• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•22-24•15 - Disney's house is clean, Tomorrow lands @ #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Pretty good hold for Mad Max, but I feel like the numbers alone won't carry it to a sequel given it's troubled development and budget.

I do wonder if the studio will understand that Miller can probably get a sequel produced for a lot less and maybe it will have similar (or better) box office results.

Maybe the Pixar guys problem is working with Disney and thinking things will be super easy doing live action for them. Bird made money with Mission: Impossible even if I thought that movie is forgettable outside of the Dubai stunt.

Corpsepyre

Banned
IF they go for a sequel, they need to make it a vastly different movie. Go smaller, more hand-to-hand. Don't need to see a repeat of Fury Road at all as it needs to stay special.

Brad Bird is about to get Stanton'd. Forced to make Pixar sequels for the rest of his time with Disney. He was a fool to turn down Star Wars.

guek

Banned
We are all awaiting the chase sequence with Venom and Ultron when Spiderman meets Avengers.

tumblr_lnyijowaeq1qf5t75o1_400.gif

Age of ultron was a tremendous disappointment and the trailers and commercials practically gave away the whole movie. Way too much footage was shown.

The only really great film in theaters right now is Mad Max.

$211 million worldwide for Mad Max isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. It is doing better than Pitch Perfect 2 on a global scale, and was released on the same day. Still though, I wish it was doing better at the box office. It really is my number one movie of 2015 so far.

The Beard

1. A movie that nobody's excited about

2. A sequel

3. A sequel

4. A remake

5. A sequel that's been out for over a month

That's a weak line up for a holiday weekend.

entremet

Not getting the Ultron backlash. It was way better than Avengers 1, which was meeting after meeting, the movie.

Ultron was pretty fun.

Wanderer5

Also Home badly underperformed in overseas market, kind of a meh results overall. I'm not sure Dreamworks is very happy with it.

Oh damn yeah, US wise seems to be great, but overseas market wise it flop compare HTTYD2 and Penguins, and is looking to roughly be around how well Rise of the Guardians did.

2. A sequel

3. A remake

4. A sort of remake/sequel

Mad Max Fury Road is not a Remake it's a sequel.

Not getting the Ultron backlash. It was way better than Avengers 1, which was meeting after meeting, the movie.

Ultron was pretty fun.
I found it good, but quite predictible: Fight-talking-fight-heroes lost the McGuffin of power-heroes are doom-more talk-big final sequence. Not even
Quicksilver death
feeled like a suprise.

mreddie

2. A sequel

3. A remake

4. A sort of remake/sequel

It sucks the one original film was the one no one cared for, then again, the one's who did see it either liked it or hated it.

kswiston

2. A sequel

3. A remake

4. A remake

That's every Memorial Day lineup. Last year had 2 sequels, a remake, an Adam Sandler movie no one cared about and Neighbours in the top 5. 2013 had 4 sequels and Epic (which no one cared about).

Mad Max Fury Road is not a Remake it's a sequel.

I wouldn't really call it a sequel either as it doesn't fall in line with Thunderdome. The only way it could fit into the Mad Max time line if it takes place between Mad Max 1 and 2 and even then that is kind of sketchy. To me I would put Mad Max in soft reboot territory. It does reboot some aspects of the franchise, but doesn't retread over the originals.

Oersted

Ultron was pretty fun.

I do think it has alot to do with a completely superior action-film releasing shortly after. If Ultron would have been surrounded by the usual blockbuster quality, the reception would be different.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Ultron was pretty fun.

Disagree with it being better than the first Avengers. But I agree that the backlash is stupid. It was an entertaining film and that's all that matters.

My major issue with it though: Hydra mentions. Avengers 1 worked because it didn't NEED you to watch all of "Phase 1" and tie-in stuff to get the story. It seems like Marvel told Joss "No, we want you to tie into Agents of Shield and Captain America 2 and Thor 2 and..." and Joss had to go with it.

kswiston

I do think it has alot to do with a completely superior action-film releasing shortly after. If Ultron would have been surrounded by the usual blockbuster quality, the reception would be different.

On here maybe, but regular audiences didn't exactly show up in legions to see Mad Max. Age of Utron's mediocre legs probably has more to do with the fact that it was a step down from last year's Marvel films and it no longer had the novelty of the first film going for it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Disagree with it being better than the first Avengers. But I agree that the backlash is stupid. It was an entertaining film and that's all that matters.

My major issue with it though: Hydra mentions. Avengers 1 worked because it didn't NEED you to watch all of "Phase 1" and tie-in stuff to get the story. It seems like Marvel told Joss "No, we want you to tie into Agents of Shield and Captain America 2 and Thor 2 and..." and Joss had to go with it.
Yeah, no, not really. Everyone was dissapointed that the story didnt dealted with the fallouts of Thor, Iron Man and Cap.

Oersted

On here maybe, but regular audiences didn't exactly show up in legions to see Mad Max. Age of Utron's mediocre legs probably has more to do with the fact that it was a step down from last year's Marvel films and it no longer had the novelty of the first film going for it.

I was rather referring to the "it is not a great movie" etc pp backlash on Gaf. Agree with you on the legs.

Jawmuncher

Wonder how tomorrowland will fare world wide after awhile. Regardless looks like the reviews hurt it. Since nowadays too much mystery and then bad reviews scares everyone away.

You would think only big franchises allowed in this bitch according to some replies. Jesus. Shit happens, there was a lot of talent behind the movie. It failed, so what.

(tomorrowland)

Lothars

That's right. It's not like the first one was any good.
Your right it was great and so was age of ultron.

Age of ultron was a tremendous disappointment and the trailers and commercials practically gave away the whole movie. Way too much footage was shown.

The only really great film in theaters right now is Mad Max.
Both Furious 7 and Age of Ultron are great movies, I think Mad Max is great but somewhat overrated.

gatti-man

Pretty good hold for Mad Max, but I feel like the numbers alone won't carry it to a sequel given it's troubled development and budget.

I do wonder if the studio will understand that Miller can probably get a sequel produced for a lot less and maybe it will have similar (or better) box office results.

It's world wide numbers will get to 300 million I think. That plus guaranteed stellar bluray sales should guarantee a sequel. This movie will be like pacific rim. Doesn't do well in theaters but word of mouth will carry the IP to success.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Disappointing hold for Mad Max and too high of a hold for Pitch Perfect
Saw the latter today and thought it was pretty crap

gatti-man

I wasn't impressed with ultron day 1. The script was bad and they were so busy pushing future movies I think they forgot to actually invest in ultron the villain and the movie itself. Avengers 2 shouldn't have even been called age of Ultron. A more truthful title would be Avengers 2: Hawkeyes family retreat.

Both Furious 7 and Age of Ultron are great movies, I think Mad Max is great but somewhat overrated.

Opinions are opinions of course, but as someone who enjoyed the first Avengers in theaters, the latest one was pretty underwhelming. Anecdotally, some of my co-workers who are varying degrees into comic books also seemed underwhelmed by it.

Mad Max may definitely be a little overhyped, but I think for many people it was just a welcome change from the typical CG-laiden comic book fare.

Game4life

Banned

George Miller showed both those Amateurs how to direct action scenes.

I wasn't impressed with ultron day 1. The script was bad and they were so busy pushing future movies I think they forgot to actually invest in ultron the villain and the movie itself. Avengers 2 shouldn't have even been called age of Ultron. A more truthful title would be Avengers 2: Hawkeyes family retreat.

lol

Ahasverus

The Age of Ultron lasted less than a week.

AoU is barely a serviceable movie without any art merit, people didn't like it that much and probably soured the rest of the MCU as people feel now they are being played like a fiddle without a satisfactory reward. Just like Assassins Creed.

That movie was a 2 hours toy and movie commercial, with 20 minutes of actual movie, without super powers.

The odd part about Tomorrowland, at least for me, is that they chose the wrong action scene to highlight in the trailers. The second trailer is them escaping the house, but there's an earlier action scene that would have actually given people an idea what the movie was about.

Game4life

Banned

AoU is barely a serviceable movie without any art merit, people didn't like it that much and probably soured the rest of the MCU as people feel now they are being played like a fiddle without a satisfactory reward. Just like Assassins Creed.

I think this is a pretty accurate description. MCU is becoming like the AC of movies. Poor action, poor story and you cant tell the difference going from one film to another.

The odd part about Tomorrowland, at least for me, is that they chose the wrong action scene to highlight in the trailers. The second trailer is them escaping the house, but there's an earlier action scene that would have actually given people an idea what the movie was about.

They kept the mystery about the film too close to the chest in its advertising. One review I read said something like, "Centering a film around a mysterious conclusion only works if the mystery is interesting enough to hold the viewer's attention." After seeing the film, I definitely agree.

I think this is a pretty accurate description. MCU is becoming like the AC of movies. Poor action, poor story and you cant tell the difference going from one film to another.

Lol what? You're going to tell me that there's no big differences between Captain America 2, GotG, and Age of Ultron?

They kept the mystery about the film too close to the chest in its advertising. One review I read said something like, "Centering a film around a mysterious conclusion only works if the mystery is interesting enough to hold the viewer's attention." After seeing the film, I definitely agree.

I agree with that. The film needed to hype up the mystery presented in the film the same way in trailers. Less "What is Tomorrowland" and more "Why is it unknown?"

guek

Banned

That movie was a 2 hours toy and movie commercial, with 20 minutes of actual movie, without super powers.

The fuck are you on about. These are some really sad delusions. It has an A cinemascore, 8/10 user score on IMDB, 4,2/5 on RT with 88% liking it. Dislike the movie all you want but recognize you're living in a fantasy world.

kswiston

The fuck are you on about. These are some really sad delusions. It has an A cinemascore, 8/10 user score on IMDB, 4,2/5 on RT with 88% liking it. Dislike the movie all you want but recognize you're living in a fantasy world.

You know as well as I do that Disney is considering selling off Marvel after Ultron's shitty #7-8 of all time domestic and #5 of all time worldwide eventual finish. Clearly that is a performance on par with the Expendables 3 and audiences are finished with the MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom