• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

jett

D-Member
On my Geforce setting max prerendered frames to 1 seems to remove most of the judder at 60fps. Try it with AMD's equivalent, Flip Queue Size.

Not sure how to do that, apparently it doesn't work with RadeonPro on DX11 or something.

Thanks for that writeup. So would you say all Ultra at 30 FPS is possible with the 280x?

No, ultra foliage + ultra shadows will brutalize your framerate.

The framerate cap is certainly not useless. For some people, myself included, a stable framerate is crucial to avoid motion sickness.

WIth that said, I recommend limiting the framerate with an outside utility rather than the built-in one, such as RTSS or nVidia's driver option.

Many people have had crashes due to the ingame framerate cap so yeah, definitely use an outside utility. Hairworks is very unoptimized so definitely don't turn it on.

synce

If nothing else helps, you can overclock with NvidiaInspector.
I did a 135 MHz core overclock (which is the maximum), set refresh rate to 50 Hz instead of 60,
and used RTSS to limit fps to 25 in 800x600 borderless windowed mode.

Thanks. Never heard of RTSS, I'll look into it

A little off topic but I was playing the game and rivatuner was showing this weird percentage value next to temp, anyone know how to fix it? It stays no matter if The Witcher is on or off though, but I first noticed it when I was playing last night.

vxeSb9A.jpg

Soi-Fong

Can someone link how we tweak hairworks again? I want to try the 2x MSAA method.

I'm at work right now, but I'm thinking by doing that, I can keep a consistent frame rate above 30 fps with my 780 Ti with all ultra settings with the exception of foliage distance set to high, shadows set to medium and grass density set to high.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
On my Geforce setting max prerendered frames to 1 seems to remove most of the judder at 60fps. Try it with AMD's equivalent, Flip Queue Size.

What else are you doing to get rid of the judder? Using the in-game frame locker to 60? External locking to 60? What about vsync... adaptive, or full through Nvidia? In-game vsync?

I'm currently running with in-game vsync disabled, nvidia control panel vsync on, full-screen, DXTory locking 60fps, unlimited FPS in game, and I've eliminated quite a bit of the "turn camera while walking" judder, but not entirely. It's the best I've found so far after trying like 100 different combinations of the above and others.

Thanks, thought as much based on when I've used it in the past. Is using borderless windowed and/or 1/2 refresh rate in the nvidia control panel advised if locking at 30FPS?

Borderless Windows ingame and I think triple buffering in Nvidia control panel, not sure on that last thing.

This game runs like console garbage...

Well, yeah, it does seem to run about the same as on the consoles yeah. Luckily we have plenty of PCs with more powerful hardware than the consoles.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone link how we tweak hairworks again? I want to try the 2x MSAA method.

I'm at work right now, but I'm thinking by doing that, I can keep a consistent frame rate above 30 fps with my 780 Ti with all ultra settings with the exception of foliage distance set to high, shadows set to medium and grass density set to high.

The Witcher 3\bin\config\base

rendering.ini

ss_lemonade

A little off topic but I was playing the game and rivatuner was showing this weird percentage value next to temp, anyone know how to fix it? It stays no matter if The Witcher is on or off though, but I first noticed it when I was playing last night.

vxeSb9A.jpg
That's the GPU utilization percentage I believe. Did you just update drivers and not reboot your computer? Have you tried restarting afterburner or maybe rtss after a driver update? I got the same thing too after updating my nvidia drivers and noticed that afterburner was still reading my old drivers

Kamina

Golden Boy
I've been playing around a little to see what causes the choppy/stuttering camera on lower 30-40 FPS.
Turns out it is caused by Vsync. When turning off the problem is gone, but you have issues with steps and tearing.
Neither turing off Vsync ingame + turning it to On or Adaptive in Nvidia CP solved the problem.

Static Jak

Awesome drivers nVidia. GJ guys.

Exited the game and had the same issue (not quite as bad but the same pattern) in Windows.
Disabling and re-enabling the graphics card didn't fix it, had to reboot the PC.

This sort of thing along with the crashing is pissing me off.
This is honestly the worst driver update I've got from Nvidia. They most have rushed this one out for launch.

Go to your witcher 3 folder > bin > config > base.

Open the Rendering.ini file in something like notepad++ and find the line that says HairWorksAALevel=8. Change the 8 to either a 2 or a 4. Or 0 to turn off AA. Then mark the file as read only afterwards.

Kamina

Golden Boy

I'm on a GTX980.
Setting Hairworks MSAA from 8 to 2 gave me 5+ FPS. It only drops to the high 40's when i'm running around in dense forest areas, everything else being set to Ultra, except Foliage to High. Otherwise i am on 55 - 60 FPS.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
What else are you doing to get rid of the judder? Using the in-game frame locker to 60? External locking to 60? What about vsync... adaptive, or full through Nvidia? In-game vsync?

I'm currently running with in-game vsync disabled, nvidia control panel vsync on, full-screen, DXTory locking 60fps, unlimited FPS in game, and I've eliminated quite a bit of the "turn camera while walking" judder, but not entirely. It's the best I've found so far after trying like 100 different combinations of the above and others.

I have a 144hz gsync monitor and two 980s in SLI and the judder is very strange. When I use the xbox controller to pan the camera around Geralt while standing still or moving it's silky smooth. With the mouse I get the annoying judder and I can't get rid of it. My fps is always above 60.

b0bbyJ03

I'm on a GTX980.
Setting Hairworks MSAA from 8 to 2 gave me 5+ FPS. It only drops to the high 40's when i'm running around in dense forest areas, everything else being set to Ultra, except Foliage to High. Otherwise i am on 55 - 60 FPS.
Do u have hairworks set for everything or just Geralt?

Portugeezer

The crashes seem to get more frequent now. I think I might just wait for a patch rather than saving every 5 minutes just in case.

Exited the game and had the same issue (not quite as bad but the same pattern) in Windows.
Disabling and re-enabling the graphics card didn't fix it, had to reboot the PC.

Witcher 3 gives access to the Cyberpunk 2077 beta confirmed.

Thaedolus

I've had my driver crash while browsing the web a couple times too. No reboot, but it becomes unresponsive for ~10 seconds, then black screen, then notification that it crashed and restarted.

That's the GPU utilization percentage I believe. Did you just update drivers and not reboot your computer? Have you tried restarting afterburner or maybe rtss after a driver update? I got the same thing too after updating my nvidia drivers and noticed that afterburner was still reading my old drivers

Yeah maybe its just a restart, I thought I may have after updating last night but maybe not.

UnrealEck

I've had my driver crash while browsing the web a couple times too. No reboot, but it becomes unresponsive for ~10 seconds, then black screen, then notification that it crashed and restarted.

Yeah this was happening to me with (I think) the GTA5 drivers. Something to do with 3DVision was causing it I think. When it crashed it was trying to recover several times so I'd see that little notification from my taskbar popping up and blinking because it was trying to reload the drivers.
I didn't used to have much trouble with nVidia's drivers in the past.

Is there a way to bind the Dualshock 4 touchpad so that it open up the worldmap?

I think ds4windows itself may let you change the touchpad to act as different keypresses. Is like to try setting it to whatever key opens map.

I also haven't figured out how to get to the save /exit type menu on ds4

Still can't believe that lowering the clocks on my GPU stopped the crashing. Also dropped my temps by 10-15 degrees. I mean, really? Even on a FTW model which is factory OC'd. I lost about 10fps though, obviously, so I turned down foliage to high and now I'm back at stable 60fps. No hairworks.

God dammit. Had my third crash reading something in the inventory. Thought this shit had stopped since I turned off my GPU over clock.

I have everything stock in my rig and I get random crashes when im in the inventory screen. The fact that it happens ONLY when im in the inventory screen leads me to believe its a bug not an issue with overclocking.

Kezen

Banned
Tearing even with adaptive vsync... Why?

Locked at 30 fps

Adaptative vsync is not supposed to prevent tearing. The vsync is dropped when you don't exceed your monitor's refresh rate.
As soon as you hit 60 vsync is engaged, but below that you will get tearing.

At least this is what happens the few times I've tried.

I have everything stock in my rig and I get random crashes when im in the inventory screen. The fact that it happens ONLY when im in the inventory screen leads me to believe its a bug not an issue with overclocking.

Yup. It's blowing my mind how many people are having issues, and nothing seems to fix it. Hopefully they can get a fix out by the weekend. Or that's going to be quite annoying.

Last night it seemed like turning off vsync and setting fps lock to unlimited helps, but then the game didn't look great running at 70-80 like that.

Yup. It's blowing my mind how many people are having issues, and nothing seems to fix it. Hopefully they can get a fix out by the weekend. Or that's going to be quite annoying.

Last night it seemed like turning off vsync and setting fps lock to unlimited helps, but then the game didn't look great running at 70-80 like that.

Its quite annoying but it makes me save constantly so that isn't so bad. They need to get a fix out for this.

s_mirage

Wow, hairworks runs like absolute crap on my 780Ti: it drops below 30 fps when the camera gets close to Geralt's head. Nice going Nvidia, you've created an effects package that requires a mystifying amount of GPU grunt compared to how good it actually looks.

Hairworks off doesn't look bad anyway.

nomis

Is anyone else running Windows 10 with SLI?

There's the 352.84 W10 driver released on the 15th of May, but does it have SLI compatibility for this title? Is it possible/recommended to install the Windows 8.1 352.86 driver instead?

jett

D-Member
Wow, hairworks runs like absolute crap on my 780Ti: it drops below 30 fps when the camera gets close to Geralt's head. Nice going Nvidia, you've created an effects package that requires a mystifying amount of GPU grunt compared to how good it actually looks.

Hairworks off doesn't look bad anyway.

Seriously, the camera is so far away from the action and the game is so effin' dark, you can even barely tell what kind of hair anyone has, especially minor monsters like the wolves.

Regarding the AMD method to optimizing Hairworks through CCC, it's not working on my 280X...

Top Bottom