• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Crzy1

Someone said this earlier. I couldn't find proof of it. What did you use to conclude it's the case?
Also, I don't think Witcher 3 uses tessellation other than on hairworks.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/20

The compute performance of the 780 Ti is slower per CUDA core, but the fact that the 780 Ti has many more cores narrows the gap by a bit. It's "slower" in that manner, but not to the point that it should fall behind the 970 and definitely not the 960. All I can see is Nvidia ignoring the card to focus on Maxwell so that their "top-tier" cards don't get smoked by AMD's 2+ year old architecture. It should perform worse with Hairworks on, but with it off, the 780 Ti and 980 should be close. I can't think of anything the engine would be doing that could cause the kind of gaps we're seeing otherwise.

Edit: On that note, performance in GTA V for me improved greatly in certain areas with the 352.86 drivers, so they may just need to make a few tweaks for Kepler.

UnrealEck

Ocean water too is tessellated, but your point still stands.

I read they took that out along with terrain and building tessellation.
I know there's still an engine command in the game, but it doesn't mean it's still functional.

From looking at the water, it doesn't look tessellated at all. In fact, it looks pretty poor.

I know there's still an engine command in the game, but it doesn't mean it's still functional.

From looking at the water, it doesn't look tessellated at all. In fact, it looks pretty poor.

They only ever, to everyone's knowledge and from all the documents they ever published, used Tesslation for terrain generation and for water (both of which are still in). Now it also uses tesselation for hairworks.

They did experiment with character tesselation years ago (no media ever produced with it), but they said it made their art pipeline unmanagable and less dynamic.

Buildings and world objects in the media presented do not show the micro detail that would indicate anyform of tesselation. Just look like normal meshes.
Yeah I think almost everyone. It looks like the animation is a few frames shy of looping and so it just does a weird skip on every cycle of it.

I would love to figure this out. I think it is actually the camera movement keeping up with geralts uneven cadence. His motion and speed is not constant while running. It has a slower cycle and the camera seems to jerk to maintain the same character distance when his gait momentarily slows. (same on horse which also has non-constant speed)

Exentryk

I was getting 60 fps ultra everything (high foliage density and high shadows) at 1080p with Hairworks and HBAO+ on. The fps do drop to 40-50 when the camera zooms in on Geralt, but it still looks quite smooth to me. I am playing with a single oc GTX 980 at 1080p on my TV.

Very happy with the performance so far (first area after tutorial). Haven't had any crashes either.

coolmast3r

Nvidia is looking into the weak Kepler performance

I sincerely hope they are cause TW3 is like truly the first game ever that I can't get running at constant 60fps even at lowest graphical settings with a OC'd 670 and an i5 3570K. Although I realise that my card even at the moment of it's launch (3 years ago) was still a mid-high end card and now it should be considered low end, it's kinda surprising to see it underperforn like that while in GTA V for example I can maintain 60-65fps with mid-high settings. And although the upgrade to a new top notch GPU such as 980 would be a great idea considering the amount of cool games coming out on PC I still am not decided with this. If this whole "Kepler-gate" or whatever thing is real and it's all had been done just for the purpose of pushing people towards cashing out on a new GPU then... Well, I dunno what to do anymore.

UnrealEck

The compute performance of the 780 Ti is slower per CUDA core, but the fact that the 780 Ti has many more cores narrows the gap by a bit. It's "slower" in that manner, but not to the point that it should fall behind the 970 and definitely not the 960.

I can believe this looking at comparisons of the 780 Ti (2880 cores) and 980 (2048 cores) in compute heavy games like Ryse, where the 980 still beats the Ti.
However, the Radeon cards are still faster at compute. The 290x beats the 980. But, in Witcher 3, it's not the case, in fact the 980 beats it by a significant amount. It wouldn't be that much of a point if it had just beaten it, but it's quite a bit faster.

I don't think compute performance is the answer.

They only ever, to everyone's knowledge and from all the documents they ever published, used Tesslation for terrain generation and for water (both of which are still in). Now it also uses tesselation for hairworks.

I'd have to dig through my posts but I posted an article in the downgrade thread which featured an apparent CDPR employee saying they removed tessellation on things including the water. The guy also said something else which if I remember right came to light when the game came out. I'll need to check for it again. But just looking at the water in the game previously and now, I can believe it's possible they removed tessellation on it altogether.

I guess it's probably testable too since the engine command is still in the files and should still work.

It's back in with the release patch. The water doesn't look that good because it's poorly shaded, as if someone slapped on a phong shader
Nvidia said:
Out in the oceans in wholly unsuitable boats, and on wind-swept lakes, the difference between detail levels is immediately evident, with waves and ripples gaining increased detail as the setting is raised. Behind the scenes, it's revealed that Water Quality adjusts the DirectX 11 Tessellation Factor of water, doubling the detail level at every step
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...g-guide#the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-water-quality

Nbz

I have a single 970 and let NVIDIA optimize the game for me. Not losing out on too much, thankfully, but I'd sacrifice ultra textures to get a constant 60 FPS any day

UnrealEck

It's back in with the release patch. The water doesn't look that good because it's poorly shaded, as if someone slapped on a phong shader
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...g-guide#the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-water-quality

I'll check it out.
I clicked onto that nVidia guide and searched for tessellation and found this too:

nVidia said:
Terrain Quality is intended to increase the geometric detail of terrain surfaces through the application of tessellation, but in our supposedly-final build the setting has zero impact in every one of the thirty-something locations tested.

Regardless of all this anyway, I've yet to be convinced Maxwell is noticably better in tessellation than Kepler.
I checked Heaven's benchmark on extreme tessellation and there was no noticable difference than the performance we expect in games (eg. 780 Ti in between 970 and 980.)
Plus, if it even were, I think it's unlikely the water is the culprit for a 960 beating a 780 lol.

Can we just all agree to get the torches out and start hounding Nvidia

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Amd users don't even have crossfire yet, that should be causing a bloody rabble.

As above, I would be even more pissed if I owned a 7990 and it ran like a 7970 for this game ATM. Dang!

UnrealEck

Amd users don't even have crossfire yet, that should be causing a bloody rabble.

As above, I would be even more pissed if I owned a 7990 and it ran like a 7970 for this game ATM. Dang!

Both of them are sucking a bit atm.
I want to start my own graphics card company. With blackjack and hookers.

The Cowboy

Any patch yet?
Hopefully it should be available within 5 to 7 days.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

Before I get into the nitty-gritty, know that a big patch with 600 changes - including improvements to graphics and graphical settings - was sent to certification today (Wednesday 20th May), and will take between five and seven days to clear. There will be patch notes covering it all. In addition, CD Projekt Red will patch the game to allow editing of .ini files on PC, to push graphical settings even higher. You will be able to tweak grass and vegetation density, post-processing effects such as sharpening, and draw distances. The .ini patch will arrive soon after the other patch. "And we think about some other tricks but we need time," Adam Badowski says.

Brofist

I have a single 970 and let NVIDIA optimize the game for me. Not losing out on too much, thankfully, but I'd sacrifice ultra textures to get a constant 60 FPS any day

So change it? I usually use the Nvidia optimizations and then slightly tweak the settings in most games to my liking.

antonz

The tessellation change for AMD gpus is crazy effective for hairworks. Setting it to 8X with my 290 and Im rocking roughly 50 fps

Piggus

I know they said that the game isn't too demanding on your cpu, but is an i7 860 way underpowered for this? I'm pairing it with a 670 and I'm hoping I can eclipse the performance of the PS4 version.

Thoughts?

You might pull 5 fps average, maybe 10 in caves or without any NPCs around while looking at a brick wall (with textures on low, of course). Your best bet is to throw your PC In dumpster, forget you ever owned it, and quit gaming forever.

You'll be fine... That CPU is still great. :)

aravuus

The 970 has more than enough of VRAM to handle the ultra textures, turning the setting down won't really boost your performance at all.

Going from ultra to low would give you like... 5fps more lol.

WarpathDC

Playing with a OCed GTX 970 and i5 3570k @ 4.2. 8gb ram.

I am playing on ultra at 1080p with gameworks and it runs great. Not a steady 60fps but the drops are still well north of 30. Only hiccup I noticed is some stutter or lag when aiming the crossbow
at the first royal griffin
but it seems more like a glitch than a frame drop. It's hard to explain.

Still looks amazing and very well optimized IMO

Oh and don't launch this game via big screen mode on Steam. CTD with a fatal driver error every time.

Also:

Not a performance issue per say but I play on a 60" with a controller and on a couch a bit away from the tv and some of the text is very small. I wish the hud and font could be enlarged.

Vitor711

OK, regarding the crashes, I've sifted through the rumor mill and can confirm the following:

Borderless/Full-Screen mode is not the culprit.
Using MSI or any external performance measuring tool is also not to blame.

I'm starting to think it is related to the latest Nvidia driver. I still haven't rolled back to check.

LordAmused

OK, regarding the crashes, I've sifted through the rumor mill and can confirm the following:

Borderless/Full-Screen mode is not the culprit.
Using MSI or any external performance measuring tool is also not to blame.

I'm starting to think it is related to the latest Nvidia driver. I still haven't rolled back to check.

Uncapping FPS, disabling V-sync (forced it through NCP) and running fullscreens SEEMS to have fixed it for me.

kamspy

After the GTAV grass wars, I don't know that I'm ready to go back into foilage combat.

I've got a AMD 1100t and a 2 GB 680.

I'm looking to run 1080p 30fps with Hairworks on everything. What am I going to have to sacrifice?

I would love to figure this out. I think it is actually the camera movement keeping up with geralts uneven cadence. His motion and speed is not constant while running. It has a slower cycle and the camera seems to jerk to maintain the same character distance when his gait momentarily slows. (same on horse which also has non-constant speed)

Animations and camera are sort of janky all over I think. It feels very clumsy and jerky at times

After the GTAV grass wars, I don't know that I'm ready to go back into foilage combat.

I've got a AMD 1100t and a 2 GB 680.

I'm looking to run 1080p 30fps with Hairworks on everything. What am I going to have to sacrifice?

Foliage Distance and Shadow Quality along with hairworks are said to be the biggest hogs

Vitor711

Uncapping FPS, disabling V-sync (forced it through NCP) and running fullscreens SEEMS to have fixed it for me.

Those were the only things I hadn't tried. I might uncap it and see if I can't force it to lock at 60 with an external program.

Fullscreen did nothing on my end - just made it so that I had to restart my PC on lock because I couldn't change the window to task manager. Very annoying.

2 long sessions, still 0 crashes on my AMD cpu/gpu combo PC.

The tessellation change for AMD gpus is crazy effective for hairworks. Setting it to 8X with my 290 and Im rocking roughly 50 fps

Yeah, it's crazy. Even my old PC can run hairworks at 30 fps capped on medium-high lol.
I don't even dream my PC can run hairworks at all.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Big patch sounds good since there's not much wrong with it. Bigger text, inventory crash fix, general stability improvements and any performance improvements would be great. I doubt they can do much about the clunky controls though.

Kyaw

Anyone getting microstuttering?

Got an AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHz and 680GTX 4GB at stock clocks.

I tried setting pre-render frame to 1 in Nvidia control panel and tried switching V-Sync off and on as I've read those suggestions around the internet.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom