• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 05•29-31•15 - The fault (line) in our box office, adiós Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Really? It's Legendary all-in?

Despite all the noise surrounding Legendary looking for a new home after leaving (getting kicked out of) WB the deal they made with Universal apparently isn't all the great.

Under the terms the deal the stuff that Legendary self finance the studio pays nothing (not even P&A costs) and just takes a percentage for letting Legendary use the studio's distribution 'pipes'. So whatever happens (Blackhat) Legendary are entirely left holding the bag.

I imagine that Universal will retain an option to throw some cash into the PR sequel if they really like what they see.

kswiston

12 million is the worldwide number needed, not domestic. There is no scenario where it won't make at least 12 mil more worldwide.

It will likely top that number, but it will be close. Last week was only $7M worldwide. The movie is more or less done when Jurassic World steals large quantities of screens worldwide in 2 weeks.

Most films were underestimated on the weekend.

San Andreas - $54.6M
Mad Max: Fury Road - $14.2

kswiston

Everything increased except Aloha

Weekend Actuals
1) San Andreas - $54.6M
2) Pitch Perfect 2 - $14.8M - $148M total
3) Tomorrowland - $14.3M - $64M total
4) Mad Max: Fury Road - $14.2M - $116M total
5) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $11.4M - $428M total
6) Aloha - $9.67M

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Everything increased except Aloha

Weekend Actuals
1) San Andreas - $54.6M
2) Pitch Perfect 2 - $14.8M - $148M total
3) Tomorrowland - $14.3M - $64M total
4) Mad Max: Fury Road - $14.2M - $116M total
5) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $11.4M - $428M total
6) Aloha - $9.67M

Heh. They were certainly reaching with that $10m even estimate for Aloha.

kswiston

3 new movies are opening. I don't think that's happening.

I already accounted for that.

Mad Max has been holding significantly better than Pitch Perfect, and Tomorrowland will continue to drop like a rock. That only leaves San Andreas ahead of it from the holdovers. Even if the 3 new films take 3 of the top 4 slots, Mad Max will be #5 next weekend.

Choomp

Banned
Hey I don't know if anyone here has brought this up yet, but this is something that I think this particular part of GAF would be interested in: http://fantasymovieleague.com/

You get to make picks on what movies you think will do the best in the box office with some sort of budget, if I understand correctly, sounds like fun.

kswiston

Friday Studio estimates:

1) Insidious 3 - $10.4M
2) Spy - $10.3M
3) San Andreas - $7.7M - $80M total
4) Entourage - $3.7M - $11M 3-day total
5) Pitch Perfect 2 - $2.6M - $156M total
6) Mad Max Fury Road - $2.3M - $125M total
7) Tomorrowland - $2.1M - $71M total
8) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $1.8M - $434M total
9) Aloha - $1.1M - $14M total

- Huge Drop for the Insidious brand. Insidious part 2 opened to $20M on its first day.

Mrbob

Spy going to take the weekend. San Andreas going to be number two overall, not bad for a second weekend.

Slayven

Friday Studio estimates:

1) Insidious 3 - ?? for now, but early numbers point to $10.5M
2) Spy - $10.3M
3) San Andreas - $7.7M - $80M total
4) Entourage - $3.7M - $11M 3-day total
5) Pitch Perfect 2 - $2.6M - $156M total
6) Mad Max Fury Road - $2.3M - $125M total
7) Tomorrowland - $2.1M - $71M total
8) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $1.8M - $434M total
9) Aloha - $1.1M - $14M total

- Huge Drop for the Insidious brand. Insidious part 2 opened to $20M on its first day.
Are horror movies in the summer a good idea?

jett

D-Member
Entourage gets what it deserves. Those last two seasons were such garbage nothing related to that shitshow deserves success.

Kusagari

I didn't expect much more than this for Entourage. It's a niche HBO show and there's zero reason for anyone who isn't a fan to see it.

wachie

So it looks like Mad Max wont get a China release (next few weeks are already scheduled) and then the "protection period" starts. I doubt it gets a release after that. Would have loved to see it here :(

Who is the audience for Entourage? People who just wanted a male Sex and the City? I just saw the trailer for it on front of Spy and thought "oh wasn't that a TV show? Wow, they're all so douche-y and not funny whatsoever".

Ridley327

Who is the audience for Entourage? People who just wanted a male Sex and the City? I just saw the trailer for it on front of Spy and thought "oh wasn't that a TV show? Wow, they're all so douche-y and not funny whatsoever".

Aspiring douchebags, I'd presume.

So it looks like Mad Max wont get a China release (next few weeks are already scheduled) and then the "protection period" starts. I doubt it gets a release after that. Would have loved to see it here :(

That's a shame if true. China could've done more for Mad Max's box office numbers. Studios will gladly send Transformers 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 over to China, but not a good movie like Fury Road?

Had the exact same thoughts upon seeing the trailer.

"Why would I ever want to be around these people for a minute let alone a full movie?"

Alrus

Insidious 2 was a total piece of shit so I'm not surprised the third one is underperforming. It's rather cheap though so it should end up making a decent amount of money despite its drop.

Are horror movies in the summer a good idea?

The Conjuring opened in July and made a ton of money for a horror movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom