• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•19-21•15 - Box Office got the same alpha, Inside Out opening Dope

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Seems low for Inside Out given the weekend take. Monsters University made $11M in its first Monday.

Jurassic World will get pretty close to $500M after this weekend.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Monday update:

$10.49 million for Inside Out
$11.57 million for Jurassic World

I did not expect JP to hold its lead into the week, very surprising.

On the weirder side, everyone at work is completely hating on Inside Out. I haven't seen it yet, but no one here seems to have enjoyed it. These people are usually Pixar snobs, they even liked Brave of all things, yet this movie is getting torn apart by them.

Ridley327

Higher than one poster's predicted domestic total :p

Jurassic World will end up surprisingly close to Jurassic Park's Adjusted total (about $700M without the re-release).

JW will have to start dropping quickly to miss $650M.

And there's nothing to really challenge it until Minions.

Man, Universal orchestrated one hell of a summer slate.

kswiston

Man, Universal orchestrated one hell of a summer slate.

They have already hit $3.8B+ worldwide for their best year in company history. Given what Jurassic World has left in the tank, and what minions will gross, they will blow by $5B this year with ease.

Zultan

Banned
Monday update:

$10.49 million for Inside Out
$11.57 million for Jurassic World

Fantastic second Monday for World. $3.5 million above Avengers 1's second Monday take. $32.57 million above Avengers 1 at the same time point.

This is when Avatar starts pulling ahead. Avatar pulled in a massive $19.4 million its second Monday, yet stood at $232 million compared to World's $414.37 million. Does World have the legs to reach $750 million domestic? Not likely, but too early to call. It'll be interesting to see how this race turns out.

Higher than one poster's predicted domestic total :p

Jurassic World will end up surprisingly close to Jurassic Park's Adjusted total (about $700M without the re-release).

JW will have to start dropping quickly to miss $650M.

No one could have predicted it to possibly reach that number domestically.

They have already hit $3.8B+ worldwide for their best year in company history. Given what Jurassic World has left in the tank, and what minions will gross, they will blow by $5B this year with ease.

Next year is going to be a dive. What do they have?

Zultan

Banned
Nothing.

Their biggest potential earners are a new Bourne film, Warcraft, and the Huntsman sequel.

I wouldn't be surprised if Universal's 2016 is less than half of what they make this year.

Bourne will likely do well. Warcraft is a huge wildcard. Honestly, I think it's like 8 years too late. It can do well if it's made well and has good marketing. But this one can either bomb or be huge. Crystal ball is failing me.

Nothing.

Their biggest potential earners are a new Bourne film, Warcraft, and the Huntsman sequel.

I wouldn't be surprised if Universal's 2016 is less than half of what they make this year.

I don't see Warcraft or Hunstman doing a lot (specially not Hunstman). Warcraft may surprise, but I don't expect it to be huge. Bourne, I don't know, maybe Damon's return will help, but it's not really a huge franchise.

It's crazy how big this year got for them.

Zultan

Banned
I don't see Warcraft or Hunstman doing a lot (specially not Hunstman). Warcraft may surprise, but I don't expect it to be huge. Bourne, I don't know, maybe Damon's return will help, but it's not really a huge franchise.

Warcraft needs to tap into what made LOTR and Hobbit tons of money. We need a successful high-fantasy franchise. The Tolkien films are done, we need something to take their place.

If they can hit the right tone, it can hit a billion. Then again... video game movie. My personal WW range is 150 million to a billion. Yeah, I'm not being very precise in my guess... but oh well.

I think Wacraft has some potential to take off.

mreddie

Universal should be fucking dancing in the aisles. What a year for them.

shane-o-mac-entrance-o.gif

y2dvd

I'm sure it's been posted already but Inside Out had the biggest opening for an original IP not based on anything. Woot woot!

Son Of D

I'm sure it's been posted already but Inside Out had the biggest opening for an original IP not based on anything. Woot woot!

Has been posted but it's worth repeating. Makes me wonder what the first $100m opening new IP would be and when it'll happen.

Wubby

I hope Warcraft surprises. More fantasy is never really a bad thing and I've always liked the lore of the series.

China's gonna love Warcraft, it'll be huge. It'll rival The Hobbit

Yeah you would have think Warcraft will be huge in china. I really have no idea what to expect worldwide. I feel like it could be a big success but I also could see it taking the usual video game movie route. Hard to say without seeing anything from the movie or how they will advertise it.

Yeah you would have think Warcraft will be huge in china. I really have no idea what to expect worldwide. I feel like it could be a big success but I also could see it taking the usual video game movie route. Hard to say without seeing anything from the movie or how they will advertise it.
ILM was saying in the recent Wired article that it is one of their biggest and most ambitious projects ever. It should at least boast some amazing effects.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Bourne Ultimatum made 442 million worldwide in 2007. Damon back in the role after a nine year absence? It's clearing 500 million with ease.

RJT

I did not expect JP to hold its lead into the week, very surprising.

On the weirder side, everyone at work is completely hating on Inside Out. I haven't seen it yet, but no one here seems to have enjoyed it. These people are usually Pixar snobs, they even liked Brave of all things, yet this movie is getting torn apart by them.

They are crazy. Movie is awesome, a return to form by Pixar.

Montresor

The word of mouth for Jurassic World is rancid. It's a real shame that word of mouth got me to watch this movie because it is horrible. I liked the first 30 minutes but the movie kept getting more and more boring. Some of the action was just horrible. So many characters making so many stupid decisions.

I burst out in laughter when
the velociraptors defected from team Kingpin to team Indominus

It pissed me off the way the
babysitter died. Fuck off whoever wrote that part of the script. I know it's irrational to think this way since so many faceless people die in the movie but it rubbed me the wrong way how they essentially built that character to the sole purpose of having an "epic super cool dinosaur death". *shudder* I really did not like how she got bounced around by the flying dinosaur and then eaten by the gigantic swimming dinosaur

The characters in this movie were imbeciles. How is it possible for them to
employ so many ineffective methods of capturing and killing the Indominus. For fuck's sake that ACU team was completely useless. And then the helicopter rush with the machine gun was equally useless. Didn't even scratch the Indominus. And then their genius idea is to use velociraptors to hunt the Indominus
.. LOL. And finally, the dumb aunt who would rather talk profits than spend time with her nephews decides releasing the t-rex is the best way to succeed. In the end their sheer incompetence was bailed out in an incredible fortuitous stroke of luck, when the Indominus magically approaches the water and coincidentally at that very moment the swimming dinosaur is there to kill the Indominus.

The word of mouth for Jurassic World is rancid. It's a real shame that word of mouth got me to watch this movie because it is horrible. I liked the first 30 minutes but the movie kept getting more and more boring. Some of the action was just horrible. So many characters making so many stupid decisions.

babysitter died. Fuck off whoever wrote that part of the script. I know it's irrational to think this way since so many faceless people die in the movie but it rubbed me the wrong way how they essentially built that character to the sole purpose of having an "epic super cool dinosaur death". *shudder* I really did not like how she got bounced around by the flying dinosaur and then eaten by the gigantic swimming dinosaur

employ so many ineffective methods of capturing and killing the Indominus. For fuck's sake that ACU team was completely useless. And then the helicopter rush with the machine gun was equally useless. Didn't even scratch the Indominus. And then their genius idea is to use velociraptors to hunt the Indominus
.. LOL. And finally, the dumb aunt who would rather talk profits than spend time with her nephews decides releasing the t-rex is the best way to succeed. In the end their sheer incompetence was bailed out in an incredible fortuitous stroke of luck, when the Indominus magically approaches the water and coincidentally at that very moment the swimming dinosaur is there to kill the Indominus.
It was so good! (not sarcastic)

aerts1js

eh, the movie is just dumb fun which is what a lot of people want/expect from a dinosaur movie. Don't think too hard about the logic behind what's happening on screen and enjoy it for what it is.

Shit movies are all the rage now.
In the forties and fifties, musicals were killing it. Plenty of disposable trash tops the charts at all times, but we still get great films.

Besides, all the real film people know mofucking Mad Max stole this summer. Movie's gonna explode on home video with no adult ID required to see it.

Edit: I'll concede that profits from tent pole films used to fund mid-level development waaaay more than it does now, but that's kind of corporations in general. Consolidated shit more and more over smaller, less bankable concepts.

Eidan

Most of those are in no way problematic. You just seem like a very anal movie goer.

Caode

Tuesday update:

$13.13 million for Jurassic World.
($427.50 million total)

$13.04 million for Inside Out
($113.96 million total)

pestul

Are most kids out of school yet? It seems like the weekday holds are getting much stronger.

JW has a strong chance of passing Ultron before the weekend.

Zultan

Banned
Tuesday update:

$13.13 million for Jurassic World.
($427.50 million total)

$13.04 million for Inside Out
($113.96 million total)

Wow for World. Is that #2 all-time for second Tuesday? I searched a few big names and only saw Avatar above it.

kswiston

It's very weird. It's about a 8/9 million jump, isn't it? Came out of nowhere, quite literally.

I emailed Box Office Mojo about it, and now the number has magically returned to Universal's official number :p

Furious 7 is back to being the #4 movie of all time

Wow for World. Is that #2 all-time for second Tuesday? I searched a few big names and only saw Avatar above it.

Depends on how you want to count the Transformers films (TF2 and TF3). They opened on a Tuesday, so technically their second Tuesday was higher.

I still don't get the love for JW. It was good summer fun and all, but fairly dumb and predictable. It also felt like so many other giant monster ScyFy Channel crapfests.

"We created a new kind of dinosaur!"

"Well look out! That new one of dinosaur is hunting other dinosaurs...*dramatic pause as the camera zooms in*...for sport!"

I'm not saying it didn't deserve some success. Just not so much. I mean, It's a damn far sight better than the last two, but it drags the name of the timeless original down just by being associated with it. IMO, of course.

Caode

Wednesday update:

$9.44 million for Jurassic World.
($436.94 million total)

$9.375 million for Inside Out
($123.34 million total)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom