• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Toradora 4

ibfrdllLtDEYsO.jpg

Taiga's starting to grow on me.

wonzo

Banned
Nandaka Velonica 1
The children's anime revolves around Velonica, a high-handed and ultra-selfish little alien girl on the Galaxy Network, who begins to cause havoc on Earth. After a “fated encounter” with an Earthling boy, Velonica wavers between a possible budding romance with the boy and her dedication to the arts.

So far so good in this 10 episode long (each 10 minutes) series. What really sells this is the visuals which I'll let the fantastic OP do all the talking for as it's really hard to put into words. It's kinda like a more restrained version of the stuff you'd see in Yuasa's work.

It also stands in contrast to the use of CG which ranges from pretty decent to bad and even downright horrifying as this ED demonstrates. Jesus christ.

Will watch more.

TheRancor

Space Adventure Cobra

The movie, of course! sogood
Man that is some great background art. I see veteran Shichiro Kobayashi handled the art direction.

Magical Princess Minky Momo: La Ronde in My Dream
Mmm dat sakuga.

Now just imagine it with CGI.
I'm sure Ufotable does.

I find that extremely refreshing. I'm tired of the typical

It's the year 2027

Humanity has been in a war against [each other/aliens/kaiju/robots] and it has destroyed all of the world's countries. As it's to be expected Japan played the key central role in everything.

I understand there's national pride but jesus, don't make it where conveniently the important international shit all boils down to Japan. Either Japan is the technological leader in something, or a gate/portal appeared in Japan, or Japan is the last survivor.
It's almost as if these cartoons were made in Japan!

Jintor

I liked that, and the other examples of real world clothes that have popped up over time since the adventurers realised they could make things from the real world.

I can't imagine they had a proportionate amount of irl tailors, workmen etc. I guess the 'game systems' cover it somehow regarding the skill systems and stuff.

Gazoinks

Kemonozume 11-13 END

Man, that last ending arc was daaark and trippy as hell. Really cool stuff, and Bon remains always bro-tier. I'm glad it had a happy ending though, even with all of the people who died (Kazuma ;_;). Despite being dark and violent, it overall had a surprisingly idealistic tone to it. "I want to believe in that illusion"

Man, Ooba was a creepy villain. He was like the king Blue Meanie if he was a shape shifting monster businessman.

So has Yuasa mentioned Yellow Submarine as an influence? Because these last few episodes felt hella Yellow Sub to me (although way darker obviously).

Anyway, this was a fantastic series. Engaging, funny, surprisingly warm, and weeeeeeeird. Especially in the last third or so. I really loved The Tatami Galaxy, so it's saying a lot that I think this might've exceeded it. If you have a love of the surreal, you should definitely check this show out. You will probably not be disappointed!

Since I finished this way sooner than I expected, I might complete the Yuasa cycle and watch Kaiba soon.

That monkey though. Let's see if I took a pic I can use as an avatar.

Articalys

Noragami OAD 1

Yeah, I made the right choice to put off watching this until I'd finished the anime. Would have felt really out of place otherwise (plus, technically it takes place after the anime finishes anyway).

Supporting cast were hilarious in this. As for the main story of it...
dislocating her shoulder is a way more serious outcome than I expected for a comedy side story, even if it probably doesn't have an effect on the main plot. I mean, usually the "create a storm of misunderstandings" plots like this don't really cause any trouble. She's practically a goddess herself for actually forgiving him.

cajunator

Banned
Kemonozume 11-13 END

Man, that last ending arc was daaark and trippy as hell. Really cool stuff, and Bon remains always bro-tier. I'm glad it had a happy ending though, even with all of the people who died (Kazuma ;_;). Despite being dark and violent, it overall had a surprisingly idealistic tone to it. "I want to believe in that illusion"

Man, Ooba was a creepy villain. He was like the king Blue Meanie if he was a shape shifting monster businessman.

So has Yuasa mentioned Yellow Submarine as an influence? Because these last few episodes felt hella Yellow Sub to me (although way darker obviously).

Anyway, this was a fantastic series. Engaging, funny, surprisingly warm, and weeeeeeeird. Especially in the last third or so. I really loved The Tatami Galaxy, so it's saying a lot that I think this might've exceeded it. If you have a love of the surreal, you should definitely check this show out. You will probably not be disappointed!

Since I finished this way sooner than I expected, I might complete the Yuasa cycle and watch Kaiba soon.

That monkey though. Let's see if I took a pic I can use as an avatar.

Have you seen Mindgame? If you enjoyed this youll probably like it.

Gazoinks

It feels very similar. Yuasa has a very distinct style. Not everyone likes it though. Yuasa does kind of beat the viewer in the head with his message in Mindgame.

Haha, yeah. I'm obviously a fan, but I can fully understand why someone wouldn't like his style.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Non-ending confirmed. Doesn't matter anyway. Nothing they could've done, had done, or will do, can top Chu2-2 10.

Cwarrior

Rurouni kenshin ep50

Not much of fight at all they fought for like a minute only for kenshin yu-gi moto to switch to verbally & mentally beating aoshi then mind crushing him.

Hunter x hunter ep120

This is one my favorite episode it's astonishing what morell is capable of with such little resources, goes to show being a swagged out tactical genius goes a long way.

I cracked up at the part he lied to youbi :D

Space dandy Episode 5

This is episode is so Terrible cliche that it hurts to watch, the script so bad it's typical Anime movie script levels of bad.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people got paid for this.

Worse then episode 3 but still not as bad as 1 making it the second worse episode of space dandy.

3/10

Space dandy Episode 6

I've seen this type of story done lots of times before, of two similar/parallel sides locked in an never ending conflict problem here is I've seen it executed a million times better, with this episode being the weakest execution of it I can think of.

Dandy living out his silly surfing dream ending was cool but not enough to make up for having to go through samey boring scenes & conversation about pants/vests.

4.5/10

One piece 637
This block B shit is awesome, a bunch of varied badass from all across the seas fighting in a Gladiator style royal rumble.....sign me the fuck up.
bellamy_tomita_by_aims773-d7bbujr.gif

"Are you not entertained!" Now that's a bad ass fatality scene right there, animated by toei's yoshikazu tomita

ricky_v4_long_by_aims773-d7bbvfq.gif

Cool sword fighting animation this Masked fighter reminds of Guts from berserk......could it be Guts.....maybe he had enough of being in berserk jumped ship to find the one piece
animation by toei's Takara Isamu

Bartolomeo is literally taking the piss what a troll, I liked how the to be continued was in his eye.

What's odd is that the episode had more blood then it's manga counter part.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Witch Craft Works 12
This episode was pretty cheap looking, with corners cut in spots that make certain scenes seem weirdly unimportant. At least there was good background art, but Weekend was a terrible character and the entire confusing arc she brought with her was dumb and boring. Chronoire tries to save this episode but she can only do so much.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Sakura Trick 10

Mitsuki's motivations as character are so bipolar.

Again, Yuzu and Kaede are the best characters in the show, and they're not even the one's kissing each other!

Pupipo! 14

Ponpo is here to save the day!

Kiniro Mosaic 3

1378003283009.gif

cnet128

Banned
HappinessCharge Precure 8

I knew there was something awesome about Oresky, but the fact that he has the voice of DIO?

Another Koyasu Precure villain?! That's the fourth Koyasu character in Precure now (unless there have been even more in those series I haven't watched yet xp)

Not that I can complain.

EDIT: Here, have a PrecureKoyasu rogues gallery for shits and giggles.

ibwRwSc3oVq8oy.jpg
iNxSGoouHWZ9X.jpg

iusLpNspXQ8A6.png
iY7jeOtzk3r2F.jpg

WHO IS BEST KOYASU?!

Mmmmm, can't wait.

And then I remembered that that one girl creeps me the hell out.

Girl? What girl? I don't see any creepy girl.

you'll get it once the first episode airs

Theonik

PuPiPo 14
This is almost over and I don't think with the way it's going they'll reach 'that' part of the manga.
A shame.

Tonari no Seki-kun 12
They let you do the driving test with only 90% ? Such wimps.
RIP Seki-kun though. He should have adjusted his deal.
That being said they whole fun part is overcoming the trial.

Amazing gif is amazing.

Amazing Kon is amazing.
Mofu mofu is mofu mofu

Nordicus

Because in Tokyo Ravens, the blush lines aren't diagonal/horizontal enough and people often are blushing for no reason, to me it always looks like everyone's been slapped in both cheeks recently

Gundam Build Fighters 24

Well that was underwhelming.
The cheating subplot once again undermines a battle, and makes it far less compelling. Does anyone prefer this over a straight up fight between the finalists? And another predictable Build Knuckle finish.

Wes

venison crêpe
Wes watches anime?

I've posted in these threads before in the past, although very sporadically. It matches my viewing habits.

Wasn't too impressed by Noragami. The sum of the series was pretty dull to me although there were good moments.

Village

Ok i havent watched large chunks of anime and... years. Mostly periodically here and there, while i read manga. I would like to change that, and before you say " we have an OP for what you are about to ask " I already know and will check them out.

This is what I am posting for

Recently, My Sister is Unusual

The description of this in the OP is so hilarious i am considering watching this to see how bad this actually is. So I have questions to ask before I go find this

Is it actually bad or is the OP being Ironic

If the first question is true, is it just bad or creepy bad.

If the 2nd question is the latter, is Ikki tousen levels of bad where as you wish you never watched it. And you learn that it stole a shit ton of things, and the more you think on it the worse it gets so you just try to remove it from your memory all together. Or is it watchable and laughable

jgminto

Recently, My Sister is Unusual is bad if you don't like rape. Because that's basically what the show is about, rape.

And pee fetishes.

cnet128

Banned
Recently, My Sister is Unusual

The description of this in the OP is so hilarious i am considering watching this to see how bad this actually is. So I have questions to ask before I go find this

Is it actually bad or is the OP being Ironic

If the first question is true, is it just bad or creepy bad.

I wouldn't say it's actually bad, it's just very, very lewd and full of fetishisation. It can certainly be amusing if you decide to laugh at just how shameless it is.

It's also not actually about pee fetishes, they just happen to feature prominently in the first episode. Which I'm sure is all a lot of people watched =p

I wouldn't say it's actually bad, it's just very, very lewd and full of fetishisation. It can certainly be amusing if you decide to laugh at just how shameless it is.

It's also not actually about pee fetishes, they just happen to feature prominently in the first episode. Which I'm sure is all a lot of people watched =p

I made it through two episodes. I suppose if you approach it from this perspective it might have some entertainment value. However, I highly doubt I'll ever go back to watch any more of it.

Gbraga

Imocho is actually pretty funny at times, it's not AOTY material, but it's worth your time.

Still better than Space Dandy.

btw, do I need the BD version of Senran Kagura or is the regular version fine?

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 24

Well that was underwhelming.
The cheating subplot once again undermines a battle, and makes it far less compelling. Does anyone prefer this over a straight up fight between the finalists? And another predictable Build Knuckle finish.

Yea, I'm highly annoyed right now as we probably won't get another fight as detailed as that between Meijin and Reiji. It almost feels like a lack of confidence in the directing in that they needed anything to spice it up. At least G Gundam knew better than this garbage.

Quasar

Recently, My Sister is Unusual is bad if you don't like rape. Because that's basically what the show is about, rape.

That was my reaction...hence calling the show 'the ghost rapist show'. And it does seriously bother me. And its one of the many reasons I could never get into hentai...the prevalence of rape.

Jarmel

Banned
Ugh I just can't get excited for something with Shirou. I'm hoping that Ufotable can at least do a half decent job with FSN.

If you're honestly hoping the writing is going to be better, I would say bail ship. Shirou is Shirou, but I'm sure he'll be better than the Deen version and probably closer to the VN version. if you hate some of his personality characteristics, I doubt much of that will change.

He honestly isn't that bad of a lead and compared to 90% of anime leads, he's a vast improvement on the characterization level.

Noragami 12
A pretty solid ending with fantastic fight scenes. I doesn't particularly dazzle in plot though they leave some interesting foreshadowing primarily with Nora.

Kite

Given I liked the Deen one and I failed to get into Fate/Zero I expect I'll just skip this, unless I can be convinced after its been running a while.
You are the second person I've ever met you liked Deen's FSN and couldn't get into FZ so.. congrats on being "unique"~

Quasar

You are the second person I've ever met you liked Deen's FSN and couldn't get into FZ so.. congrats on being "unique"~

Bit hard to be unique if theres two of us :)

For me though with FZ, it was I think purely that I felt I wasn't interested in hearing the backstory for FSN. I got all that I needed from the tidbits in FSN. And part of that might just have been marathoning FSN and planning to do the same with FZ. Breaking it up might have done me some good.

OceanBlue

Bit hard to be unique if theres two of us :)

For me though with FZ, it was I think purely that I felt I wasn't interested in hearing the backstory for FSN. I got all that I needed from the tidbits in FSN. And part of that might just have been marathoning FSN and planning to do the same with FZ. Breaking it up might have done me some good.

If knowing what already happened put you off from F/Z, maybe the ufotable F/SN might be new to you if they adapt different elements of the VN (unless you've already played the VN).

Or not if it's a Fate adaptation lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom