• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

viveks86

How do I access the console? Or is it just typed at the screen?

A hard thing to do to try and capture during cut scenes / conversations.

You will need to enable the console by downloading and installing the debug consoler enabler. Then you press ~ for the console.

In any case, not sure why you get those prompts while taking screenshots. Haven't had that issue here while using keyboard+gamepad. What exactly are you doing for it to show up before the screenshot is taken? Also, what are you using to take the screenshot?

You will need to enable the console by downloading and installing the debug consoler enabler. There you press ~ for the console.

In any case, not sure why you get those prompts while taking screenshots. Haven't had that issue here while using keyboard+gamepad.

Whenever I press any button during a cutscene or conversation it prompts me to skip it... Bit of a pain.

What does the "info messages" option in the hud section do? Also the hardware cursor?

I think it could possibly be info messages.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So just got back from a week of vacation to play, and it's not a huge deal but considering there have been 2 patches since I left and it's still sort of an issue, I figured I would run it by yall.

When I initially start a game session, the game is locked in borderless windowed mode, and although the frame rate is high all the animations and movement is oddly out of sync and jarring, moving back and forth.

Changing it back to full screen usually requires changing both it and the resolution multiple times before it "sticks" to the settings I want.

Also. Sometimes when do get it back to full screen and 4K, the frame rate even in menses is single digits. Switching the resolution back and forth seems to fix this as well.

Not a huge issue as I only have to do it one time per session, but it is kind of odd and annoying.

I7 3770k
SLI 970 FTW
16GB
W8.1
Intel SSD
GOG Galaxy

viveks86

Whenever I press any button during a cutscene or conversation it prompts me to skip it... Bit of a pain.

What does the "info messages" option in the hud section do? Also the hardware cursor?

I think it could possibly be info messages.

Nah. There is no way to remove those. But is that prompt showing up in your image if you try to take a screenshot without pressing other buttons? For me, the prompt shows up after the screen has been captured. I use sweetfx for screen capture.

MolochSigma

Neo Member
CPU: i5 3570k 3.44Ghz
GPU: HD 7970 3GB
RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz

Getting 45-50fps at 1920x1080 all settings High except Ultra textures and Medium vegetation distance. SSAO, AA = On, Hairworks = Off.

Smooth great performance with no chugging. Very happy for a 2012 rig.

Psykoboy2

Anyone with the Nvidia driver crash issue able to fix it by rolling back? I figured Id be able to deal with it but its getting to the point where I cant play now without a crash every hour or so. Infuriating.

I'm having the same issue. Just talked about it more on tonight's show, but yeah - I got in a good hour or so of play time and then, randomly, the game minimized but I still had audio. Had to open task manager to close the game. I go back into it and maybe not even 5 minutes in and the same thing happens again. This time it closes itself whenever I click on anything after it minimizes.

I really thought I was in the clear after the patches, but nope - doesn't seem likely.

I'm on a 680, by the way.

Nah. There is no way to remove those. But is that prompt showing up in your image if you try to take a screenshot without pressing other buttons? For me, the prompt shows up after the screen has been captured. I use sweetfx for screen capture.

I'm using fraps and the fade in starts to show in 50% of the shots.

mm04

Changing it back to full screen usually requires changing both it and the resolution multiple times before it "sticks" to the settings I want.

Are you using a mouse and keyboard or Xbox 360 controller or the like? I find that when it doesn't stick using my 360 controller, I do the selections with my mouse and keyboard and it sticks 100% of the time.

Sometimes I am amazed at how good this game looks, and then I'm stunned to think of what it might have looked like had the consoles not held it back... I'm hoping once RedKit comes out that it might be possible to get it back to where it should have been in the first place.

Its already been discussed and commented on by CDPR but this is wrong. Where is should have been is where it is right now minus the bugs.

Take consoles out the equation and you shrink their potential market by a massive degree. Make it so even less PC's can play it and the market is even smaller. Its already the most demanding game out there.

Basically, consoles didn't hold it back, economics did.

Sevenfold

Watch your fan profiles after display driver crashes.
I went back into game last night after one and after a few minutes took off my headphones for a spell. PC was silent, ALT-Tabbed and my GPU temp was 94 degrees. Panic killed the EXE and rebooted. Not good.

ISee

witcher3_7200cbuo.jpg

Is there a way to disable the 'dirty monitor/camera lens' effect? More and more games start to use this and it really annoys me.

It is so stupid, my monitor is clean and there is no camera lens in the first place. It doesn't help with immersion at all, I do not even understand why they are doing it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Is there a way to disable the 'dirty monitor/camera lens' effect? More and more games start to use this and it really annoys me.

It is so stupid, my monitor is clean and there is no camera lens in the first place. It doesn't help with immersion at all, I do not even understand why they are doing it.

Turn off light shafts, removes the glare related ones but at the cost of the overall effect.

Not sure if you can be more specific with .ini tweaks.

GHG

I quite like it so don't see the issue with the option being there. The effect actually quite subtle in this game and doesn't appear very often.

Check the post processing options menu. If not I'm sure there could be an ini tweak somewhere.

ISee

Turn off light shafts, removes the glare related ones but at the cost of the overall effect.

Not sure if you can be more specific with .ini tweaks.

I like light shafts, so I'd rather have them enabled. Hopped someone knew how to disable the 'dirt effect' with an ini tweak. I do not even know what to look for, as I have no idea what the technical name is for that effect.

spuckthew

Don't use these programs, they can remove essential files and compromise your system's stability. Use this manual procedure when you have issues.

I tend to agree and I was about to, but I didn't see 'NVIDIA Graphics Driver' in Add/Remove programs for some reason and I couldn't be bothered to find out why at almost midnight, so I just did the easiest/laziest thing and used DDU in Safe Mode.

dogstar

Banned
I like light shafts, so I'd rather have them enabled. Hopped someone knew how to disable the 'dirt effect' with an ini tweak. I do not even know what to look for, as I have no idea what the technical name is for that effect.

I would like to get rid of it too, walking into the sun for any period is very annoying, with such an impact on your vision. These effects are usually a texture file, so it may be possible to remove it. A pity its not a separate option.

Dusty lens flare seems very out of place in this game to me.

Tomodachi

Totally agree btw, light shafts are great but the dirt on the lens, jesus. It's a rather crude pseudomedieval/fantasy game, who thought it was a good idea to have a virtual camera following Geralt around? Hope someone finds a way to disable just that.

Ark

I can't seem to run The Witcher 3 and Chrome at the same time any more. I have 8GB DDR3 and for some reason when I have both Chrome and TW3 open I get the 'your computer is running low on memory' warning, even though task manager says I still have ~2.5gb of RAM available. It'll then either close Chrome or crash TW3.

I've had both TW3 and Chrome open at the same time for the entirety of my 30+ hours of played time already, and having changed nothing, I'm suddenly experiencing ... a memory leak? I really have no idea what's happening.

If anyone has any ideas, that'd be great.

viveks86

I'm using fraps and the fade in starts to show in 50% of the shots.

I think that's the problem. I remember having this issue when I used fraps for the game. Switch to sweetfx and use its screenshot functionality, even if you don't want to use the other effects. Never had the issue since. It has an fps counter too, in case you want to check that every now and then.

Corpekata

Banned
I can't seem to run The Witcher 3 and Chrome at the same time any more. I have 8GB DDR3 and for some reason when I have both Chrome and TW3 open I get the 'your computer is running low on memory' warning, even though task manager says I still have ~2.5gb of RAM available. It'll then either close Chrome or crash TW3.

I've had both TW3 and Chrome open at the same time for the entirety of my 30+ hours of played time already, and having changed nothing, I'm suddenly experiencing ... a memory leak? I really have no idea what's happening.

Are you on Nvidia?

I'd check event Viewer and make sure it's not also the drivers crashing too. Chrome and Witcher 3 are the big culprits for the driver crash.

KaiserAlucard

Neo Member

I have a similar problem kind of, if I run a game (any game) with Chrome opened at the same time, my computer crashes after a while. I wonder if it's not a driver issue since I never had this problem before.

So just got back from a week of vacation to play, and it's not a huge deal but considering there have been 2 patches since I left and it's still sort of an issue, I figured I would run it by yall.

When I initially start a game session, the game is locked in borderless windowed mode, and although the frame rate is high all the animations and movement is oddly out of sync and jarring, moving back and forth.

Also. Sometimes when do get it back to full screen and 4K, the frame rate even in menses is single digits. Switching the resolution back and forth seems to fix this as well.

Not a huge issue as I only have to do it one time per session, but it is kind of odd and annoying.

I7 3770k
SLI 970 FTW
16GB
W8.1
Intel SSD
GOG Galaxy

This happened to me as well. The solution is to launch the game from the .exe file instead of through GOG.

s_mirage

Watch your fan profiles after display driver crashes.
I went back into game last night after one and after a few minutes took off my headphones for a spell. PC was silent, ALT-Tabbed and my GPU temp was 94 degrees. Panic killed the EXE and rebooted. Not good.

That's one of the reasons I don't use custom fan profiles anymore: there are a few things that can stop them operating. On a positive note, AFAIK the drivers (or perhaps the card's bios) won't let Nvidia cards cook anymore; if the GPU reaches its maximum temperature, the fans will start running at 100% regardless of fan profile settings.

Something similar happen to me as well. I ended up buying more ram and I monitor my ram usage before and after. For my case, it was not a memory leak, since now it uses up to ~10 GB when I play the game and have Firefox running. Doesn't go higher or drop down.

Ever since I started running RTSS when launching the game, the game minimizes to desktop about 10 seconds after launching it, every time.

I can open it back up from the taskbar. Sometimes I have to switch it back to fullscreen from borderless and sometimes I don't.

I used to have this problem with a few games in the past and it just clicked that I'm pretty sure it was only games I've run RTSS during. I have a completely different version of the software since then, though.

Anyone seen this or have any ideas?

Angel_DvA

What you guys think it's the best ? Everything ultra with Hairworks at 30 locked or everything ultra without hairworks at 60 locked ?

I love the 60 fps smoothness and I fell like locked 30 is clunky but hairworks looks so good on some creatures, I don't know what to do...

GHG

What you guys think it's the best ? Everything ultra with Hairworks at 30 locked or everything ultra without hairworks at 60 locked ?

I love the 60 fps smoothness and I fell like locked 30 is clunky but hairworks looks so good on some creatures, I don't know what to do...

Locked 30 with hairworks.

I'm having a great time and it doesn't feel clunky at all. You'll adjust.

knitoe

I wish I didn't purchase a 4K monitor, it's making my 7950 scream.

In this game, 4K even pushes SLI Titan X. It's going to be the land for new top end SLI / CF for some time. Not sure what you were thinking with just a old 7950.

Unless you have GSync, otherwise, 60fps. I tried locking 30fps and it felt very unresponsive / sluggish.

60 locked. No question. Hairworks is such a large price to pay for such a gimmicky tech. It looks cool, yeah, but 60fps looks much cooler.

jett

D-Member

Higher framerate is always better. I tried playing this game capped at 30 but I couldn't stand it myself.

Honestly I can barely notice detail on monsters in-gameplay, and I like Geralt's regular hair better. Hairworks runs like shit on my PC anyway lol.

I have InputMapper, the updated DS4Windows, but no matter what shortcuts I put on the guide button or clicking the pad, I can't get a single one to work in-game.

I wish at least F5 for Quick-Save would work on the guide button or something, but I set it, save the profile, and it just does nothing when I try it.

I have InputMapper, the updated DS4Windows, but no matter what shortcuts I put on the guide button or clicking the pad, I can't get a single one to work in-game.

I wish at least F5 for Quick-Save would work on the guide button or something, but I set it, save the profile, and it just does nothing when I try it.

When picking the key to use, check the box "scan code".

Daingurse

I7 3770k
SLI 970 FTW
16GB
W8.1
Intel SSD
GOG Galaxy

Do you lock your ini file to Read-Only? Might help to get it how you want it to look, and then make it Read Only. Stops the game from reverting some ini tweaks back to default, should stop the game from becoming border-less. Not sure about the 4K framerate issue though, sorry.

Edit: I stopped launching the game through GOG Galaxy as well, just made a short-cut to the .exe file. I think the game did what happened to you, to myself when I was still launching through the client.

I played locked 30 with Hairworks etc for a good twenty hours. Turned it off now and removed the cap and would never go back. 30fps in this game feels wrong.

Top Bottom