• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Yamamama and a habadasha 4

So okay, first of all, this shit has nothing to do with the main plot. I mean, I guess we're in some back story that began halfway through last episode and is now going into this episode instead of being its own isolated episode, but asking for even the slightest modicum of narrative consistency or coherence is asking too much of this show.

That said, this time we have a witch show up to heal a princess. The witch is of course in lingerie because we're trying to get across the fact that she's sexy even though her face is the most hideous, horrifying, awful, vile, repulsive blob of disproportionate features and so we have to settle for cheap, gaudy outfits like this to convey a sense of beauty rather than putting any effort into it.

To heal the princess the witch has to kiss her. Well, not actually because back when this came out girls kissing on screen must've been a no-no, but their faces get close enough to get the otakus jibblies a jibblin' or something. I say otaku not as a sleight on people who find lesbians attractive, but as an absolute, unequivocal insult to those of you who find the faces or style of faces in Yami in some way acceptable. If you can get off to faces like that I'm okay angering you with this insult because it's just too funny.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, so after that we decide to go and see how the common folk are living. Except that our "disguises" are the world's most conspicuous cloaks on a sunny day in a crowded market with our hoods up. Like, media wasn't a thing in medieval Europe, so most of the plebs have never seen you up close, ladies. You're far less conspicuous if you just walk around like you belong here.

But no! Let's thank this guy for "rescuing" us from that dangerous marketplace brawl that put us in danger by involving two people completely unrelated to us, unconcerned with us, unaware of us and several damn feet away from us, minding their own business beating only each other up. Sure was dangerous to us, wasn't it?

But now Princess Lesbian is being wooed by Count Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. He's currently cosplaying Lelouch from Code Geass, even though #TeamSuzaku is the winning team. Princess Lesbian interrupts the witch's private conversation because Lesbian Frog Princesses have shit for manners, and Count Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is like "Oh BB U SO BYUTIFULL." Cut immediately to the Princess' hideous, misshapen face for dramatic irony.

Then sir Gargantia had an aneurysm and so did I.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And neither is that girl in Dance in the Vampire Bund!

Ok, I'm semi-kidding, but still it's kind of a problem in Honey and Clover. Not that I'm disputing that it's a great series, because it is.

Hey, I will say, at least in live action adaptations of the show, they manage to find a short actress to play the girl and she looks fine!

cajunator

Banned
Yamamama and a habadasha 4

So okay, first of all, this shit has nothing to do with the main plot. I mean, I guess we're in some back story that began halfway through last episode and is now going into this episode instead of being its own isolated episode, but asking for even the slightest modicum of narrative consistency or coherence is asking too much of this show.

That said, this time we have a witch show up to heal a princess. The witch is of course in lingerie because we're trying to get across the fact that she's sexy even though her face is the most hideous, horrifying, awful, vile, repulsive blob of disproportionate features and so we have to settle for cheap, gaudy outfits like this to convey a sense of beauty rather than putting any effort into it.

To heal the princess the witch has to kiss her. Well, not actually because back when this came out girls kissing on screen must've been a no-no, but their faces get close enough to get the otakus jibblies a jibblin' or something. I say otaku not as a sleight on people who find lesbians attractive, but as an absolute, unequivocal insult to those of you who find the faces or style of faces in Yami in some way acceptable. If you can get off to faces like that I'm okay angering you with this insult because it's just too funny.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, so after that we decide to go and see how the common folk are living. Except that our "disguises" are the world's most conspicuous cloaks on a sunny day in a crowded market with our hoods up. Like, media wasn't a thing in medieval Europe, so most of the plebs have never seen you up close, ladies. You're far less conspicuous if you just walk around like you belong here.

But no! Let's thank this guy for "rescuing" us from that dangerous marketplace brawl that put us in danger by involving two people completely unrelated to us, unconcerned with us, unaware of us and several damn feet away from us, minding their own business beating only each other up. Sure was dangerous to us, wasn't it?

But now Princess Lesbian is being wooed by Count Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. He's currently cosplaying Lelouch from Code Geass, even though #TeamSuzaku is the winning team. Princess Lesbian interrupts the witch's private conversation because Lesbian Frog Princesses have shit for manners, and Count Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is like "Oh BB U SO BYUTIFULL." Cut immediately to the Princess' hideous, misshapen face for dramatic irony.

Then sir Gargantia had an aneurysm and so did I.

Solid 10/10 show. would scream again.

Lolis are cute. whats wrong with liking lolis?

In here you see the last words typed by cajun before the NSA burst through his door.

Zvesda 11

Man Asuta won man points. Not for being a badass or especially manly, but because he has gone through so much shit in his life but his determination or views were never shaken. Not sure how much he can do on the next episode.
looks like his feelings for Zvezda were bigger than his feelings for short eyebrow waifu

cajunator

Banned
In here you see the last words typed by cajun before the NSA burst through his door.

Zvesda 11

Man Asuta won man points. Not for being a badass or especially manly, but because he has gone through so much shit in his life but his determination or views were never shaken. Not sure how much he can do on the next episode.
looks like his feelings for Zvezda were bigger than his feelings for short eyebrow waifu

NSA doesnt even bother with me.

Fox318

Yowamushi Pedal 24

BiOGlAB.jpg

ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS ABS

The drama in Toradora was handled so much better than this. Man, what a complete letdown this has been..

I won't disagree the drama was handled better. But both of the dramas felt a bit forced for me at times. GT more so than Toradora. Like I said at least I know it'll end decently enough. But I hate authors who add these melodramatic points.

I'd love to see a show about a realistic relationship going through real life issues and enjoying life. Sure it's not the most exciting thing if you don't add love triangles or misunderstandings, but you could easily make it into a slice of life light-hearted show. I applaud this show for going above and beyond in the relationship department. Japanese seem to only be interested in the conquest. And the drama.

Spice and Wolf Episode 1

This is pretty good. World is grounded in reality well apart from a certain character. The characters seem likeable especially Holo. Something about her ears makes me want to pet them, like a dog :3

Didn't expect to see her real form, well some of it so soon. What I don't is she says she was born suggesting having a family and yet insists theres only one of her. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

cajunator

Banned
I won't disagree the drama was handled better. But both of the dramas felt a bit forced for me at times. GT more so than Toradora. Like I said at least I know it'll end decently enough. But I hate authors who add these melodramatic points.

I'd love to see a show about a realistic relationship going through real life issues and enjoying life. Sure it's not the most exciting thing if you don't add love triangles or misunderstandings, but you could easily make it into a slice of life light-hearted show. I applaud this show for going above and beyond in the relationship department. Japanese seem to only be interested in the conquest. And the drama.

like in Ai Yori Aoshi?

CorvoSol

Macross 7 2

Hold the phone. Basara has built an unregistered mechanical weapon, flown it into the middle of a military operation, interfered in said operation, cost who knows how many lives as a result, the military knows he's behind it, the entire COLONY knows it and . . . he's not currently under arrest for all this shit?

Fucking Macross.

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi 13

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Happiness is dead, it was always dead.

Hope? Hah. No such thing. There is only despair.

screw you episode for introducing me to a perfectly nice pair of people who deserved to be happy, killing one of them off within about a minute of the episode starting, spending the rest of the episode making sure I cared about them and trying to convince me there was a chance she would live after all, and then tying it up by revealing that no, she really was dead all along, and then killing him off too for good measure.

The one redeeming feature of this episode was that Ginko was an utter boss.
"She may no longer be herself at all, but she is still alive in some form. I can't treat her like an object." Oh my god you just told that despicable woman so hard. Why are there so many irredeemably awful parents in this show.

Crocodile

The BL fighting game thread amuses me to no end :p

I don't know if I should be proud or distressed I knew EXACTLY what the title of the topic meant though :p

Golden Time 23-
tumblr_mo235v4ehF1rhmne4o1_500.gif

I'm dying, holy shit that scream.

This is dogshit of the highest order. Ghost Banri has no defining characteristic other than screaming Linda's name over and over.

I'm dying man.

Somebody confirm that this isn't how amnesia works so I can completely write this show off. This is the worst show I've seen in awhile, holy shit.

I'm dying~~~~~~~
Amnesia works in many different ways , especially after a trauma to the head .
There is nothing to indicate that someone that got it so hard he lost his original sense of self , wouldn't have some issues afterwards.
It was clear from ep 3, 4 ? that banri was sick and was trying to build a sense of self despite the trauma he suffered. Not to mention that his mental problem really stated when he started remembering thing from his past ( All this LINDA stuff ) so no on that aspect golden time does nothing wrong

cajunator

Banned
I actually started to read that again recently but stopped. I'll probably continue. I can't say until I read it again since it's been so long I don't remember jack shit.

They try to turn it into a harem but Kaoru and Aoi are so thoroughly in love with each other nobody really has a chance otherwise.

Gundam Build Fighters 14

Those kids. We need to take them out. They're doing too good at a children's hobby. We need to hire an assassin

Sir it's just a childr-

YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME?!

And then we have:

I play Gunpla for fun

WHAT. FOR FUN?! IT BRINGS NOTHING BUT PAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

Thank you Jesus.

Syrinx

Happiness Charge Precure 8

I wonder if Fortune gave them a bad fortune because she's being honest, or because she wants to spite Princess. Pretty ominous thing she said at the end though. Did Princess betray her or something? Would explain why she hates her so much.

I kinda like this new general. Mostly cause he actually seems to give a shit. I like how he was trying to form a fan club during the fight. And how he was charging an annual fee to join it. Also like how the show acknowledges other Precures throughout the world, and there's a reporter fangirl who reports on all of them.

Jarmel

Banned
Amnesia works in many different ways , especially after a trauma to the head .
There is nothing to indicate that someone that got it so hard he lost his original sense of self , wouldn't have some issues afterwards.
It was clear from ep 3, 4 ? that banri was sick and was trying to build a sense of self despite the trauma he suffered. Not to mention that his mental problem really stated when he started remembering thing from his past ( All this LINDA stuff ) so no on that aspect golden time does nothing wrong

Does retrograde amnesia work like that though? Loss of memories before the traumatic incident occurred is common but I've never heard of loss of memories after the event in sporadic bursts. Especially after such a long interim.

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi 14

I think the real question here is...how did that woman
fall in love with a plant
in the first place?! >.>

Butyeah. The trend of rage-inducingly awful families continues.
The guy's wife was willing to cut down her own father with an axe, even though she should have been physically incapable of doing so and was literally incapable of living without him, just to let her beloved husband go home and see his sister again. His sister's reaction? "The fuck are you doing here get back in your goddamn forest." FFFFFFFUUUUUUU

The mushi in this show are pretty all right, by and large. It's the humans that fuck everything up.

Mature

Patlabor: The Mobile Police 25-36
Some great episodes in here. We see Kumagami join SV2 in place of Kanuka, the entrance of the mysterious black labor and the arc that follows, an equally charming new OP and ED, and plenty of good humored episodes throughout.

When a friend asked what the balance of humor and drama is in this show, I realized how deftly it manages to handle that aspect. The whole arc of Schaft and their Griffon labor is relatively serious, but it never once feels like it's overstepping it's own boundary and becoming something overwrought. It's charm and humor is deeply infused in everything that happens, even when it needs to handle a subject that's a little more straight faced. It's something that I can appreciate and certainly something that not a lot of modern shows exercise well enough.

Jarmel

Banned
So the closest I've found to describing Tada Banri's mental state is a dissociative fugue state.
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/dissociative-fugue said:
Dissociative fugue, formerly called psychogenic fugue, is one of a group of conditions called dissociative disorders. The word fugue comes from the Latin word for "flight." People with dissociative fugue temporarily lose their sense of personal identity and impulsively wander or travel away from their homes or places of work. They often become confused about who they are and might even create new identities. Outwardly, people with this disorder show no signs of illness, such as a strange appearance or odd behavior.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/17/health/psychology/17brody.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 said:
While loss of memory can occur for many reasons, dissociative fugue has no direct physical or medical cause. Rather, it is precipitated by a severe stress or emotionally traumatic event that is so painful the mind seems to shut down and erase everything, like a failed computer hard drive.

But unlike a computer whose unsaved information is lost forever, most if not all patients suffering from dissociative fugue eventually recover their memories, typically just as suddenly as the memories disappeared.

So the assumption of the new identity seems to be in line(although there seems to be emphasis more on emotional damage than physical so the bridge crap is seemingly unnecessary), it's his recovery of his 'old' memories in that patients seem to just snap back instead of dip in and out over a prolonged period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom