• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

It seems so. The closet I've got to eliminating stuttering is to lock at 30 using half rate adaptive VSync rather than the in game limiter. That got rid of pretty much all of it for me, with the trade off being somewhat laggy menus.

If I lower my settings and run at 60 (most of the time), it's generally okay but tends to enter stutterville periodically (while the framerate is apparently constant).

RTSS hasn't helped me an awful lot.

Maybe I'll retry 30 and adaptive - if be willing at this point given how frequently it stutters at 60.

Jesus no Witcher 3 for me tonight it seems. Vsync has decided to stop working and even turning it on in the menu it still doesn't work.

Can't even change any settings in Nvidia Control panel, just comes up with a message saying "access denied" whenever I try and apply a setting to a game :|

I deleted my render.ini (made changes, didn't back up, derp), thinking the game would recreate it the next time it started; however, it did not. Game seems fine without, tho. Thoughts?

Jesus no Witcher 3 for me tonight it seems. Vsync has decided to stop working and even turning it on in the menu it still doesn't work.

Can't even change any settings in Nvidia Control panel, just comes up with a message saying "access denied" whenever I try and apply a setting to a game :|

Steam version? If so, just validate the downloaded files. It will automatically be repaired.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
My performance has gotten way worse. Still mostly locked at 30 but ever since I went to Skellige I've gotten lots of quick but random dips down to mid 20s for no apparent reason. This also coincides with my patching to 1.04 and updating to 15.5 drivers. Lots of really bad stutter too at almost all times. Even when a solid 30fps it feels like I'm playing at 15.

It's weird Skellige doesn't appear to have anything very intensive. I never had dips when in Oxenfort or Novigrad but I constantly find dips here and slowdown. It's quite aggravating. I had occasional stutter previously but now it's near constant.

Steam version? If so, just validate the downloaded files. It will automatically be repaired.

Nope GOG version. Doesn't have anything to do with my game.

Nvidia control panel has Vsync as OFF from a few days ago when I changed it last, but because I'm getting an "access denied" message whenever I change it back it's stuck on OFF. Which is overriding the Vsync option in-game it seems. Somethings not right with Nvidia and/or Geforce Experience. Apparently quite a few people have experienced it the past few days from what I've just searched on the web and Nvidia forums.

GusG

Neo Member
Is there any way to prevent Steam from updating my game when they decide to release the next patch? I have a lot of files edited and mods installed and I am worried it might break some of them before I finish my play through.

Wow. People are really having varying performance for this game. I have a i7 4790k and 970 and I haven't had any problems like crashes or other stuff people are experiencing. It also runs near flawless with 50-60 fps with everything set to ultra, including gameworks, except shadows.

I haven't really checked out tweaks for this game - are there any must have tweaks/mods I should know about?

GusG

Neo Member
Wow. People are really having varying performance for this game. I have a i7 4790k and 970 and I haven't had any problems like crashes or other stuff people are experiencing. It also runs near flawless with 50-60 fps with everything set to ultra, including gameworks, except shadows.

I haven't really checked out tweaks for this game - are there any must have tweaks/mods I should know about?

The Nexus has a few mods already and seems pretty active. Some must have mods for me are extended sword oil duration/usage and extended potions. If you use a 360 controller there are some great alternative control setting files as well.

What kind of settings can I expect with an i5 2550K 8GB of RAM and a GTX670? Med/High or High settings? My i5 is stock at the moment but I have a good aftermarket cooler for OCing. I can probably get it up to 3.8 or 4.0ghz with ease.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Still can't get over how good this game looks

witcher32015-05-3001-52-43.png

witcher32015-05-3003-27-35.png

witcher32015-05-3002-59-34.png

How did you take the second and third pics?

JJKillaNOLE

Neo Member
Nope GOG version. Doesn't have anything to do with my game.

Nvidia control panel has Vsync as OFF from a few days ago when I changed it last, but because I'm getting an "access denied" message whenever I change it back it's stuck on OFF. Which is overriding the Vsync option in-game it seems. Somethings not right with Nvidia and/or Geforce Experience. Apparently quite a few people have experienced it the past few days from what I've just searched on the web and Nvidia forums.

I'm getting that same error message when I try to change settings in Nvidia control panel or GFE. Not sure what it is or why it's doing that.

mm04

I've run into a few crashes in my 35+ hours of playing. I think I've narrowed it down to Novigrad when it's raining. My performance doesn't drop at all, but maybe it's just coincidence. I wasn't OC'ing my GPUs at the time as well. Either way, it doesn't happen a lot, but prior to Novigrad, I was crash free. For reference, I run a 2 monitor setup, gaming on the G-Sync monitor and a browser with a map or something on the second monitor. I almost never play the game with nothing running in the background. I don't know if it's the G-Sync or what, but I don't have the stuttering issue prevalent on that video linked earlier in this thread. I spun around in town to see if I had that issue, and I do not. That being said, this game is so beautiful, and to play it and have it be silky smooth (sans some cutscenes with hair flopping all over the place) puts a huge grin on my face.

I'm getting that same error message when I try to change settings in Nvidia control panel or GFE. Not sure what it is or why it's doing that.

I'd like to know how widespread it is. It's only happened in the last few days. As I was tinkering with Vsync a few days ago and it was fine. It's frustrating because it means The Witcher 3 has no Vsync at all right now and I have no way of turning it on until this issue is fixed, as it's stuck on the off option on the control panel!!

I've tried Rivatuners D3Doverrider to try and brute force Vsync that way but no dice.

Daingurse

I'd like to know how widespread it is. It's only happened in the last few days. As I was tinkering with Vsync a few days ago and it was fine. It's frustrating because it means The Witcher 3 has no Vsync at all right now and I have no way of turning it on until this issue is fixed, as it's stuck on the off option on the control panel!!

I've tried Rivatuners D3Doverrider to try and brute force Vsync that way but no dice.

You can get rid of it by uninstalling your drivers, and when you reinstall them do not install the Geforce Experience. Sucks if you use it or Shadowplay, but apparently something in the GFE triggers the bug. I had this issue just the other day.

spuckthew

Anyone with the Nvidia driver crash issue able to fix it by rolling back? I figured Id be able to deal with it but its getting to the point where I cant play now without a crash every hour or so. Infuriating.

I rolled back (via Device Manger) to 350.12 as I was getting crashes anywhere between loading a save and 40 minutes or so, then I rolled back and managed a 1.5hr session without issues. But recently I've started crashing again with a similar consistency to before and, like you, am fed up with it.

Just now I used DDU to remove the driver and any traces of it completely, then I installed 347.88 fresh. Haven't played enough to determine if it will help, but this driver was rock-solid for me playing The Evil Within and Wolfenstein New Order.

You can get rid of it by uninstalling your drivers, and when you reinstall them do not install the Geforce Experience. Sucks if you use it or Shadowplay, but apparently something in the GFE triggers the bug. I had this issue just the other day.

Thanks. I couldn't uninstall experience but just did a clean install of drivers and it's working now.

Rodin

What kind of settings can I expect with an i5 2550K 8GB of RAM and a GTX670? Med/High or High settings? My i5 is stock at the moment but I have a good aftermarket cooler for OCing. I can probably get it up to 3.8 or 4.0ghz with ease.
A mix of high/ultra settings, hbao+, AA, no hairworks, 31fps locked with rivatuner.
I rolled back (via Device Manger) to 350.12 as I was getting crashes anywhere between loading a save and 40 minutes or so, then I rolled back and managed a 1.5hr session without issues. But recently I've started crashing again with a similar consistency to before and, like you, am fed up with it.

Just now I used DDU to remove the driver and any traces of it completely, then I installed 347.88 fresh. Haven't played enough to determine if it will help, but this driver was rock-solid for me playing The Evil Within and Wolfenstein New Order.
Don't use these programs, they can remove essential files and compromise your system's stability. Use this manual procedure when you have issues.
Just made this shot as well.

My beloved <3

Ok something isn't right here. I uninstalled geforce experience and reinstalled my driver and I can now access Nvidia Control Panel and change options. But no matter what I do, I can't force Vsync and/or triple buffering. It is selected as on, but won't actually limit my frame rate at all. The only way for it to work is limit in in-game along with selecting vsync in game :s

Fuck knows whats going on.

knitoe

Ok something isn't right here. I uninstalled geforce experience and reinstalled my driver and I can now access Nvidia Control Panel and change options. But no matter what I do, I can't force Vsync and/or triple buffering. It is selected as on, but won't actually limit my frame rate at all. The only way for it to work is limit in in-game along with selecting vsync in game :s

Fuck knows whats going on.

Reinstall the video card drivers using the custom > clean option.

PFD

I remember reading something about a "Kepler" fix. I think it was Physx related. Does anyone have more details on this? And does it really work? I'd love to try it on my GTX 770

I remember reading something about a "Kepler" fix. I think it was Physx related. Does anyone have more details on this? And does it really work? I'd love to try it on my GTX 770

Or there is a file you can remove. Search for Kepler fix on you tube. It made all villages and towns suddenly perform great for me.

Odd thing is that so many people have had crashes and stuttering but running this on custom settings at 720p on my 765m laptop hooked up to the tv I have got it running with no stutter at over 30 fps every where and zero crashes after 30 hours play.

I wonder if its some of the more demanding effects causing the crashes or something.

Sometimes I am amazed at how good this game looks, and then I'm stunned to think of what it might have looked like had the consoles not held it back... I'm hoping once RedKit comes out that it might be possible to get it back to where it should have been in the first place.

I wish there were more different colours to the sunsets and sunrises (like that pink screenshot for ages ago), and the different dark looking forests that seem to be very difficult to find.

That said I haven't seen much of Skellige yet but damn... I can't wait to play through this game again in maybe 6 months to a year when the newer graphics cards are out and we can really start punishing some settings, when there are various mods and graphics upgrade mods that will make the game look even better.

Sometimes however I'm stunned by how bad the textures are in the background of some cutscenes. Yes all the textures look brilliant from gameplay distance but the artists should have worked on those textures that were going to be backgrounds for some of the cut scenes / talking scenes so that they didn't look so bad when up close.

Also, have people figured out how to make the "controller scheme detected" box that appears in the left had corner not appear?? It's always there in my favorite screenshots :( :(

Edit: Sorry for the double post, should have edited the one above...

Also, have people figured out how to make the "controller scheme detected" box that appears in the left had corner not appear?? It's always there in my favorite screenshots :( :(

Edit: Sorry for the double post, should have edited the one above...
http://http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36ooow/fix_how_to_remove_the_constant_gamepadkeyboard

Open \The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\hidden.ini

Change "LockControlScheme=" to "LockControlScheme=2".

Save, right-click, make file read only, apply, done.

Also add that line to your Documents/Username/Witcher 3/user.settings file under the the "[Hidden]" header.

http://http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36ooow/fix_how_to_remove_the_constant_gamepadkeyboard

Open \The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\hidden.ini

Change "LockControlScheme=" to "LockControlScheme=2".

Also add that line to your Documents/Username/Witcher 3/user.settings file under the the "[Hidden]" header.

I'm playing with a gamepad, but saving with keyboard F5 and screenshots with F10 this isn't going to stop that from working right?

PS. That reddit link didn't work.

CHC

Finally got some great results on my 2500k / GTX 780 system by doing the following:

• Set PhysX to be handled by CPU only
  • Used DDU to nuke all Nvidia software and then did a clean install of 347.88
  • Force V sync through NV control panel, force 30 FPS lock via Rivatuner Stat Server (wiped out my stuttering)
  • in game V sync and frame limit both turned OFF
  • No need to delete the Apex Cloth PhysX dll or do any ini tweaks - leave that stuff alone.

Running at 2560x1440, all high settings aside from Shadows, grass density, and number of characters - those are set to medium. Lowest FPS recorded was 31, usually stays in the 40s if I unlock - so it's 100% solid framerate. Should hold me over at least until the better Kepler drivers arrive.

If you're struggling with Kepler performance give those things a try, it went from low 20s to solid locked 30 for me.

SmartBase

Not sure if it was AMD's drivers or the newest game patch that messed with the water effects, but now I have no reactive water. Signs and boats don't affect it any more.

Edit: Yup, enabling Crossfire fucks with the water effects and interior water reflections. Good job AMD.

FaintDeftone

So I just built a new PC today and I bought a copy of The Witcher 3 to act as a showpiece and tester for the new hardware. I picked up a EVGA GTX 970 SCC for a good price and was able to get Batman: Arkham Knight for free but they were out of Witcher 3 codes so I ended up just buying a copy anyway.

So after playing for a bit, I am running everything on ultra via 1080p without hairworks and I'm getting a very solid framerate. I haven't gotten a solid number but I'm guessing it is between the 50-60fps range. This may change once I get out into the open world more.

The only problem I noticed is that the intro video seemed to jerk a bit and not run as smoothly as it should, but once the gameplay started it stopped. Strange.

Running:

Core i7 4790k 4.0ghz
EVGA GTX 970 SCC 4GB
8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
All stock, nothing OC'd.

I'm on Windows 7 with a 7970, is this likely to be any good for me?

Can't really say without trying, this is a Lenovo driver, it has all the overhead optimizations of the W10 driver and it also has the profiles from 15.5 according to asder00. I'm on W10 with a 260x so is hard for me to say.

asking again

I have:

evga GTX 980 sc
8 GB ram
2500k oc'd to 4.5
24" monitor at 1920x1080 native

I have everything at ultra except foliage distance and shadows at high. The game runs 60 FPS. I've always wanted to try and down sample but to maintain 60fps what is the max down sample you think I can go to?

Just it gets lost at the bottom of the last page I'll post again.

As with my previous question, is it possible to have the "X Skip" notification icon come up as well?? Is there an option for that?

viveks86

Just it gets lost at the bottom of the last page I'll post again.

As with my previous question, is it possible to have the "X Skip" notification icon come up as well?? Is there an option for that?

Console command is the only way. Typing dlgshow should remove all overlays. Unfortunately, this will disable the menus as well, so it's useful only right before you take a screenshot. Type dlghide to restore.

Console command is the only way. Typing dlgshow should remove all overlays. Unfortunately, this will disable the menus as well, so it's useful only right before you take a screenshot. Type dlghide to restore.

How do I access the console? Or is it just typed at the screen?

A hard thing to do to try and capture during cut scenes / conversations.

Top Bottom