• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know as well as I do that Disney is considering selling off Marvel after Ultron's shitty #7-8 of all time domestic and #5 of all time worldwide eventual finish. Clearly that is a performance on par with the Expendables 3 and audiences are finished with the MCU.
You left out superhero fatigue as a reason.

Dai101

Banned
The Age of Ultron lasted less than a week.

AoU is barely a serviceable movie without any art merit, people didn't like it that much and probably soured the rest of the MCU as people feel now they are being played like a fiddle without a satisfactory reward. Just like Assassins Creed.

That movie was a 2 hours toy and movie commercial, with 20 minutes of actual movie, without super powers.

sJwtDR6.gif

Ahasverus

You know as well as I do that Disney is considering selling off Marvel after Ultron's shitty #7-8 of all time domestic and #5 of all time worldwide eventual finish. Clearly that is a performance on par with the Expendables 3 and audiences are finished with the MCU.
People were very excited for this movie, you can tell the excitement diminished greatly after the movie. The real test of the MCU is what comes next, will Ant-Man do IM3 numbers post avengers? Time will tell.

Civil War can be good though, I loved Winter Soldier (until the very end, which went dumb) the Russos do make good movies.

Sulik2

Seems like a bad weekend across the board numbers wise. Jurassic World should have released memorial day weekend against competition this weak.

Everyone I know thought Tomorrowland looked terrible from the trailers. What is it about? I still can't tell you after watching every trailer. I thought Ghost Protocol was great, but Brad Bird messed up choosing this to be his second movie.

gatti-man

The fuck are you on about. These are some really sad delusions. It has an A cinemascore, 8/10 user score on IMDB, 4,2/5 on RT with 88% liking it. Dislike the movie all you want but recognize you're living in a fantasy world.

It's was ok. I'd give it an 8/10 that's fair. But it certainly wasn't as good as Avengers 1. It's one of the weaker marvel movies for me.

kswiston

You left out superhero fatigue as a reason.

Ya, Superheroes are done.

Last year, superhero films based on Marvel properties earned $3.5B worldwide. This year, superhero films films based on Marvel properties will earn $2-2.5B worldwide.

Based on my extrapolation of this trend, Marvel, Sony, and Fox will be paying audiences $500M-2500M in 2018 to see their superhero films.

Meanwhile, based on the same trend extrapolation, Furious 9 will be earning $4.3B in 2019. I expect Universal to use their Fast and Furious money to buy Disney by 2025.

You can't argue with the math!

trips

Neo Member
People were very excited for this movie, you can tell the excitement diminished greatly after the movie. The real test of the MCU is what comes next, will Ant-Man do IM3 numbers post avengers? Time will tell.

Civil War can be good though, I loved Winter Soldier (until the very end, which went dumb) the Russos do make good movies.
Why on earth would you expect Ant-Man to do IM3 numbers? AoU could do 2 billion and Ant-Man wouldn't do IM3 numbers.

kswiston

Ant-man will only need about a third of what Iron Man 3 did to be in a break-even position.

Marvel's not going to score $700M on every film they make, especially on the new properties. If the name brand can keep films from bombing outright, they have a fairly risk free method of establishing new franchises.

There's a reason why WB is doubling down on superhero films. Look at the hit to miss ratio of $150M+ superhero flicks compared to $150M+ original properties.

kswiston

I'd be surprised if Ant Man does Thor1/Cap1 numbers

Worldwide? I wouldn't. Cap 1 made like $370M.

The last 6 superhero films have each made more than $90M in China alone. The only major ($100M+ budget) superhero film that has missed the $100M domestic mark in the past 10 years was Green Hornet (which is better know as a 60s TV hero than a comic book character), and even that miss was by less than $2M.

Chances are, even on the low end, Ant-Man will clear $200M between the domestic and Chinese box offices alone. It's not hard to make $170M in the rest of the world, especially when most of Asia and Latin America are very receptive to superhero properties. A lot has changed since Thor 1/Cap 1.

Dysun

I was thinking domestic since the worldwide box office totals have taken off and aren't comparable. Looks like its about 180M adjusted for inflation (Cap1)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I was thinking domestic since the worldwide box office totals have taken off and aren't comparable. Looks like its about 180M adjusted for inflation (Cap1)

I would say Worldwide will be 400-500mil. So it's not entirely off. But Thor 1 would be comparable.

Abounder

Banned
MCU will do great, the real question marks are Fox's Fantastic Four and Sony's Spiderverse, the latter of which has shown fatigue but is being rebooted into the MCU.

Ya, Superheroes are done.

Last year, superhero films based on Marvel properties earned $3.5B worldwide. This year, superhero films films based on Marvel properties will earn $2-2.5B worldwide.

Based on my extrapolation of this trend, Marvel, Sony, and Fox will be paying audiences $500M-2500M in 2018 to see their superhero films.

Meanwhile, based on the same trend extrapolation, Furious 9 will be earning $4.3B in 2019. I expect Universal to use their Fast and Furious money to buy Disney by 2025.

You can't argue with the math!

You mean I can earn more than minimum wage by watching superhero movies?!

I'm so hype!

Alrus

I'm not sure there's a need to go all ironic hyperbole on people saying there might be a slight superhero fatigue happening in the coming years. The genre is still massively popular but it might have reached a peak, we'll see.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
You want mad max to be successful you need to take all your loved ones with you, and teach them about the values of watching good movies. As it stands, we're all doing a terrible job.

Toothless

Mad Max is doing incredibly well, the response with everyone here declaring it's bombing seems to come from people who don't realize this is a Tangled-style production with the budget artificially inflated thanks to several restarts. If Mad Max makes 135M DOM (which looks extremely likely), it's a hit for WB.

Also, LOL Tomorrowland will make less in four days than Mad Max made in three.

jett

D-Member
Boxofficemojo's current shitshow of a state is a sad thing to see. Fucking imdb.

Anyway...At least MM didn't tumble into some massive 60%+ drop, so that's a "win" there. Whatever. Hollywood has fucked up the tastebuds of the mainstream with their constant stream of liquid mediocrity. People can't even recognize when something great is unleashed upon them.

I'm not sure there's a need to go all ironic hyperbole on people saying there might be a slight superhero fatigue happening in the coming years.

We've banned talk of "fatigue" for films that make A BILLION DOLLARS WORLDWIDE

Like its such a nothing talking point. A movie might only be in the top ten highest grossing movies ever! Where did things go wrong? Do people just hate superhero movies now? Lets talk about this guyz

Toothless

It really helped with Dredd and Edge of Tomorrow..... well not really. This whole DVD sales is a tricky thing, the only movie I remember that got a sequel due excellent DVD-Blu ray sales recently is Kick Ass and that only because they keep a small $28M budget for the film.

Who wanted an Edge of Tomorrow sequel?

hamchan

Americans, please watch Mad Max if you want to support great filmmaking in an action movie that is so rarely seen these days.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The budget for Tomorrowland is so crazy. I can't imagine what Disney was thinking OK'ing that kind of money for something that's supposed to be aimed at kids.

After John Carter and The Lone Ranger, it seems like some kind of addiction on Disney's part.

Slixshot

Banned
#3 seems pretty good for max's second week. It's rated R, it's going up against a teeny bopper movie and Disney. I'll take it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
#3 seems pretty good for max's second week. It's rated R, it's going up against a teeny bopper movie and Disney. I'll take it.

I still haven't seen Fury Road (I don't know if I need to see the original trilogy to fully appreciate Fury Road), but movies in general would kill for that kind of drop.

After John Carter and The Lone Ranger, it seems like some kind of addiction on Disney's part.

While I did enjoy John Carter more than most people I honestly wonder what is happening on the creative side of Disney for live action stuff that isn't Marvel or Pirates of the Caribbean.

They seem to hire the right people and then just totally fuck up the landing with these movies.

I still haven't seen Fury Road (I don't know if I need to see the original trilogy to fully appreciate Fury Road), but movies in general would kill for that kind of drop.

You don't need to see the originals, but if you watch any of them I'd recommend The Road Warrior.

What If Mad Max Was Part Of The DCU Cinematic Universe?

- A thread I will make never

Don't give this place any ideas. Notthegiyuoukill already queuing up the thread as we speak

It's a god damn shame how high furious 7 and avengers is while fury road barely chugs along. It felt like a throwback to when action movies were well and truly great. I'm glad I got to see it in theaters tho for sure.

Miller might as well make a dc movie too just to clown on the shitty directors these days some more

mreddie

While I did enjoy John Carter more than most people I honestly wonder what is happening on the creative side of Disney for live action stuff that isn't Marvel or Pirates of the Caribbean.

They seem to hire the right people and then just totally fuck up the landing with these movies.

Live action fairy tales are working out but Lone Ranger, Carter and now Tomorrowland I think can be blamed on marketing. Or Lone Ranger's case, editing.

Toxi

Banned
You don't. I only watched the first movie and it has little to do with Fury Road. Fury Road works fine as a self-contained story.

Edit: Ninja'd

LosDaddie

Banned
The Age of Ultron lasted less than a week.

AoU is barely a serviceable movie without any art merit, people didn't like it that much and probably soured the rest of the MCU as people feel now they are being played like a fiddle without a satisfactory reward. Just like Assassins Creed.

That movie was a 2 hours toy and movie commercial, with 20 minutes of actual movie, without super powers.

You are my favorite poster in MCU threads

The budget for Tomorrowland is so crazy. I can't imagine what Disney was thinking OK'ing that kind of money for something that's supposed to be aimed at kids.
How can Tomorrowland be aimed at kids when the rating classification is 12 and above? I don't see what's kiddy about it. None of the characters are even kids.

Looking for stuff about ratings, I found this website that gives parents guides for movies and it's pretty funny:
https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/tomorrowland
While there's no substance use or racy content, there is a whole lot of consumerism, primarily due to the nonstop Disney references (the movie's title and themes were inspired by an area of Disneyland) and the prominent presence of brands like Coke, Pepsi, iPhone, and more. Still, families will appreciate the clearly positive messages about using innovation, invention, and engineering to make the future a brighter, better place.

Live action fairy tales are working out but Lone Ranger, Carter and now Tomorrowland I think can be blamed on marketing. Or Lone Ranger's case, editing.

I was thinking about marketing too. They either have zero confidence in the actual content of the film (John Carter) or too much confidence (Tomorrowland's mystery box) and either way the audience doesn't have enough information and doesn't know why they should be seeing the movie.

Lone Ranger actually has a lot going for it but you're right, it's half an hour too long. What a waste of an amazing train chase :(

Boxofficemojo's current shitshow of a state is a sad thing to see. Fucking imdb.

Anyway...At least MM didn't tumble into some massive 60%+ drop, so that's a "win" there. Whatever. Hollywood has fucked up the tastebuds of the mainstream with their constant stream of liquid mediocrity. People can't even recognize when something great is unleashed upon them.

I'm sorry but there was no fucking way MM was ever going to be a major hit, which was reason enough for WB to not fuck with it and let the R happen. At best they hope for enough commercial success and a lot of critical praise, so that those involved have a reason to let Miller make another one.

Movie didn't exactly redefine the genre, despite how great of an action movie it is. Expecting some sort of cultural phenomenon from it seems naive, even for the most hardcore action fan out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom