn you for removing trading.
Diablo III bribery is the new watchbet. lol

Baby steps is the better sports manga so it will hopefully be the better anime too!
Volleyball, yes.
Man, why didn't Crimson Hero ever get an anime? I can take sports if it mashed together with shoujo. lol

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 19

So I diss Zeta a lot and especially the first time through I felt super underwhelmed by what was supposed to be the greatest Gundam ever, but now that I don't have that false illusion going on, I'm actually enjoying Zeta a lot. I'm able to distance myself from the parts I hate and realize that I only hate parts and recognize the good. This Hong Kong arc has been a great example of that. Kamille's time with Four is pretty great, Amuro's time with the White Base crew, especially Mirai at the moment, has really helped me to appreciate him and his whole "can't get over Lalah" noise a lot more. I feel more engaged in what's going on with the Titans and the AEUG, too.

Really, the only complaint I can make about this Arc is that I can't stand Beltorchika like, at all. Her every action is horrible, grating, and borderline insane. That said, I can't help but feel that that was what Tomino was going for with her character. Why he went there I'll never really know, and she'll forever remain an awful character, but the fact remains I kind of wonder whether or not she isn't awful by intent. No wonder Amuro isn't with her by the time CCA rolls around, though.

That said, I really am enjoying Zeta a lot more this time around, and if this pans out I may consider rewatching other shows I hated to see if I cannot change my opinion of them and take back some of the horrid stuff I said about them in the future.

Jarmel

Banned
I think the Madoka movie would have worked better as a second season like the tv anime is way superior than the two recap movies. Too much stuff happened in a short time.

Though the movie is basicaly perfect cockteasing in several ways.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

If they had more time to flesh stuff out, I think it would have worked as an amazing sequel TV series. It would have been able to build more atmosphere at the beginning and also develop Homura more. The ideas behind the movie are great, they just didn't have enough time.

cajunator

Banned
They ship by Fedex, which sucks. But you have to order 250 bucks at once to get free shipping, is the other.

Not only did I watch the anime, I watched the jdrama adaptation. lol

Diablo III bribery is the new watchbet. lol

Man, why didn't Crimson Hero ever get an anime? I can take sports if it mashed together with shoujo. lol

So thats why I get free shipping a lot lol.

Silver Spoon S2 11

I am pleasantly pleased with where they decided to end the adaptation of this. A lot better place than cutting it off right at the seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom