• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 06•19-21•15 - Box Office got the same alpha, Inside Out opening Dope

Status
Not open for further replies.
JW has dropped way behind Avatar this week in the daily BO. It was only a matter of time. Still ahead of Avengers though.

Fury Road at 145. Not as good as I would have hoped but still better than initial projections. It will hit 350 WW soon.

Futurematic

Anybody have bets on this weekend?

We've got Ted 2 tracking for 45-50 million, Jurassic World tracking for 60 million, and Inside Out tracking for 50 million plus. Who wins the cage fight?

Caode

I don't think Star Wars is as "locked" to take the domestic crown as we all thought a few weeks ago. Especially if Jurassic World approaches $700M domestic.

This. I know it's too early to tell but I can't see Star Wars topping Jurassic World numbers unless it has Avatar legs.

This. I know it's too early to tell but I can't see Star Wars topping Jurassic World numbers unless it has Avatar legs.

Yep, before JW i would have said that SW had the domestic of the year locked down but not anymore. I wonder if JW will end up higher than SW worldwide. Would be pretty crazy

T'Zariah

Banned

I still don't see JW passing 600 million. It's probably going to slow way down this weekend.

Or it says fuck you Jasaiga and continues to be Numero 1

I don't think Star Wars is as "locked" to take the domestic crown as we all thought a few weeks ago. Especially if Jurassic World approaches $700M domestic.

Not locked, but I'll bet on it.

JW's numbers are crazy though, specially considering it's had strong competition compared to something like Avengers.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I still don't see JW passing 600 million. It's probably going to slow way down this weekend.

It's expected to have a $55+ weekend which would put it at #2 for 3rd weekends
That and it's weekend drops + week day drops have been lighter (and higher in gross) than avengers
Given that there is nothing coming for weeks that can truly challenge it (Terminator looks to be a bomb and antman is tracking to be potentially the lowest MCU opening ever behind the Incredible Hulk) I can't see it falling off a cliff any time soon, and even if it did the higher weekday grosses will serve it well

Zultan

Banned

World's OW clocked in 1.4 million dollars higher than Avengers 1. Yesterday alone World outgrossed Avengers 1 by 2.7 million dollars comparing just second Thursdays. So far World's cumulative lead has grown to over 43 million dollars. World has much better legs than Avengers 1.

World is currently at 445 million. Avengers 1 was at 402 million at this point in time.

Avengers 1 ended at 623 million. Not seeing World pass 600 million is pure fantasy not backed up by any statistical analysis or common sense.

kswiston

It's pretty much impossible for Jurassic World to miss $600M now. It's going to be very close to $500M by the end of this weekend. It would have to go from making more than Avengers every day to making less than 60% of what Avengers made starting right about now.

Early Friday numbers are pointing to Inside Out taking the weekend.

kmfdmpig

That's good to hear. It was much better than JW. I am surprised how well JW has done, although I wonder if the concept limits the potential for sequels. It already strains belief that a new park could reopen again and again after what happens in each film and that seems like it becomes more of an issue over time. There are obviously other directions they could go, including one that they set up pretty well in JW, but I suspect that if they go in those directions the film becomes a bit less interesting to a lot of people.

Drago

That's good news. Saw it this week and I seriously think it might be my new favorite Pixar film. I thought the film was brilliant and I'm happy to see it's a big success.

That's good to hear. It was much better than JW. I am surprised how well JW has done, although I wonder if the concept limits the potential for sequels. It already strains belief that a new park could reopen again and again after what happens in each film and that seems like it becomes more of an issue over time. There are obviously other directions they could go, including one that they set up pretty well in JW, but I suspect that if they go in those directions the film becomes a bit less interesting to a lot of people.

Huh? This is only the second film in the franchise to feature the actual park and the first time it wasn't open to the public and happened in secrecy

But your right that if they go in other directions the series becomes uninteresting. To me the realistic theme park setting with dinosaurs is what I love about the franchise. I would love for the next movie being how they built the park or different companies sending people to the ruins of the old park to gather data and samples rather than military raptors vs terrorists or some other dumb shit. Please don't turn this franchise into fast and furious.

Busty

Banned

This is an excellent point actually. No doubt Universal are looking a dreaded cinematic universe or some shit for the 'Jurassic' franchise but really the idea only lends itself to one film. Even the two sequels to JP feel horribly unnecessary retreads of the original, "Oh wait, there's another island....". I sure this won't stop Universal milking the idea for all its worth anyway.

For the record I thought Jurassic World was a 4/10 at best. A nonsense protagonist in the superdino, flat characters, Pratt trying to be Josh Brolin and failing horribly, zero tension and by the numbers VFX set pieces clearly done by pre-viz guys. Blargh.

mreddie

I'm sure Universal is saddened by Ted's under performance.

giphy.gif

I think Inside Out takes the weekend, myself. But only just barely.

It really does seem like we're gonna have to wait til Monday. Again. For the third week in a row.

This is an excellent point actually. No doubt Universal are looking a dreaded cinematic universe or some shit for the 'Jurassic' franchise but really the idea only lends itself to one film.

Jurassic War. The series is going to go full on big-dumb monster movie. Especially considering that going big-dumb monster movie is the reason the last half-hour works like it does, and is engendering the goodwill that it's got.

kswiston

I had a strong feeling Ted 2 would drop heavily from the first.

Tomorrow, Jurassic World will bump Star Wars Episodes 1 and 4 down the all time domestic list to take #5. It will pass The Dark Knight some time next weekend.

kswiston

Does Jurassic World really have a shot at 700 mil? I don't know that I see it.

Probably not a great one, but if it just matches Avengers' gross going forward, Jurassic World will hit $665M. Jurassic World's weekend grosses are starting to fall behind those of the Avengers as expected, but Summer Weekdays will continue to prop up weekly totals.

Probably not a great one, but if it just matches Avengers' gross going forward, Jurassic World will hit $665M. Jurassic World's weekend grosses are starting to fall behind those of the Avengers as expected, but Summer Weekdays will continue to prop up weekly totals.

Next weekend should keep JW going strong with the holiday. Unless Terminator somehow becomes a bigger hit than we are all anticipating.

Minions is going to come in and clean its clock though. Universal wins again.

And I wonder how well Magic Mike XXL is going to do compared to the first one.

kswiston

Boxoffice.com revised down their prediction for Terminator Genisys, so I am not expecting great things. We will find out on Wednesday.

wachie

Boxoffice.com revised down their prediction for Terminator Genisys, so I am not expecting great things. We will find out on Wednesday.
Going by rotten tomatoes, Facebook likes and twitter reactions, totally makes sense.

I'm not saying that their prediction # is wrong, just their method.

Busty

Banned
I had a strong feeling Ted 2 would drop heavily from the first.

There didn't seem to be the excitement that the first film had going into this weekend so I'm not really surprised that it hasn't grown from the first film's opening.

I am however fascinated about how MI:Rogue Nation will perform at the box office. Apparently the tracking has been all over the place from a solid $60m to under $50m. I feel like 4 years might be too long a break from (the solid, but largely overrated) Ghost Protocol and maybe audiences are cooler about Cruise now.

I'm sure Rogue Nation will be a hit but I'm hard pressed to see it match Ghost Protocol's nearly $700m worldwide gross.

Jurassic War. The series is going to go full on big-dumb monster movie. Especially considering that going big-dumb monster movie is the reason the last half-hour works like it does, and is engendering the goodwill that it's got.

The problem with dinosaurs as antagonists is that they aren't very compelling beyond being dinosaurs in the modern age out of their own time. At least Godzilla is a massive and a battles similarly huge foe which dwarf humans. It's not as if a T-Rex could really go head to head against an Apache helicopter for example.

There is no 'hive mind', no master plan or motive. Just dinosaurs being dinosaurs so any 'war' with mankind would literally just be a safari/extermination.

No doubt Jurassic World 2 will be Pratt returning to the island and..., blah, blah, blah, profits.

kswiston

Next 3 weeks, doubtful. You got Terminator, Magic Mike, Minions, Antman and Pixels. If it does, it'll be a slow crawl.

Jurassic World might make more than Terminator does next weekend. Magic Mike has such a narrow audience demographic that I doubt it matters that much. Minions and the other will hurt in later weeks though.

Ridley327

Has there ever been a movie that's had its projections so continually downgraded? Absolutely nothing has gone right with the film's marketing.

There is no 'hive mind', no master plan or motive. Just dinosaurs being dinosaurs so any 'war' with mankind would literally just be a safari/extermination.

I'm betting they start strip-mining the Sayles script for ideas and then building those ideas out.

Jurassic War doesn't have to be Man vs Dinosaur. But Man vs. Man with Dinosaur Armies.

Basically - what if Ingen becomes a weapons dealer. Now you've got countries with weaponized dinosaurs out there.

duckroll

The problem with dinosaurs as antagonists is that they aren't very compelling beyond being dinosaurs in the modern age out of their own time. At least Godzilla is a massive and a battles similarly huge foe which dwarf humans. It's not as if a T-Rex could really go head to head against an Apache helicopter for example.

Sorry I couldn't hear you over all the gunfire, what were you saying?

4S65C6h.jpg

Jigorath

Banned
Worth it. That western movie was cheap.
And Ted 2 will make an assload of money.

Also BOBBY LIVES

It made 86m on a 40m budget (not including marketing), doubt it made a profit. And Ted 2 is way underperforming right now. Dunno the budget so I can't say if it'll be a failure or not but these aren't good numbers to a sequel for such a breakout hit. The franchise is basically dead with the second film.

kswiston

Ted 2's reported budget was $85M. Considering the first film broke $500M worldwide, Ted 2 will still make money, even if it sees a Hangover 3 style drop.

Busty

Banned
I'm betting they start strip-mining the Sayles script for ideas and then building those ideas out.

Jurassic War doesn't have to be Man vs Dinosaur. But Man vs. Man with Dinosaur Armies.

Basically - what if Ingen becomes a weapons dealer. Now you've got countries with weaponized dinosaurs out there.

Sorry I couldn't hear you over all the gunfire, what were you saying?

4S65C6h.jpg

Pew. Pew. Pew.

I actually love the image of dinosaurs in battle armour like that but doesn't that aesthetic lend itself more to Dinotopia and DIno Riders rather than Jurassic Park/World? Though they all feature dinosaurs the idea of a JW sequel having dino based warfare just doesn't feel like it fits the Spielberg ethos at all.

It's almost like giving the Fast/Furious gang cars that transform into Robotech style mechs to battle alien invaders*. Like..., they could do that, the F/F universe is so pulpy anyway it wouldn't feel like that much of a stretch, but then it moves so far away from the original material what's the point?

I'm pitching this to Universal first thing on Monday so I'll thank you to keep your competing pitches to yourself, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom