• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

LEGO Batman on the same flight. That one at least made me chuckle at times.

Loki, Captain Marvel, Nick Fury, Dr. Dre and Easy E couldn't save Kong.

Think about that.
But Dr. Steve Brule did.

Yes you do.
I honestly don't. The amount of plot and the nonsensicalness of it all varies so wildly between them; Age of Extinction basically has no plot while The Last Knight is a cinematic nadir of overstuffed, convoluted madness.

Batjag

Putting this list together just had me thinking theres probably a bunch of standalone episodes of ST better than half these movies

I'd say there are at least a couple dozen Trek tv episodes better than any of the movies.

Star Trek is, in its essence, a tv franchise that also does movies. Its mirror image is Star Wars, a movie franchise that dabbles in tv.

Dude, I watched Kong Skull Island on a flight to Thailand. You're grounded.

Bobby had it right all along.

That movie is horrible beyond belief. My best description is, it is a TF movie with superior cinematography, all the plot of a TF film and none of the serrated metal.

That second act was particularly shitastic.

Skull Island is baaaaad. I felt sorry for the VFX team who clearly put a lot of work into making Kong look good. They deserved a better film. At least it looks like they're getting more work.

*satisfied nodding*

High five, man.

Into Darkness was great. I've never understood the internet backlash after it came out to positive reviews from critics and I enjoyed the hell out of it myself.

I'm pretty sure the venn diagram of people who hate Into Darkness shares a perfect circle with The Force Awakens.

TFA is far better but Into Darkness is a great movie.

Then I'll bring the locker to u

tumblr_o5ylcgJiB41ultu3qo1_400.gif

J_Viper

Star Trek
Into Darkness

Beyond

For the record, I've seen nothing of the original series.

Beyond has great character moments and acting, but my god the action scenes were worse than Suicide Squad's. I have no idea how Lin dropped the ball so hard when Fast Five and Six have some of the best set pieces known to mankind.

And the "Sabotage" scene...What in the fuck were they thinking?

kswiston

I finally saw Get Out.

I couldn't fully buy into the end reveal, but the the rest was solid. Daniel Kaluuya was great.
Allison Williams nailed the girlfriend stuff. Not so much the post-reveal "I entrap black men for body harvesting" evil bitch stuff.

I would probably give it an A- if I was adding it to last weekend's report card.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I finally saw Get Out.

I couldn't fully buy into the end reveal, but the the rest was solid. Daniel Kaluuya was great.
Allison Williams nailed the girlfriend stuff. Not so much the post-reveal "I entrap black men for body harvesting" evil bitch stuff.

I would probably give it an A- if I was adding it to last weekend's report card.

I saw Get Out last week too, and pretty much agree with you.

I can totally buy Allison Williams as the evil bitch because I cansee her character from Girls in it.

I think it worked as a film that broke down tropes used commonly in films. I would give it a 4/5 personally.

WaffleTaco

If you start with Fast Five you should be fine. I did the same.

I do wonder if at some point F&F try to dial things back even if it's just for one movie
That's not what the movies are about anymore though, they are not even denying them going to space...

Lima

I do wonder if at some point F&F try to dial things back even if it's just for one movie

If they reboot it after 10 I can see that yeah.

Meanwhile I can recommend the French movie Overdrive. It's not an awesome movie but it has some well choreographed action and chase scenes and focuses on the cars. And my god are there some beautiful cars in that movie.

Coincidentally features Scott Eastwood, too.

Sinc we are listing Trek film rankings I will bite.

1) The Voyage Home
2) Wrath of Khan
3) First Contact
4) Star Trek 09
5) The Search for Spock
6) Generations
7) Undiscovered Country
8) Beyond
9) The Motion Picture
10) Into Darkness
11) Final Frontier
12) Insurrection
13) Nemesis

kswiston

Remember what I said about Girl's Trip months ago. I think it has a good chance being the highest grossing comedy of the summer.

Assuming that you are not counting GotG2 as a comedy, that's a pretty low bar this year. $60M would be enough to be the summer's higgest comedy.

Malcolm D Lee's last two films were $70M and $54M. They were sequels, but between the reviews for Girl's Trip, and the cache he built on the Best Man films, I agree that the film will connect with an audience.

I am curious to see if Girl's Trip breaks out of its target African American demo and gets higher cross demographic play than Barbershop and Best Man. People looking for comedies have had anaemic offerings for months.

WaffleTaco

Remember what I said about Girl's Trip months ago. I think it has a good chance being the highest grossing comedy of the summer.

I hear this, but it's hard for me to watch a franchise without starting from the beginning.
Honestly, I went into Fast Five without seeing a trailer or knowing anything about it (my friends wanted to go and I was like "sure why not"). I wasn't really lost and actually became a fan of the franchise because of it. I'm usually in a similar boat as you in regards to movies.

Cheebo

Banned
Get out of my home.

It's less embarrassing than not seeing the original run of Star Trek films, however. Much much much much less so. And I love F&F.

If someone hasn't seen Wrath of Khan they should be banned from every entering a movie theater again until they fix that.

Assuming that you are not counting GotG2 as a comedy, that's a pretty low bar this year. $60M would be enough to be the summer's higgest comedy.

Malcolm D Lee's last two films were $70M and $54M. They were sequels, but between the reviews for Girl's Trip, and the cache he built on the Best Man films, I agree that the film will connect with an audience.

I am curious to see if Girl's Trip breaks out of its target African American demo and gets higher cross demographic play than Barbershop and Best Man. People looking for comedies have had anaemic offerings for months.

Of course I'm not counting GotG2. LOL It's a superhero action blockbuster film. Sure the bar is low this year, but African American films are consistent performers on lower budgets.

Honestly, I went into Fast Five without seeing a trailer or knowing anything about it (my friends wanted to go and I was like "sure why not"). I wasn't really lost and actually became a fan of the franchise because of it. I'm usually in a similar boat as you in regards to movies.

I need to do what you did, because I keep putting off watching Fast and Furious. I watched like the first 3 or 4 when they first came out and don't remember shit, but I feel like I need to watch them again before starting 5, 6, 7, and 8.

I hear this, but it's hard for me to watch a franchise without starting from the beginning.

don't worry fam I got u here's a quick little primer

Dom Toretto: Likes Dodge Charger, loves family, keeps beating up people with wrenches
Brian O'Conner: Is a no good cop, loves Dom's sister Mia, did I mention he's a no good cop
Everyone else: Is cool

It's less embarrassing than not seeing the original run of Star Trek films, however. Much much much much less so. And I love F&F.

If someone hasn't seen Wrath of Khan they should be banned from every entering a movie theater again until they fix that.

I didn't grow up with Trek or Wars so I don't care

I was all in on Serenity though

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Beyond has great character moments and acting, but my god the action scenes were worse than Suicide Squad's. I have no idea how Lin dropped the ball so hard when Fast Five and Six have some of the best set pieces known to mankind.

You're out of your mind. The drone boarding, the battle in the destroyed ship, and the rescue mission are all spectacular action scenes.

I'm pretty sure the venn diagram of people who hate Into Darkness shares a perfect circle with The Force Awakens.

TFA is far better but Into Darkness is a great movie.

I'm your exception.

I didn't hate Into Darkness, but the movie completely falls apart with even a moment's thought. It also commits the sin of having things that make no sense in-universe (transporter that works across light years) and a nonsensical plot.

I mean, it was a fun ride but a complete waste of a great character and not worth a rewatch.

TFA, on the other hand, I rather enjoyed and saw twice in the theater. I guess I expect more/better from Trek than Star Wars, which has always been more science fantasy than Trek.

EDIT: I'm hesitant to rank ST movies because I'm going to realize how many of them are garbage.

there's a lot of top critic reviews in that Girls Trip RT score. insane it turned out at least decent.

I don't understand how's it insane it turned out decent when Malcom D Lee's last film Barbershop: The Next Cut got a 90 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, and his film before that The Best Man: Holiday received a 69 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

BumRush

Fast 5 is a ton of fun. It's definitely when the series made it's shift towards "superheroes doing implausible if not impossible shit" but it's still super fun

It seems to me a lot of comic fans keep overrating everything as "stuff that will make a billion", and those expectations absolutely need to be reined in sooner or later

Plus they're not accounting how Spider man has been rebooted 3 times in a relative short time span.

The fact it's still performing well says a lot.

WaffleTaco

Yup, a billion was never in the cards. Hell we even having people saying Thor 3 will make a billion.

Top Bottom