• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Looks like there are scripts for a Furiosa movie but people are waiting on Miller.
”I'd love to," Theron tells Variety. ”There were three scripts. They were written as back stories to Max's character and to Furiosa's character. But at the end of the day, this thing lives and breathes with [director] George [Miller]. I think Warner Bros. knows that. We are all waiting for him to show us the way."

On space and F&F:
”Outer space? Listen, I wouldn't rule anything with this franchise. When I read submarine I'm like ‘OK, anything's possible'. [Laughs] You never know. I haven't read ”Dom on Mars" yet but again, you just never know."

firelogic

I'd rather a sequel to Fury Road that follows Furiosa and how she handles leading her new people as well as battles with the other broken factions who also have new leaders stepping up. It would also be interesting if Furiosa discovers that she's slowly turning into another Immortan Joe because she realizes what he did was out of necessity in order to ensure the survival of his people in this stark environment and she's making the same decisions despite hating her life under his regime.

A prequel seems unnecessary because I think we know all we need to know about her past. I don't think it's vital that we're shown her childhood, how she became Imperator, or how she lost her arm. Leaving the details to the imagination is better imo since we had glimpses of her past in Fury Road.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Deadline is saying High 50s to low 60s for Apes and low 50s for Spider-man this weekend.
So a mid 50s drop? How's that stack up against other 115-120m OW movies and where have similar films with that size 2nd Wknd drop ended up after their BO run?

kswiston

So a mid 50s drop? How's that stack up against other 115-120m OW movies and where have similar films with that size 2nd Wknd drop ended up after their BO run?

A mid 50s drop is considered good on the MCU scale. Most of their films drop 55-60% in their second weekend.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
A mid 50s drop is considered good on the MCU scale. Most of their films drop 55-60% in their second weekend.
I guess it still could fall into that range depending on just how low 50s it records. Are we most likely looking at 320m-340m DOM?

J_Viper

For comparison, Star Trek Beyond's opening weekend was $59m.

IMG_0876.jpg

Schlorgan

For the Star Trek Beyond parallel to go all the way, Apes will be nominated for an Oscar and lose what should be an easy win against the worst movie of the year.

It paid for the shitty marketing sins of Paramount.

The "sins" of Into Darkness got immediately/drastically overinflated by Star Trek fandom.

If Faraci hadn't written about that one fan convention that voted it the "worst film in the series" and if that resultant blogpost hadn't gone viral the day it did, pretty much cementing the bullshit narrative that it was a terrible movie everyone hated...

I dunno. It mighta still underperformed.

But Beyond's box-office performance has not much to do with Into Darkness, and EVERYTHING to do with Paramount completely fucking botching its marketing on the 50th anniversary of the series.

Anyway, just for the fuck of it:

1) Wrath of Khan
2) Star Trek
3) The Undiscovered Country
4) Beyond
5) First Contact
6) Into Darkness
7) The Voyage Home
8) The Search for Spock
9) The Motion Picture
10) Generations
11) Insurrection
12) Nemesis
13) The Final Frontier

Schlorgan

Let's go!

1. Wrath of Khan
2. The Voyage Home
3. Beyond
4. The Undiscovered Country
5. Star Trek (2009)
6. The Search For Spock
7. Everything else

1. The Wrath of Kahn
2. The Undiscovered County
3. Star Trek
4. Beyond
5. The Voyage Home
6. The Motion Picture
7. The Search For Spock
8. Into Darkness
9. The Final Frontier

Never watched the TNG movies.

Lima

People laugh at me when I rank 2Fast2Furious as the best in the series :-(

I know that feel my brother Lee

Toa TAK

Banned
I mean, don't get me wrong, Into Darkness is the weakest of the bunch (for a myriad of reasons), but I can honestly say I had the most fun watching that one of the recent films.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I've only seen the 2009 and up films, so

1: Into Darkness
2: Star Trek
3: Beyond

1: Star Trek
2: Beyond
3: Into Darkness

I too have only ever watched the new films, and I've never watched the TV series, and yet my newb mind knows that Into Darkness was a steaming pile of shit. I can't remember a single redeeming thing from that film. As person who saw the first film three times in theatres, due to being so surprised in how good it was (was dragged by a friend to see it the first time), I was really disappointed with how the second one ended up being.

Bad things about Star Trek 2009:
Kirk is a fucking dick
Spock is a dick

Bad things about Into Darkness:
Cumberbatch shouldn't be Khan, just a dude
Scotty leaving was dumb

Bad things about Beyond:
Hiding Idris Elba for half the film
Motorbike Mayhem

We hungry cuh

Tyrese can only do SO much

Boke1879

2 Fast is one of the most rewatchable movies ever for me. It's scary how many times I've seen it.

Shit when I was younger and it finally aired on HBO. They'd replay the movie at certain times everyday. I watched it more times than I can count.

Lima

2 Fast is one of the most rewatchable movies ever for me. It's scary how many times I've seen it.

Correct. I've seen it like 30 times probably. Always catch it when it's on TV.
It's always a fun time. It introduced Tyrese to the franchise and is endlessly quotable.
You can also learn every possible variation of bro.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
You know I'm in.

01. The Undiscovered Country
02. The Wrath of Khan
03. Star Trek
04. First Contact
05. The Voyage Home
06. Beyond
07. Into Darkness
08. The Search for Spock
09. Nemesis