• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 5•31-6•2•13 - Eisenberg, right ahead! of Mr & Mr Smith, Whitta am cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alrus

You can't take box office gross, substract the production budget and say it's net profit. Movie studios only get a fraction of the actual gross.

kswiston

As expected, horrible comedy sequel gets saved by international audiences :/

Yup. Looks like this one will make at least $400M worldwide. Maybe more. I haven't checked to see how many more markets it has left to open in (if any).

We are quickly approaching the day where US grosses are an afterthought. I know studios only recoup 20-40% from international grosses, compared to 50%+ from the domestic gross, but that's not going to matter when movies are making 80% of their cash overseas.

Brad Pitt's not really a proven box office draw though. He's famous but it's been many many years since he's been in a big budget movie and expected to draw the audiences in.

Yea I don't see much hope for WWZ, it looks pretty dumb with its tidal wave of zombies attacking a helicopter.

EDIT: Oh yea, this too:

GrrdS8E.gif

Yea Pacific Rim has great hype, as does Man of Steel.

Great hype where? Outside of nerd circles I haven't seen anything regarding Pacific Rim. I have yet to see one trailer even for it in a theater showing or even posters. It almost feels like it has zero marketing so far. Man of Steel in comparison I see plastered everywhere

Great hype where? Outside of nerd circles I haven't seen anything regarding Pacific Rim. I have yet to see one trailer even for it in a theater showing or even posters. It almost feels like it has zero marketing so far. Man of Steel in comparison I see plastered everywhere

Pacific Rim opens a month after Man of Steel. Nerd circles are usually a great indicator of success(excluding Scott Pilgrim).

Pacific Rim opens a month after Man of Steel. Nerd circles are usually a great indicator of success(excluding Scott Pilgrim).

lol this has been proven wrong so often.

You need to market your movie if you plan on getting people to see it. They have done jack with PR. And PR is such an odd looking movie that is going to be hard to reach the general public with.

Haha fuck off M night. The trailers are fucking HORRIBLE. Jaden is a horrible actor and you give HIM the lead? No one wants to see old man Will Smith in a horrible CG movie. We want him fucking girls and shooting up drugs dealers with Martin.

Same goes for Hangover. Just because you're making millions doesn't always mean you should dish out shitty sequels. You'll eventually bomb. Or at the very least make it look funny.

I hope this is the start of Will Smith draw to go down
There's a trailer of Pacific Rim before FF6
Female behind me thought it was cool

The "Fanboy ceiling" is basically 30mil, domestic. That's the amount of money studios can rely on if their movie appeals SOLELY to the core.

Projects are typically greenlit because studios are convinced by the producers that there WILL be crossover, it just needs their money to provide the proper push to break the property out of the niche it currently holds.

Sometimes that push doesn't work, and then the movies are left to live and die by the core that already appreciates them. Scott Pilgrim is a great example. That thing made about $30 million.

2005: Serenity (25 million)

2006: Snakes on a Plane (35 million)

2007: Grindhouse (25 million)

2008: The Spirit (39 million)

2009: Speed Racer (43 million)

2010: Scott Pilgrim (31 million)

Catering to the core is good for creating "buzz" but that only goes so far. Legitimate anticipation has to created by the marketing departments, and it has to be aimed at people who aren't already on-board.

Will Pacific Rim do that? I don't know. But so far, WB seems to be nailing the Man of Steel marketing. Del Toro's gotta be hoping the same weight and strategy will apply to his film as well.

Exis

If Pacific Rim bombs then then it seems like non franchise science fiction is over... If it is successful than it will show that good ideas can work.

District 9 was more than successful because it was a good idea with a reasonable budget.

Messi

You don't get it. We haven't discovered the formula for getting the new mathematics to find out what after earf made.

If Pacific Rim bombs then then it seems like non franchise science fiction is over... If it is successful than it will show that good ideas can work.

District 9 was more than successful because it was a good idea with a reasonable budget.

District 9 also had a marketing campaign that was in full gear months ahead of release. PR seems to have none yet and is not to far out.

Cheebo

Banned
according to boxofficemojo, studios get ±55% of the domestic gross, and the percentage for the international gross is lower than that (±40% or something?).

It hasn't been THAT long since Inglourious Basterds which was a huge hit. That was 3 and a half years ago.

District 9 became successful off high reviews and very good word of mouth. I remember there was very little hype before it came out and then word started to spread among my friends and friends of friends about how good it was. I eventually went with a group to see it. That's how these sort of movies can become very successful. Pacific Rim can definitely do the same and it also has a more blockbuster feel to it so that should help. The best thing it can do for itself at this point is the just be a good movie.

The "Fanboy ceiling" is basically 30mil, domestic. That's the amount of money studios can rely on if their movie appeals SOLELY to the core.

Projects are typically greenlit because studios are convinced by the producers that there WILL be crossover, it just needs their money to provide the proper push to break the property out of the niche it currently holds.

Sometimes that push doesn't work, and then the movies are left to live and die by the core that already appreciates them. Scott Pilgrim is a great example. That thing made about $30 million.

Catering to the core is good for creating "buzz" but that only goes so far. Legitimate anticipation has to created by the marketing departments, and it has to be aimed at people who aren't already on-board.

Will Pacific Rim do that? I don't know. But so far, WB seems to be nailing the Man of Steel marketing. Del Toro's gotta be hoping the same weight and strategy will apply to his film as well.

Agree with all of this.

Depending on the Nerdcore to carry a film to box office success is fools gold.

kswiston

Would have been tough for District 9 to bomb. $30 million budget.

Lots of movies bomb on $30M budgets.

Pacific Rim is hard to judge. Huge robots/monsters have played well to audiences in the past, and the visual effects from the trailers look like they stand out. If the movie is any good, it could be pretty big. However, that budget is massive. The film is going to have to clear $500M (worldwide) before we can start thinking of it as a success.

tbf it probably sucks having a dad who's the coolest guy on earth and you can't pass for a poor imitation.

Will Smith started life as a regular person. His son started his life as Hollywood royalty. They were never going to have similar personalities.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

There was a trailer for it with After Earth. For whatever that's worth.

120v

i figured that will smith movie would bomb. not because it looks shitty but because it there've been a zillion movies like it already

Replicant

So that Scientology propaganda movie is flopping? Heh.

I wonder how much of a flop it is though in comparison to "Battlefield Earth".

MIMIC

Banned
The movie DOES look like shit, though. I've either seen all of Will's movies or had a mild interest to see the ones that I haven't.

I have zero interest in this one. It looks dumb (or rather that it doesn't look entertaining).

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
People who think that World War Z is going to be some humungous bomb just sound like bitter fans of the book who are angry that the movie isn't what they wanted. Will it be a raging success? No idea... but I'd feel pretty comfortable thinking it won't have trouble making its money back. The gnashing of teeth on the internet isn't indicative of how successful it'll be. The comparisons to John Carter are especially laughable.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
People who think that World War Z is going to be some humungous bomb just sound like bitter fans of the book who are angry that the movie isn't what they wanted. Will it be a raging success? No idea... but I'd feel pretty comfortable thinking it won't have trouble making its money back. The gnashing of teeth on the internet isn't indicative of how successful it'll be. The comparisons to John Carter are especially laughable.

I disagree. I started reading the book about a month ago, full disclosure. Haven't finished it, but I don't have some super strong connection or compulsion to defend the source material. I don't care what they changed, honestly some of the decisions like sticking to one protagonist make sense for the type of movie they wanted to make. This is supposed to be a big budget star vehicle for Brad Pitt.

All that being said, the entire thing screams bomba. Every sign points to the entire production of the movie being a mess. Rewrites upon rewrites, refilmings, new endings, super bloated budget.

It cost like $400 million to make. It's most likely going to get mediocre reviews, there is very little buzz about it, even among the type of people that would usually be into that type of movie.

It would not shock me if it opens up at #2 for that weekend of the 21st, after Man of Steel 2nd week gross.

Hollywood is start to learn some lessons. The days of a movie opening big just because it has Actor X in it are coming to an end. Unknowns in interesting movies can make more profit than these big budget blockbusters now.

Ashes

Banned
@bollywood gaf: Yei Jawaani Hai Deewani actually made it into the top 10, even though the chart in the op doesn't reflect that.

Tamanon

Banned

I dunno, it seems to be trying to be a disaster movie... I haven't read the books at all, but heard it was supposed to have zombies. Instead it's just a mass of pretty uninteresting CG and Brad Pitt being the star for some reason that's not really conveyed through commercials. With all the big movies coming out this summer, I just don't see much appeal.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
There´s Bad Boys 3 in the film listing but not sure if it´s true and when it will start filming.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000226/
Give me Bad Boys 3 dammit.

Been listed for awhile. I wouldn't be shocked if he handed over the director's chair after Transformer 4, he has to be a little tired of it. I'm surprised they got him to be more than producer after the third, honestly.

So if Bay steps away after TF4, Bad Boys 3 in Summer 2016 is feasible. That's assuming that Will Smith isn't busy.

EDIT: Actually, fuck Bay. Bad Boys 3, hand over the directing to Justin Lin. That's the direction I would go in.

Slayven

Damn good leg work.

I thought Pacific Rim was end of Summer, didn't know it is a month away Not a tv teaser of commercial? uh huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom