• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 5•31-6•2•13 - Eisenberg, right ahead! of Mr & Mr Smith, Whitta am cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alrus

People who think that World War Z is going to be some humungous bomb just sound like bitter fans of the book who are angry that the movie isn't what they wanted. Will it be a raging success? No idea... but I'd feel pretty comfortable thinking it won't have trouble making its money back. The gnashing of teeth on the internet isn't indicative of how successful it'll be. The comparisons to John Carter are especially laughable.

I haven't read the books, so no. The production was a mess, it went massively overbudget and that still doesn't include the massive marketing budget required for a movie of this caliber. Unless it's a massive break out hit (grossing at least over 500m worldwide), it won't make any money for Paramount... And considering how shitty the marketing has been so far (Why is Brad Pitt so important? What is he fighting? Those thing are never clear by looking at the trailer, which is not a good way to entice audiences), I really doubt it's going to be big.

GrrdS8E.gif

Why dont they want me, man? Why dont they want me?

Dr.Acula

Banned
Shitty writers of the new trek movies aren't involved with the new Star Wars. It has a higher chance of being a better film

I really don't know about the production for ST09, but didn't JJ have quite a bit of control? SW is now owned by Disney suits, and I can't help but feel like they're not going to want to give their massive new film to a director they can't "control." So it'll be a director without much say working on a script touched by no less than two-dozen writers, all overseen by at least three or four megolomanianic Disney producers who each feel very strongly about pulling the film in wildly different directions.

Star Wars will be a clusterfuck. Quote me!

Bad year for movies so far. What's the consensus best? Django? What else from this year has been great?

Rumba

Banned
As expected, horrible comedy sequel gets saved by international audiences :/

You must be kidding me. There are what, 300 million people in the US and there's 7 Billion people around the world. That's what, 4-5% ratio?

duckroll

I love to hate Bay movies (guilty pleasure), so I'd probably end up watching it if they made it. Don't really have a problem with any movie being made.

It's the same reason why I watch Abrams stuff these days, so I guess I really don't have any right to complain! :)

Alrus

You must be kidding me. There are what, 300 million people in the US and there's 7 Billion people around the world. That's what, 4-5% ratio?

Yeah those 7 billion people all have easy access to movie theaters and Cinema has been an integral part of their culture for decades... I don't really see your point, yeah American box office will be less and less relevant as years go with the rapidly growing markets in Russia, China and co, and they are less hostile towards awful sequels, which is what I said.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The Sixth Sense
Budget: $40M
WW Total: $673M

Unbreakable
Budget: $75M
WW Total: $248M

Signs
Budget: $75M
WW Total: $408M

The Village
Budget: $60M
WW Total: $257M

Lady in the Water
Budget: $70M
WW Total: $72M

The Happening
Budget: $48M
WW Total: $163M

The Last Airbender
Budget: $150M
WW Total: $320M

Other than Lady in the Water and the Last Airbender to a lesser extent, he's had a pretty profitable career. Probably bought himself a decent amount of credit, even though his career is on a downward spiral.

I feel like... that bit in the GAF documentary when Gary Whitta says that GAF users don't know shit and their opinion isn't worth shit (paraphrased) I feel like this is what he's talking about. the question 'How the fuck does M Night keep getting jobs' is answered by over a billion bucks in profit buying him a shit ton of credit.

He probably won't stop getting jobs until stinkers like the last airbender fail to generate 170 million dollars of profit.

I really don't know about the production for ST09, but didn't JJ have quite a bit of control? SW is now owned by Disney suits, and I can't help but feel like they're not going to want to give their massive new film to a director they can't "control." So it'll be a director without much say working on a script touched by no less than two-dozen writers, all overseen by at least three or four megolomanianic Disney producers who each feel very strongly about pulling the film in wildly different directions.

Bad year for movies so far. What's the consensus best? Django? What else from this year has been great?

I think ST:ID is a great movie and easily the best movie so far this year.

Cheebo

Banned
Glad to see Star Trek is still making some money, really enjoyed that one.

omfg

It ended up having pretty good legs, should finish at about 225 mil or so and beat the first one worldwide.

Star Wars 7 has one single screen writer. And Abrams will have control. He isn't just a director. But producer and Episode VII is being produced by Bad Robot his production house.

Oh and it doesn't have any Disney producers. It has one executive producer, Kathleen Kennedy from Lucasfilm and two regular producers, JJ Abrams and Bryan Burk from Bad Robot.

Disney is following the Marvel model on this one.

kswiston

I feel like... that bit in the GAF documentary when Gary Whitta says that GAF users don't know shit and their opinion isn't worth shit (paraphrased) I feel like this is what he's talking about. the question 'How the fuck does M Night keep getting jobs' is answered by over a billion bucks in profit buying him a shit ton of credit.

He probably won't stop getting jobs until stinkers like the last airbender fail to generate 170 million dollars of profit.

Movie theatres get a substantial cut of the box office take, so you have to multiply those numbers by .4 or so to get an idea of studio earnings. However, MNS was 5 for 7 on his movies as far as profitability goes before After Earth, which explains why he continues to get work.

Also, other than the Last Airbender, he's always worked on mid budget movies.

EDIT: Finally, Hollywood is complex. Oliver Stone continues to get money to direct films and he hasn't had a smash hit since the 80s.

Batigol

Banned

The thing is marketing costs aren't taken in as part of the budget, nor is the fact the studios don't get 100 percent of money made back, especially overseas. So he's really just barely breaking even on a few of those. Nothing to be proud of

Alrus

Haha that sentence is a bit ironic considering the first part of your post. The Last Airbender didn't generate anything close to 170m in profit. The budget doesn't include marketing, and the studios don't get 100% of the gross.

Zen

Banned
Haha that sentence is a bit ironic considering the first part of your post. The Last Airbender didn't generate anything close to 170m in profit. The budget doesn't include marketing, and the studios don't get 100% of the gross.

True true, though it surely generated more profit off of DVD/BRs etc.

http://www.*****************/tvshow...KEY-Oh-Brad-This-zombie-flick-brain-dead.html

WWZ early review. Bomba incoming?

Oh Brad! This zombie flick is brain dead: CHRIS TOOKEY reviews World War Z
By CHRIS TOOKEY

WORLD WAR Z (15, TBC)

Verdict: World War Zzzzzz

Rating: 2/5

Movies don’t come bigger than this, and zombie flicks tend to come an awful lot smaller. In Shaun of the Dead, the undead had to content themselves with snacking off a handful of British actors in a deserted pub. Here, it’s the future of humanity at stake.

This time, Brad Pitt is here to save us, and the skies are soon full of crashing helicopters, screaming jets and stuntpeople being sucked out of aircraft.
So what’s it like? Well, it’s awfully like all the epic action films made by Roland Emmerich, ranging from the nearly sublime (Independence Day) to the totally ridiculous (10,000 BC). It’s slap-bang in the middle of that quality spectrum, round about the level of Godzilla and not quite as classy as The Day the World Ended.
Scroll down for trailer

Brad Pitt in action in World War Z where he stars as an American UN worker and father
The film is most impressive in its big set-pieces. The initial panic on the streets of Philadelphia is thrillingly done, as is the fall of Jerusalem to the zombie horde. There’s also an effective airborne sequence.
But it is horrifyingly feeble when it comes to characterisation. Brad Pitt’s hero lacks personality. All we know is that he loves his family, but no one has given him or his relations any exceptional qualities.

More...
'I'm here for Brad, I'm so proud of him': Angelina Jolie misses aunt's funeral to attend Pitt's London premiere of World War Z as pair wear matching black
Byzantium: Well made, but was it worth making? Kinky vampires fail to excite
The Purge: Dystopic science fiction meets horror in this ingenious family-in-peril thriller
A key fault is that we never find out why the powers-that-be at the United Nations think so highly of Pitt. He’s resourceful, but he doesn’t seem particularly brave, bright or knowledgeable. It is a central weakness of the film that, without any particular expertise, he solves the mystery of how to fight the zombies before anyone else. It’s as though no one except him is paying attention.
World War Z has had what might euphemistically be called a troubled history, with producer-star Pitt publicly at odds with director Marc Forster, who shows here once again that he is more confident with small-scale projects (such as Finding Neverland) than action adventures (such as the Bond bore-a-thon, Quantum of Solace).

Pitt attended the UK premiere of World War Z with wife Angelina Jolie at the Empire, Leicester Square
After negative reaction within the studio, the final 40 minutes were rewritten and reshot at a cost of $200million. It’s hard to know where the money went. The long, would-be climactic sequence inside a Welsh research laboratory looks about as lavish as the average episode of Doctor Who.

Brad Pitt introduced the screening I attended, and promised the audience ‘the most intense film you’re going to see this summer’. He called it ‘original’ and ‘genre-bending’. If only it were.
Okay, the zombies are not the slow-moving undead of yesteryear. They’re sprightly, aggressive and eager to bite.

It’s like a planet seething with Mike Tysons and Luis Suarezes, doing lots of jerky, uncoordinated dance moves that look like Jarvis Cocker in the heyday of Pulp. But they’re not original. They were like that in Zack Snyder’s 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead.

It’s a tedious cliché that Pitt is torn between nurturing his cute children and rescuing the whole of mankind. No one except him is going to think that’s a tough call, but Pitt spends too much of the first hour chewing his lip over it.
If you’ve read Max Brooks’ original book, published in 2006, you will know that Pitt’s character is a UN worker trying to piece together the truth from a variety of sources.

Apparently, the first draft of the script, by J. Michael Straczynski, who wrote Changeling, Clint Eastwood’s classy drama starring Brad’s wife Angelina Jolie, was faithful to the source material.
Producer Pitt and Paramount junked that investigative structure, which might have turned into a movie along the lines of District 9, All The President’s Men or even Citizen Kane, in favour of a straightforward hero-to-the-rescue scenario.

That was written by Matthew Michael Carnahan, who scripted the undistinguished Kingdom and Lions for Lambs. Despite numerous others being recruited to rework the ending, Carnahan gets the main credit, shared with Drew Goddard (who directed The Cabin in the Woods) and Damon Lindelof, head writer on Lost.
None of the writers is at his best, and the film bears unmistakable signs of having been assembled by a Hollywood studio over-preoccupied with earning a family-friendly certificate. Virtually all the violence takes place fractionally off-screen. Disappointingly, the final product is much more conventional than the book and avoids its most interesting and innovative qualities.

Pitt's character in the film is a father torn between looking after his family and saving the world
'I would think about moving to the UK,' says Brad Pitt

Brooks’ purpose was to satirise the bungling of government, the excesses of survivalism and the dangers of corporate power. In the book, the zombie virus spreads from China via refugees and an illicit trade in human organs. Pakistan and Iran destroy each other in a nuclear dispute over border controls. Cuba becomes the world’s most thriving economy and the centre of international banking.

Paramount evidently think political stuff is too much for a cinema audience. Maybe they’re also nervous about how it might go down in China, Pakistan and Iran, not to mention America. So they’ve played safe and turned the story into a one-man triumph for an American UN operative with guts, intellect and movie-star looks.
World War Z isn’t terrible. Parts are impressive and exciting. But the incredibly long distance it falls short of its source material means it must rank as one of Hollywood’s most wasted opportunities.
There are estimates that the movie will have to gross $550million merely to break even. Its lack of originality, ingenuity and personality means that it has virtually no chance of making back that scale of investment.
Last year’s most underperforming blockbuster, John Carter, is said to have lost Disney over $200million and resulted in regime change within the studio.

If I were a senior Paramount executive, I would be afraid. Very, very afraid.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just got back from Fast 6, totally deserves the success it's getting. It'll be interesting how Fast 7 does, with a new director and competition from Need for Speed: Thr Movie.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Wow at Sixth Sense. 40 million budget, and I'm sure over a 1/3 of the budget was probably just because of the casting of Bruce Willis, while the WW gross was over 600 millions. that movie was a runaway success.

I had absolutely no idea World War Z was about zombies. Seemed like a 2012 type movie but with Brad Pitt. Did they even show the zombies in the trailers? I didn't notice any.

Fularu

Banned
I hope it means no more shitty kids in his movies (or elsewhere). After Earth had terrible written all over it (Whitta+Jayden+Shimalayan? terrific combo)

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) The Purge - $16.8M
2) The Internship - $6.5M
3) Fast 6 - $6.1M - $189M total
4) Now You See Me - $6.0M - $48M total
5) Epic - $3.5M - $76M total

- Even with crappy horror movie legs, The Purge will be pretty huge. Probably high 30s-low 40s on a $3M budget.

- Good hold for Now You See Me. The movie has a shot at $100M unless it is completely annihilated by Man of Steel next weekend (which could happen).

- Epic continues its climb to $100M as well. It should be close to that mark before Monster's University takes the family market away.

Batigol

Banned
Friday Studio Estimates

1) The Purge - $16.8M
2) The Internship - $6.5M
3) Fast 6 - $6.1M - $189M total
4) Now You See Me - $6.0M - $48M total
5) Epic - $3.5M - $76M total

- Even with crappy horror movie legs, The Purge will be pretty huge. Probably high 30s-low 40s on a $3M budget.

- Good hold for Now You See Me. The movie has a shot at $100M unless it is completely annihilated by Man of Steel next weekend (which could happen).

- Epic continues its climb to $100M as well. It should be close to that mark before Monster's University takes the family market away.

Where's AE at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom