• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Practical effects are still really expensive, especially at the scale that the film utilizes them. Nolan strongly prefers practical effects for his films, and they're still quite expensive.

The movie went over budget way early into filming as well. MMFR was known to be a troubled shoot from nearly the beginning.

I think if they made another, they could probably knock the budget down to 100mil and be almost as good.

Corpsepyre

Banned
To be honest, even if they decide not to make another Mad Max, I'll be Ok with the decision. I never expected them to make another Mad Max EVER, or that this would ever come out even considering all the shit the movie went through. Let it be a single, one time only slap on a Hollywood action director's face. A big one.

Tomorrowland with 190 million budget?!

Literally NOTHING on the screen screams this had a high budget. It was 100 million at best. AT BEST

DiddyBop

The marketing for Tomorrowland was some of the worst I've ever seen. I have no idea what the movie is even about.

agreed. No compelling reason for me to be interested in this film based on the teasers and trailers I've seen. Mediocre reviews aren't helping either.

guek

Banned
It looks like there's nothing major scheduled until Jurassic World on June 15. I wonder if studios left May so barren because they expected AoU to have legs like the first.

Even if Mad Max isn't some massive financial success it's already made a fairly sizable cultural footprint which is more than a lot of "blockbusters" can say.

TheXbox

An argument can be made that excessive trailers would ruin a movie's plot, like they normally do.
They should at least establish a premise. I still don't know what it's about. A girl picks up a pin, George Clooney appears and takes her to the future? No conflict or anything, it's just nonsense. Making trailers with a bunch of random, disconnected images doesn't work unless your movie is Star Wars.

Circinus

Haven't seen Tomorrowland, but always a shame to see an original film that is not a sequel or reboot not doing well. I think it looks very interesting and I like that the trailers for Tomorrowland are keeping a lot under wraps imho. Too many trailers for films reveal the whole plot already and spoil big setpieces.

Haven't seen Tomorrowland, but always a shame to see an original film that is not a sequel or reboot not doing well. I think it looks very interesting and I like that the trailers for Tomorrowland are keeping a lot under wraps imho. Too many trailers for films reveal the whole plot already and spoil big setpieces.

I think in Tomorrowland's case the "mystery" backfired big time. Nobody knew what the movie was actually about or supposed to be.

this_guy

Even if Mad Max isn't some massive financial success it's already made a fairly sizable cultural footprint which is more than a lot of "blockbusters" can say.

What "cultural footprint" are you talking about? I watched it based on all the positive reviews and thought it was meh. I haven't seen the 80s movies so I'm probably missing some back story, but Mad Max didn't really do anything for me.

Ridley327

I think in Tomorrowland's case the "mystery" backfired big time. Nobody knew what the movie was actually about or supposed to be.

Right. The big issue is that they went too far with the mystery box aspect of the trailers. I know that's how a lot of the Bad Robot alumni operate, but this was excessive even by their standards.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Furious 7 - $1.499B
Avengers: Age of Ultron - $1.264B
Mad Max: Fury Road - $212M
Pitch Perfect 2 - $187M
Cinderella - $526M
The Maze Runner - $344M (I think this finally opened in Japan)
Home - $360M
Tomorrowland - $59M

EDIT: Beaten to most of these by Xaosslug's update!

Toa TAK

Banned
Worldwide Updates:

Furious 7 - $1.499B
Pitch Perfect 2 - $187M
Cinderella - $526M
Home - $360M
Tomorrowland - $59M

At least it made back its budget.

Kinda shrugged Tomorrowland off when I read a blurb saying it was Disney's potential Harry Potter. Even in the few cryptic ads I saw it looked like a rip off.

kswiston

At least it made back its budget.

The studio is only going to receive 40-45% of the worldwide take.

Please remember, movies don't take 100% of the box office money. In the USA they took a bigger chunck than the international market (again sometimes they just got 30-40% of the box office there)

At least the US take should end up being pretty good given its opening. By the end of tomorrow it will be at ~$95M, so a finish in the $135-150M range looks doable.

Wanderer5

Worldwide Updates:

Furious 7 - $1.499B
Pitch Perfect 2 - $187M
Cinderella - $526M
Home - $360M
Tomorrowland - $59M

EDIT: Beaten to most of these by Xaosslug's update!

Looks like Home did good, thank god.

Corpsepyre

Banned
What "cultural footprint" are you talking about? I watched it based on all the positive reviews and thought it was meh. I haven't seen the 80s movies so I'm probably missing some back story, but Mad Max didn't really do anything for me.

You're a minority, but that's cool.

Oersted

You answered your question in the sentence right after.

Alrus

Mad Max could have a had a relatively okay WW run if they had managed to release it in China. At this point I think it's looking at 350M WW which considering the budget isn't that great. Not a disaster but doesn't really give me hope for a sequel.

Also Home badly underperformed in overseas market, kind of a meh results overall. I'm not sure Dreamworks is very happy with it.

Pixar directors now 2 for 2 in directing big budget live action bombs for Disney.

Wonder what huge budget film they will give Pete Docter that they can piss away the money with.

Who's the second one? Brad Bird and? I'm blanking on a recent Disney bomb from another Pixar alum :|

Poor Tomorrowland. The initial trailer showed some promise. I'll still see it, but after I see Mad Max (tomorrow finally, for my dad's birthday) and AoU again.

Toxi

Banned
Mad Max Fury Road is a fantastic movie that does extensive characterization and world-building without extraneous exposition while still having a laser focus on its main plot. The action scenes are visually astounding, using creative set pieces, great practical effects, and steady camera-work. The movie has tons of subtle touches that add thematic depth and let you notice new things on rewatches. The pacing is exquisite, never dragging in the same way some other action movies do.

Oh yeah, and it's ABSURDLY BADASS.

It's a real shame it isn't doing better, but I'm telling everyone I see to go see the movie.

Oersted

Mad Max could have a had a relatively okay WW run if they had managed to release it in China. At this point I think it's looking at 350M WW which considering the budget isn't that great. Not a disaster but doesn't really give me hope for a sequel.

Also Home badly underperformed in overseas market, kind of a meh results overall. I'm not sure Dreamworks is very happy with it.

Who's the second one? Brad Bird and? I'm blanking on a recent Disney bomb from another Pixar alum :|

Andrew Stanton with John Carter.

Edit: Damn it

Toa TAK

Banned
Please remember, movies don't take 100% of the box office money. In the USA they took a bigger chunck than the international market (again sometimes they just got 30-40% of the box office there)

The studio is only going to receive 40-45% of the worldwide take.

It has to clear the marketing budget, which I can't imagine to be insubstantial at all. I think it'll be an unfortunately disappointing outcome, but not one where it's going to ruin careers.

Alrighty then fuck me.

Lethe82

Banned
Well they might be able to sell a sequel by focusing on how much better production will go the second time around.

Fury Road took so long to get made he wrote a screenplay for another sequel (called "Mad Max: The Wasteland") and a treatment for a potential 6th film.

Good to know

Looks like DVD sales and the awards season might have to step up to save Mad Max's sequel prospects if it doesn't make enough money at the box office.

I have never seen any of the other Mad Max movies, and until I couple of weeks ago I didn't even know they existed. I thought it was great. I don't think it requires any prior knowledge to be appreaciated.

Looks like DVD sales and the awards season might have to step up to save Mad Max's sequel prospects if it doesn't make enough money at the box office.
It really helped with Dredd and Edge of Tomorrow..... well not really. This whole DVD sales is a tricky thing, the only movie I remember that got a sequel due excellent DVD-Blu ray sales recently is Kick Ass and that only because they keep a small $28M budget for the film.

guek

Banned
I'm sure it will at least do great on DVD. My hear twill break if it is another Dredd situation.

Yeah, pretty safe bet Fury Road will be a cult classic for years to come. Dredd has a vocal following too but that film didn't just bomb at the BO, it cratered.

The death of Paul Walker played a lot into this.

I agree. Maybe it comes across as a cheap excuse to wave away its success but it's pretty clear it ended up boosting the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom