• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Doremi is in my book of "stuff that's just not for me and not worth opinionating on"

I'm very interested in watching Princess Tutu though. The what I expected what I got picture intrigues me.

I'll definitely check that out later.

I'm almost 20 episodes in and the exact opposite of that picture is the truth. Tutu is another show everyone talked up waaaay too much.

I'm almost 20 episodes in and the exact opposite of that picture is the truth. Tutu is another show everyone talked up waaaay too much.

So I guess I can throw my expectations of ninjas playing electric guitars out the window then :(

princesstutu2.jpg

Doremi is in my book of "stuff that's just not for me and not worth opinionating on"

I'm very interested in watching Princess Tutu though. The what I expected what I got picture intrigues me.

I'll definitely check that out later.

Gotta coin in with Corvo. It's pretty much the opposite of what I expected.

However, I recall being told that the ending is what made it for people, and part of me is feeling like "the ending is part of that because they're glad it's over???

I don't know. I like it, but not to the extent people make it out to be. Pretty much ran into that problem with CCS as well.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Doremi is a much better show than Tutu, even if it's less crazy or meta. It also defies appearances so summarily rejecting it on such grounds is ill advised.

CorvoSol

So I guess I can throw my expectations of ninjas playing electric guitars out the window then :(

Well i'm almost done with it and so far nada.

Gotta coin in with Corvo. It's pretty much the opposite of what I expected.

However, I recall being told that the ending is what made it for people, and part of me is feeling like "the ending is part of that because they're glad it's over???

I don't know. I like it, but not to the extent people make it out to be. Pretty much ran into that problem with CCS as well.

Yeah i don't dislike it, but it sure isn't what i expected based on that image.

Doremi is a much better show than Tutu, even if it's less crazy or meta. It also defies appearances so summarily rejecting it on such grounds is ill advised.

I try not to do that often.

Princess Tutu 19

NOT ENOUGH LOVE, STRANGER

Something about expectations actually meeting, more suffering moe from Rue to the point that
Mytho is attempting to write her out of the story. gawd damn

Clearly attempting to shift love here or something.

WHY DO I LIKE READING!? I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Log Horizon ~24

Oh man that guy is so boned! And yeah this has to get a second season as this is clearly not even heading for an ending point just a "stop" where I imagine S2/E1 or episode 26 will just pick right back up.

Princess Tutu 20

READING AND WRITING WHAT'S NEXT, ARITHMETIC

EDUCATION IS COOL KIDS EVEN WHEN IT'S AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHERS FEELINGS!

BECAUSE REMEMBER! WRITING IS A DANGEROUS THING

K-On! 06

It's finally show-time.

School festival and the very first live performance. Too bad everybody else is too busy to practice at first which makes Mio nervous. Mugi shows off her strength while carrying gear, Miss Yamanaka her costume making skills, and Mio her... rice bowl.

Another little emotional bit just before the performance in this episode. Yui still got a hoarse voice during the singing which is a nice touch. Instead of just using the normal recording and such.

Alright so from the fall the only anime I really enjoyed that I will catch up on for sure are Phi Brain S3 and Gundam Build Fighters. Everything else I'll just have to rewatch the first episode again because that's all I saw for most of them (Beyond the Boundary, Tokyo Ravens, Strike the Blood, etc). The only winter anime I need to catch up on is Silver Spoon not super interested in the Nobunaga anime though I may check them out.

Z/X Ignition looks cool is anyone watching that what's it about?

cajunator

Banned
Leading to a percentage of the population literally saying: "the Devil is mai waifu".

Technically wasnt Maoyuu Maou Yuusha about the devil waifu?
And Yuushibu had the daughter of the devil, Fino.

So will there be a new thread for Spring 2014? I'm not sure how this works.

It basically ends when the first show of the season begins to air. Wherever it is.

Thats...wow.
I like the blue haired girl.

Well thats interesting..Maybe I should draw my interpretation of genderbent mahou shoujo Link lol. It would be cuter than that.
I have several other projects Im working on though.

Dang... Tsuritama good stuff

thanks for the recommendation Cajunator

Any time! I love to push Tsuritama. Its quite great.

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic 09

Tessa checks on some shady guy suspected of terrorism. I guess the Patriot act was in place here. The bad guys try to rescue their comrade but Tessa and Sousuke get him to a safehouse where they will probably comically beat the shit out of him and get some information.

Defuser

Looking at Ryou Hirohashi wiki page lead me to relistening to of her song she did for the Bamboo Blade ED Star Rise
Good god, I'm such a sucker for retro groove funk music especially in jpop. Makes me glad Japan today still includes instrumental versions of their songs in CDs.

Every time I see Z/X Ignition I confuse it with TM Revolution, or whoever that was that did the Destiny OPs.
It was T.M.Revolution.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Technically wasnt Maoyuu Maou Yuusha about the devil waifu?
And Yuushibu had the daughter of the devil, Fino.
Wasn't the first one just queen of the demon world rather than The Devil/Satan/Lucifer. Can't comment on the second as i haven't seen/read it but Wikipedia uses demon rather than devil.

Vito

Banned
Nothing new, but a better look at the Tokyo Ghoul key visual, I suppose there will be a PV at Anime Japan, followed by a fight to the death who gets to copy paste the youtube link on NeoGAF when it shows up.

Midonin

Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iroha. 10 + Final Thoughts

I picked up this show knowing it would take the same place, cover some of the same themes that Gingitsune did during the previous season. While there are quite a few similarities, this one was a lot cuter, and because of that I may like it a little more. Gingitsune leaned heavier on the spiritual side of things, while this one felt more like it was about the relationship between gods and humans. Though serialized in a seinen magazine, I can always appreciate a male-focused romance with a female protagonist. It's not a super common combination, but when it's used, it can produce something sweet.

Inari was super adorable, and her circle of friends were fun to watch. Uka, with her love of visual novels, was also a fun take on the god concept. The balance between school and the Celestial Planes was well done. I didn't mind the Touka/Uka romance, but it's not the first thing I'd talk about when discussing the series.

A shame Inari had to sacrifice her power in order to bring some closure to the season. She may get it back somehow if a second season does happen, but this feels sort of conclusive.
One of the surprises of the season, with some really good displays of friendship, nice use of supernatural powers, even the comedy got a few laughs. Enjoyable Shinto-themed show.

cajunator

Banned
Wasn't the first one just queen of the demon world rather than The Devil/Satan/Lucifer. Can't comment on the second as i haven't seen/read it but Wikipedia uses demon rather than devil.

I guess in technical terms not but close enough. Fino is the daughter of the dark lord or whatever. Cutest demon ever.

Looking at Ryou Hirohashi wiki page lead me to relistening to of her song she did for the Bamboo Blade ED Star Rise
Good god, I'm such a sucker for retro psychedelic groove funk music especially in jpop. Makes me glad Japan today still includes instrumental versions of their songs in CDs.

It was T.M.Revolution.

Bamboo Blade is surprisingly good too.

cajunator

Banned

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic 09

Tessa checks on some shady guy suspected of terrorism. I guess the Patriot act was in place here. The bad guys try to rescue their comrade but Tessa and Sousuke get him to a safehouse where they will probably comically beat the shit out of him and get some information.

Mythril is a private, mercenary, military corporation. The exact legality of anything they do ever is highly questionable. And unlike 00's Celestial Being, the world powers pose a huge threat to them.

cajunator

Banned
Mythril is a private, mercenary, military corporation. The exact legality of anything they do ever is highly questionable. And unlike 00's Celestial Being, the world powers pose a huge threat to them.

It literally took me a day to watch an episode. thats how terrible my attention span is. Its quite remarkable.

Jex

Reading PshycoNinja's impressions are painful because I don't want to reply and make fun of him, but it becomes more and more obvious as he progresses through the show that he's the sort of audience cultivated by modern TV and mainstream entertainment, wanting to be spoon fed stuff and actually desiring narratives which are formulaic so they can be figured out easily and all fit together to "make sense", and teased with cheap clues which come into play later so the viewer can feel smarter about "seeing it coming" and so on.

Whoops. I guess I insulted him after all. I guess that's what an entire generation of shitty TV and crappy videogames does to people. :(

Man, dickroll really out in full force!

From The New World Super Spoilers

Edit: Also lol on the show going into this long explanation about how
Monster Rats maybe humans. Like we didn't get the symbolism in the earlier episodes when they torched Monster Rats and before they die Saki saw an out line of a human body

This isn't meant to be insulting, but I believe you may have literally missed the point of that entire scene. The reasoning behind it was
that due to the structure of society, sociatial norms, the re-writing/destruction/censoring of history and the mental conditioning imposed upon all humans people are literally wired, on a fundamental level, to see monster rats as creatures to be enslaved. If anyone discovered the truth society would fall apart and no-one would be able to control the monster rats anymore, therefore it's extremely difficult for anyone to even have these radical thoughts.

CorvoSol

It literally took me a day to watch an episode. thats how terrible my attention span is. Its quite remarkable.

That's life. I'm only watching Tutu as quickly as I am because of Kirby. If Kirby wasn't keeping up I don't think I would at all, haha. Having someone watch something with you is a great motivator, I think.

I thought I was pretty nice in my view of the show to be perfectly honest. It's regrettable that people have taken my standoffness of the show as a sign of my intelligence or what have you. I just didn't like the pacing of the show and to be honest Branduil is right, I was expecting something else. I don't mind being left in the dark in shows. The shows pacing was bad, the ending was anti-climatic and some of the episodes it didn't build tension as well as it should have. Like I said before it wasn't a bad show. I just wish more episodes were like episodes 14, 19 and 21.

Midonin

Maken-Ki! Two 10 + Final Thoughts

This is the first anime in my mind that I can say I watched because of the staff more than the content. Hiraku Kaneko and Akio Takami is a godly combination for eros - everything's filled out, and the attention to detail is fantastic. The series itself was entirely episodic, and, playing within TV broadcast regulations, not as lewd as I know either of them have gotten in the past. Maybe that's what the video release extras are for.

But I didn't dislike it. I got to see more of Chacha, and having a story set in the past for the final episode was a good way to go about things. The catgirl and cosplay episodes were also a lot of fun. I came to watch it for the boobs, and it delivered on exactly that. And it's the first (and only?) time I've seen a Downfall parody in anime.

It was honest in its lewdness, and I can respect that.

Man, dickroll really out in full force!

From The New World Super Spoilers

This isn't meant to be insulting, but I believe you may have literally missed the point of that entire scene. The reasoning behind it was
that due to the structure of society, sociatial norms, the re-writing/destruction/censoring of history and the mental conditioning imposed upon all humans people are literally wired, on a fundamental level, to see monster rats as creatures to be enslaved. If anyone discovered the truth society would fall apart and no-one would be able to control the monster rats anymore, therefore it's extremely difficult for anyone to even have these radical thoughts.

I understood it I was just under the impression
Saki already knew that from an earlier age. I can see the ramifications this would have on the whole of their society. And I can also understand sharing this with Satoru. But they just spent a long time in the last episode talking about that, maybe to accentuate it's importance but I really wish they spent more time making the final confrontation so anti-climatic
. It's the same way I felt with Soul Eaters end.

And don't worry I wasn't insulted in the slightest. I don't mind people trying to shed light on things that I might have missed but I don't feel I really "missed" anything. Rather I am puzzled and the glossing over of things. People still haven't explained to me what exactly was the
blue beam that shot out of one of the Elders in episode 19(?) and a blue woman spirit thing flew out
. No one has explained that so if you would kindly do so that would be great.

Plus at this point I've had so many backhanded comments thrown at me about the show that I really don't mind. If people want to use me as a meat shield to hurl insults at because I didn't "get" the shows brilliance that's fine. People aren't going to agree on things. It's the basis of message boards and reviews. I certainly wished I liked it more. But I didn't.

Hey guys, I've never watched anime in my entire life and my friend recommended me a thing called Sword Art Online. According to him it's the best show in the universe and I should watch it.

I watched the first 15 minutes and wtf is this? Should I keep going or just put it down?

CorvoSol

Hey guys, I've never watched anime in my entire life and my friend recommended me a thing called Sword Art Online. According to him it's the best show in the universe and I should watch it.

I watched the first 15 minutes and wtf is this? Should I keep going or just put it down?

Your friend lied to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom