• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

I hope so, I love the fur and feathers on monsters but not a fan of Geralt or other peoples hair flopping about.

For sure. Luckily I'm in the position where I can max everything out and it runs smooth, however, it seems like a bit of an oversight to not provide the option for Geralt, Geralt+environment, and just environment. Because most of the time when people experience heavy slowdown with Hairworks on, it's due to the camera being incredible close to Geralt. His hair actually looks and animates wonderfully without HWs, so having the option for just environment characters would really help since it makes a very noticeable difference in that regard.

ValfarHL

Think I found my sweetspot with hairworks on all, with the following settings:

Grass density medium, background characters, foilage and shadows at high, rest at ultra, HBAO+.

Tried to ride through the first town, which gave me 55-60 fps. In the tavern it's around 50, with drops if I get to close to Geralts hair.

Upped the clocks on my 970 a little bit (every frame helps, hah!)

Will turn of fraps and see if I can live with this. :)

Static Jak

For sure. Luckily I'm in the position where I can max everything out and it runs smooth, however, it seems like a bit of an oversight to not provide the option for Geralt, Geralt+environment, and just environment. Because most of the time when people experience heavy slowdown with Hairworks on, it's due to the camera being incredible close to Geralt. His hair actually looks and animates wonderfully without HWs, so having the option for just environment characters would really help since it makes a very noticeable difference in that regard.
I have it capped at 30 with max settings so performance aint really an issue for me personally. It just doesn't look very good to me while it looks really good on animals and monsters. It seems weird they don't have the option available.

Alric

Think I found my sweetspot with hairworks on all, with the following settings:

Grass density medium, background characters, foilage and shadows at high, rest at ultra, HBAO+.

Tried to ride through the first town, which gave me 55-60 fps. In the tavern it's around 50, with drops if I get to close to Geralts hair.

Upped the clocks on my 970 a little bit (every frame helps, hah!)

Will turn of fraps and see if I can live with this. :)

Let me know, I got an i7, 970, and 16gb RAM. Waiting to get home to try some settings myself. Definitely want hairworks on even if I have to lock at 30fps.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have it capped at 30 with max settings so performance aint really an issue for me personally. It just doesn't look very good to me while it looks really good on animals and monsters. It seems weird they don't have the option available.

I think the reasoning is Geralt is just one character with with tech on it. The next step up is multiple characters with the hair tech... so if you can't handle just Geralt, you definitely can't handle multiple characters running the tech at once.

That said, I want the "monsters only" option too.

pahamrick

Let me know, I got an i7, 970, and 16gb RAM. Waiting to get home to try some settings myself. Definitely want hairworks on even if I have to lock at 30fps.

I've got an i7 920 @ 3.8, 12gb ram and a 970. Everything ultra + hairworks works pretty well at 30fps.

berval

I got the game from gog and can't get steam overlay to work on it. Anybody else having this issue? When I press the guide button I hear the overlay sounds, but it just doesn't show up.

Edit: the overlay is working now for some reason. I didn't do anything, except for restarting the game a couple of time. Weird.

gdt

Radeon Pro isn't doing shit with this...all I need is the framerate counter up so that I can start tweaking.

Am I missing something?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Radeon Pro isn't doing shit with this...all I need is the framerate counter up so that I can start tweaking.

Am I missing something?

Steam has its own FPS counter these days. Try that (Steam -> Settings -> In-game). Note that there's no hotkey toggle, though, so to disable it you have to exit the game.

pahamrick

Good to know, I know I wouldn't hit that with 60fps so a locked 30fps is perfectly fine to me....for now.

Just don't lock to 30fps using the in-game frame limiter, it caused awful stutter for me. Use an external program like MSI Afterburner (Rivatuner Statistics Server) or DXTory.

Steam has its own FPS counter these days. Try that (Steam -> Settings -> In-game). Note that there's no hotkey toggle, though, so to disable it you have to exit the game.

You don't need to exit the game.

Shift+Tab and click settings.

JaseC

Went GOG actually.....stupid me.

It may work if you add the game as a non-Steam shortcut, although since the Steam Overlay reportedly doesn't, it probably won't also. Still, no harm in trying. Failing that, you could give good ol' FRAPS a shot.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just don't lock to 30fps using the in-game frame limiter, it caused awful stutter for me. Use an external program like MSI Afterburner (Rivatuner Statistics Server) or DXTory.

Does MSI Afterburner work on an NVidia card?

Also, DXTory has caused every new game in the past 6 months to crash on startup for me. Have you tried it on Witcher?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
It may work if you add the game as a non-Steam shortcut, although since the Steam Overlay reportedly doesn't, it probably won't also. Still, no harm in trying.

I have been playing the gog version via Steam with the steam overlay ( and fps counter on ) for a few hours and it works fine.

TeaFan

I7 4770k @4.0ghz, 980 running smooth at 1080 without hair works or motion blur. I have crashed just now though on a restart of the game. I'm running it through gog launcher btw

The witcher 3 looks stunningly breathtaking in 4k.

Finally hooked up my pc (sli 980) to my 65 curved 4k Samsung, was waiting for the witcher 3 to move to 4k (from 1600p).

Big mistake, I can never go back now. It's just as substantial as when I first gamed at 1600p years ago.

Performance is fantastic, all settings maxed out with hair works on it's 30-40 fps.

That's weird, because the ingame toggle works fine here. Same "stutter" as on the ps4. I also think it's a hassle to have to lock it externally. Why even have the ingame option if it's not gonna work.

JaseC

I have been playing the gog version via Steam with the steam overlay ( and fps counter on ) for a few hours and it works fine.

Ah. Well, there you go, then.

You don't need to exit the game.

Shift+Tab and click settings.

Ah, I just assumed it wouldn't enable/disable the counter in real-time. It doesn't help that my Steam skin is out of date and thus all of the overlay text is bunched together. ;)

Zakalwe

Banned
Seems the crash fix I listed earlier has done the trick.

Rolled back nvidia drivers to the GTAV set, set to full screen, and set setting power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" in nvidia control panel.

Was crashing once every half an hour or so. After an hour with the above I haven't had one. Will report back again in a couple of hours.

pahamrick

Does MSI Afterburner work on an NVidia card?

Also, DXTory has caused every new game in the past 6 months to crash on startup for me. Have you tried it on Witcher?

I was using the OSD from MSI Afterburner, well the Rivatuner Server more specifically, fine earlier on Witcher when I was checking some things.

And DXTory works fine on Witcher 3, it's what I've been using to lock to 30fps since last night.

That's weird, because the ingame toggle works fine here. Same "stutter" as on the ps4. I also think it's a hassle to have to lock it externally. Why even have the ingame option if it's not gonna work.

It worked terribly for me, was getting horrendous stutter to the point it was making me feel nauseous.

I've only played the tutorial so far but it seems to run fine on a 7850 2GB, 12GB RAM and Core i7 2600k. My system is a bit mismatched but I am waiting to see if the new AMD cards are worth an upgrade.

Pacotera

Banned
970 GTX + 4.2ghz I5 3750k

1080p all ultra, hairwork off and foliage distance high

60fps locked, smooth

But as other, crashed here too (sound going normally)

played till the first tavern

Skyzard

Banned
witcher3.exe should be in:

C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64

might be x32 if that's what version of windows you're on.

How do I create a desktop shortcut after I installed the game thru GOG?

Right click on the above and send to desktop.

I think GOG has an option for creating desktop shortcuts for games too.

Here are some steam game icons as well (check the link too, has lots):
witcher 3 up in here? lots of nice texted ones over at steambanners.

quick textless:

FQ5LesX.png
Q1ixtnv.png

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Playing the game with a keyboard and mouse feels kinda weird. Have CDPR said anything about native support for the DS4 in a possible update ? I found their tweet from last year around E3 saying it will support it but i guess they forgot ( or didn't care about adding it ).

ValfarHL

It should be A-OK, depending on how sensitive you are to a bit of fluctuating fps, of course.
Your CPU should give you a few frames on me, which for the most part will put you at a steady 60 frames. Then again my 970 is highly clockable, which maybe yours isnt?
My clock gives me about 10+ frames over the default OC on MSI 970 4G.

The biggest drops (to about 40) happens in conversations when focusing on Geralt. It's noticable, but not really an issue.

I run my 2500k at 4.5Ghz, so overclock your cpu too!

A 30 fps lock is out of the question for me.

Edit: WOOOW at the wind effects! This is most atmospheric open world I have ever had the pleasure of playing in!

Corsick

So the little recap cutscene that plays every time you hit continue upon starting the game up again lags really badly for like 3 seconds, then starts playing normally. Anyone else have this issue? It's really jarring and it only occurs in that specific cutscene.

Xdrive05

Just installed. GOG keeps giving me an "installation failed" error when trying to download the 1.01 patch. Anyone else have this problem?

dcassell

Banned
Ha, just had a very dramatic, plot advancing cut scene end with a weird glitched Geralt in frame just saying "DAMMIT" way way louder than anything in the previous audio mix. Probably the most significant bug I've seen so far.

Matty8787

Hairworks is great on monsters but seems glitchy as hell on people, it moves about unnaturally it is strange.

Also not keen on the look of the grass, it looks painted.

Other than that, beautiful game!

are you NVIDIA users using shadowplay to show the FPS or just using FRAPS? By using shadowplay, I mean turning it on, not actually recording.

so I pulled out of the witcher to check my gpu when I started to see some red dots come up every now and then, or maybe artifacts and it seems that this game was pushing my TDP to 112% when it only goes up to 110%, checked everything else and didn't see any throttling happening.

Not even with GTA 5 did this happen or any other game for the past couple months so I wonder if it has to deal with the new drivers acting up or is it just the game demanding that much.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but what does the hardware cursor graphical option do?

I can't figure it out either.

I'm also a little pissed (not much, just a little), that I can't start trying to push the game hard with ini tweaks and hairworks on my dual 7970s because the game bloody runs better on a single card. It's good that I can run the game at a stable 30 and feel happy. I have no idea why it always feels smoother and nicer to lock it at 30 rather than play at some frame rate moving between 35 and 50... But it does.

Alric

It should be A-OK, depending on how sensitive you are to a bit of fluctuating fps, of course.
Your CPU should give you a few frames on me, which for the most part will put you at a steady 60 frames. Then again my 970 is highly clockable, which maybe yours isnt?
My clock gives me about 10+ frames over the default OC on MSI 970 4G.

The biggest drops (to about 40) happens in conversations when focusing on Geralt. It's noticable, but not really an issue.

I run my 2500k at 4.5Ghz, so overclock your cpu too!

A 30 fps lock is out of the question for me.

Edit: WOOOW at the wind effects! This is most atmospheric open world I have ever had the pleasure of playing in!

I've not overclocked anything, yet.

i7-2600k 3.4ghz
gtx 970 ssc 2.0+
16gb ram

I guess I could look into overclocking it a bit.

Top Bottom