• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•29-31•15 - The fault (line) in our box office, adiós Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Then why greenlight it, or rather finshed it?

I'm sure it was dogshit only after it had been filmed originally. Cameron Crowe is a generally bankable director who primarily makes feel-good films, and it had a pretty hot cast in terms of exposure right now. It looked good on paper.

Oersted

Maybe I just remember the crossover aspect being much more effective at the time. AoU marketing felt like they went for maximum saturation. I went on a media blackout and then went back to watch some of the clips abs tv spots and was surprised at how much of the movie was spoiled in the marketing.

They even (?) spoiled the death of you know who.

faridmon

Tomorowland was such a bad movie...

It was great

I'm sure it was dogshit only after it had been filmed originally. Cameron Crowe is a generally bankable director who primarily makes feel-good films, and it had a pretty hot cast in terms of exposure right now. It looked good on paper.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
Not a whole a lot of marketing budget have been spent on it, right?

Wanderer5

Looks like Mad Max is around $280 million now, so yeah it be fine it seems.

Tomorrowland seems to have a bit of legs in foreign particularly, but bleh, what a shame. I still a bit amaze of how much they spent on marketing, which in the end was kind of crappy to say the least heh.

At least Cameron getting the Terminator rights back in a few years

gon make dat comeback like Miller's Fury Road and D'Angelo's Black Messiah

At least Cameron getting the Terminator rights back in a few years

gon make dat comeback like Miller's Fury Road and D'Angelo's Black Messiah

he should blue the fuck out of the real terminator 3: future war when he gets the rights back.

2 hours of stuff like this
161667-292940-CharlizeTheronTomHardyMadMaxFuryRoadwithgunscenejpg-620x.jpg

Ultron marketing peaked early.

I really think Marvel's marketing dept (I'm fairly certain Marvel's in charge of how their movies get sold, not Disney, correct? Everyone knows Disney owns them, but I'm fairly certain Marvel, like Lucasfilm and Pixar, have creative control over that kind of stuff) felt they needed to double down on the comedy in the ads, which unfortunately didn't play as well in those ads as Guardians' comedy did.

And then they turned around and sold Ant-Man like it was srs business Thor-type stuff.

It's kinda confusing, considering how well they sold Guardians, that they seem to have more or less fouled off Ultron and Ant-Man in terms of making the product seem more appealing. With Ultron, those first two teaser spots really built anticipation. And then it just flattened out. But the ads never stopped coming.

Marvel has their own marketing department.

ryseing

I read an article in Time Magazine where it said that the main reason it took so long was that the stars were all negotiating for a percentage of the profit that kept on preventing the movie from being made. All that trouble for a movie that's going to make no profit!

It's because everyone minus Piven and maybe Connolly has no career outside of the show.

I'm looking forward to the movie, fuck the haters.

Say Anything, Singles, and Almost Famous are great movies. And Jerry Maguire will forever be known because of "Show me the money!" It's crazy how his career was never the same after Elizabethtown.

I see him exec-producing or even directing some Netflix or network series in the near future.

hamchan

I read an article in Time Magazine where it said that the main reason it took so long was that the stars were all negotiating for a percentage of the profit that kept on preventing the movie from being made. All that trouble for a movie that's going to make no profit!

For a movie with a supposed $30 million budget, it would be pretty dire if it couldn't reach profit!

Though I do wonder how much appeal the movie will have since it's not like the TV Show ever did massive numbers and even people who watched all of it (like me) probably found the series to be not very good in the later seasons.

ezekial45

Banned
Say Anything, Singles, and Almost Famous are great movies. And Jerry Maguire will forever be known because of "Show me the money!" It's crazy how his career was never the same after Elizabethtown.

Did Elizabethtown really tank his career?

I'll never not love Elizabethtown but I fully admit it's because the soundtracks are so damn good, some of the best I've ever heard.

hamchan

I feel they've used that same style of poster design with Captain America and Iron Man before. A whole lot of ghost people looking in different directions with the hero in the middle.

Abounder

Banned
That Ant-Man poster is generic but generic can work. Plus there's cool promos like the tiny Ant-Man bus stop sign, or the big white poster with the shrunken Ant-Man in the middle. As for Marvel as a whole I think Guardians of the Galaxy was the best simply because of the fun Forrest Gump-ish soundtrack (and they embraced the crazy Rocket Raccoon character), Ant-Man needs to be more like that so they can get the new and old "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" audience

Marvel has their own marketing department.

Thanks. I was pretty sure they did.

People just assume that because Disney owns something, Disney makes all the decisions, and it gets so pervasive that I start to question whether or not there actually is something to it.

But there isn't. It's just people talking shit for the sake of talking it. Like it gives them some semblance of pleasure to put forth the idea it's really Disney pulling every string instead of giving credit (and/or blame) to the company they know is actually making/selling the movie.

Although I'm sure there were people blaming Disney for Miramax and Dimension trailers back when they still owned that studio, too.

"Man, can you imagine if Disney wasn't cutting these Kill Bill trailers?"

Chinner

Banned
Thanks. I was pretty sure they did.

People just assume that because Disney owns something, Disney makes all the decisions, and it gets so pervasive that I start to question whether or not there actually is something to it.

But there isn't. It's just people talking shit for the sake of talking it. Like it gives them some semblance of pleasure to put forth the idea it's really Disney pulling every string instead of giving credit (and/or blame) to the company they know is actually making/selling the movie.

Although I'm sure there were people blaming Disney for Miramax and Dimension trailers back when they still owned that studio, too.

"Man, can you imagine if Disney wasn't cutting these Kill Bill trailers?"
It's like the thread people are not reading contains the answers to the questions they're asking.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Vanilla Sky is really good too. Kurt Russell is excellent, Jason Lee's better, and it's fascinating how many possible theories you can have for what the film is.

Decado

Answer.

It shouldn't have the R. The MPAA has favored films over others before when it comes to their rating system, some directions can get away with a rating being lowered where as another film with various directors will get a worse rating. It doesn't help most of these people are out of touch and in their 50's and older.
But a correct one? I doubt it. There are no recent pg-13 films I'm aware of that deserve an r-rating more than fury road.

The mpaa has definitely lost their way, but under the current system fury road should be r-rated. 20 years ago? PG-13, I suspect. If the current rating system wasn't broken? PG-13.

Ppl seem to forget that a pg-13 cut of this film exists. It is different enough to have tested significantly worse. FR has a number of violent sequences that perhaps individually would not get an r-rating but collectively would (and did). It could also have gotten it for "mature themes". Also...blood when shot. Mostly subtle, but frequency is key. Pg-13 can only get away with it a few times per film.

Busty

Banned
Did Elizabethtown really tank his career?

Yes, it was the start of his slow motion collapse. It cost a fortune and was written for Tom Cruise who passed early on. The studio went with Orlando Bloom, a move that killed his acting career stone dead and left Crowe on the outside of the studio system for years.

Also Elizabethtown is the worst cinema experience I've ever had. It was torture to sit through and people were constantly walking out of my screening swearing as they went.

In one frame Kirsten Dunst's weird grinning mug filled the screen and someone walking out shouted 'fuck you!' at her image on the screen which got the biggest laugh of the entire affair.

Terrible.

Marvel and also LucasFilm are very independent from Disney.

*sharp intake of breath*

Yes and no. They are corporate 'silos' and regularly co-ordinate with each other in terms of releasing and the projects that they make so that there's no 'overlap' in terms of their slate.

I don't feel that 'very independent' reflects that.

Busty

Banned
Sometimes I wonder what the fastest way to piss off Busty is.

I'm assuming it involves *rolls D20 dice*...Harry Potter?

Psst.

--
Disney just cramming Star Wars films down our throats until the end of time.

--
Paramount being totally out of ideas and just cramming Transformer films down our throats until the end of time.

--
Sony Pictures being totally out of ideas and just cramming Spider Man reboots down our throats until the end of time. And I think their Spidey shared universe' is just a matter of when not if.

--
James Cameron wasting his time and talent on a bunch of Avatar films that no one asked for. I don't think it's the money, I just have a sneaking feeling that he's grown tired of filmmaking and doesn't have the passion for it anymore.

That's...., just the tip of the iceberg to be honest.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I wasn't too impressed with their AoU marketing either. The licensing on products was oversaturated and they released too many clips and middling trailers. The ad campaign for Avengers was better as far as I can remember.

y'know, I usually eat up trailers for movies I'm excited about, but Disney released so many trailers and teasers and clips and shit that I had to go out of my way to stop watching them because I felt like I'd have seen the entire movie before entering the theater. It got ridiculous.

(And then they cut a good portion of that shit out of the final film!)

Yes, it was the start of his slow motion collapse. It cost a fortune and was written for Tom Cruise who passed early on. The studio went with Orlando Bloom, a move that killed his acting career stone dead and left Crowe on the outside of the studio system for years.

Also Elizabethtown is the worst cinema experience I've ever had. It was torture to sit through and people were constantly walking out of my screening swearing as they went.

In one frame Kirsten Dunst's weird grinning mug filled the screen and someone walking out shouted 'fuck you!' at her image on the screen which got the biggest laugh of the entire affair.

Terrible.

It's also the movie that brought on "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" as a tired trope.

Nothing has been right with Crowe since his marriage with Nancy Wilson fell apart.
She was his muse.

jett

D-Member
i think if pacific rim could get a sequel, mad max can get a fifth film.

PR only got a sequel because Universal is desperate for anything that could have a chance of being turned into a franchise. WB, the original studio behind it, had no interest in making it. :p

PR only got a sequel because Universal is desperate for anything that could have a chance of being turned into a franchise. WB, the original studio behind it, had no interest in making it. :p

PR also has lot of merch possibilities they learned. After they screwed up by not having merch ready for PR and seeing the demand for it. The early stuff they put out was selling out left and right, licensors started going in for merchandising hardcore after. They know they can make it into a multimedia money maker for the nerds

rokkerkory

I just saw Mad Max... man what a ride. It was fantastic if you like gritty action. Very surprised by the amount of varied action you can have in a 2 hour car chase. :)

Busty

Banned
It's also the movie that brought on "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" as a tired trope.

Nothing has been right with Crowe since his marriage with Nancy Wilson fell apart.
She was his muse.

That's an interesting point actually, I never thought of that. I'm quietly hoping that this new Showtime series he's working on can help him reclaim so magic.

If it's just 20% of Almost Famous on a weekly basis that will be a big win for me.

PR only got a sequel because Legendary is desperate for anything that could have a chance of being turned into a franchise. WB, the original studio behind it, had no interest in making it. :p

Fixed.

And yes, you're totally correct. I don't think that Universal, the new studio, are even putting any finance into it.

jett

D-Member
PR also has lot of merch possibilities they learned. After they screwed up by not having merch ready for PR and seeing the demand for it. The early stuff they put out was selling out left and right, licensors started going in for merchandising hardcore after. They know they can make it into a multimedia money maker for the nerds

That's a solid point.

That's an interesting point actually, I never thought of that. I'm quietly hoping that this new Showtime series he's working on can help him reclaim so magic.

If it's just 20% of Almost Famous on a weekly basis that will be a big win for me.

Fixed.

And yes, you're totally correct. I don't think that Universal, the new studio, are even putting any finance into it.

Really? It's Legendary all-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom