• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Boke1879

IF that's the case. I'm not at all shocked. My 4:10 showing was completely sold out and so was the earlier 2:05 showing and some of the later ones.

It seems WOM is doing great for this. Definitely interested in how it does on the weekdays leading up to this coming weekend.

A drop in the bucket, but the big IMAX in Austin at the Bullock museum has extended WW showings for a second week. Its clearly exceeding expectations across the board.

The only reason I couldn't watch WW in IMAX 3D is cause Pirates still had the damn contract at my theater

Anecdotal, but anytime work people brought up WW, they mentioned that the reviews were stellar, so

The only reason I couldn't watch WW in IMAX 3D is cause Pirates still had the damn contract at my theater

Anecdotal, but anytime work people brought up WW, they mentioned that the reviews were stellar, so
Reviews in this case matter more becuase of BvS and Squad. Never heard my friends talk about reviews but with BvS they did.

They only normally last a week?

Depends on the movie. Something like a new Star Wars would get two or three weeks. I know WW was only scheduled for one week originally because my friends wanted to make sure we saw it there. Guess it did well enough to get extended.

Boke1879

Reviews in this case matter more becuase of BvS and Squad. Never heard my friends talk about reviews but with BvS they did.

First day back at work for a lot of people since this movie came out. I can see it being a big discussion among people who have seen it and as you said people talking about reviews.

$29.7M is fantastic; only $500K less than Suicide Squad's Sunday despite WW's OD being 41% less ($64.9M vs. $38.2M).

I would say Wonder Woman now has a good shot at outgrossing Suicide Squad, as well. WOM is certainly very strong.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So a 16% Sunday drop is obviously fantastic. Historically what does this mean for 2nd weekend numbers?

WB is trying to figure out how to replicate this. Well reviewed film with legs.

Maybe they could keep letting people who understand superheroes make decisions.

I just read that Patty Jenkins had to fight to keep No Man's Land in the movie, as the execs didn't understand the point of it.

DJChuy

Fantastic numbers for Wonder Woman. Going to see it next week.

The Boss Baby hold up pretty well. It has stronger legs than Fate of the Furious, but I take as it doesn't have any direct competition or alternative.

I am so damn happy for Wonder Woman. All I'm seeing everywhere is people talking about how good it is, and now people that never planned on going to the theater to see it now planning too. What a home run for DC.

Now we all pray they don't fuck this momentum up and release a dud in Justice League. Please let that film actually somehow turn out good.

Unless The Mummy gets glowing reviews (lol) I don't see WW having any meaningful competition until Cars 3 (God why?).

Yeah Mummy at least domestically is looking to be an under-performer and really I don't think it would really be the sort of film that would take much attention away from WW regardless.

Given that pretty damn amazing 16% drop on Sunday it seems to show word is getting out on the quality of the film. I expect a very good hold next weekend.

Maybe they could keep letting people who understand superheroes make decisions.

I just read that Patty Jenkins had to fight to keep No Man's Land in the movie, as the execs didn't understand the point of it.

Holy FUCK if this is real. No Man's Land is one of the best scenes I've ever seen in super hero movie, and if WB really wanted it taken out that's pretty eye opening for the sort of decision making going on there.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, that hold over the weekend has got to mean good things for both next weekend and the full run. I can see <50% drop for this weekend. $100m isn't so top heavy that a big fall is inevitable, with WoM this strong.

Boke1879

Holy shit WB execs are dumb as rocks lol

While I don't get why they had a problem with it. This isn't something that's exclusive to just WB. Most execs are dumb as rocks.

That said I can't find myself even being upset at this because it is in the movie. Which means they were ultimately gave the ok for it.

Decided to whip up some daily projections for the next week. Wonder Woman's 15.6% Sunday is pretty phenomenal, especially when we consider the game last night had stronger ratings than last year (both were kind of blowouts). We've seen examples with TDK, Inception, and Avengers that blockbusters with strong WOM and a great Sunday hold often have a fantastic Monday drop as well. I would expect Wonder Woman to hold about 10% better than the norm, which judging from the last couple years, should be around 65%.

Code:
Mon: $13.0M   -56.30%
Tue: $15.1M   +16.15%
Wed: $10.1M   -33.11%
Thu: $9.2M     -8.91%
Fri: $15.7M   +70.65%
Sat: $20.5M   +30.57%
Sun: $15.4M   -24.88%

2nd w/e: $51.6M -50.02%
10 day total: $202.3M

Which would be a slightly higher second weekend than BvS (was $51.3M). Since Wonder Woman is playing to majority females and WOM among them is stronger than with males, that should help the film considerably through the summer as most other blockbusters are almost guaranteed to attract majority men. I don't think it's unreasonable right now to think WW can top BvS domestically; that's how good the Sunday hold and WOM appear to be right now.

Top Bottom