• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Penguin

Even if The Mummy does less than stellar, I hope Universal sticks with it

I think sometimes... folks need to... instead of just tossing out the building blocks... try again with a more reasonable budget and expectations.

Toa TAK

Banned
I kinda want The Mummy to do well, at least for the sake of re-introducing these monsters for younger peeps who haven't seen the original black and white films.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This is one of the things I never get. Superhero films are just codified genre action films, based on properties that folks already know are successful.
Exactly. That people still call them superhero films is pretty ignorant. This was a war movie. Ant-Man was a caper movie. Civil War was an espionage thriller. Etc. People who actually anticipate fatigue don't even watch the movies. They just want to complain because lots of movies are coming from comic books and they think "well maybe I should complain because it's easier than trying to understand".

Don't get me wrong, there are action staples. Just like the same action staples in the theater every month that don't come from comics.

I'll tentatively go with $35M/$100M for The Mummy, though there's a good chance things just bottom out completely for it if reviews are awful.

I do think that it will probably save face overseas. Even Van Helsing back in 2004 made 60% of its cash overseas (Dracula Untold was 74%) and Tom Cruise vehicles have routinely made 70+% of their cash internationally. So if the Mummy isn't a breakout domestically, I think it will still make $400M worldwide. Whether that's enough to continue the Dark Universe, I can't say for sure.

Boke1879

I kinda want The Mummy to do well, at least for the sake of re-introducing these monsters for younger peeps who haven't seen the original black and white films.

Even if The Mummy does less than stellar, I hope Universal sticks with it

I think sometimes... folks need to... instead of just tossing out the building blocks... try again with a more reasonable budget and expectations.

Gotta agree with you two. These are classic monsters that I think should be timeless. But It seems they are trying to go big budget with these and I don't know if that will work.

Maybe something with a modest budget and focused would yield more success.

I want The Mummy to be a good movie before I hope for its success. If it's Transformers with Universal Monsters I'd rather they didn't continue down that path.

Schlorgan

I want The Mummy to be a good movie before I hope for its success. If it's Transformers with Universal Monsters I'd rather they didn't continue down that path.
On one hand, it's Alex Kurtzman directing and on the other it's David Koepp and Christopher McQuarrie writing, so it could really go either way.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
captwondy_zpsxr2pfrou.png

Cap approves

Schlorgan

I'd love Pegg to write a tell-all someday detailing his rewrite, it'd be incredible.
According to Lin, Pegg wrote the script in six weeks. As long as it reportedly took Ayer to write SS.

I wish they would just let Lin/Pegg keep going with that franchise. I'd love to see what they'd do with more time.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
According to Lin, Pegg wrote the script in six weeks. As long as it reportedly took Ayer to write SS.

I wish they would just let Lin/Pegg keep going with that franchise. I'd love to see what they'd do with more time.

Shit was so good too.

Beyond was aiight. But it seems like they're taking 10 steps back on these films by bringing back time travel and freaking Chris Hemsworth as his dad

No thanks

Schlorgan

There was definitely some cringe in that movie with the motorcycles and the Beastie Boys (I'm gonna blame Lin for this) but it really hit a great tone and gave a lot of the characters things to do. It felt like Star Trek.

In an
interview
, he said he didn't want to do the motorcycle part at first because of his previous films, but he was convinced to, as it fit with the theme of having to use old technology to fight a more advanced enemy.

Do kids really need to be introduced to things like mummies, werewolves, and Frankenstein? They've been re-introduced through so many other different stories in various ways throughout the years I doubt anyone is totally unfamiliar with them. Which is partially why the whole idea is kind of a fart.

Beyond was aiight. But it seems like they're taking 10 steps back on these films by bringing back time travel and freaking Chris Hemsworth as his dad

No thanks
I have this suspicion that, if the fourth Trek film gets made, they're pulling a DOFP and collapsing the two timelines. Could also explain why the new series takes place before TOS.

Anth0ny

Made this based on the 54 Marvel and DC films released since 2000:

superheromovieschartwwzcb.png

The golden era really kicked off with Avengers in 2012. Comic book movies not only hit $2 billion for the first time that year, but $3 billion. Hasn't been below $2 billion since, and last year completely smashed the previous record. So if anyone says thinks superhero fatigue is a thing that's happening any time soon... yeah.

Last year was the biggest of all thanks to Deadpool, BvS, SS and Civil War mainly. I don't know if this year will be able to top it, though I do think it's possible if everything goes well (Wonder Woman gets massive audience thanks to positive WOM, Spidey gets the Tony Stark boost, Thor gets the... Hulk and Dr. Strange boost? And Justice League gets 90%+ on RT en route to $1.8b!)

DeathyBoy

Banned
Exactly. That people still call them superhero films is pretty ignorant. This was a war movie. Ant-Man was a caper movie. Civil War was an espionage thriller. Etc. People who actually anticipate fatigue don't even watch the movies. They just want to complain because lots of movies are coming from comic books and they think "well maybe I should complain because it's easier than trying to understand".

Don't get me wrong, there are action staples. Just like the same action staples in the theater every month that don't come from comics.

Oh is this like how Winter Soldier was a 1970s spy fillm?

Marvel can throw those buzzwords out, it doesn't mean they're true. And casting Redford doesn't make it All The Presidents Men 2.

Oh is this like how Winter Soldier was a 1970s spy fillm?

Marvel can throw those buzzwords out, it doesn't mean they're true. And casting Redford doesn't make it All The Presidents Men 2.
Obviously not, but it's a hell of a lot closer to those movies than it is to Christopher Reeves Superman.

What I'm interested in with The Mummy, is how Universal is going to deal with the potentially disappointing numbers. Is this another Dracula Untold or will they simply cut down the budgets for all the "Dark Universe" films?

I'm not sure about the opening (35 million, maybe?) but I predict the movie will make around 250 million worldwide. But who knows, it could totally blow up in some territories.

Is The Mummy the final test of Cruise's box office viability?

Seems like everything he's in recently that hasn't been Mission Impossible has tanked.

?

Looking at films he has done during last 10 years Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is pretty much only movie you could say tanked (didn't make double the budget that I usually see as a limit for break even). While movies like Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion were not hits they didn't really tank either.

kswiston

Made this based on the 54 Marvel and DC films released since 2000:

superheromovieschartwwzcb.png

The golden era really kicked off with Avengers in 2012. Comic book movies not only hit $2 billion for the first time that year, but $3 billion. Hasn't been below $2 billion since, and last year completely smashed the previous record. So if anyone says thinks superhero fatigue is a thing that's happening any time soon... yeah.

Last year was the biggest of all thanks to Deadpool, BvS, SS and Civil War mainly. I don't know if this year will be able to top it, though I do think it's possible if everything goes well (Wonder Woman gets massive audience thanks to positive WOM, Spidey gets the Tony Stark boost, Thor gets the... Hulk and Dr. Strange boost? And Justice League gets 90%+ on RT en route to $1.8b!)

If you include Lego Batman this year, it is possible that 2017 tops 2016 if the remaining 3 films get excellent returns. Otherwise, I think it will be pretty hard to hit that mark. We should see another $4B year though, even without Lego Batman.

Sinsem

?

Looking at films he has done during last 10 years Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is pretty much only movie you could say tanked (didn't make double the budget that I usually see as a limit for break even). While movies like Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion were not hits they didn't really tank either.

2017-06-0514_32_50-JackReacher_NeverGoBack2016-BoxOfficeMojo.png

Looks alright to me. Probably a better ratio than Edge of Tomorrow even.

I would want it to do well if it respected its tradition but all I'm seeing is a Tom Cruise blockbuster directed by Alex Kurtzman.

As far as I'm concerned it's shitting all over its roots by going modern and it's not what I want from these properties; pretty much the last thing I want from things like the Mummy, Wolfman, Dracula, etc. It's just not what these things should be.

But that's just my perspective and to be honest I didn't care for the Sommers films being so cheeky and humorous and Van Helsing 2004 was an absolute travesty.

Caode

Update:

Gitesh Pandya‏ @GiteshPandya 14m14 minutes ago
#WonderWoman flexed more muscle than WB expected SUN dipping only 16% from SAT vs 28% estimate. $103M+ opening wknd, bright road ahead.

Top Bottom