• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Zeth

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking for reshade/sweetfx settings - tried E3FX from nexus and it seems a bit to harsh/drastic for me.

With my Titan X, I'm getting 50-60 FPS at 2970x1620 (DSR, resolution may be slightly different- guessed since not at my PC) with hair works (2x AA) and everything ultra except foliage distance (high) and shadow quality (high). It's wonderful.

I achieved a stable over clock on my Titan X: around 1200 MHz GPU clock and 1953 MHz memory clock. Gives me nearly 1.4Ghz top end clock speed. Although the temps are too high at times (81 at peak with 82% fan, although it usually runs 74C range). I'm currently researching a water cooled option to push it even further more safely.

I also splurged on the Acer XB270HU gsync 27" monitor which should be delivered today. Can't wait to see it on that beast! (I hope I don't receiver a defective one which I've seen happens frequently with their poor QC.)

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking for reshade/sweetfx settings - tried E3FX from nexus and it seems a bit to harsh/drastic for me.

Im interested in this as well. You should also try the witcher 3 mod thread. I don't have a link right now but you can search it easily.

Durante

Is there any fix for the lightshaft banding that occurs at resolutions >1080p?
it4I7Pq.jpg

bh0lgMg.jpg
That's strange, I play in 2560x1440 and never saw anything like that so far.

SinSilla

I have InputMapper, the updated DS4Windows, but no matter what shortcuts I put on the guide button or clicking the pad, I can't get a single one to work in-game.

I wish at least F5 for Quick-Save would work on the guide button or something, but I set it, save the profile, and it just does nothing when I try it.

Same for me, are you on Win10 already? I am and think that may be the Problem.

bee

Is there any fix for the lightshaft banding that occurs at resolutions >1080p?
it4I7Pq.jpg

bh0lgMg.jpg

i have the same issue at 4k, using the nvidia gta drivers (seen people using witcher drivers have it also though) one of the patches fixed it for a short while but now its back again :/

My specs:
MSI Gaming 270X 2GB (gpu overclocked @ 1200MHz)
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3,5GHz
Geil 4GB 1333Mhz CL7
6 years old 320GB 7200RPM WD Blue HDD (so basically a potato)
And unfortunately I only tried it on my crappy 1440x900 monitor.

Through the training session and then the first fight I managed to keep 60fps with dips the 50s when changing areas and the game had to load some stuff with med-high settings using regular SSAO and withouth AA or hairworks.
I'm confident after I beat the first two games buying another 4 gigs of RAM and an SSD I'll be able to play it at constant 30 with some AA on.

Has anyone tried the beta 15.5 AMD driver that was released a couple days ago? It says it's specifically for WItcher 3. I've never used a beta driver and not sure what to expect.

I've seen the banding a lot using jim2point0's free cam. In game with the correct camera position I may have seen it once.

Did 1.04 fix it? I'm still on 1.03

Lingitiz

What you guys think it's the best ? Everything ultra with Hairworks at 30 locked or everything ultra without hairworks at 60 locked ?

I love the 60 fps smoothness and I fell like locked 30 is clunky but hairworks looks so good on some creatures, I don't know what to do...
60 FPS helps so much with the lag in the controls. It's a huge difference for me and doesn't feel anywhere near as clunky. It's really hard to go back to 30.

Kezen

Banned
60 FPS helps so much with the lag in the controls. It's a huge difference for me and doesn't feel anywhere near as clunky. It's really hard to go back to 30.

I can only agree. I tried locking the fps to 30fps with RTSS and crank up the visuals but it played worse. So I went back, dialed down shadows and foliage visibility range, disabled Hairworks and enjoyed my higher framerates.
It's not 60fps locked but 50-60 is perfectly playable for me.

Lingitiz

I can only agree. I tried locking the fps to 30fps with RTSS and crank up the visuals but it played worse. So I went back, dialed down shadows and foliage visibility range, disabled Hairworks and enjoyed my higher framerates.
It's not 60fps locked but 50-60 is perfectly playable for me.

Yeah, I have a 670 on my secondary PC and the framerate hovers from 30-45 a lot of the time. The difference between that and my 970 at mostly 60FPS feels huge. The combat is so much more responsive and my complaints with the clunkiness of the movement are minimal.

I'm thinking about getting another 970 for my second PC at this point. It's that much of an upgrade for this game. It just plays so much better at higher FPS.

Ark

Something similar happen to me as well. I ended up buying more ram and I monitor my ram usage before and after. For my case, it was not a memory leak, since now it uses up to ~10 GB when I play the game and have Firefox running. Doesn't go higher or drop down.

Yeah I've been eyeing up 16gb of RAM for a while now, I think I might pull the trigger once I get paid this month.

Are you on Nvidia?

I'd check event Viewer and make sure it's not also the drivers crashing too. Chrome and Witcher 3 are the big culprits for the driver crash.

I'll try reinstalling the drivers later this week if the problem persists. Rather confusingly it just stopped happening after a while and now everything's back to normal.

I have a similar problem kind of, if I run a game (any game) with Chrome opened at the same time, my computer crashes after a while. I wonder if it's not a driver issue since I never had this problem before.

Chrome has never given me any issues like this before, but it appears to have fixed itself. If it occurs again I'll probably just reinstall it and see if that fixes it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
G-sync I can see. Other than that, I don't know how else you get stutter free game play if you are not locked at either your refresh rate, or a multiple of it. Care to explain?
That argument assumes 30fps is stutter free on the PC, but I notice a really off putting judder effect at that frame rate. Unlocked between 40-60 is not perfect but it's better than 30 for me. So I will never lock the frame rate at 30.

My theory is that 30 without motion blur is below my threshold for believable motion. And computer monitors don't refresh at exactly 60hz.

Psykoboy2

So I'm having the crashing with audio still going bug thingy. This is on my 680. I borrowed a friends AMD 7970 card and the thing ran without a problem. No crashes, no nothing. It was fine.

I decided to put the 680 back in and do a fresh driver install and....it crashed again. So it seems to be the card specifically.

So I have an i5 and a gtx780

I also just realized I only have 8 gigs of ram, thought I had more

How much if at all do you think that is holding me back?

Daingurse

That argument assumes 30fps is stutter free on the PC, but I notice a really off putting judder effect at that frame rate. Unlocked between 40-60 is not perfect but it's better than 30 for me. So I will never lock the frame rate at 30.

My theory is that 30 without motion blur is below my threshold for believable motion. And computer monitors don't refresh at exactly 60hz.

Locking the game at 31fps via RivaTuner, and with Adaptive 1/2 Refresh-Rate produces a smoother" 30fps. Feels better to me than a variable framerate going from 30-50. That's what my game runs at with the framerate capped at 60, and it feels horribly inconsistent. Tons of judder and stuttering.

Qassim

New NVIDIA drivers are out, it says there are some Kepler based optimisations in it, but I dunno if they're for The Witcher 3, has anyone tried them yet?

Only available in GeForce experience at the moment.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Not sure if it was AMD's drivers or the newest game patch that messed with the water effects, but now I have no reactive water. Signs and boats don't affect it any more.

Edit: Yup, enabling Crossfire fucks with the water effects and interior water reflections. Good job AMD.

I don't get that cool wave effect when using Aard. I get a bunch of smaller ripple effects but not that cool after-shock effect. Single GPU here

New NVIDIA drivers are out, it says there are some Kepler based optimisations in it, but I dunno if they're for The Witcher 3, has anyone tried them yet?

Only available in GeForce experience at the moment.

description says enhancements for the newest titles
i assume Witcher 3 would be on that list

Kinthalis

Banned

Yep. I was locking it at 30 and turning eveything (except hariwors) to ultra... but the controls.. oh my god, just got frustrated. Went back to around 55 FPS and it's like night and day.

Have any AMD users felt any difference with the newly released beta drivers for the game? Any bump in FPS, anything at all?

Fixed a ton of my crossfire flickering issues I was getting. Some menu elements still flicker but no more flicker of terrain and whatnot. Seems to have smoother performance overall, about 6-9 fps gain.

Ok, tested 353.06 (using 352.86 before) just now. Bottom line, I experienced ~10% improvement without Hairworks on my settings. With Hairworks, I was able to get 30fps locked most of the time. To get those settings though, I still had to select CPU for PhysX in NCP. More details below. But first, hardware/settings.

Hardware
CPU: i7-930 (3.6 GHz)
GPU: GTX 770 4GB (GPU Boost Clock 1177 MHz, Memory 3705 MHz, Over Voltage +12.5 mV)
RAM: 12GB
HDD or SSD: SSD

Post Processing
Motion Blur: On
Blur: On
AA: On
Bloom: On
Sharpening: Off
AO: HBAO+
DoF: On
Chromatic Aberration: Off
Vignette: Off
Light Shafts: On

Video Settings
Vsync: Off
Maximum Frames Per Second: Unlimited
Resolution: 1920x1200
Display Mode: Borderless Window
Hairworks: Off
Number of background characters: Ultra
Shadows: High
Terrain quality:Ultra
Water quality:Ultra
Grass: High
Textures: Ultra
Foliage range: High
Detail level: Ultra

NCP
Vertical Sync: Adaptive
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
PhysX settings Processor: CPU (switched to GPU for testing)
Maximum prerendered frames: 1

I did my tests in the abandoned village at noon in sunny weather. On the old drivers, the lowest fps I experienced in the abandoned village was 35.4 (PhysX=CPU) and 31.4 (PhysX=GPU). With the new drivers, I never dropped below 40fps (PhysX=CPU) and 34.3 (PhysX=GPU).

After noticing such an improvement using CPU as the PhysX workhorse, I wanted to see how it would perform with Hairworks. I rode my horse from the abandoned village and to the shopkeep right before the inn. I talked to him and then fought a pack of three wolves. The lowest dip was right when I started talking to the shopkeep and that was 28.6fps. I then capped my fps at 30 with RTSS and played like I normally would with Hairworks and only noticed a dip when I went to menus or talked to somebody.

So there you go. Def an improvement, but odd that I still need to select CPU in the NCP.

EDIT: I tried some old overclock settings and it's still crashing. Staying with a very mild overclock.

Top Bottom