• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're honestly hoping the writing is going to be better, I would say bail ship. Shirou is Shirou, but I'm sure he'll be better than the Deen version and probably closer to the VN version. if you hate some of his personality characteristics, I doubt much of that will change.

He honestly isn't that bad of a lead and compared to 90% of anime leads, he's a vast improvement on the characterization level.

My issues with the VN version is that his character growth is so inconsistent. I guess that's what happens with what amounts to a VN with harem, but eh. His 'I have to be a hero' attitude seems forced, unlike Kiritsugu who we actually see why he has that attitude. I also personally can't stand the reverse damsel in distress trope, and in at least one of the VN paths he becomes overpowered out of nowhere.

His character design is also unappealing. Again compared to Kiritsugu who was this freaking awesome looking batman assassin dude. I'm going to watch with hopes that yes, it's closer to VN vs the anime version. My biggest hope is that they keep the harem/school life comedy aspect out of it and make it closer to FZ in tone.

duckroll

Magi S2 - Episode 24

iWqTHHfNZeQL.gif

Well the production seems to still suffer from incomplete work, but at least they brought on some pretty strong talent for the final push. The action, art, and animation is definitely a step up from the last bunch of episodes which looked pretty dreadful. There's a lot more effort here, even though some of it isn't quite polished. Some pretty exciting stuff, and really nice effects. Not much more I can ask for considering it was a whole episode of tacky goofy characters in stupid costumes spamming "ultimate" attacks on a giant humanoid monster which cannot die. Lots of shounen shouting. Lots of "OH NO HOW CAN WE WIN?!". Etc.

Shounen to the max. More enjoyable than reading the manga part of this art though, since pure mindless action is at least more interesting when its animated well. :p

Link Man

Banned
Galaxy Express 999 ep.3

The first half of the episode was definitely stronger than the second half. This show strongly reminds me of the original Star Trek series, in that it embraces the strange and unknown and throws out any semblance of believability, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store in the coming episodes.

Mr.Jeff

Ryoko Yakushiji's Strange Case Files 1
It's very LN/Anime-ish, but it's also a somewhat interesting crime drama, so I'll stick with it for a bit.

Anybody else ever seen or heard of this thing? The opening credits were a sort of nifty homage to retro James Bond stuff.
I watched it back when it was airing. I originall expected a more grounded detective series but it starts going supernatural a bit more along the way.

They try and build the male character up during the course of the show to try and match Ryoko's fairly overwhelming personality but ultimately he still ends up feeling a bit of a weakling at the end.

It's mostly fairly consistent though so if you like what you see now, the rest might be worth it.

Tankwando? Why not Panzerfahren?!

Reap you. You won't regret this though. Besides the feeling of emptyness when it's over. Also what do you think about the remixes of army marching songs? I always thought it was a nice touch.
- Because that's what the subtitles call it! Although both "Tankery" and "Tankwondo" are both really shit names.

- Quite like the military sounding tracks actually. They stand out in a nice way without being overwhelming to what's happening.

I think the two things that struck me about it the most was that the characters and their actions are all very expressive in their body language and the way they move.
The other is that despite the ludicrous premise, it goes into it 100% and treats the tank fights in a very competent way which gives it really weight.
Something like Strike Witches would be a different story if they treated the aerial combat in a less shounen style of "overpower your enemies through guts and overwhelming force" and more with actual thought.

Buddy Complex 12

Oh what a cop-out.
brain wash love interest for the sake of drama
like we haven't seen that before.As to the rest of the episode it looks like what's-his-face has always had feelings for Hina. I mean it was obvious from the start but the fact
he forcefully kisses her and she's just disgusted
means that at least they weren't a thing.

Then we have Aoba and Dio getting closer. I'm sure DTL approves. Nothing much happened actually besides what I've discussed. The thing about halfway points is that usually you want a change in the status quo. From the preview it seems that
Hina regains her memory and looks fondly at Aoba. Either she's about to die or he brings her with them. Probably the latter considering time loop and the fact she has nothing else to stay for with Zogilia
. Oh well next week this ends.

Witchcraft Works 12: End

I came in late to the show but it grew on me. Will definitely go to the manga to continue the story.

phaze

Fun fact:
episode 19 aired on Mother's Day weekend.

hah That's some quality trolling.

Fate\Zero 20-21

o_O

Kariya ...

y0vW5Cb.jpg

My feels have been under an unrelenting assault this past 5 episodes. Loving the show
but as a member of #TeamKariya this turn of events sucks.

RIP Aoi. No decent person left to root for.

Theonik

- Because that's what the subtitles call it! Although both "Tankery" and "Tankwondo" are both really shit names.

- Quite like the military sounding tracks actually. They stand out in a nice way without being overwhelming to what's happening.

I think the two things that struck me about it the most was that the characters and their actions are all very expressive in their body language and the way they move.
The other is that despite the ludicrous premise, it goes into it 100% and treats the tank fights in a very competent way which gives it really weight.
Something like Strike Witches would be a different story if they treated the aerial combat in a less shounen style of "overpower your enemies through guts and overwhelming force" and more with actual thought.
-I was suggestion you get better subs that call it Panzerfahren.

-That's because a lot of them ARE military tracks. I can't spoil some of the later ones. The ones they did for the last school were very well done though.
From what you've seen so far you should have recognised this.

On the Strike Witches comment, I can agree to an extent. Though the decision to set it in an alternative WWII setting with aliens does kind of limit what they can do in terms of the buttles.

Gbraga

Is No-rin ending this week too? I don't think I can handle losing Benio-sama, Kobeni, Ringo, Satsuki, Nonon, Haruka and Mitsuki on the same week.

My heart will probably stop.

LOVE IS OVER TT_TT

Pilot's Goodbye My Lover Song 12

So well. Seems like today's theme for the currently airing anime is to
separate lovers either mentally or physically
. But unlike with BC, it looks like this show will end next week with at least a bittersweet ending.
I hope the one more sacrifice line meant that claire would have to sacrifice her happiness/staying there and not a life. Because if so that already happened. And Ignacio finally started calling Kal-El big brother, which is nice as it means he finally acknowledges him. Lastly we have the little sister, who apparently had romantic feelings for Superman. I was hoping the banter they had was just between siblings but apparently in anime you can't have step siblings around the same age without feelings

Looking forward to the next and final episode.

Monogatari Season 2

Finally had time to watch and I really enjoyed this season. Also it was quite refreshing other characters than Koyomi could stand in the spotlight, shedding lots of details on their background and emotions.

Tsubasa Tiger

Gave a lot of insight on Hanekawa's mind and her relation with
the sawari neko, as well as her ability to summong powerful apparitions
though I do wish the
whole situation could have been resolved without Koyomi
. Also it felt super weird to see Senjougahara exhibit normal emotions when finding
Hanekawa in the school

Mayoi Jiangshi

The whole
time trip thing
was a tad classic, but they still managed to tie the whole thing quite well. Not the strongest chapter of the season but it's redeemed by
adult Hachikuji :D
. It was also quite interesting to see how
Shinobu would react if Koyomi died.

Nadeko Medusa

For me Nadeko always was a weak character, maybe because of the forced swimsuit scenes in the first season and her lack of expression, so it was nice to
see the school scene where all her emotions are released on both the teacher and her classmates.
. I'd like to know though how
Senjougahara knew about the whole situation, she explains to Kaiki in the last chapter that she didn't know anything about the whole affair yet she manages to call at the right time and speaks like she knew everything that was happening.

Shinobu Time

Nice bit of history on Shinobu, and though I liked
Mayoi as a character, I can understand why they'd want some closure for her. It's true that she had lost her reason to stay once they guided her to her mom's house and as such became just a support character that was here just for fanservice. I still felt super sad though with the farewell scene.

Hitagi End

I didn't expect the whole final arc to be on Kaiki. Overall a I really liked this chapter and the whole
investigation part that uses his skills as a con artist. Somehow after seeing this arc it was hard for me to hate the guy, even though his way to make a living is kinda despicable it feels like deep down he is not as bad as he looks. The final scene in particular felt kinda wrong, if that's really how he dies.

CorvoSol

I watched it back when it was airing. I originall expected a more grounded detective series but it starts going supernatural a bit more along the way.

They try and build the male character up during the course of the show to try and match Ryoko's fairly overwhelming personality but ultimately he still ends up feeling a bit of a weakling at the end.

It's mostly fairly consistent though so if you like what you see now, the rest might be worth it.

I'll watch a few more and then decide.

Defuser

Noragami ep 12 final
That is one good fight between Yato and Rabo with predictable cliches but enjoyable nonetheless. Quite good for an anime original end.

Oh please oh please oh please let the BD/DVD sales be good in other for Noragami to have a season 2. I would be great to see the Bishamon arc gets animated.

Is F/Z Rider--->F/SN Rider the biggest downgrade of all time?

Actually? Yes. Assassin was pretty sweet aesthetically for FZ as well tbh. Saber is well the same saber. Archer, for those familiar with both, is not an issue. Lancer is all down to preference and depending on where they go with FSN's, I could like him just as much. Caster I also liked better in FZ but that's cause he's so batshit insane, while FSN's is more calculating. And Rider. There is no excuse for such a shit character. Rider in FZ was the fantasy of every sex.

Midonin

SoniAni 12 + Final Thoughts

The amount of these kinds of shows - the ones I consider my favorite - have been in short supply since last summer, so I'm happy when one comes along. I wasn't sure what to expect from this series, but it hit a perfect balance of elements that made it one of my favorites of the season. Half the time, it was a heartwarming daily life show. Half the time, it was erotic. And the third half of the time, it was all about the music. When you can go from a zombie cruise to a travelogue in the span of a week, the closest thing it brings to mind is a different take on Mayoi Neko Overrun.

I also love that it tied into how I was first introduced to Sonico - Axanael, my favorite visual novel. It had a good mix of Akiba culture and murder mystery, and while the latter half never factored into this series, I appreciate the cameos by Ena and by Ena and Suzu's father Heiji in the finale. And of course, Fuuri and Suzu being major players throughout the series. Long stretches of silence, mostly focused on Sonico and the atmosphere - I never saw any big errors in the animation, and even the CGI wasn't too bad. The sheer amount of music the show produced/reappropriated from other sources (like "Passion Rocket" this week) made it a favorite. The OP is surprisingly catchy.

It's probably the happiest, cutest Nitro+ project that will ever make it on TV. Definitely not for everybody, but it's right in line with my tastes. Music, cuteness, fanservice, tie-ins to other things and a lovable cast. I'm glad I started my week off with this show every Monday.

Jarmel

Banned
Actually? Yes. Assassin was pretty sweet aesthetically for FZ as well tbh. Saber is well the same saber. Archer, for those familiar with both, is not an issue. Lancer is all down to preference and depending on where they go with FSN's, I could like him just as much. Caster I also liked better in FZ but that's cause he's so batshit insane, while FSN's is more calculating. And Rider. There is no excuse for such a shit character. Rider in FZ was the fantasy of every sex.

FSN Assassin>>>FZ Assassin

Jarmel

Banned
I'm curious why do you like such a generic looking samurai, which is not the first thing one thinks of when you hear 'assassin', to a tribe of skull wearing african assassins?

A group of assassins who repeatedly get
bodied in minutes without doing an ounce of damage or even putting up a semblance of a good fight?

A group of assassins who repeatedly get
bodied in minutes without doing an ounce of damage or even putting up a semblance of a good fight?

The whole point of the assassin, if I recall correctly, is to never go for a direct fight. The class is designed to be the same as any other assassin irl would be. Closer to Kiritsugu never going to fights.
they were from the get-go planned to be disposable. They put them in direct fights over and over again. They were not being used properly
. The FSN one puts up a fight because it's not a traditional assassin. At that point it's just another swordmaster.

F/Z Assassin had a much better design than the boring F/SN one.

Yeah that's my main point of choosing one over the other.

Taruranto

Violinist of Hamelin #2

f56sR8p.jpg

... doesn't wear any pants.

Dunno, it's not exactly clicking with me. I should like the setting, but I find these characters boring at best.

I wonder if they're gonna go for one of the waifu paths in Ufotable's version. Saber's was the most emotional and probably the most sad ending-wise (if you don't count the extended ending from the PS2 version), so I could see it going in here. Rin's path was pretty standard anime tsundere ojousama. And what's her face had the happiest ending I guess.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Violinist of Hamelin #2

f56sR8p.jpg

... doesn't wear any pants.

Dunno, it's not exactly clicking with me. I should like the setting, but I find these characters boring at best.
I wish I could give you a timeframe so you know what to look for, but it's been years. There's a lot more to the show than it seems at first.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighter Episode 24:

The problem of basing your series around the concept of plastic models is that when you try to get super serious you just look overwrought and ridiculous. Even Yu-Gi-Oh! knew this and tacked on some real stakes to the proceedings.
Also, aside from the arena change how exactly was Meijin cheating? Are things like ruthless aggression and targeting joints and broken parts illegal? That aside I rather liked the final battle, well, I too will call bullshit on half the moves Star Build Strike were pulling. Indeed, this battle was shoehorned into the whole heroic template since I am pretty such Build Strike was down for long enough for Exia to be declared the victor. Of course since this is a final battle new moves are produced. Indeed we also get the requisite new final move to finish the bout. Ho, right, special mention to the soundtrack, really made the battle come alive. As far as the AILEUMS! subplot kicking into overdrive at the end, all I can say is no, sir, I do not like it.

Articalys

Super Sonico ep.12

Now that's how you do a great slice-of-life finale. I know that Sonico had a bit of characterization before this series, but I'm still amazed that they managed to produce a wholly enjoyable SOL show based mainly on a company mascot.

Pilot's Love Song ep.12

So, uh... this isn't actually over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom