• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•29-31•15 - The fault (line) in our box office, adiós Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Insidious 2 was a total piece of shit so I'm not surprised the third one is underperforming. It's rather cheap though so it should end up making a decent amount of money despite its drop.

Perhaps they will take the drop as a sign to quit while they are ahead.

Abounder

Banned
That's a shame if true. China could've done more for Mad Max's box office numbers. Studios will gladly send Transformers 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 over to China, but not a good movie like Fury Road?

Chinese critics loved Fury Road, I think the problem is with Chinese bureaucracy and not any studio limit because it just doesn't make sense otherwise, the studio would be leaving money on the table for a very expensive production. Kingsman was another R-rated violent movie that did well in China, but I don't know if Mad Max's world can be edited enough to be fit for a release there.

DieH@rd

Banned
So it looks like Mad Max wont get a China release (next few weeks are already scheduled) and then the "protection period" starts. I doubt it gets a release after that. Would have loved to see it here :(

Chinese critics loved Fury Road, I think the problem is with Chinese bureaucracy and not any studio limit because it just doesn't make sense otherwise, the studio would be leaving money on the table for a very expensive production. Kingsman was another R-rated violent movie that did well in China, but I don't know if Mad Max's world can be edited enough to be fit for a release there.

Such a shame. :(

BTW, what is a "protection period"?

Slayven

Such a shame. :(

BTW, what is a "protection period"?
No foreign movies, so Chinese produced films don't have to compete against them.

It's sort of crazy that you can make 20 of them for the same budget as Tomorrowland (ignoring marketing of course).
God I wonder what the budget was like during the 70s and 80s? Shit single epsidoes of tv shows are probably more expensive nowadays. I remember when Star Trek broke the 1 million per episode barrier. Probably chump change now.

Well that makes sense. Shame.

guek

Banned
Who is the audience for Entourage? People who just wanted a male Sex and the City? I just saw the trailer for it on front of Spy and thought "oh wasn't that a TV show? Wow, they're all so douche-y and not funny whatsoever".

It's male escapism and celebrity worship. Is it incredibly sexist? Yes. Is everyone one the show a dickbag? Yup. The show was pretty entertaining though if you can get past the misogyny and irreverence for political correctness.

Slayven

It's male escapism and celebrity worship. Is it incredibly sexist? Yes. Is everyone one the show a dickbag? Yup. The show was pretty entertaining though if you can get past the misogyny and irreverence for political correctness.

Change a few words and it is the exact same for Sex and the City

Be all that as it may, but they're all losers to me. Not in an endearingly funny way like It's Always Sunny. I'm not sure I would want to be any of them.

I watched this best of Entourage moments and aside from Ari freakouts (gotta admit, the paintgun bit was funny), it was annoying. Maybe it was only worth watching for Jeremy Piven. What's with all the gay jokes, though? It'd be funny if they all turned out to be gay with all the focus on sucking cock and being anally raped.

Just noticed that Fury Road has crossed 300m already apparently C:

Hoping for WB to officially announce Mad Max: The Wasteland any day now! Miller ain't getting any younger

Change a few words and it is the exact same for Sex and the City

There's not really a lot in common with Entourage and Sex in the City, though. On a surface level, I can see the comparison. The shows were trying to do two completely different things with their characters, and with their storytelling in general.

Son Of D

I'll be honest when I'll say that I didn't even know an Entourage film was coming until I saw the cast appear briefly on a WWE show to promote it, and that was like a week or two ago.

I'm assuming it's more of a US thing since I've seen nothing until now about it in the UK.

Angel_DvA

Mad Max is almost at 2 millions tickets in France, it's a really really good score for a foreign movie. ( they aren't counting in money but tickets there )

26b6fd04441f3007d0f18c95e5246025.png

Toothless

Just noticed that Fury Road has crossed 300m already apparently C:

Hoping for WB to officially announce Mad Max: The Wasteland any day now! Miller ain't getting any younger

To be fair, even if it got an internal greenlight, I doubt we're gonna hear anything about Mad Max 5 until Comic Con.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) Spy - $30.0M
2) San Andreas - $26.4M - $99M total
3) Insidious 3 - $23.0M
4) Entourage - $10.4M - $18M 5-day total
5) Mad Max Fury Road - $8.0M - $131M total
6) Pitch Perfect 2 - $7.7M - $161M total
7) Tomorrowland - $7.02M - $76M total
8) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $6.2M - $438M total

- San Andreas is down 52% from last weekend, which is pretty good for an action film. Jurassic World will probably hit it hard next weekend though.
- Mad Max did indeed stay in the Top 5.

Worldwide Updates:

Furious 7 - $1.510B (up $4M from last sunday)
Pitch Perfect 2 - $250M
Avengers: Age of Ultron - $1.348B (putting it past Harry Potter 8 for the #5 spot worldwide)

kswiston

It's gonna make it.

Probably, but we will likely be waiting another 3-4 weeks for that to happen. Jurassic World is going to do damage this week.

EDIT: Speaking of that, Boxoffice.com has been quietly raising their long term forecast for Jurassic World over the past few weeks. Before the summer started, they had it at aroun $85M opening week and $230M total. Last week it was $100M opening and $255M total. Now they have raised their estimate to $121M opening and $303M total.

Now, will Max stay top 5 NEXT week? Jurassic World will crush. Probably an okay hold for Spy. San Andreas will probably drop pretty noticeably. Insidious and Entourage drop like rocks. Will that be enough?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Now, will Max stay top 5 NEXT week? Jurassic World will crush. Probably an okay hold for Spy. San Andreas will probably drop pretty noticeably. Insidious and Entourage drop like rocks. Will that be enough?
It only really needs to beat Entourage to stay in top 5, right? So probably.

Son Of D

Is $30M good for Spy? Based on the genre and budget.

Most likely. Unless Entourage holds better than expected (which I doubt). Anything else other than Jurassic World releasing?

kswiston

Most likely. Unless Entourage holds better than expected (which I doubt). Anything else other than Jurassic World releasing?

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jurassic World hits Mad Max harder than Pitch Perfect next weekend. It could end up #6 even if Entourage has its expected crash and burn next weekend. Insidious 3 probably opened too high to catch. A 75% drop for Insidious still puts it ahead of a 30% drop for Mad Max (and I doubt Mad Max has that light a drop in the face of a $100M+ opener).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom