• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

SliChillax

If I'm not mistaken some people were reporting before that the new drivers cause crashes, right? Mine crashed twice while using the web and two times during gaming. Now the game froze and the PC just restarted itself.

Wow, hairworks runs like absolute crap on my 780Ti: it drops below 30 fps when the camera gets close to Geralt's head. Nice going Nvidia, you've created an effects package that requires a mystifying amount of GPU grunt compared to how good it actually looks.

Hairworks off doesn't look bad anyway.

Yea I have hairworks turned off and It isnt worth the performance drain. Hairworks off and Foliage distance set to High with everything else set to Ultra makes this game hit a constant 60 frames a sec with my GTX 970.

mdsfx

Yea I have hairworks turned off and It isnt worth the performance drain. Hairworks off and Foliage distance set to High with everything else set to Ultra makes this game hit a constant 60 frames a sec with my GTX 970.
Same... When it's not crashing

Barzul

I wonder when they'll be releasing another patch. I remember back when Dying Light came out, they released one that fixed most of the issues a couple of days later, hope CD Projekt RED can do something similar with their game.

Piggus

Decided to turn hairworks off and turn foliage view distance back up to Ultra, doubled grass density in INI, and edited shadows to render/cascade about 4x further out. Makes a massive difference and essentially eliminates noticeable pop-in for shadows and grass. IMO Geralt's hair looks better without hairworks anyway. It's much less glitchy.

Averaging 80 fps, so there's headroom for intense scenes when vsynced at 60 fps. May be able to tweak a couple more settings, but I'm very happy with how it looks.

Gbraga

Thanks, thought as much based on when I've used it in the past. Is using borderless windowed and/or 1/2 refresh rate in the nvidia control panel advised if locking at 30FPS?

Borderless, vsync off, unlimited framerate + RTSS gives the best results at 30fps, according to Durante.

Though you should note that some people have been reporting stutter in Borderless mode, so it might not work for you.

hodgy100

get a pretty consistant 60fps on my r9-290 with everything on ultra apart from:
SSAO instead of HBAO
High shadows
High foliage distance
hairworks off.

it will be interesting to see if AMD's driver increases performance.

JohngPR

I just want my inventory to stop crashing :(. I'm afraid to use it.

Do you have HBAO+ turned on? Probably not related but I turned it on to try it out and it crashed when I was in the menus...turned it off 12 hours ago and it hasn't happened since.

Seriously, the camera is so far away from the action and the game is so effin' dark, you can even barely tell what kind of hair anyone has, especially minor monsters like the wolves.

Regarding the AMD method to optimizing Hairworks through CCC, it's not working on my 280X...

Did you turn on Hairworks in game when you tried the AMD trick? It's not immediately explained in that one thread, but it has to be on to take effect.

Wag

Really? On two titan x's OC 1400oc and I'm Struggling to run all ultra settings at 4k (aa disabled), massive fps dips to 35ish no matter ultra/high/medium but yet GTA5, DA3 all run fine at 4k at 60fps with everything maxed. Funnily enough it runs at 1440p maxed fine, hardly pushing the cards at all. The cards also are not throttling at all when playing at 4k

I was getting system lockup every few mins that would lock the system up, removed drivers reinstalled with just the drivers and not geforce experience and that fixed the issue, but the performance im getting now is frustrating as hell.

Little info:
5820k @ 4.4k OC
2x titan X
16gig 2400hz ram
Game running of SSD

My setup is:

i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz OC
3 older Titans 6GB SLI
16GB 1600DDR ram.
Hybrid drive.

Seems to be running well with all settings on ultra @ 4k. I haven't done any frame rate tests or anything. I suppose I could install FRAPS and see what I get.

I have gotten driver crashes relatively often as of late (seemed to occur twice while quick saving...).

Driver crashes mind you. I thought it was my overclock... turned it down a bit... but it still happened. Hrmmm.

aravuus

Do you have HBAO+ turned on? Probably not related but I turned it on to try it out and it crashed when I was in the menus...turned it off 12 hours ago and it hasn't happened since.

I don't want to turn off HBAO+ :(

But I guess I gotta do everything in my power to prevent freezing. A game that doesn't freeze > a better looking game that keeps freezing.

b0bbyJ03

Is it just me or does this game have that "fish eye lens" look. Reminds me of the effect that FPS games give you when you pull back the FOV. Has anyone messed with FOV settings yet?

charpunk

First time in awhile for me where the driver is crashing just browsing the web. I've had about 5 or so C2Ds with no error message during my 10-15 hours of play so far. Most of them just scrolling through inventory.

Axial

Well, finally got rid of the stuttering/lag by completely turning off AO in the postfx settings tab. Runs pretty good now with a mix of med/high settings(all other postfx effects turned on) at 1080p and locked 60fps.

Is anyone having trouble using a DS4 with and without DS4Tool? I've tried everything and am at a loss. My Wii U controller works just fine but it isn't really good for this kind of game.

I had to set shadows and foliage to medium to get 55-60fps, and it still drops below that and hovers somewhere below 60fps. I am using a GTX 780 and I find the performance absolutely disgusting. And it is supposed to be a modern 500$ card.

I had to set shadows and foliage to medium to get 55-60fps, and it still drops below that and hovers somewhere below 60fps. I am using a GTX 780 and I find the performance absolutely disgusting. And it is supposed to be a modern 500$ card.

Same here, my 780 all of a sudden has just been getting destroyed in recent games. I understand that games get more power hungry but the performance drop off happened so suddenly. I've had to start playing on my 1080p TV whereas 1440p ultra was fine 99% of the time.

spuckthew

Guys...

Is it worth having foliage distance on Ultra and shadows on High (or even Medium?), rather than foliage distance on High and shadows on Ultra.

I've seen people suggest maybe 5-10fps with lowering the shadows, but for me lowering foliage distance just one notch gives a 20-25% performance increase.

What's better?

Is there anyway to zoom in? I hate how far away the camera is from Geralt.

Also, for some reason Nvidia control panel stopped working as of the most recent driver update. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm running 4K and everything ultra aside from foliage distance (high), hairworks, and HBAO+. I seem to get pretty consistent 60fps with my titan X.

CHC

Same here, my 780 all of a sudden has just been getting destroyed in recent games. I understand that games get more power hungry but the performance drop off happened so suddenly. I've had to start playing on my 1080p TV whereas 1440p ultra was fine 99% of the time.

Yeah mine too. The game is playable but performance is really not good, struggling to remain capped at 30 with high settings.

Wounded

Guys...

Is it worth having foliage distance on Ultra and shadows on High (or even Medium?), rather than foliage distance on High and shadows on Ultra.

I've seen people suggest maybe 5-10fps with lowering the shadows, but for me lowering foliage distance just one notch gives a 20-25% performance increase.

What's better?

I bumped the foliage down. I barely notice it, really.

There has to be a memory leak or something in the menu, seeing that that's where everyone seems to be getting freezes. Last night I must have played for 20 minutes. The rest was trying to get the fucking thing to work.

So annoying.

People who are getting freezes in menus or otherwise where the game freezes but sound continues, what hardware are you running?

I have a stock 4690k
Gigabyte 970
8gb RAM

I'm wondering if it's because the 970 I have is factory overclocked I believe. But fuck that, I shouldn't have to do anything about that, all other games run perfectly.

Guys...

What's better?

Set foliage at high and shadows at high or ultra; even foliage at medium isn't that bad unless you are in a very open space with uniform geometry.

Foliage is more demanding. You will notice grass loading 15-25 meters away if you look carefully; it is worth setting it on high in some open spaces where you can actually see it. Otherwise, anything above medium or high is overkill unless you can afford it. In the case of thick woods, cities and villages, you don't have to set it at ultra.

UnrealEck

Guys...

What's better?

Foliage on High and shadows on Medium seems like a good performance to visual ratio.
Medium to high+ shadows isn't that noticeable during gameplay. In fact, it's hard to really say one's better than the other in screenshots either.

As for foliage though, you can notice that a bit more when going lower than High.

No crashes so far.
Don't get too comfy with that.

Portugeezer

This might sound stupid, but is there a way to change the keybindings? Want to change quick save to left mouse button if that is even possible.

(in case anyone is wondering, it is to then put DS4 touchpad as quicksave as it can mimmick mouse buttons but setting touchpad to F5 does nothing)

Rig:
i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz (stock)
EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 (factory OC)
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium
NV driver 352.86

Settings:
Graphics on HIGH detail all across the board
SSAO
Borderless Window
All POST processing on except vignette, chromatic aberration, depth of field, and motion blur
Hairworks off

1080p, smooth 60fps. Game is so good. I reached the sweet spot really quickly and went from tweaking to gameplay immersion incredibly fast.

Just wish the inventory crashes WOULD END. CDPR pls.

Decided to turn hairworks off and turn foliage view distance back up to Ultra, doubled grass density in INI, and edited shadows to render/cascade about 4x further out. Makes a massive difference and essentially eliminates noticeable pop-in for shadows and grass. IMO Geralt's hair looks better without hairworks anyway. It's much less glitchy.

Averaging 80 fps, so there's headroom for intense scenes when vsynced at 60 fps. May be able to tweak a couple more settings, but I'm very happy with how it looks.

Could you tell me what lines you edited to make these changes? Grass density/shadow rendering/etc.. Also, what spec is your machine?

Thanks!

spuckthew

Thanks for the quick responses re foliage distance. I'm capping at 30fps so I don't really need more performance by lowering shadows a notch or two, so I think I'll just stick to High foliage with everything else on Ultra (minus HairWorks of course!) It seemed reasonable when overlooking the balcony at the beginning so I'm pretty content with that setup.

Foliage on High and shadows on Medium seems like a good performance to visual ratio.
Medium to high+ shadows isn't that noticeable during gameplay. In fact, it's hard to really say one's better than the other in screenshots either.

As for foliage though, you can notice that a bit more when going lower than High.

Medium shadows are a bit more aliased and "flicker-y" than high setting ones. You won't really notice it at higher distances and in motion; it might be noticeable in cutscenes though.

Also, Nvidia's forums have probably three or four topics of full of Kepler GPU complaints. I tested the driver roll back thing (reverted back to 347.88) and I gained few extra frames per second, but I noticed stuttering and loading issues.

jett

D-Member

Did you turn on Hairworks in game when you tried the AMD trick? It's not immediately explained in that one thread, but it has to be on to take effect.

Of course. :p My framerate still plummeted. I changed the level of tessellation while I was playing, there was no change at all, so the settings aren't affecting the game, for some reason.

Akhe

tumblr_lxvih1whVR1r9xktio1_500.gif

Dude, don't say that = (

Banned
I kept telling myself that I'd need new GPU and now I wonder why I even thought about it. The 760 is more than enough if you can do without 60fps or 1440p.
Guess I can wait for Pascal.
Which most people in this thread probably can't :p

I got a stock 780 and a 1440p monitor with gsync. I wanna see if anyone can ultra it at 40+ fps.

Top Bottom