• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Haeleos said:
I'm really finding it hard to get over the armor and character's appearance in this game. As much I appreciate the work they've done on the environments, the characters look so out of date now... especially with no costume mode or dyes to avoid the mismatched clown clothing issue this game has always had.

It would require quite a bit of work, but I think the playable races and the gear are all badly in need of a visual refresh for the next expansion. A big part of my enjoyment of these games and a lot of my friends is the look of our characters...

Lord of the Rings Online has amazing options for setting the appearance of your armor and it's colors... more MMOs need to copy a system like that.
I would definitely agree about the character models, but I guess that's what the new races are for.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pride said:
I've decided to jump back into WOW after Catalysm launches as to date its own of the best MMO's I ever played (right behind Asheron's Call). Anyway I have played a Paladin to level 60, then after burning crusade played a night elf rogue to 70, then after Lich King I played an undead rogue to 80. I know I want to play as a Worgen but I'm trying to decide what class to play. A bit about my playstyle:

- Because my family and job come first I only play when I can squeeze in time so I play almost entirely solo (unless I have to group for a quest)
- Once I hit 85 I will probably PvP a little but do little raiding
- I will be playing on a PvP server (I really wish WOW had Chaos servers)

I was going to play as a Rogue because I know what I'd be in for and they are a lot of fun to play but was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations?

Here are the classes Worgen's can play:

•Death Knight
•Druid
•Hunter
•Mage
•Priest
•Rogue
•Warlock
•Warrior

If you're going solo then Rogue for stealth, or Mage for teleportation and mobility. The next two would be Hunter for survivability, or Warlock for being awesome.

Twig

Banned
Haeleos said:
I'm really finding it hard to get over the armor and character's appearance in this game. As much I appreciate the work they've done on the environments, the characters look so out of date now... especially with no costume mode or dyes to avoid the mismatched clown clothing issue this game has always had.

It would require quite a bit of work, but I think the playable races and the gear are all badly in need of a visual refresh for the next expansion. A big part of my enjoyment of these games and a lot of my friends is the look of our characters...

Lord of the Rings Online has amazing options for setting the appearance of your armor and it's colors... more MMOs need to copy a system like that.
I completely agree. The player models look ridiculously, um, not good compared to the environments. (Not that the environments are anything spectacular themselves, at least technically.)

More specifically, it really annoys me when I get some boss shoulder armor with spikes and shit and it looks so fucking rad but then... I get the chest armor for the associated set, and it's just a reskin of the usual "chest armor" model.

And, yeah, this game desperately needs armor appearance customization. \:

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
locks and hunters are probably the two easiest classes to solo level up. let your pets soak damage while you sit back and dish out the pain. no down time whatsoever and you can do many quests that other classes might find difficult to do own their own.

notworksafe

LovingSteam said:
Just an FYI folks but Cataclysm box art has replaced Lich King when you click on BATTLENET after signing in! Its getting clooooooooooooose.
I believe that's what happens when you pre-order digitally.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mutagenic said:
Trying to get to lvl 60 quick. Best places for Horde to lvl 52-60? Thx.
The new Felwood is pretty cool if you haven't done that yet. Just don't do Winterspring afterwards.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Dance, I was in the middle of doing the very thing you recommended against!

As always, you guys are awesome and timely with your help. Thanks.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
GDJustin said:
The more people experiencing the issue the better. More likely to be prioritized by Blizz. I'm playing on a mac. Any chance you are, too?

Deathnote - what we're both describing is the stage AFTER all the data has been DLed. The full amount is downloaded and the launcher isn't trying to DL more. The entire bar is full, and the launcher says "applying updates" but never completes.

I've found the game to be entirely playable in this state.
I never seen the d/l symbol pop up in the applying non critical updates stage and it makes no sense to me. As Alex mentioned, nothing is missing when it's applying non critical updates.

I'm worried more about his problem than yours. Because I've had applying non critical updates pop up and go away a lot the past few days. It makes sense to me that fresh install would stay on that for a while.

But, looks like it's wait and see thing.

Sethos said:
I just bought the digital upgrade, was instant.

Well I started mine like 30 mins before I posted and got the message in the pic on my post..

So .. I dunno what is up. I even tried multiple accounts.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Well I started mine like 30 mins before I posted and got the message in the pic on my post..

So .. I dunno what is up. I even tried multiple accounts.
Make sure you buy it on the account you want to upgrade. I understand if you just wanted to test it out, but you don't get a key.

Twig

Banned
Scrow said:
locks and hunters are probably the two easiest classes to solo level up. let your pets soak damage while you sit back and dish out the pain. no down time whatsoever and you can do many quests that other classes might find difficult to do own their own.
Warriors are remarkably easy as well, once they get their self-heals (though I'm no longer certain at which level that happens).

Also any class that heals. Just go DPS and destroy things, pop a heal when necessary.

Non-elite mobs are almost no trouble at all these days, at least up to level 43 (my current highest level alt).

notsol337

marked forever
I'm going to the midnight release at my local gamestop. I feel like a total patoot but hey... WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Sethos

Banned
Okay, decided to ditch my Human Hunter and head back to my Undead Priest, enjoy some release-night madness - So bring on Cataclysm!

Attached%20Image%20%282%29.gif

Dr. Light

Wow (so to speak). I was all set to come back for this expansion, but now that I'm reading on the forums that there won't be any new servers launching with the expansion (like they did with Burning Crusade) I won't be playing. I'll just keep the CE sealed. What a shame. I haven't played since mid-2007, I am not playing on some shitty stale server. I guess they really don't want people coming back. This is probably a good thing, I'll save a lot of time and money and won't become addicted again. I guess it's a blessing in disguise.

Twig

Banned
Sethos said:
Okay, decided to ditch my Human Hunter and head back to my Undead Priest, enjoy some release-night madness - So bring on Cataclysm!

Attached%20Image%20%282%29.gif
Good man.

HOARD 4 LYFE :SMUG :SMUG

Dr. Light said:
Wow (so to speak). I was all set to come back for this expansion, but now that I'm reading on the forums that there won't be any new servers launching with the expansion (like they did with Burning Crusade) I won't be playing. I'll just keep the CE sealed. What a shame. I haven't played since mid-2007, I am not playing on some shitty stale server. I guess they really don't want people coming back. This is probably a good thing, I'll save a lot of time and money and won't become addicted again. I guess it's a blessing in disguise.
Man this thread keeps delivering on the crazies.

derFeef

Will jump back to it as some friends are playing this hardcore and they told me to support me. Going Goblins but I am not sure about the class. Either Rogue, Hunter or Warlock.

EDarkness

Dr. Light said:

Just pick a low pop server and run with it. Or pick a server where you can join some friends or people from the boards and roll with them. I don't see how new servers are going to change the experience all that much, especially when people can simply roll death knights and jump ahead of the curve anyway.

V_Arnold

Dr. Light said:
iwlxr5.jpg

Waow.... I had no idea people play this game based on what the other 2-3-4-5000 player around them are doing. There are tons of healthy servers, go and play there, if you want to feel fresh. Otherwise, people usually play this game for the sake of playing, and enjoying raiding/quests/instances, not for...what? Non-stale realm feeling in the back of your head?

Twig

Banned
To be fair, he might be talking about "leveling with other people" when he says stale.

But with all the new race/class combos plus two entirely new races... that's not really something to worry about.

If he isn't talking about that, then... well...

Dr. Light said:
So why aren't there fresh servers?
I guess they really don't want people coming back.

V_Arnold

Twig said:
To be fair, he might be talking about "leveling with other people" when he says stale.

But with all the new race/class combos plus two entirely new races... that's not really something to worry about.

I guess they really don't want people coming back.

Actually, in EU, there is two fresh realms, "For New Players" state, not "Recommended", so that must be a new category. But the fuckers did not activate it on Cata day, probably they are afraid to test out new servers in the heat of an expansion. Bunch of kids, hoooO! :D

Enkidu

So I started leveling a Paladin and while I really enjoy what Blizzard have done to the old world (Azshara is amazing), am I the only one who feels leveling is too fast (at least for the lower levels) right now? I guess for the people who see leveling as nothing but an obstacle to get to 80 then it's great but I enjoy the whole experience and so far I feel like I haven't even seen half of what I should before it's time to move onto the next zone.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Actually, in EU, there is two fresh realms, "For New Players" state, not "Recommended", so that must be a new category. But the fuckers did not activate it on Cata day, probably they are afraid to test out new servers in the heat of an expansion. Bunch of kids, hoooO! :D
Those aren't new servers.

"It's correct that we are currently focused on ensuring our existing realms have healthy populations. If you're looking for realms that have the closest thing to that "new realm feeling" as possible, try out our current (and previous) New Player recommended realms: Mazrigos for PvE (alternatively Vek'nilash) and Emeriss for PvP (alternatively Laughing Skull)."

US has 6 servers in the "New Players" category. I hope a lot of people roll on them for a good leveling experience.

Belfast

Dr. Light said:

Play on a newer server? It doesn't have to be fresh out of the box to work correctly, you know.

maniac-kun said:
why are you photographing your monitor when you could press the print key...
Because I already posted it on my twitter and used twitpic so I just reused the link over here..

Yep.. its called "efficiency"

:)

Dr. Light

I played on a new server when BC was released (after not playing for about 16 months) it was a blast. Until almost my entire guild suddenly disbanded and left because there were too many Horde (elves) so I quit and haven't played since. I want another chance.

I don't see how new servers are going to change the experience all that much, especially when people can simply roll death knights and jump ahead of the curve anyway.

Pretty sure you need to have a lvl 55 character to create a Death Knight. Although the whole idea is stupid, it should start at lvl 1 just like any other class but clearly they don't feel like doing that.

Waow.... I had no idea people play this game based on what the other 2-3-4-5000 player around them are doing.

It's an MMO, that's the whole point.

Twig said:

I haven't played WoW for 3.5 years, I'm completely out of the loop as it is. When I played BC everyone was seeing the content for the first time and I was on the same pace as my guild, that wouldn't happen without new servers. Besides, I was kinda looking for a good reason not to come back, and I know from playing WoW in the past that it doesn't leave room for much else. The whole point of this expansion is to basically relaunch the game (I thought) which I assumed meant new servers for new/returning players. WoW is an old game, it needs a fresh start. If you haven't played since April 2007 (and are baffled and annoyed by many of the changes as I am) then you'd understand.

Castor Krieg said:
4000 Justice Points - check.

4000 Honor Points - check.

PvP gear - check.

I'm ready. :lol

I never got around to maxing out Justice Points :/ Only have 900 or so at the moment on my main.

Oh well - they'll be earned quickly enough. It was just too much time to grind out all the points when I had other things to do. Leveled a warrior from 1-80 in the past couple months since I reupped, for example.

Dr. Light

DeathNote said:
Those aren't new servers.

"It's correct that we are currently focused on ensuring our existing realms have healthy populations. If you're looking for realms that have the closest thing to that "new realm feeling" as possible, try out our current (and previous) New Player recommended realms: Mazrigos for PvE (alternatively Vek'nilash) and Emeriss for PvP (alternatively Laughing Skull)."

US has 6 servers in the "New Players" category. I hope a lot of people roll on them for a good leveling experience.

Hmm. Is there a single US server that all GAF new/returning players are rolling on? It has to be PvP... and it has to be West...why can't they just merge the existing low populations and relaunch the remainder day-one with the expansion? It's only every 2 years and there's always a large amount of new and returning players. It's just common sense...

I just don't like being behind the curve. If I could play this game casually I wouldn't care, but I can't, that's why it gets dangerously addictive. Trying to keep up with the Joneses. Better to just not play at all...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dr. Light said:
I played on a new server when BC was released (after not playing for about 16 months) it was a blast. Until almost my entire guild suddenly disbanded and left because there were too many Horde (elves) so I quit and haven't played since. I want another chance.

Pretty sure you need to have a lvl 55 character to create a Death Knight. Although the whole idea is stupid, it should start at lvl 1 just like any other class but clearly they don't feel like doing that.

It's an MMO, that's the whole point.

I haven't played WoW for 3.5 years, I'm completely out of the loop as it is. When I played BC everyone was seeing the content for the first time and I was on the same pace as my guild, that wouldn't happen without new servers. Besides, I was kinda looking for a good reason not to come back, and I know from playing WoW in the past that it doesn't leave room for much else. The whole point of this expansion is to basically relaunch the game (I thought) which I assumed meant new servers for new/returning players. WoW is an old game, it needs a fresh start. If you haven't played since April 2007 (and are baffled and annoyed by many of the changes as I am) then you'd understand.
They cannot keep releasing new servers to cater to the 1-80 experience, which is a fast grind. There are too many low population servers.

One might suggest merging realms then release new realms, but that causes a lot of problems they aren't prepared to handle. Character names, Guild Names, realm first achievements.

What they did was change old world to get people to level and spend time in it. All the 85 content is in old world as well.

You can
1. Level with GAF.
2. Find a high population server with a good amount of people leveling.
3. Find a low population sever with a good amount of people leveling.
4. Choose a server that says "New Players". In Europe, Blizzard said they "feel like a new realm" and they seem to have a decent amount of people leveling on them.

A wise man once said to me (My Dad) shit in one hand, want in the other, and see which one gets filled first. People have been asking blizzard for a new server for a long time and they aren't budging because of the population issues.

derFeef

How does Warlock play? I have not palyed for ages and Warlock was my first ever class I played and I loved the style. I am not sure about the magic as I want something more physical now I think. Decisions, decisions,.. I can see me switching classes every week and never play one character as a main....

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm waiting until tomorrow to go buy the discs with some Gamestation credit i have. I really want the discs, and i have an essay to burn through today so the less distraction the better.

Still really fucking excited though.

Dr. Light

Erm.....eh........um.....I just can't. It's a sign. I'll save the monthly fee and - more importantly - the massive amount of time required. I already have a massive backlog of games I haven't even played yet. Let alone anything not gaming-related! 'Tis a sign from the heavens that I should leave well enough alone.

I gave Blizzard the money for the CE and I'll put it aside just like the still-sealed Lich King CE. And the 2 other sealed Burning Crusade CEs that I bought specifically to resell and could currently sell for about $120 each but can't bring myself to get rid off because of my OCD.

How does Warlock play? I have not palyed for ages and Warlock was my first ever class I played and I loved the style. I am not sure about the magic as I want something more physical now I think. Decisions, decisions,.. I can see me switching classes every week and never play one character as a main....

Warlock was my main the last time I played and it was awesome. So awesome, in fact, that I was going to reroll the same character again. But I don't know what they've done in the past three and a half years, so I suggest you try something different.

Raide

Just trying out a Troll Druid (like everyone else)...damn the water looks awesome. :lol Plus I am Blue with a neon blue-white mohawk when I cat form:D I was always quick at levelling anyway but this is even faster. They thav managed to condense all of those annoying tasks and quests into stuff that is easy and fun.

Dresden

Dr. Light said:
With all the furries and goblins that are going to be churned out by the hour, any decent server will have a good population of low-level players to level with... I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom