• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•19-21•15 - Box Office got the same alpha, Inside Out opening Dope

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I believe Furious 7 would have claimed third highest grossing film of all time after this weekend, correct?

No. Universal basically pulled the film from theatres overseas when Jurassic World launched, and I heard that they are wrapping up the domestic run this weekend. Last week in made $1M worldwide according to Universal, and this week will be even less. Avengers keeps third place for now.

Only $102m in second weekend for JW? Lame. Not a record.
Until the actual come in tomorrow and it does take the record.

And man, Inside Out coming in strong.

3N16MA

Banned
Inside Out made more money on opening weekend than Monsters University or Cars 2. Hopefully this along with potential success of The Good Dinosaur can get Pixar to cancel Toy Story 4 and Cars 3. People like Pixar the most when they're being original and coming up with emotional, funny movies.

Also, if Inside Out had come out last year, it'd be the third biggest opening of the year so far. Heck, this year, it's the fourth biggest so far. It's insane.

Toy Story 3 grossed more than a billion and was the animated record holder until Frozen surpassed it. I think audiences are fine with Toy Story and will come out in droves for the 4th film. They also do well with critics.

I think at this point Disney demands Cars sequels so they can push more merchandise.

kurahador

Whoa...that Inside Out score. Can't believe we're getting Minions here first instead.

And to save you guys money and time, Minions is bad. It's worse than Despicable Me 1&2 and all the funny gags are already shown in the trailers.

No. Universal basically pulled the film from theatres overseas when Jurassic World launched, and I heard that they are wrapping up the domestic run this weekend. Last week in made $1M worldwide according to Universal, and this week will be even less. Avengers keeps third place for now.

That seems incredibly dumb. Why didn't they push to take the title?

inm8num2

Good to see that Inside Out had such a strong OW. It may not have won the weekend, but it had a great opening and will certainly have some legs before Minions comes along.

Higgy

So what is the consensus of what is the better movie? Jurassic World, Inside Out, or Dope?

My mom and wife cried at inside out. I almost teared up, and I'm a guy who could watch Goodfellas or any other Scorcese flick everyday for the rest of my life and be happy. Volcano short at the beginning was weird. Seriously what the hell was that lol? I'm gonna lava you forever!

My mom and wife cried at inside out. I almost teared up, and I'm a guy who could watch Goodfellas or any other Scorcese flick everyday for the rest of my life and be happy. Volcano short at the beginning was weird. Seriously what the hell was that lol? I'm gonna lava you forever!
Scorsese.

Ridley327

I'm surprised Dope had such a wide release. You would think that would have been a strong candidate for a rollout strategy.

It's not an out-and-out flop like The D-Train was, but I'm somewhat puzzled by this new WIDE OR NOTHING trend I've seeing with some of the Sundance selections.

I feel kind of obligated to watch it, the trailers are still such a turn off though.

It is not worth the trouble, imo. Chris Pratt was fine (even though he had zero chemistry with Howard. Story was laughably bad and the logic flaws were abundant. At least in JP it made sense why so many things went wrong (they were testing the park prior to opening). Here, it seemed like whoever was in charge of park planning and safety was...yeah. I don't want to say anymore.

Needless to say, it was instantly forgettable for me, whereas JP was an instant classic.

AHA-Lambda

Whoa...that Inside Out score. Can't believe we're getting Minions here first instead.

And to save you guys money and time, Minions is bad. It's worse than Despicable Me 1&2 and all the funny gags are already shown in the trailers.

Wait, what?? D:

Wow great to see Inside Out do really well! I was a bit worried it would struggle with Jurassic World and Minions (Minions is out here, didn't know the US got it later).

Would someone who loved the first 2 like minions?

Taking my girlfriend who loves the first two to see it even though I only liked the first.

Toa TAK

Banned
Jurassic World seems like one to skip from all the reception or maybe check out when it's really cheap. Dosen't seem essential.

Just like the other sequels? =\

I mean, JW is the best of the sequels (low bar), but in general the series sucks besides the first film.

Wanderer5

Inside Out is rocking despite being in 2nd. And Mad Max pretty much broke even by now.

Still need to see Jurassic World heh, probably sometime this week.

Just like the other sequels? =\

I mean, JW is the best of the sequels (low bar), but in general the series sucks besides the first film.

the lost world was amazing. It was after the internet i found out it was apparently bad film. It was amazing to me as a kid and still is. The tent scene, the hunt, the chase, the cliff scene the running everything is amazing. OG Jp is classic. I do not recognize existence of jp3.

Toa TAK

Banned
the lost world was amazing. It was after the internet i found out it was apparently bad film. It was amazing to me as a kid and still is. The tent scene, the hunt, the chase, the cliff scene the running everything is amazing. OG Jp is classic. I do not recognize existence of jp3.

That's a shame. JPIII is good fun and is similar to JW in a few ways.

For the record, I love all the Jurassic Park movies, they're pillars of my childhood and have only fond memories of them. I recognize that the sequels aren't good, but I still enjoy the ever-living shit out of them regardless.
LOL.

JP3 was infinitely more entertaining to me than JW.

And there you go.^

What do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom