• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
InsertCredit said:
I just had my connection drop when i was nearing the 500 mark.

fuck this.

It's so annoying - They should really allow some 'emergency' space after an expansion, this is a joke.

Oh and a question for Europe-folk, am I the only one hating the starting zone - It was pretty fun at first, constantly being underwater but now I hit 82 plus some more and it's still only underwater ... Even worse that you have to work in "multi-dimensional" space so to speak, now you can't just search for quests / mobs / objectives around you, now you have to swim up and down, above and under crap, sick of underwater right now.

Sethos said:
It's so annoying - They should really allow some 'emergency' space after an expansion, this is a joke.

Oh and a question for Europe-folk, am I the only one hating the starting zone - It was pretty fun at first, constantly being underwater but now I hit 82 plus some more and it's still only underwater ... Even worse that you have to work in "multi-dimensional" space so to speak, now you can't just search for quests / mobs / objectives around you, now you have to swim up and down, above and under crap, sick of underwater right now.
Somehow that actually sounds awesome to me. Still waiting for my copy so I haven't tried it yet.

Raide

Sethos said:

I liked it initially, especially once you get the mount but it is very samey. Some cool stuff to do but I am getting sick of water. :lol

Sethos

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Somehow that actually sounds awesome to me. Still waiting for my copy so I haven't tried it yet.

Oh yeah, it's awesome at first, provides some challenge but when you a) have to compete with hundreds of other players and b) have to spend 2-3 levels in nothing but water, it loses its charm fast.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Goddamnit, I just got an earful from a friend trying unsuccessfully to upgrade with a boxed copy about how PC gaming sucks and consoles just work. Doesn't help I was crowing about how awesome the game was a few days before. Before this I really thought I could sway him over to the Master Race. Stupid blizzard.

mikespit1200 said:
Goddamnit, I just got an earful from a friend trying unsuccessfully to upgrade with a boxed copy about how PC gaming sucks and consoles just work. Doesn't help I was crowing about how awesome the game was a few days before. Before this I really thought I could sway him over to the Master Race. Stupid blizzard.

That can't be Blizzard's fault, what's wrong with your friend that he can't type in a bunch of letters and numbers correctly?

Raide

mikespit1200 said:

What problems did he have?

I have a boxed copy and put disc it, started install and it asked me to upgrade account. Logged into Battle.net and added key, done!

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
WyndhamPrice said:
That can't be Blizzard's fault, what's wrong with your friend that he can't type in a bunch of letters and numbers correctly?

I dunno he says he gets a generic error when he tries to tie the Cata key to his account. I can't blame him because I had the same issue when I bought my digital copy, it just kicked a generic error and I had to call Blizz who said they've been seeing it a lot. Didn't help that I had to wait on the line for 30 mins...

edit: do you need all the other exp to play cata?

Sethos said:

Hit me up at Kazzak whenever I manage to get on (Hawtpantz).

Rerolled after a 2 year leave of absence and in need of some friends.

RPGCrazied

OMG, the lamest loot card ever!! Its called path of cenarious, all it does, is flowers follow you, and I only got 50 of them. Better than nothing I guess.

Sethos

Banned
InsertCredit said:
Hit me up at Kazzak whenever I manage to get on (Hawtpantz).

Rerolled after a 2 year leave of absence and in need of some friends.

Would do, though I'm on Outlands mate - Overcrowd paradise.

I'm tempted to spend $100 on the whole damn thing with all expansions. Blizzard has the deal on their site. I started up a trial and really like the changes so far. The leveling is fast too.

I'll have to ponder this some more.

bill0527

Just had our realm first level 85 about 10 minutes ago. An alliance DK, who promptly logged out to either avoid getting slammed with 'grats' messages, or to find the nearest bed.

RPGCrazied said:
OMG, the lamest loot card ever!! Its called path of cenarious, all it does, is flowers follow you, and I only got 50 of them. Better than nothing I guess.
Wait... what's this "loot card" business about? Is this reward for buying the CE? Please explain?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Mixed feelings on my server's shifting popularity. It used to be one of the biggest servers in all of WoW, hosting two of the top five raiding guilds in the US. But both guilds transferred away, and now our top guild didn't even kill heroic Lich King.

Sad that we've gone from being the #1 raiding server to #150 or so. Glad that I don't have two hour queues any more. I guess for me it's more good than bad since I don't raid.

RPGCrazied

Reluctant-Hero said:
Wait... what's this "loot card" business about? Is this reward for buying the CE? Please explain?

Yes the CE, you get gamecards, and a chance at a loot card. I didn't get one in the BC CE, but did in the Cata one.

Twig

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
You get one loot card with the CE, as well as a small deck for actually playing.

I got Landro's Gift Box, which I don't know what it does. Apparently in WOTLK I got some stupid pet biscuits and never realized it. ):

RPGCrazied said:
Yes the CE, you get gamecards, and a chance at a loot card. I didn't get one in the BC CE, but did in the Cata one.
I don't think TBC CE had one, though I could be wrong. I think it only started with WOTLK. TBC only had the starter decks.

mikespit1200 said:
I dunno he says he gets a generic error when he tries to tie the Cata key to his account. I can't blame him because I had the same issue when I bought my digital copy, it just kicked a generic error and I had to call Blizz who said they've been seeing it a lot. Didn't help that I had to wait on the line for 30 mins...

edit: do you need all the other exp to play cata?

Yeah, Cata won't work unless you have BC and Lich King first. you'd be lacking all the 60-80 content.

RPGCrazied said:
So this loot card is the card game pack, right? And if you get one, it can be redeemed for an in-game reward in WoW?

Twig

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Also, I thought the CE was supposed to sell out fast. I saw tons on the shelves at lunch time in Toronto.
CE's beyond vanilla have never sold out fast. You can still get TBC CE's pretty cheap, last I checked (about a month ago, out of curiosity).

Meanwhile, I saw vanilla CE for $2300 factory sealed on Amazon.

RPGCrazied

Reluctant-Hero said:
So this loot card is the card game pack, right? And if you get one, it can be redeemed for an in-game reward in WoW?

Yes, which I guess I got the most got one. I had a chance at a mount card, bleh, just my luck. I wish I got the biscuits instead, least then I could make lil deathwing freaking huge.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
WyndhamPrice said:
Yeah, Cata won't work unless you have BC and Lich King first. you'd be lacking all the 60-80 content.

That's his problem then. I thought you could play vanilla with Cataclysm. That's kind of dumb though for people just like him that maybe have vanilla or maybe one exp. What if you just wanted to roll a goblin/worgen?

mikespit1200 said:
That's his problem then. I thought you could play vanilla with Cataclysm. That's kind of dumb though for people just like him that maybe have vanilla or maybe one exp. What if you just wanted to roll a goblin/worgen?

lol wut?

If all you have is vanilla you get access to all the changes in vanilla wow. That doesn't mean you get access to the races included in cataclysm.

shuri said:
is there some sort of all-in-package that i can buy from blizzard's online shop?

Yesterday I checked what it would cost to upgrade to everything from my trial and they had a complete package for $99. Vanilla + BC + WoTLK + Cat.

So basically $25 for each. Don't know if that deal is still on today but I might bite.

Twig

Banned
mikespit1200 said:
It is dumb. But that's the way it is. \:
funkmastergeneral said:
lol wut?

If all you have is vanilla you get access to all the changes in vanilla wow. That doesn't mean you get access to the races included in cataclysm.
No, his friend has vanilla and Cataclysm, but nothing in between.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
funkmastergeneral said:
lol wut?

That's what I mean. What if you just have vanilla and you just want to buy Cataclysm to play around with goblin and worgen?

Yaweee

Changes to Silithus:
- Redone level ranges so it covers a smaller range (used to be 50~60, now 55~60)
- Quest givers for AQ raids moved to the instance entrances rather than town.
- AQ20 changed to AQ10
- Town has a portal to Blasted Lands

I guess the level range change is pretty significant, as you can go and get a few levels at once more easily than you could before. The same is technically true for the other un- or barely- changed zones; just redoing the level range makes the entire zone flow together at once rather than having to do it in ~2 trips.

As for the expansion confusion, I think Blizzard should update the battle chest and slowly phase out the individual products, like they have for all their previous battle chests. It is needlessly confusing to require that long of a chain of products in sequence.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
mikespit1200 said:
Didn't he get the boxed version? It says right on the front of the box that you need to be current up to Lick King.

mikespit1200 said:
That's what I mean. What if you just have vanilla and you just want to buy Cataclysm to play around with goblin and worgen?

It doesn't work that way. Can't play Blood Elves or Draenei without BC either.

Twig

Banned
Mutagenic said:
Didn't he get the boxed version? It days right on the front of the box that you need to be current up to Lick King.
You can't really fault someone for not understanding how PC expansions work, even if it says it straight on the box. Shit is confusing for people who aren't used to it.

DoctorWho said:
Yesterday I checked what it would cost to upgrade to everything from my trial and they had a complete package for $99. Vanilla + BC + WoTLK + Cat.

So basically $25 for each. Don't know if that deal is still on today but I might bite.
Damn, they should really bring back their thanksgiving deal. Vanilla was $5, TBC was $5 and WotLK was $15. All digital of course, but still ab awesome deal. I went ahead and upgraded my wife's trial account all the way to LK just incase it really hooked her.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Twig said:
You can't really fault someone for not understanding how PC expansions work, even if it says it straight on the box. Shit is confusing for people who aren't used to it.

Right, I had no idea you needed all the exp. I would think it would be a pretty easy oversite especially for a consoler who barely games on the PC.

Twig

Banned
Also every time I see "Lick King" I picture that Pokémon, what is it, Lickitung? Wielding Frostmourne. With his tongue. Only it's frozen to his tongue because it's all cold and icy and shit.

Ahh man I wish I could draw.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
shuri said:
is there some sort of all-in-package that i can buy from blizzard's online shop?

DoctorWho said:

holy crap did you guys time it wrong......... up through last week blizzard was offering everything through WotLK for like $25... :(

cheapest bet now is a physical copy from amazon. battlechest is $25 and LK is $20. Not sure how much it is to upgrade to Cat online after that sale ended. My accounts are all upgraded so I just know the base game is $20.. not sure what the expansions cost.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Damn, they should really bring back their thanksgiving deal. Vanilla was $5, TBC was $5 and WotLK was $15. All digital of course, but still ab awesome deal. I went ahead and upgraded my wife's trial account all the way to LK just incase it really hooked her.

Wish I had done the Thanksgiving deal too but I've gone with this one now. No turning back.

I look at the breakdown more like this.

$40.00 Cat
$30.00 WotLK
$15.00 BC
$15.00 Vanilla

I was trying to find the Battlechest for a reasonable price in Canada but couldn't. This was the next best deal. :lol

Last I checked, the Battlechest was $30 from a third party seller on Amazon. They were charging me $10 shipping on top of that.

Twig

Banned
They should really just lower the price for the pre-requisites permanently, to something really cheap. It's so dumb that they don't. The barrier for entry should not be so ridiculous.

Yeah, I know, you can just buy vanilla and play that to start with, but still.

DoctorWho said:
Wish I had done the Thanksgiving deal too but I've gone with this one now. No turning back.

I look at the breakdown more like this.

$40.00 Cat
$30.00 WotLK
$15.00 BC
$15.00 Vanilla

I was trying to find the Battlechest for a reasonable price in Canada but couldn't. This was the next best deal. :lol
Do you have a Recruit-A-Friend, yet? U:

Twig said:
They should really just lower the price for the pre-requisites permanently, to something really cheap. It's so dumb that they don't. The barrier for entry should not be so ridiculous.

Yeah, I know, you can just buy vanilla and play that to start with, but still.

Do you have a Recruit-A-Friend, yet? U:

Just did it 5 minutes ago. Haven't received anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom