• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

you average 23+ posts a day on NeoGAF...

fiXLJrs.png

This legitimate evidence says otherwise!

You know I'm in.

01. The Undiscovered Country
02. The Wrath of Khan
03. Star Trek
04. First Contact
05. The Voyage Home
06. Beyond
07. Into Darkness
08. The Search for Spock
09. Nemesis
10. Insurrection
11. Generations
12. The Motion Picture
13. The Final Frontier
TNG crew sure got done dirty in the end, though at least All Good Things is one of the great series finales.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
TNG crew sure got done dirty in the end, though at least All Good Things is one of the great series finales.

They really did get a short stick with their movies. Their series finale and their second movie are both pretty great. The other movies are varying shades and styles of rough.

"Let's slingshot around the sun and teleport back in time to just the right moment"

That's a tough pill to swallow. If it's that easy, everyone should be time traveling all the time!

Mrbob

She Venom?

Keep Spiderman away from the Spideyverse. After all the work Marvel has done to rebuild Spiderman Sony is going to ruin everything by pulling Spiderman from the MCU for their own shitty universe.....

Hopefully the pull of having Spiderman attached to the MCU is so beneficial to the solo movies Sony will be forced to renew a contract with Marvel.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I've only seen the 2009 and up films, so

1: Into Darkness
2: Star Trek
3: Beyond

High five, man.

Into Darkness was great. I've never understood the internet backlash after it came out to positive reviews from critics and I enjoyed the hell out of it myself.

The "sins" of Into Darkness got immediately/drastically overinflated by Star Trek fandom.

Into Darkness is an all round terrible movie that really should not be high on anyone's 'good movie' list. Hell, the first shot is "planet Nibiru" which is a direct reference to Von Daniken's crap and has since been co-opted by conspiracy culture, meaning that the first shot immediately ties it to a whole host of nutcase shit, including the anti-Semitic variety. Yeah, this is a great way to start something.
(I know this because of reasons)

And then you see the rest of it, and completely forget like, two hours later. Not kidding either, I rewatched it last month and I've frankly already forgotten it. There's nothing there of worth, unless you think random nudity or ass-shot while approaching Klingons are somehow good things. (seriously, wtf is the context of that shot? Are we supposed to fear this engagement or bring out the lube? How is that in there? WHY is in there? )
But then I think of Abrams as a Bay where you tell what the plot is. I don't like his work at all. It's all empty theatrics without anything real in it.

I have similar issues with his first attempt, which has things like "there was a lightning storm when I was born"... ehm, no, there wasn't? That was a black hole opening and since you've established that, there is no reason why that would happen again nor would nobody know the difference? If a movie doesn't even respect it's own rules, why should I?
(also how does that even work, lightning in space..)

And it just goes on like that. Also, it is sexist as fuck. Seriously, rewatch it with your current sentiments and put it next to the old movies. You're going to see time being reversed where apparently reboot future is the past.

Btw, Beyond is probably the first movie of all of them to have both the antagonist and major character be played by minorities (relative to the US being dominantly white that is). I'm not going to bother counting Klingons in I.D. since they're mostly there to be there for 'awesome white person Cumberbatch' to shoot them. For some reason. Couldn't imagine why that's in a script with sexism in it...

Beyond really should have come out in 2017, not the election year. It would have done better.

edit: oh, and I'm going to be the weird one to say that The Motion Picture, which really should be obvious by its massive cultural presence, is the best ST movie. Sure, Undiscovered Country and Khan are nice too, but The Motion Picture is equally as iconic as ALIEN was in the same year.
I think The Voyage Home is the most charming though. That's the easiest entry point into the series, while being self-aware about it. In hindsight, First Contact wanted to re-do that and the Borg at the same time which is tonally completely out of whack, whereas actual alien probe (why would aliens care about humans anyway?) is a far more legit plot device in Voyage.

So:
1: The Motion Picture
2: The Voyage Home
3: Wrath of Khan
4: Undiscovered Country
5: Beyond
6: First Contact (because schlock)

the rest is pretty much a wash.

Just cause it's free doesn't make the movie better.

It certainly made me drink more!

It's easy Bronson. You bribe a mod to delete your posts and bam-wham-woo suddenly you've been here 6 years without a post. Been there, done that.

Liking your style. Which BoxOfficeGAF mod wants to earn a cool 75 cents?!

High five, man.

Into Darkness was great. I've never understood the internet backlash after it came out to positive reviews from critics and I enjoyed the hell out of it myself.

I enjoyed it the most, though I can recognize Beyond being the best objective film

ZeoVGM

Banned
Into Darkness is an all round terrible movie that really should not be high on anyone's 'good movie' list. Hell, the first shot is "planet Nibiru" which is a direct reference to Von Daniken's crap and has since been co-opted by conspiracy culture, meaning that the first shot immediately ties it to a whole host of nutcase shit, including the anti-Semitic variety. Yeah, this is a great way to start something.
(I know this because of reasons).

... Uh, right.

Quality of the movie aside, I really like the title Star Trek Into Darkness.

I don't know, it's just kind of a unique naming convention.

Same goes for Star Trek Beyond.

firelogic

Not sure if old but Forbes has an article throwing around a lot of dollar figures and numbers regarding Wonder Woman's success.

Have a gander here.

It has now earned a 3.56x multiplier, which is already the fifth leggiest $100 million+ opener ever, behind Finding Dory ($486m/$135m = 3.6), Toy Story 3 ($415 million/$110m = 3.77), Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936.6m/$247.9m = 3.78x) and Shrek 2 ($441m/$108m = 4.1x). And DreamWorks Animation's Shrek 2 opened with $21m via its Wed/Thurs pre-weekend launch. So once Wonder Woman gets to $392m, it'll be the second-leggiest $100m+ opener and the leggiest that opened on a Friday. It's certainly the leggiest comic book superhero movie that didn't open on a Wednesday (or Tuesday) by a mile since Blade back in 1998.

... Uh, right.

Google 'Orci' plus "9 11 truther". Have fun with that.

Now, if you had to guess, whose idea would you think it was to include some random 'balls deep into conspiracy nut stuff' in a movie?

btw, here's just one of the hits created by that search:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/09...darkness-is-a-crypto-truther-conspiracy-movie

And before you ask: Star Trek is pretty much the definition of a 'political franchise' for historical reasons, so putting that shit in there is hardly coincidental. I get that you don't want to know about all this (or don't care) in the context of 'it's just a movie', but that is not a tenable position. I'm sorry for the downer though, assuming you didn't know.

-----------------------

Is that box art real? Because that's really bad.

Star Trek Beyond deserved better.
Much better.

Anyway, just for the fuck of it:

Did this in the Beyond thread and my feelings haven't changed.

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
3. Star Trek (2009)
4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
5. Star Trek: First Contact
6. Galaxy Quest
7. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
8. Star Trek Generations
9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
10. Star Trek Into Darkness
11. Star Trek Insurrection
12. Star Trek Nemesis
13. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Would probably put Beyond before First Contact.

People laugh at me when I rank 2Fast2Furious as the best in the series :-(

I know that feel my brother Lee
As long as Fast and Furious isn't anywhere but the bottom, we cool.

Toa TAK

Banned
He meant to say The Mummy: Tom Cruise: Dark Universe.

Logline: a man who can't move on from times past considers the inherent darkness of the universe, while looking for his mummy.

There you go.

Also, it's still clinging to 385 last I saw kwinston mention it, so it might not be dead-dead... :
Ugh

Why does this Mummy keep rising??

Don't worry, guys. I'll make sure it won't come to home release. 😠

golem

1. Wrath of Khan
2. The Voyage Home
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. Star Trek 09
5. First Contact
6. Beyond
7. The Motion Picture
8. Into Darkness
9. The Search for Spock
10. Generations
11. Insurrection
12. Nemesis
13. The Final Frontier

Putting this list together just had me thinking theres probably a bunch of standalone episodes of ST better than half these movies

ZeoVGM

Banned
Google 'Orci' plus "9 11 truther". Have fun with that.

Now, if you had to guess, whose idea would you think it was to include some random 'balls deep into conspiracy nut stuff' in a movie?

btw, here's just one of the hits created by that search:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/09...darkness-is-a-crypto-truther-conspiracy-movie

And before you ask: Star Trek is pretty much the definition of a 'political franchise' for historical reasons, so putting that shit in there is hardly coincidental. I get that you don't want to know about all this (or don't care) in the context of 'it's just a movie', but that is not a tenable position. I'm sorry for the downer though, assuming you didn't know.

Yeah, I'm not buying into this stuff. Abrams didn't sneak nutjob conspiracy stuff into the movie.

And Devin Faraci is a jackass. His articles are bad and he's a terrible person.

If we team up we can push him into a locker

Dude, I watched Kong Skull Island on a flight to Thailand. You're grounded.

Bobby had it right all along.

That movie is horrible beyond belief. My best description is, it is a TF movie with superior cinematography, all the plot of a TF film and none of the serrated metal.

That second act was particularly shitastic.

Toa TAK

Banned
Dude, I watched Kong Skull Island on a flight to Thailand. You're grounded.

Bobby had it right all along.

That movie is horrible beyond belief. My best description is, it is a TF movie with superior cinematography, all the plot of a TF film and none of the serrated metal.

That second act was particularly shitastic.
Preach.

After seeing The Last Knight, I don't even know what "all the plot of a TF film" even means.

Anyway, things are looking up this summer in the land of the tomato!

cO4Ab4h.jpg

Skull Island is baaaaad. I felt sorry for the VFX team who clearly put a lot of work into making Kong look good. They deserved a better film. At least it looks like they're getting more work.

Top Bottom