• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Gumbie

Okay so regarding rolling back with the drivers, I've just tried going back to 305.12 (GTA 5 drivers) and there's no difference in performance. I'm on a 780 Ti, had all settings maxed except HairWorks at 1080p, used the balcony at the beginning as a benchmark. Most intensive place to look gave me 42 fps. Did the same but with the 350.12 drivers. Exact same framerate.

Going to test 347.88 and if there's no difference I'm giving up. I'd simply take the claims over in the forum with a grain of salt until Nvidia responds about the Kepler issue (they said they were looking into it over in reddit and the Nvidia forums). There's still something up with the performance though, but all this concludes is that rolling back does nothing.

One more test.

Don't know if there is any merit to it but I saw some users on the geforce forums saying 347.52 upped their performance. I can test when I get home on my 780ti.

[Asmodean]

If anyone hasn't tried yet: I was able to net about 10-20 fps in certain areas of the game, and while running around. By setting the CPU prio to high. I knew my CPU usage seemed low before. The fans weren't even ramping up. (3770k @ 4.4)

To have it start high prio by default everytime (if you're familar with the registry) you can add the key below;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\witcher3.exe\PerfOptions] “CpuPriorityClass”=dword:00000003

JohngPR

Of course. :p My framerate still plummeted. I changed the level of tessellation while I was playing, there was no change at all, so the settings aren't affecting the game, for some reason.

Just covering all the bases. :)

It worked for me but I lost 8 frames using it at 8x and it wasn't worth it to me.

Palehorse

If anyone's curious, here's another comparison of foliage ultra (left) versus high (right)

Which areas. Can you give some examples so we can test this? I doubt if the game's in need of CPU resources it won't be getting them just because it's set to normal priority.

Can anyone help by pointing out the difference between the two? I see the fps difference noted at the top, but the actual foliage...it looks identical for all intents and purposes.

(Maybe I'm foliage-blind and can comfortable run at High)

JohngPR

Anyone have any idea if someone has made a mod to make the text bigger yet like they did in TW2? I'm playing the PC version on a TV and the text is just a touch smaller than I'd like it to be.

Karak

Can anyone help by pointing out the difference between the two? I see the fps difference noted at the top, but the actual foliage...it looks identical for all intents and purposes.

Fourth hill out on highest setting has some trees the other doesn't

H4r4kiri

X1 controller but, yea, sometimes.

It's the walk->run transition for me. It feels like he stumbles into a run and once the stumble starts you're kind of locked into that direction for a second or two.

Feels awkward.

I'm with you...controls feel a bit wonky and movement definitely looks odd sometimes, liek animations are missing or something.

Definitely a bit jarring after playing something like GTA V.

I feel the walking about is a bit stiff and inaccurate for sure, It seems to take a while for the witcher to stop still so I always overshoot everything.

Definitely. Also the way game requires your viewpoint to face things so you can loot them (or do any action) is really annoying. Jumping on the horse is rather difficult at times. It's such a far cry from Red Dead Redemption's ease. I gotta say that despite the slight movement lag, the GTA/RDR control system works really well.

I really hope they listen to feedback and keep patching the game.

Am I the only one who has the game running perfectly? Sure, I got plenty of hardware (970 SLI, 16 GB RAM, SSD, 4.5 GHz CPU...) but at 1440p I have yet to experience any hitches or crashes whatsoever with everything on max and Hairworks on.

I talked about his in the OT and got ignored. I don't like the animations or feel of Geralt himself sometimes. I never feel like I'm fully in control of him and have fallen off little cliff edges and died cos he didn't run the direction I wanted. Like he does a little running half circle to turn around instead of just running the opposite direction, hard explain.

I also don't like the combat at times, feels like each sword swing is sort of different or it doesn't happen immediately and I'm at the mercy of Geralt's movements. After coming out of like a hundred hours of Bloodborne though I guess anything would feel clumsy.

Still really like it though so I don't want to come off rambly or pessimistic

Guys thats exactly how i feel :(

Shadownet

Banned
I think ds4windows itself may let you change the touchpad to act as different keypresses. Is like to try setting it to whatever key opens map.

I also haven't figured out how to get to the save /exit type menu on ds4

Yeah I tried that. try binding it to the M key on the keyboard (for Map). It doesn't register. Whenever I press the touchpad, Geralt will only punch (or swing his weapon if I have it equipped).

Gtx 970 faster than 780ti on 10fps, and 280X runs the witcher 3 even better than gtx 780..
How this could be?

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt-game-new-1920_h_off.jpg

Tenebrous

To the right of Geralt's right arm. On the Ultra setting, on the land in the distance, you can see the foliage. On high, you just see the ground.

Also on the hill to the far left.

C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\patch0\bundles

Should replace the file here then, I assume.

(Back up first to be safe).

Or you can hex edit the original yourself if you like:

hex editing the exe said:
006F4E6C: F3 -> 31
006F4E6D: 0F -> C0
006F4E6E: 11 -> 89

Does anyone know how to repack .bundle files with quickbms?

hlhbk

C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\patch0\bundles

Should replace the file here then, I assume.

(Back up first to be safe).

Or you can hex edit the original yourself if you like:

Does anyone know how to repack .bundle files with quickbms?

LOL I was confused. Thanks!

LOL I was confused. Thanks!

Np! This is going to be how a lot of things start happening in the next few days with regard to mods

I have a mod to get rid of the opening cinematic so you boot straight to main menu in the works atm (need to test) which works with the same principles pretty much

Zabant

I know the GTX 760 isn't the greatest card, but when it can't even do 1080/60 with absolutely everything set to the lowest possible setting while OC'd something is up.

Nvidia sabotaging the Kepler series just for the upgrade potential I bet.

Even the PS4 version is a few FPS higher with comparable settings at 1080

Kinthalis

Banned
Really finding the underperformance of the 780ti interesting. I own one, for one ;)

Now, I know that the 700's are not as fast at tessellation, but turning off Nvidia gameworks stuff totally, still shows massive underperformance on the 780ti vs EVERY other game out there. The 780ti usually performs like a 970, but it's performing more like 20%+ under that card!

What's up?

Kezen

Banned
Really finding the underperformance of the 780ti interesting. I own one, for one ;)

Now, I know that the 700's are not as fast at tessellation, but turning off Nvidia gameworks stuff totally, still shows massive underperformance on the 780ti vs EVERY other game out there. The 780ti usually performs like a 970, but it's performing more like 20%+ under that card!

What's up?

It's becoming harder and harder not to conclude that Nvidia are simply not pushing Kepler as hard as they used to. Performance in older games is still as good with the latest drivers but new games should perhaps perform better.

ApharmdX

Banned
Going back through the thread a bit, I don't see anyone who has a 970 SLI setup commenting on performance. I'm thinking about replacing my 290X with two 970 cards. Other specs- 4770K @4.5GHz, 16 GB RAM.

My target is 1440 at Ultra settings and 30 fps. Is this reasonable? VRAM usage in this game doesn't hit on the 970's weakness, and I'd be overclocking, of course.

b0bbyJ03

What's up?

I don't think tesselation has anything to do with it anyway. The 780ti outperforms the 290 in that department yet the 290 is outperforming the 780 in this game. I really hope NV just overlooked something cause it's scary to think that a card that cost $650 just a few months ago isn't being supported properly. I have a 980 and the last thing I want is this kind of treatment a year or two down the line when they release pascal.

Static Jak

I've set it to everything.
Geralts Hair is definitely the biggest resource hog. The horse and Griffin trophy barely take 3 FPS with hairworks on and MSAA on 2.
I hope someone figures out how to turn Geralts hairworks off while keeping the rest on.

Gumbie

What's up?

Apparently this started happening in Project Cars too? I saw some people on geforce forums saying a 960 surpasses a 780

http://www.techspot.com/review/1000-project-cars-benchmarks/page6.html

Techspot Project Cars benchmark said:
An interesting result we observed was the GeForce GTX 970 performing slightly faster than the GTX 780 Ti in clear conditions and much faster when it’s raining. Even more surprising, the GeForce GTX 960 was slightly faster than the GTX 780. That’s a stab in the eye with a sharp pencil for Kepler owners right there.

For months we've been hearing Kepler owners complaining about the lack of optimization as Nvidia appears to be focusing solely on Maxwell. If we look back at our GeForce GTX 960 review in January we see that in almost every game tested the GTX 780 crushes the GTX 960.

To the right of Geralt's right arm. On the Ultra setting, on the land in the distance, you can see the foliage. On high, you just see the ground.

Also on the hill to the far left.

Yeah higher Foliage loads trees pretty damn far. I guess messing with ini tweaks and decreasing the grass load distance while maintaining that tree load distance is better; I remember Skyrim having similar LOD issues.

Crashing went away by turning down my memory overclock. In fact, it opened up the possiblity to clock my core higher due to how power works on Maxwell.

A great day.

bltn

Funny, haven't had a single crash in 8~ hours of gameplay on my 970 SLI setup. However, I've had the nvidia driver crash twice on me 20~ seconds after I've shut down the game. Really weird.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My crashing stopped when I removed my GPU overclock, day one crashing every 10 mins, I haven't crashed in the past 15 hours since removing it. Every other game has worked fine with my previous setting.

mdsfx

looks like you guys are on the right track.

From CDPR support:

"Hello,

Would you be willing to try running the game after returning your CPU and GPU clocks to factory values, simply so we can know if the crashes are related to overclocking in any way?

Also, try updating your game via GOG galaxy client.

Kind regards,
Marcin Kulikowski"

Going back through the thread a bit, I don't see anyone who has a 970 SLI setup commenting on performance. I'm thinking about replacing my 290X with two 970 cards. Other specs- 4770K @4.5GHz, 16 GB RAM.

My target is 1440 at Ultra settings and 30 fps. Is this reasonable? VRAM usage in this game doesn't hit on the 970's weakness, and I'd be overclocking, of course.
Sli 970s here at 1440. With aa off and hairworks off I get between 60-85fps

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

charsace

The difference is that LOD is more aggressive on high so you have some trees missing and some lower detail assets start showing up closer to the player than they do on Ultra. Game still looks fucking great though.

DPB

Count me in too, the movement feels very off. It's okay when you're running through big open space but if you have to do anything slowly with any precision it's unwieldy.

I don't know why they changed it from TW2, the animations were sub-par but at least it didn't feel like you were moving across ice.

RVone

Neo Member
looks like you guys are on the right track.

From CDPR support:

"Hello,

Would you be willing to try running the game after returning your CPU and GPU clocks to factory values, simply so we can know if the crashes are related to overclocking in any way?

Also, try updating your game via GOG galaxy client.

Kind regards,
Marcin Kulikowski"

Well, for some people this does seem to be the issue. However, in this thread there have been several people pointing out that the crashing/hanging also happens on stock settings.

I know they said that the game isn't too demanding on your cpu, but is an i7 860 way underpowered for this? I'm pairing it with a 670 and I'm hoping I can eclipse the performance of the PS4 version.

Thoughts?

buffelo

Neo Member
I know they said that the game isn't too demanding on your cpu, but is an i7 860 way underpowered for this? I'm pairing it with a 670 and I'm hoping I can eclipse the performance of the PS4 version.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a Herculean task honestly. Maybe you will find success though, who knows. This is not a super cpu-intensive game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Welcome to the janky world of euro rpgs my good friends :p

The Witcher 3 is obviously CDPR at a much higher level/budget/polish level but it still reminds me of some of the janky euro rpgs that I love so much and hold dear. Though to be fair I don't find things to be as bad some of you feel. Enjoying the combat a lot so far.

Vitor711

OMG they need to fix these hard crashes when in the inventory - I'm apparently no longer allowed to read the bestiary now because I'm too scared that it will cause a crash.

Latest Nvidia driver, 980 here. Need to rollback and see if that helps. Stock clocks btw - no OC at all.

Apparently playing in FS instead of Borderless would help but it still happened.

teokrazia

So, I have carefully conserved for all these years over 5 GBs of TW2 Gog version save files.
Is there a way to let TW3 Steam version to read them?

Top Bottom