• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
borghe said:
holy crap did you guys time it wrong......... up through last week blizzard was offering everything through WotLK for like $25... :(

cheapest bet now is a physical copy from amazon. battlechest is $25 and LK is $20. Not sure how much it is to upgrade to Cat online after that sale ended. My accounts are all upgraded so I just know the base game is $20.. not sure what the expansions cost.

Amazon is showing me $30 for the Battlechest from a third party seller (Canada) so it costs me an extra $10 shipping. Everywhere else was selling the BC for $49.99.

I'm still pissed I missed that deal last week.

Twig said:
Just did what? I'm confused!

You mean someone sent you a RAF invite already?

No, I just paid for my package of $99 goodness. How does this RAF stuff work? Do I get a certain number to send out?

Twig

Banned
DoctorWho said:
No, I just paid for my package of $99 goodness. How does this RAF stuff work? Do I get a certain number to send out?
No, someone sends you a RAF invite, and you accept it,and if you play with them you both receive a 3x experience bonus while you play with each other. And the recruiter gets a free month after you pay for a month and a cool mount after you pay for three, heh.

I THINK that if you buy the games digitally, but don't activate them, yet, you can still try to get a friend to recruit you. So, if you have a friend with whom you want to play, tell them to send you an invite!

Even if I don't play for a long amount of time I'm glad I jumped when that deal for 10$ expansions was around. Well I only had to upgrade to Wrath anyhow but still...

Twig said:
No, someone sends you a RAF invite, and you accept it,and if you play with them you both receive a 3x experience bonus while you play with each other. And the recruiter gets a free month after you pay for a month and a cool mount after you pay for three, heh.

I THINK that if you buy the games digitally, but don't activate them, yet, you can still try to get a friend to recruit you. So, if you have a friend with whom you want to play, tell them to send you an invite!

Sounds good. Trying to think of anyone that I know of who plays.

Twig

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Alternatively, I can send you an invite and even if we don't play together, I get a free months and a sweet mount. O; O;

I'm joking. Sort of. But definitely get a real friend if you have one. The XP bonus is REALLLL nice.

Though if you enjoy the story and quests, I would recommend also playing another character on your own so you can experience the content without being rushed through it.

Twig said:
Alternatively, I can send you an invite and even if we don't play together, I get a free months and a sweet mount. O; O;

(I'm joking. Sort of.)

We shall see. Send me a PM in 24 hours. :lol Do we need to be on the same server? I'm an orc hunter on Area 52.

Twig

Banned
DoctorWho said:
We shall see. Send me a PM in 24 hours. :lol Do we need to be on the same server? I'm an orc hunter on Area 52.
No, same server doesn't matter. But it seems like you've already started if you already have an orc hunter, heh. It's too late then. d:

ultron87

DoctorWho said:

Be warned that while the Triple XP is nice it means you will really quickly outlevel the zones if you actually quest with whoever recruited you. This can be frustrating if you want to actually experience the story of the zones.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DoctorWho said:
you paid $60 (CDN I'm guessing) for everything up to Cat.. while not as good as the $25 last week, it's still not awful and still cheaper than you would have paid like 2 months ago. my guess is the new battlechest when it hits will end up costing probably at least $40-50.

Twig said:
No, same server doesn't matter. But it seems like you've already started if you already have an orc hunter, heh. It's too late then. d:

Ahh, that sucks. Oh well. The e-mail confirmation I received said the trial period might take 72 hours to lift. Don't know if that makes a difference.

EDIT: What if I started a new character? I haven't actually setup my billing stuff. Just digitally bought the package. Maybe I can start one of the new Cat characters. Would be interested in trying one. My Orc is still technically a trial account I guess.

Twig

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Ahh, that sucks. Oh well. The e-mail confirmation I received said the trial period might take 72 hours to lift. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Nah, the RAF actually gives you a trial, and then you upgrade that. IT'S A SHAME but what're you gonna do! (Sucker in someone else so YOU get the free month and mount!)

Twig said:
Nah, the RAF actually gives you a trial, and then you upgrade that. IT'S A SHAME but what're you gonna do! (Sucker in someone else so YOU get the free month and mount!)

Sounds good.

Twig

Banned
DoctorWho said:
EDIT: What if I started a new character? I haven't actually setup my billing stuff. Just digitally bought the package. Maybe I can start one of the new Cat characters. Would be interested in trying one. My Orc is still technically a trial account I guess.
Oh, then actually it still might be okay to do if you don't mind losing your orc.

The question on everyone's mind is: when you purchased the games, did it automatically apply them to your account, or did it send you an email with the keys or some such? If it automatically applied the purchase to your trial account, there's no worming out of it. If you just got emailed a bunch of keys, then as long as you don't manually update your game, it's still possible.

But don't worry about it unless you actually WANT to start over. It's no big.

(Haha I'm taking over the thread with this stuff. I'm sorry.)

Weird,

The one upgrade appears to have given me one key for the whole thing.

It tells me that World of Warcraft: Cataclysm has been added to this Battle.Net account.

Like I said, I haven't setup any billing stuff yet. Don't know if I need to until the end of the month.

I'm heading home in 5 minutes so I'll check it out in more detail then.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Ok, might have roped my friend in again. If I give him one of my old accounts thats upgraded to Lichking he should just be able to attach his copy of cataclysm and pull down all the data from the patcher correct?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Arathi Highlands...what a total downer after the awesomeness of Tirisfall->Silverpine->Hillsbrad. I shoulda gone anywhere else with my new Undead, still so boring and empty.

Yaweee

Brandon F said:
Arathi Highlands...what a total downer after the awesomeness of Tirisfall->Silverpine->Hillsbrad. I shoulda gone anywhere else with my new Undead, still so boring and empty.

Skip it, do something cooler like either STV, or Hinterlands. Do WLP eventually.

Hixx

ToTT is pretty cool. But every boss so far feels like they've designed the heroic version and then just plucked the interesting mechanics out to make it easier. Rather than making it interesting in normal then a real head-scratcher in heroic. But I still really enjoyed them, very tightly tuned and still some moments where one mistake can make a wipe which I like.

mikespit1200 said:
Ok, might have roped my friend in again. If I give him one of my old accounts thats upgraded to Lichking he should just be able to attach his copy of cataclysm and pull down all the data from the patcher correct?

Yeah, as long as you didn't accidentally register that Cata key yet (which I think from your problem you haven't).

Raide

If anyone is wondering about jumping in, GAME uk (in store) was selling Wow Vanilla for £2.99 and Burning for £4.99.

alba

Little is the new Big
If I stopped at burning crusade and want to hop back in, do I need to buy WOTLK too? or can I just skip and go straight cata? :O

Holy shit at the scale of the Lost Isles!!!!

lostisle.jpg

Also, weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Goblin.jpg

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Hmm. Debating on if I want to take my DK to 85, or a roll a goblin... something. If I rolled a goblin Im not sure what class I would do.

Yaweee

alba said:
Thought so. Guess I won't be back :p

Well, even if you don't buy Wrath or Cata, you still have access to the changed world. You just need to do the 70-80 Wrath content before the 80-85 Cata content.

So I did the LK->CT thing and downloaded the ~800mb, when I actually have the Cata game code, how do I upgrade? Is it simply through battle.net?

vehn

holy shit Blizzard just fucked me pretty hard. I did the RAF to start a new account but all today while I was playing I noticed I couldn't invite anybody because it said "Trial Accounts can't invite others" or whatever. I thought that was weird because I fully upgraded the account to Cataclysm and had been playing all day as a Goblin.

So when I hit level 11 it brought me to Orgrimmar and the game just crashed when I entered the city. I tried to log on about 10 minutes later but then it put me in the queue, but the thing is the game still recognizes me as being on a trial account so I pretty much get last priority. My other account logged in the 300 person queue within 5 minutes, but the trial account which ISN'T A TRIAL is stuck in a 600 person queue that keeps increasing and increasing because it puts me in the back of the fucking line. Now it's at 750 people about 10 minutes later and estimates 400+minutes. Ugh I'm never going to be able to log in.

FUCK YOU BLIZZARD

Flib

The Lamonster said:
So I did the LK->CT thing and downloaded the ~800mb, when I actually have the Cata game code, how do I upgrade? Is it simply through battle.net?

If you go to battle.net, you will see large ACTIVATE GAME CODE buttons.

But yeah, just log in to battle.net.

Flib

vehn said:
holy shit Blizzard just fucked me pretty hard. I did the RAF to start a new account but all today while I was playing I noticed I couldn't invite anybody because it said "Trial Accounts can't invite others" or whatever. I thought that was weird because I fully upgraded the account to Cataclysm and had been playing all day as a Goblin.

So when I hit level 11 it brought me to Orgrimmar and the game just crashed when I entered the city. I tried to log on about 10 minutes later but then it put me in the queue, but the thing is the game still recognizes me as being on a trial account so I pretty much get last priority. My other account logged in the 300 person queue within 5 minutes, but the trial account which ISN'T A TRIAL is stuck in a 600 person queue that keeps increasing and increasing because it puts me in the back of the fucking line. Now it's at 750 people about 10 minutes later and estimates 400+minutes. Ugh I'm never going to be able to log in.

FUCK YOU BLIZZARD

It can take up to 72 hours to upgrade from a trial, I believe. Blizz mentions it on their website.

So apparently play.com have told the delivery company who what when and where the parcels are going to... but haven't given them the actual items.

Fucking disgraceful.

Amazon seems to think I'm getting it from them tomorrow but I'd be surprised.

This launch has been terrible for the Collector's Edition. Cata been live 24hours now and still no copy.

vehn said:

FUCK YOU BLIZZARD

As stated already it takes some time, also you have to exhaust the 10 days trial before it puts you on your subscription time. i put in a ticket and they were more than happy to early remove trial for me. ps. trail accounts get no lower priority in the que. there are just alot of people that want to play atm

vehn

Marshmellow said:
As stated already it takes some time, also you have to exhaust the 10 days trial before it puts you on your subscription time. i put in a ticket and they were more than happy to early remove trial for me. ps. trail accounts get no lower priority in the que. there are just alot of people that want to play atm

well I started at #300 and now I'm at #880 30 minutes later. I'm pretty sure they get low priority. Such shit, thats a good way to treat potential customers, never give them the chance to play.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Marshmellow said:
Unless the faq on battle.net is wrong "Realms with login queues will give priority to customers with retail accounts. "

vehn said:

FUCK YOU BLIZZARD

I upgraded from trial today and I the launcher still recognizes me as a trial account so I assume the game will as well. They sent me a message saying it will take up to 72 hours for it to switch to a full Cata account. That sucks, but it is launch day.

The $99 from scratch thing didn't charge me taxes so that is a savings of $13 more as well. :D

Marshmellow said:

Where do I send this ticket?

So I assume while I'm still locked in as a trial I don't have access to Cata races until they upgrade me?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
this will be the last time I'll use Amazon for an MMO delivery. It's not worth saving $20 for release date delivery when they don't deliver on time. Mine has been "In Transit" since 10 am and seems unlikely I'll get it today :/

Twig

Banned
Marshmellow said:
No, once you upgrade, even if you still have time left over on your trial, you are no longer trial.
vein said:
well I started at #300 and now I'm at #880 30 minutes later. I'm pretty sure they get low priority. Such shit, thats a good way to treat potential customers, never give them the chance to play.
Yeah because treating your already-paying customers worse than people just wanting to try a demo is the right way to go.

It takes time to upgrade the account, especially when the servers are as busy as they are right now. It's not like you're going to die if you don't get to play. Calm the hell down and let some time pass. Go read a book.

JWong

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
I don't know, it didn't feel new and cool like the other zones. I wish I could've skipped it and gone straight to blasted lands. That was a lot more fun.
You must have skipped the part where the horde or alliance are in a big epic battle and almost invade your town.

DeathNote said:
Unless the faq on battle.net is wrong "Realms with login queues will give priority to customers with retail accounts. "

Allright seems i was wrong.
TBH vehn, atm there are lots of people on every server, its a crazy time. also its partially your choice of server to play on. But yes im aware of how lame it is, get a mate ingame to submit a ticket asking blizz to remove trial and upgrade to your paid account?

DoctorWho said:
Where do I send this ticket?

So I assume while I'm still locked in as a trial I don't have access to Cata races until they upgrade me?

Press the question mark in game, its red, probably bottom right. Just open a new ticket there and type your issue.

I would assume if your account is upgraded to cata you can start the races. should be fine in that regard. My mate had cata on his account, game still thought he was on trial account and he could get past 20 so i think its just something they havent looked at streamlining

Marshmellow said:
Press the question mark in game, its red, probably bottom right. Just open a new ticket there and type your issue.

I would assume if your account is upgraded to cata you can start the races. should be fine in that regard. My mate had cata on his account, game still thought he was on trial account and he could get past 20 so i think its just something they havent looked at streamlining

Yeah, just checked. I can create the Cata races. Now the question is, do I continue with my Orc or start off a new Worgen. Or go with both?

Area 52 - 504 minute wait time.
:lol

vehn said:
Same thing happened to my wife's newly upgraded trial account on Thanksgiving weekend. It took her 80 minutes to log-in through the queue on Area 52. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom