• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•19-21•15 - Box Office got the same alpha, Inside Out opening Dope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futurematic

Fast/Furious gang cars that transform into Robotech style mechs to battle alien invaders*.

I'm pitching this to Universal first thing on Monday so I'll thank you to keep your competing pitches to yourself, thank you.
Mine has the aliens up-armouring & up-gunning the dinosaurs, we could do it as two-parts?

kmfdmpig

Huh? This is only the second film in the franchise to feature the actual park and the first time it wasn't open to the public and happened in secrecy.

I have partially purged the second and third from my memory, but is the notion that the public never learns that the events of the first park led to the issues in the second and third movie (both of which had decent sized body counts)?

Mrbob

Boxoffice.com revised down their prediction for Terminator Genisys, so I am not expecting great things. We will find out on Wednesday.

Minions seems to be undervalued. When I saw Jurassic World the whole packed theater ate up the 2 minute teaser trailer.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Minions seems to be undervalued. When I saw Jurassic World the kids the whole packed theater ate up the 2 minute teaser trailer.

I would be very surprised if Minions doesnt make $100m+ OW
I can't speak for the USA but in the UK they are everywhere and generally seem to be liked but everyone, not just kids

Son Of D

I can't speak for the USA but in the UK they are everywhere and generally seem to be liked but everyone, not just kids

Yeah I can vouch for this. So many products are using the Minions for their marketing over here. That plus all the merchandise I've seen already. It's going to be huge.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Given that DM2 made $72M here I'm not too surprised
I wonder what kind of opening it will have

I've seen an ad for Minions on basically every channel I've watched the last couple weeks. They're freaking everywhere. I don't follow box office threads too much but I'll be shocked if it opens under 120 million the first weekend with how many ads I've seen.

in non-JW news, Inside Out is doing like stupid good domestically for a Pixar film, right? $300m dom gotta be in play, Minions be damned

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I did not enjoy Inside Out as much as I would of thought - my expectations were most likely too high.

Still, I'm hoping Pixar maintains their consecutive #1's at the BO and this week is the best chance it has to do so.

vinnygambini

Isn't early tracking suggesting that Inside Out might debut at #1 this weekend so it would continue their reign or is it still Jurassic World (they always update it)?

Isn't early tracking suggesting that Inside Out might debut at #1 this weekend so it would continue their reign or is it still Jurassic World (they always update it)?

Their streak was films opening at number 1. I guess you could say "consecutive movies to hit number 1 at any point" could still be a streak, but it just sort of shows how meaningless that stat is. Inside out was a huge opening for Pixar, much bigger than nearly any other movie they've ever made, despite it opening 2nd.

TheFixer

Neo Member
Given that the film had already debuted last week, I'd rank the chances of it debuting again this weekend - let alone at #1 - to be relatively minute. But I suppose there is a slight glimmer of a chance that spacetime will fold unto itself, shattering our conception of linear time and rewriting the course of history as we know it.

vinnygambini

Their streak was films opening at number 1. I guess you could say "consecutive movies to hit number 1 at any point" could still be a streak, but it just sort of shows how meaningless that stat is. Inside out was a huge opening for Pixar, much bigger than nearly any other movie they've ever made, despite it opening 2nd.

Perfect! Hoping for the best!

It's a tad meaningless, but good PR for Disney ahhaha

Given that the film had already debuted last week, I'd rank the chances of it debuting again this weekend - let alone at #1 - to be relatively minute. But I suppose there is a slight glimmer of a chance that spacetime will fold unto itself, shattering our conception of linear time and rewriting the course of history as we know it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

kswiston

Early Saturday numbers are suggesting that Jurassic World is actually going to take the weekend again.

If Inside Out doesn't win next weekend, it will easily smash Big Fat Greek Wedding's record as the highest grossing film to never hit #1 on a weekend.

Matt_

I'm assuming this June is on track to be the biggest ever right?

Wubby

Early Saturday numbers are suggesting that Jurassic World is actually going to take the weekend again.

If Inside Out doesn't win next weekend, it will easily smash Big Fat Greek Wedding's record as the highest grossing film to never hit #1 on a weekend.

Booooo. I wanted Inside Out to at least take this weekend.

G-Fex

Sorry I couldn't hear you over all the gunfire, what were you saying?

4S65C6h.jpg
This isn't going to go away is it?:p

kswiston

If Jurassic World's Saturday was indeed bigger than Inside Out's, it will probably win this weekend as well. Universal seems to like to play it cautious.

That said, $54.2M is coincidentally exactly what Jurassic World needed to hit $500M by today.

It beats Avengers quickest to $500M domestic by 6 days.

Avengers made $166M after its third weekend. If Jurassic World at least matches that, it will pass Titanic for the #2 domestic slot.

vinnygambini

Hoping IO gets that number 1, but as many mentioned, Universal tend to underestimate their releases.

Edit: Ted 2 is a huge disappointment.

JW would need a 27% Sunday drop to have that result, while IO would need a 10% drop.

Roughly 0% chance of that being accurate.

Disney is fudging high, and Universal is underestimating.

kswiston

Disney didn't fudge. BOM continues to not know what they are doing.

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Jurassic World - $54.2M - $500M total
2) Inside Out - $52.1M - $185M total
3) Ted 2 - $32.9M
4) Max - $12.2M

vinnygambini

Disney didn't fudge. BOM continues to not know what they are doing.

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Jurassic World - $54.2M - $500M total
2) Inside Out - $52.1M - $185M total
3) Ted 2 - $32.9M
4) Max - $12.2M

Yup. The-numbers shows the same. So odd from BOM. I used to visit that site regularly.
What happened?

kswiston

Yup. The-numbers shows the same. So odd from BOM. I used to visit that site regularly.
What happened?

IMDB has been cutting its operating budget I would guess. They have also had some significant staff turnover.

Worldwide Updates:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - $1.371B
Tomorrowland - $202M
Inside Out - $266M

vinnygambini

IMDB has been cutting its operating budget I would guess. They have also had some significant staff turnover.

Worldwide Updates:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - $1.371B
Tomorrowland - $202M
Inside Out - $266M

Seems like the logical explaination.

I wonder if Disney will do a write-down for Tomorrowland as they have done in the past with John Carter and Lone Ranger - it performed in the same range as those and carried the equivalent budget.

kswiston

Seems like the logical explaination.

I wonder if Disney will do a write-down for Tomorrowland as they have done in the past with John Carter and Lone Ranger - it performed in the same range as those and carried the equivalent budget.

I think it was announced that they probably will be doing that. Age of Ultron and Star Wars still have a shot at $3B combined, so it's hard to feel too bad for them this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom