• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading PshycoNinja's impressions are painful because I don't want to reply and make fun of him, but it becomes more and more obvious as he progresses through the show that he's the sort of audience cultivated by modern TV and mainstream entertainment, wanting to be spoon fed stuff and actually desiring narratives which are formulaic so they can be figured out easily and all fit together to "make sense", and teased with cheap clues which come into play later so the viewer can feel smarter about "seeing it coming" and so on.

Whoops. I guess I insulted him after all. I guess that's what an entire generation of shitty TV and crappy videogames does to people. :(
One of the reason i think from the new world is great is because it's that divisive among many people.
I liked it but some people had so many different expectations about the show considering some parts of it that when the show actually did something unusual for such type of series it didn't register well with them.
I understand that's a matter of taste but it's too bad
You're Under Arrest is just the best.

4 seasons + oavs and i'm still not satisfied ...too bad the goofy attitude of some parts of the show would be harder to sell these days.

i'll cherish my dvds forever !

jgminto

Hunter x Hunter 35

ib1bHKcAHFlsHQ.png

Hisoka is like if Kira and Dio were one person and also a clown.

Everyone is just a fucking badass in this show.

cajunator

Banned
One of the reason i think from the new world is great is because it's that divisive among many people.
I liked it but some people had so many different expectations about the show considering some parts of it that when the show actually did something unusual for such type of series it didn't register well with them.
I understand that's a matter of taste but it's too bad

4 seasons + oavs and i'm still not satisfied ...too bad the goofy attitude of some parts of the show would be harder to sell these days.

i'll cherish my dvds forever !

They could make the show forever and Id follow it like some follow One Piece or Fairy Tail.
I have everything that got released here and yeah its never enough.

I miss DVD 10 and 11 of the first season :

Kingdom Hearts

Was it? I believe it. Love Kingdom Hearts.

Anyways... anime... I hope you guys liked From the New World Review. Like to know what you guys think of the show too. Want to see how my opinion bounces of everyone else.

Narag

I enjoyed it when I was like in my awkward teens when it came out. Give me a break, if it actually was bad then I wouldn't know.

I bet all of you loved Space Jam when you were kids as well. TRY WATCHING IT AGAIN.

I did recently. As it was when I was a kid, Bill Murray carries that movie.

duckroll

You think it might be G's Reconquista or Gundam The Origin? or something else entirely?

Pretty much both are all but confirmed to be revealed this week. The artist/character design Kenichi Yoshida said last week at the European con he's at that there would be news about G-Reko this week, and this month's Gundam Ace will have an update on the Origin anime as part of a big 35th Anniversary news coverage.

There might be even more announcements though. We'll find out tomorrow.

Oh damn. I did say that. Lol.

Is memory loss another side effect of watching too much Inuyasha/Bleach/Naruto? :(

cnet128

Banned
Got to the :cnet post

I have no comments because I'm not going to get banned

I do not approve of these posts, because I'm pretty sure all the things that I got SOS'd for were about incest, and while I enjoy incest plots sometimes and am willing to defend them, I certainly wouldn't say they're my "thing" that I would want to be identified with =/

From the New World Series Review

[snip]

So I've been following your impressions to this series, and I must admit I was quite baffled by your reactions to some of the events.

Mostly I was taken aback by your obsession with wanting the show to explain itself. Which could be somewhat understandable in the very early episodes where the show makes a point of not telling you anything in order to build up the sense of mystery and foreboding "wrongness"...but then there was the massive infodump in episode 4. I was expecting you to react positively to that episode, since exposition seemed to be what you were after, and that episode provides more than enough information to get a good feel for why this world is the way it is. So I was pretty shocked when you seemed to instead have the opposite reaction, and chose that episode to complain about the show not explaining anything. That's just bizarre to me.

The whole point of the series was how it slowly built up a picture of how this very alien (from our perspective) society works and why it has to be the way it is, through the eyes of a group of children who are growing into adults and slowly making these same discoveries for themselves, starting to question their whole world. But it seemed from your reactions that you wanted nothing to happen without the how and why being immediately clear, and blamed the show for "bad storytelling" whenever it left anything ambiguous for the viewer to think about. I don't think that's the right way to look at this kind of show at all.

I also found it a little odd just how badly you reacted to the relationship aspects. I personally thought the show did a great job of showing a believable culture that's quite different from our own but still not too difficult to understand. After the first timeskip, I found the show established quite quickly - by showing, not telling - that there was a cultural norm in this society of starting out by forming "safer" homosexual relationships during the early teenage years, somewhere between friendship and true romance, before moving on to more serious heterosexual relationships once they were mature enough to start looking for life partners.

This seemed like a natural extension of the society's genetic predisposition to sexual experimentation for stress relief purposes that had already been established in the earlier episodes, as well as making a lot of sense with the fact that their society was designed in all aspects to promote harmony and avoid stress in general. After all, what could be more stressful than trying to rush straight into serious relationships as teenagers before you're ready? It makes much more sense in a way to build up to that by "practicing" with quasi-relationships that are just an extension of existing friendships before moving on to the real thing. And of course, this teenage time period was where the show really started to explore the dangers that could ensue if a person did become mentally unstable, so it slotted in nicely to the overall narrative.

plus y'know, yuri is just really hawt

...Ah well, I guess in the end maybe this just wasn't really the kind of series for you. You did, however, manage to identify the best episode (19), so that's something =p

cajunator

Banned
Oh damn. I did say that. Lol.

At least I had the sense to put P4 on the list.

Seems like I was swept up in the E3 hype. What I meant to say at the time (I hope) was that it has the potential to be one of the best casts in FF. Wonder what that third photo was?...

One thing to understand on Neogaf. Never say something and deny it later, because some Gaffers are human data archives.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
In 24 hours, Sunrise will have revealed the future of Gundam for the next year or so. I hope I'm a happy duck and not a sad empty shell of a man after that!

You're already a sad empty shell of a man after reading psycho's posts though!!

Theonik

http://i.minus.com/iW7X9njGpPXhP.gif

You're working hard to earn a spot on my list tonight.
He hasn't already?

Jesus I'm making enemies out of everybody on AnimeGAF due to my outspoken taste and rebellious attitude. If this were a shoujo I'd get all the bitches
Putting a pin on your seat as we speak.

Space Jam is still great.
You are just saying that because of lola bunny.

April for Magical Girl HellFun Month
I'd be maybe down.

Mr.Jeff

No, I think he has what it takes to watch one of them. I'm not suggesting like... Magical Hell, which is what I'm in.

The more you mention Magical Hell, the more I start imaging a series where the various devils of hell are actually magical girls.
Cure Lucifer!
Pretty Girl Beelzebub!
Sailor Baphomet!

In 24 hours, Sunrise will have revealed the future of Gundam for the next year or so. I hope I'm a happy duck and not a sad empty shell of a man after that!
Well you'll either get GBF season 2 or you'll get an all new property featuring inexplicably angsty teenagers piloting robots for no reasons while the same stupid argument continues on between Earth vs the Colonies and/or humans versus newtypes.

Also, Happy Birthday Faridmon (19th)

Jintor

The more you mention Magical Hell, the more I start imaging a series where the various devils of hell are actually magical girls.
Cure Lucifer!
Pretty Girl Beelzebub!
Sailor Baphomet!

Let's combine this with the manga series I was half-plotting the other day and see where it takes us

I hope Gundam Origin (yuki kaji as kai) and/or an original one with character designs by Yun Kōga, and story penned by the team behind Buddy Complex.

Theonik

Let's combine this with the manga series I was half-plotting the other day and see where it takes us
Fuck this would own so hard. I can picture it now. The other demons of hell come to get her back thinking she was trapped by this mortal and she henshins into her demon form to save him. Drop the cure though.

cajunator

Banned
Fuck this would own so hard. I can picture it now. The other demons of hell come to get her back thinking she was trapped by this mortal and she henshins into her demon form to save him. Drop the cure though.

Well theres already those figurines of the seven sins..

Jintor

I'm trying to decide if the 'sister' is aware she's the devil, or if only the henshin form is.

Probably more fun if the 'sister' is aware of it

Theonik

I'm trying to decide if the 'sister' is aware she's the devil, or if only the henshin form is.

Probably more fun if the 'sister' is aware of it
Being aware makes it more fun in terms of teasing. You could also combine the two so let's say the sister form is real, but she has a split personality and she switches to devil form when they are alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom